Profile Racing Boa Stem Stem

3.1/5 (10 Reviews)

Profile Boa Stem

Submitted by aaron a Downhiller from aberdeen

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2002

Strengths:    LOOKS, STRENGTH, WITHSTANDS 360 FLIP TO FACEPLANTS, DOES NOT COME SLACK.

Weaknesses:    NONE SO FAR

Bottom Line:
GOOD CHEAP STEM. STRONG AND ANYONE WHO RECKONS IT COMES SLACK SHOULD EITHER TIGHTEN IT RIGHT OR DEGREASE THE INSIDE OF THERE STEERER TUBE. HOLDS UP TO CRASHES O.K

Purchased At:   a shop

Similar Products Used:   GT F-ING LONG THING.

Bike Setup:   GT ZASKAR, HALSON INVERTED FORKS, RITCHEY RIMS, DEORE LX, X-LITE BITS.

Submitted by Buddy a Cross Country Rider from Indianapolis, Indiana, USA

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2001

Strengths:    Nothing

Weaknesses:    Paint Scratches easly,(do'nt really care but hey its not great)Ugly, Doesn't stay tight, Breaks

Bottom Line:
I got this stem for my birthday and it creaks I don't know if it was the stem/handlebar or just the handlebar or just the stem but i tightened it and the screw pulled out all the threads and i wasn't torquing it i had a mini tool.

Purchased At:   Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Nothin this bad

Submitted by Rommel Upshur a Weekend Warrior from Cleveland Heights, OH

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2000

Strengths:    Looks Good. Stiff enough for me.Feels sturdy. Hasn't loosened. What more can I ask for, it holds my handlebar tight and high.

Bottom Line:
Simple,no gimick stem. It has worked for me for over a year. I'm 6'2" and needed a higher handle bar height. It does the job without fanfare. A more colorful stem would have been nice, but for 10.00 from performance bike, I can handle the color just fine.

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   unnamed oem stem

Bike Setup:   Raleigh M-80

Submitted by Bacoes a Weekend Warrior from Indy

Date Reviewed: October 6, 1999

Strengths:
looks good
Profile name

Weaknesses:
doesn't work

Bottom Line:
The stupid thing won't stay tight. I rode it for about half a mile after first putting it on, then realized that it was loose. Tightened it up, rode down a flight of stairs and it was loose again. It will be returned soon.

less than 1 month

Submitted by Kirk Darling a Weekend Warrior from Omaha, NE

Date Reviewed: March 27, 1999

Strengths:
Price
Availability

Weaknesses:
Weight

Bottom Line:
Works well. Slightly heavier than more expensive stems. Came in the now-outdated 1-1/4 Evolution size I needed. The edges of the bolt housing are sharp and will slice a quad if you're unlucky. I took a metal file to it and filed all the edges smooth in about an hour.

Wabash Trace

1 Year

Avenir
Fisher
Trek

Fisher KaiTai hardtail

Submitted by Steve a cross-country rider from St.Paul

Date Reviewed: May 26, 1998

Bottom Line:

I looked at the BOA but went with the Profile Stiffy instead. Both are a great value. The stiffy was about $25.00 more than the BOA. It is indeed stiff, the quality ranks with that of the ELITE in my opinion and costs a fraction of the price. Plus how many companies will replace their stems for $10 bucks if U break them?? Tomac is also using profile on his new prototype rides.

Submitted by Johan Berglund a weekend warrior from Sweden

Date Reviewed: May 24, 1998

Bottom Line:

I bought this stem because I wanted to increase the height of my handlebar, so I got a 120mm/40 degree-one. This stem has worked absolutely perfect, I've had no problems at all with it, and I haven't noticed any conisiderable amount of flex either. This is good stem which comes in a lot of sizes and angles, it's lightweight, looks good and it's cheap. I give it five chilis for being priceworthy.

Submitted by Derek Brewster a cross-country rider from England

Date Reviewed: January 3, 1997

Bottom Line:

I bought the Boa 'cos it was cheap. The first ride I had major problems with the stem coming loose in the steerer, so I removed some of the grease and reinstalled. Absolutely no problems after that. Good, solid, cheap stem.
I used it for 6 months then upgraded.

Submitted by Justin Hoppmann a cross-country rider from Gainesville, Fl

Date Reviewed: December 7, 1996

Bottom Line:

I bought this stem when I upgraded to suspension in Jan. 96
In July in sloppy conditions at the Florida Sunshine State Games,
1/4 miles into the race the handelbar bolts stripped out almost completely costing me the race.
I finished fifth but I know without the problem with the stem could have easily won.
The next day I took my bike into a local shop, and low and behold
Profile has a lifetime warranty. I was given a new stem and have no problems since.
Too bad I lost $20 for the entry fee

Submitted by Jon a weekend warrior from Haleiwa, Hawaii

Date Reviewed: May 24, 1996

Bottom Line:

I purchased the Profile Boa ATB stem for $19.95 from a popular bicycling catalog.
I should have known that something so cheap would be just plain junk. I tried to
secure the stem into a 1 threaded type steerer tube on a Rock Shox Q21R and the
stem just wouldn't hold. No matter how tight I tried to make it, it went out of
alignment with the fork and wheel with just a little knee tap on the tire. I liked
the look of this aluminum stem, but that's all that's going for it. Needless to
say, I sent the thing back and went to a local bike shop for a steel Avenir stem
that worked wonderfully.
I wish there were a no-star rating because this stem would get it.