Koski Engineering Stem Stem

4.64/5 (11 Reviews)
Weight : 235 grams (135mm length)

Cold forged 6061-T6 Aluminum extension with welded head
  • 4-Bolt removable bar clamp
  • 1 1/8" Steerer Diameter
  • Available in 5 or 15 degree rise
  • Available in 60, 95, 105, 115, 125 and 135mm lengths
  • Available in Polished Silver or Shot Blast Black
  • Weight: (135mm length) 235g.

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Andy from Beautiful BC

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2005

Strengths:    Great selection of sizes.

Bottom Line:
    Great stem for a great price. Leave the CF and other weight saving crud for the roadies. It has taken the abuse I've dished out with no compaints what so ever. 5 for 5 on this puppy

Similar Products Used:   Kalloy

Bike Setup:   '03 Devinci

Submitted by joshster a Weekend Warrior from oakland

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2004

Strengths:    strong, powdercoat finish, 4 bolt cap, easy to remove logo

Weaknesses:    not CF light, but then it's a stem & therefore not the best place to save weight
    Lousy labels (no complaints though)

Bottom Line:
    This is a competent, beefy stem with a nice finish. The stickers were peeling, which I think is why it was in a clearance box at the Kelly swap meet. I just used a spoon handle to scrape off the remaining stickers & buffed it out afterwards. Looks sweet now & helped cut down the number of logos on my bike. Peeled the stickers off of my Marzocchi too, so the rig's looking pretty sweet & stealth.

Favorite Trail:   eldridge grade

Purchased At:   Kelly factory swap meet

Similar Products Used:   kalloy, kona stock (kalloy?), ritchey

Bike Setup:   kokopelli

Submitted by Bizario a Cross Country Rider from Rexford, MT

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2002

Strengths:    Price, Qulity, Stiff and looks good.

Weaknesses:    Weight (but only if you compare it to stems 3X the price)

Bottom Line:
    Ok, It’s not a Thomson… but if you are a bit shy on the bucks this is the stem for you. I bought 2 of these as interim stems as I gave my wife the Thomson off my GT and needed a stem till I got something better. I put the other on my Marin MVP to get the geometry right until I could scratch up the bucks for a Thomson. Well, 3 months down the road I have to say that the one on my GT will stay. It looks good, feels stiff and it is a bit on the heavy side; but we are talking about a $19 stem. I will spend the extra cash for the Thomson on my MVP as I like the looks (This is just me being anal) and I strive to keep this bike light. I have had no problem with decals (I’m not sure that they are decals) coming off and the only reason to worry about the amount of torque that you use on these stems is so that you don’t crush your bars. This stem is clearly worthy of being classified with stems over twice its price and the length / angle selection is pretty good.
    Bottom line… I give this stem 5 flaming Habaneros

Favorite Trail:   Web Mountain

Purchased At:   Jesan USA

Similar Products Used:   Thamson Elite, Easton EA 60, a few nopname stems.

Bike Setup:   2000 GT Zaskar X (Custom) & 2002 Marin Mount Vision Pro

Submitted by Hervisaurus a Cross Country Rider from IL

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2002

Strengths:    Super stiff, really sturdy 4 bolt removable face plate, good weight to strength ratio

Weaknesses:    Not available in 0 Degree rise

Bottom Line:
    It's one of the nicest stems I've used. It's not the lightest stem in the world, so if you're a super weight weenie, don't bother, but it usually beats stock on most bikes. It's really strong and it's the stiffest part of my front end. Everything else under my hands flexes like hell but this thing doesn't move. The forging on it is beautiful. The only problem I found is the rise. I ride a 21 inch frame with a massive head tube, so the angle of my fork is set way back. It would be nice if they offered it in a 0 degree rise or even a negative. Also everyone else has been complaining about their decals coming off, but my stem is laser etched. They must have gotten ripped off. Simply put, if you're looking for a really lightweight stem, go elswhere, but if you don't give a damn buy this stem, it's fantastic. 5 burning mounds of platypus excrement for the value (can't beat 8 bucks) and, although they didn't have a 0 degree, I'm not gonna penalize them on the overall.

Purchased At:   Private Dealer

Bike Setup:   Trek 9900 custom

Submitted by Hank a Weekend Warrior from Plano, TX USA

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2002

Strengths:    secure fit. The look is okay, but nashbar's version isn't polished, it's a dull silver-like powder.

Weaknesses:    the brand stickers. Again, nashbar's version isn't polished silver, so it doesn't match the other silver components on my bike. But who cares... I do alittle :)

Bottom Line:
    For $10, this is a good deal. I still like the polished silver version!!

Purchased At:   nashbar

Similar Products Used:   stock trek and stock mongoose

Bike Setup:   Mongoose Zero G3 2001, duke C, oury grips, syncros aluminum flat stem

Submitted by blasto a Weekend Warrior from Deer Park, NY

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2001

Strengths:    4 bolt pattern
    super strong
    stays tight

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
    The four bolt pattern stays tight, holds bar secure
    Black shot-peened looks great
    Beautifully forged--no welds
    Great value

Favorite Trail:   Cathedral Pines

Similar Products Used:   titec

Bike Setup:   '99 voodoo hoodoo, xt driven, truvativ stylo, avid brakes, salsa post

Submitted by Jim T a Weekend Warrior from Flatlands : (

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2001

Strengths:    Fit and finish, strength, very nice welds.

Weaknesses:    Why finish this beautiful stem with crappy decals, even my stock marin stem is screen printed.

Bottom Line:
    Looks like a nicely made product, upon installation the decals started peeling off the beautiful shot peened finish. The 4 bolt clamp holds the bar securely and the stem clamp works fine. The welds are consistant and fit and finish are beautiful, why would you finish off such a nice product with crappy decals. With the decals coming off in my hands and the rise not exactly what I wanted (this was my fault not Koskis)this went back, and I purchased a Thomson.

Favorite Trail:   Nebo Ridge, Story, IN

Purchased At:   mail order

Submitted by peter a Cross Country Rider from herndon,va

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2001

Strengths:    cost, looks great

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
    not only does the shot peen finish look great, the stem is fully funtional with no problems. the four bolt clamp holds with no problem. the decal is not laser etched, but once its fully off, i probably will not replace. best stem i have had so far.

Favorite Trail:   difficult run

Purchased At:   mtbr.com

Similar Products Used:   ritchey, kalloy, coda

Bike Setup:   hardtail with rockshox and litespeed handlebar

Submitted by Christian a Weekend Warrior from Warrenton VA

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2000

Strengths:    Stiff
    Looks cool
    4 bolt pattern
    Takes a hell of torquing on screws and like it

Weaknesses:    Black version should sya mad max on it

Bottom Line:
    I really really really like this stem, got it free with the purchase of my fork and front wheel from supergo (boy that rhyno lite rim they sent was old!! cheapskates :) )

Along with my ringle uncle jesse bar and my 20mm axle, it makes a hell of a stiff front end for my bike! The only flex left comes from within (or something)

At first I thought this stem would never fit the kinda rinding I wanted to do with it (jumping and some light trials and DS), but it works GREAT with azonic's DS1 frame... (talk about cheapskates try Azonic) (cheap bashtaaads)... (their frame still is cool tho)

Anyways, this stem rocks and it rocks even more coz t'was free...

Christian =)

Favorite Trail:   old pharm

Similar Products Used:   Klein stems, generic stems, etc

Bike Setup:   Azonic DS1, bomber Z3QR20, rhyno lites, HS33s, ringle uncle jesse bar, FSA pig headset, Haro platform pedals, koski stem

Submitted by Tom a Cross Country Rider from Boxford, MA

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2000

Strengths:    cool looking
    doesnt loosen up
    not very heavy

Weaknesses:    the logo is not lazer etched, its stuck on w/ decals

Bottom Line:
    pretty good stem, i got it in a build kit and i havent had any trouble with it. Looks like its pretty durable. the stickers are kinda cheap looking