Home | Reviews | Stem | Pace

4.38/5 (8 Reviews)

Pace XC Stem

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Edinburgh

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2003

Strengths:    Strong, flex free, colour(?)

Weaknesses:    Expensive

Bottom Line:
I had this stem on my old Pace HT and it did everything it said on the tin. Never any problems. I even had a set of xlite risers in it, but for some reason my LB (and I trust them implicitly) couldn't get easton carbon xc monkeylites into them (and they weren't going to force the issue). So great stem, cool colours, does what it should. Only a pity it isn't on the new bike, but what is......?

Favorite Trail:   Mabie Forest, but Porcupine rim is quite good

Purchased At:   Riks Bike Shed

Similar Products Used:   the precursor to the Xlite Angelo stem

Bike Setup:   Orange sub 5, with the usual stupid money parts thrown at it to make me a better rider (in the carpark)

Submitted by John Stokes a Weekend Warrior from Monmouthshire, Wales, UK

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2002

Strengths:    Strong, Stiff, Lightweight 150g (120 mm length)+ Wedge 24g, Well made, No corrosion

Weaknesses:    Can't fit my new Easton CT" Carbon Riser bars. The single bolt bar clamp design is too tight to wriggle in the bars without possible damage to the bars, big shame.

Bottom Line:
I'd love to keep this stem, there is zero detectable flex, and it looks as good a new after 2 years riding Welsh boggy wet conditions. The big problem is the bar clamp design just doesn't open wide enough to get some carbon riser bar through. Now I am looking for an equivalent with removable front plate, eg. Bontrager Race Lite or similar.

Favorite Trail:   Afon Argoed

Purchased At:   Sunset Cycles Cardiff

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager OEM with the Klien Attitude, also good value

Bike Setup:   Klein Attitude, Pace RC36 Pro Forks, Xlite XC Riser bars about to be changed to Monkey light Carbon Risers, Chris King Nothreadset

Submitted by Si a Cross Country Rider from UK

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2001

Strengths:    Its made by Pace. It's looks awesome. It's light and stiff as hell. The Pewter colour matches the stickers outlines on my bike !

Weaknesses:    Only that getting risers through is a bit touch and go. I use a Roox Carbon Riser bar with a very low rise and that was hard going !

Bottom Line:
This is one fantastic bit of kit. After I'd sold some blood to buy the bits for my bike I was ready to cut costs on the stem, then someone in a bike shop lobbed this beauty at me. I went out and sold some more blood to get it. Its light, really well made and does indeed have 'ickle bolts (see other reviews !) but i've only ever touched them one, the Titanium wedge is ok - its never caused me any problems and the clamp bolts seem to hold the bars tight on mine (I did put a piece of tape around the bar to make it a slightly tighter fit). Top bit of kit, would get 6 chillies but 5 will have to do !

Similar Products Used:   Zoom, Uno, Art

Bike Setup:   GT Psyclone, Pace Evo 3's, Hope XC4, XT, Chris King H/set, Hope Hubs etc

Submitted by Peter St-Amour a Cross Country Rider from Mold, North Wales

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2000

Strengths:    Beautiful design, stiff, extremely light, did I say stiff?

Weaknesses:    Not cheap

Bottom Line:
The Pace stem has improved the handling immeasurably. It's so very stiff it's not true and has build quality to die for. With regard to the comments about bolts being too small, they're meant to be that way to prevent you swinging on them like apes and overtightening. Having said that, having done the ti-wedge up I can't get it undone despite copious amounts of copper ease during assembly.
But I'll worry about that another time; as it stands this is a fantastic bit of kit

Favorite Trail:   Tank trail

Similar Products Used:   ITM, Zoom

Bike Setup:   Marin Mount Vision, Pace RC36 Pro-Class forks, XT, XTR, Mavic Ceramics, Hope BULBS, Titec bars

Submitted by Anthony Braidford a Cross Country Rider from Newcastle England

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2000

Strengths:    Looks fantastic, some thought went into this one!
Quality second to non

Weaknesses:    Cant find any

Bottom Line:
I ordered the stem then found this site and read not very good reviews and panicked, but its perfect, I have had no probs with getting grip on bars or steerer, I weigh 156lbs and ride hard as poss!
buy one today, forget ringle and syncros.
not for risers as i found out expensivley!

Favorite Trail:   Romero canyon Santa Barbara,Ca

Similar Products Used:   icon stuff, light cheap but mass produced.
Kore Elite, nice but not good lookin enough.

Bike Setup:   custom made (Frame teck UK) titanium hard tale, out and out cross country speed machine, full 98 xtr, 98 judy sl's, easton ct2 bars and post, fizik saddle.

Submitted by Steeve a Cross Country Rider from Berne, Switzerland

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2000

Strengths:    as with everything pace, cool looks, i think it is the best looking stem on the market

light weight

Weaknesses:    horribly low steerer clamping force!
which means in plain words: everytime you fall (and this tends to happen a lot on ultra boggy scottish trails, but then, this is beyond johnny foreigners' capabilities..)
your bar takes a turn to (just like a std. threaded stem..)

I think their titanium wedge is just utter nonsense (cannot really say crap in conjunction with pace..)

everyone should now that titanium is an absotely useless material for making nuts (this is essentially what the wedge is..despite some people displaying proudly 'my nuts are titanium' t-shirts)

Anyone remembered the awful noise and jerking when tightening the bolts of a ti bottom bracket?

mine was a '98 model, to top it off, it had a ti steerer clamping bolt as well, making the absolute most possible useless clamping combination of all.
So, me (a textbook weiht weenie at that time) replaced the ti clamping bolt with a steel one. This held the bar a wee bit tighter, but still not ideal

Bottom Line:
Ok, maybe straight bars stuck in 135 mm flat stems are a thing of the past,

but pace care for eccentrics, so they could both make their stem lighter, cheaper and steerer-grabby by using a aluminium wedge with a ti bolt..

However, it is still unbelievably cool, would it be any less if it were sensible as well?
Maybe ti nuts are cool once again?

Favorite Trail:   dh funpark todtnau germany

Similar Products Used:   Control Tech 135 mm (it was 20 grams heavier, looked plain normal, but it worked..)

Bike Setup:   Litespeed Obed Ti hardtail
bastard SID with yellow Judy SL sliders
blue trick bits
= 22 lbs (10 kg)

Submitted by Nuno Dias a Cross-Country Rider from Oporto, Portugal

Date Reviewed: December 7, 1999

Strengths:
Beautifully sculptured;
Available in XTR grey;

Weaknesses:
Available only with 0º rise;
Pace plate is not removable;
Bolts are too soft - a common Pace problem.

Bottom Line:
A beautiful stem that can give problems with tightening the handlebar, as bolts are too soft and not enough tightening space is provided. This can lead to creaking. Also the face plate is not removable, which makes the fitting of a handlebar more time-consuming and complicated. The XTR grey colouring can also be easily removed if care is not taken when fitting it.

6 months

Ritchey CompLite
FRM Web-Stem

GIANT ATX 990 with Stratos HelixPro shock and Pace Evo Pro fork.

Submitted by Christopher a Cross-Country Rider from England

Date Reviewed: October 30, 1999

Strengths:
Very, very light
Beautiful finishing
Retro looks

Weaknesses:
Not a front-loader
Clamp bolt rounds off

Bottom Line:
Nice piece of kit, at a lower price than other fancy stems. BUT, the clamp bolt rounds off very easily, leaving you with a useless chunk of metal.
When in working order, it's worth about 4/5.

1 Year

Orange OEM (OK)
Syncros (terrible)

Orange/Pace

Weight of Specy XC 75mm stem

Does anyone know the weight of the stock Specy XC stem in the 75mm length? Figured someone may know and save me from pulling apart my cockpit to weigh it. I am getting a Syntace F109 claimed at 109g and just want to see what I will save.Read More »

How much stem/bar difference from your XC rig to your AM rig?

Hi folks, hoping I can see what others do and determine whats reasonable for me-- looking for feedback. I have years of experience on XC racing rigs and wondering whether I have my AM bike setup accordingly, or if my AM setup is limiting my abilities on the gnarly steep stuff. At 5'11", I have l ... Read More »

would you use this stem on an xc mtb?

I only ask cos it's specifically listed in the 'road' section. My hunch is that it would be fine, but I'd like a few other opinions please. Here's the link: [url=http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=55167]3T Arx Pro Stem | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com[/url] What do ... Read More »

Paid Spam: Parting out Litespeed Ti w/ Ritchey Logic fork, xc pro, & ti stem/seatpost

Here's the link: [url=http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=77600&title=parting-out-litespeed-titanium-2c-xc-pro-2c-ritchey-logic-fork-2c-misc&cat=40]Parting out Litespeed Titanium, XC Pro, Ritchey Logic fork, misc - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories[/url] Aw ... Read More »

Sunline XC-1 Stem

Has anyone broken one of these? Heard of a broken one? I threw mine on the scale the other day and its 112g. It felt really safe until I saw how light it is;) Its on my trail bike which doesnt get used for anything I wouldnt hit on my hardtail race bike. Im 210lbs. Safe?Read More »