Home | Reviews | Stem | Icon

Icon Icon gaphics Stem

Icon Icon gaphics

Submitted by Jordan a Weekend Warrior from Maryland

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2005

Strengths:    cheap, pretty light

Weaknesses:    This stem is of very low quality.

Bottom Line:
This review is for the Icon DC stem. You can get it on ebay or at pricepoint($2 as of 10/10/05).
I had to buy a new stem because my fork and stem were stolen. I thought it's just a stem, so I'll get something cheap. Bad idea. I am very unsatisfied with this stem. I guess I had it coming to me. It was $0.01 plus $9 shipping on eBay.
When I first installed the bars onto the stem, one of the bolts stripped the threads in the hole before it was even tight(I didn't over tighten). I decided to go for a ride even with a half stripped hole. The other part of the stem couldn't seem to stay tight on the steerer tube. Every 5 minutes, I had to stop and tighten everything back up.
Basically this is a very cheap stem in price and build quality. I'm giving it 3 chilis in value because I only spent $9 on it. Maybe yours won't be as bad. I'm giving it 1 chili for overall rating because I thought it was a horrible stem.

Favorite Trail:   this review is for the Icon DC stem

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   original titec stem that came on my giant

Bike Setup:   Giant XTC SE2, Marzocchi MX Comp w/ ETA, Avid discs, Raceface Crankset, SRAM drivetrain

Submitted by Troy boy a Cross Country Rider from Roy

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2005

Strengths:    Strength, reliability

Bottom Line:
Stem came on my 2000 Trek 8000 and converted it to my Jamis Dakar and haven't had one problem with it what so ever. If you can find one to buy for a good price, definitly go for it.

Favorite Trail:   Wheeler Creek/Maples

Purchased At:   Came with Trek 8000

Bike Setup:   Jamis Dakar, XT drivetrain, Avid mech's

Submitted by næstep a Cross Country Rider from SF Bay Area, CA

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2003

Strengths:    Good price, hasn't broken on me yet

Weaknesses:    Single bolt allows handlebar flex

Bottom Line:
I've been using this stem on and off for the past few years. I'm pretty sure I bought it for around $10 or $15 online at Supergo or Jenson just because I needed a cheap 90mm stem to act as my starting point before picking the "right" stem for the bike.

It's not a bad little stem. It's unobtrusive, an "XTR Grey" color with toned-down laser etched graphics.

It surprisingly came with a decent installation sheet including all important torque values. All important I say because it's got only a single bolt clamping the hinged face plate to the bar, and I have to admit that setup has made me a little nervous.

That single fastener allow for some handlebar flex, but not an awful lot. I've currently got the stem installed on a 29"er hardtail with 1" risers, and the bars do give a little on my more intense uphill struggles. The stem has never let go of my bar, though, and shows no signs of doing so.

Submitted by Russell Ruggiero a Weekend Warrior from West Windsor, NJ, USA

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2003

Strengths:    Light-weight and well built

Bottom Line:

Dear
Reader

I own the ICON Onyx and Graphite Series of products. They are both well built and very light-weight. I have upgraded my STP 200 from Onyx to Graphite, which is lighter and stronger than the the original Onyx stem. Both of these products (Onyx/Graphite) are top quality, but carry a very low entry point. Hence, their great value. While Easton is the best, it will set you back $150 vs $30 for the ICON.

ICON products have graced Klein and Trek products for many years, so they cannot be all that bad. Buy all you can, for the supply is limited. I own a Trek STP 200, Trek 4900, Trek 4500, and Trek 4300 with some very cool components. The ICON stuff is a real sleeper.

Sincerely
Russ

Favorite Trail:   R&D

Purchased At:   Jay's Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager

Bike Setup:   STP 200 (Graphite) and 4300 (Onyx)

Submitted by næstep a Cross Country Rider from SF Bay Area, California

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2000

Strengths:    It's light enough, it's strong enough, and, gosh darn it, it's cheap enough. Looks good too!

Weaknesses:    None apparant

Bottom Line:
Nice stem! I tested the 90mm x 6° for about a month. Clamps well to the steerer. I used this stem successfully with a Conix steerer tube adapter. The single bolt handlebar clamp did not creak or allow any handlebar twist with my Bontrager bar. The front of the clamp "cover" has a hole cut into it to allow easy centering of the bar. Laser etched graphics look good, too soon to tell how durable the finish is.

Unfortunately, this stem's going bye-bye for a longer reach, higher rise Titec.

Purchased At:   SuperGo

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager Race

Bike Setup:   Fisher Joshua

Submitted by Derek a Cross Country Rider from Edmonds, WA

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2000

Strengths:    Looks good IMO, 149g for 90mm, 165g for 105mm (what I have), holds up, outstanding value.

Bottom Line:
Very good value and one of the lightest at any price. Took it downhilling just after I got it and it held up fine. Nice color and tough finish.

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   Specialized, Trek "System 1", others

Bike Setup:   Trek 7000

Submitted by Rikard Christiansen a Weekend Warrior from Stockholm, Sweden

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2000

Strengths:    Light, Stiff

Weaknesses:    The hinge...

Bottom Line:
I like this product but there is one thin!
"The hinge creaks" To adjust this you need to grease the hinge before put it on place.

Favorite Trail:   AWD

Purchased At:   Cykelspecialisten

Similar Products Used:   ControlTech, Salsa, Kore

Bike Setup:   Kona Ku with various components

Submitted by Matt a Cross Country Rider from Berkeley, CA

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2000

Strengths:    light, hinged clamp

Weaknesses:    insufficient clamping force, low profile, color

Bottom Line:
I pretty much hate this stem. The first day I had it, I was climbing with the bar ends--and sitting down, no less--when the handlebar suddenly rotated forward! At 200 lbs. I'm no wimp when it comes to Allen wrenches, so I was more than a little surprised, not to mention scared. I was able to pull the bars back in position, though. I thought maybe it was "operator error" and when I got home I torqued on the allen bolt really hard, which seemed to solve the problem. Then, one day, after fiddling with my handlebar and re-installing it, it happened again. I actually became concerned I was going to strip the bolt. There's only one, after all.
Then I realized, after a few trail rides, that my front end was flexing. I replaced it with a Bontrager AHS and, surprise surprise, the flex almost completely went away! Do not buy this stem unless you are a wafer-thin XC racer under about 150 lbs.

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager AHS, various threaded junk

Bike Setup:   Airborne Lucky Strike, '99 SID XC

Submitted by John Jose a Cross Country Rider from Yokota AB Japan

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2000

Strengths:    Price -- only $20 at Supergo
Weight -- only about 149g for the 90mm
Quality -- Rigid, good material and welds, don't care if it is made in Taiwan!

Weaknesses:    Selection -- although good in comparison with other stem manufacturers, I wish I could find this one in a zero degree rise
Looks -- personally I don't mind the bullheaded appearance this stem presents, but some riders may not feel the same

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is you just can't beat the value you get with this stem! I now own four of these things and don't intend to purchase stems for a long time. This Durante is strong, light, uniquely designed and good looking. I usually spend much more cash on high-end parts, but I am very happy with Icon's product and highly recommend it to all riders. I'll give 5 for value and save the overall 5 for those Ti stem owners that fork out the mad cash!

Similar Products Used:   Syncros, OEM's

Bike Setup:   K2 4000, Marzocchi Z1.X-Fly, RaceFace Cranks, Speedplay Frogs, XTR/XT drivetrain w/Gripshift

Submitted by Frank burrito from San Jose, CA, USA!

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2000

Strengths:    beautiful construction, incredible value (only $20)..looks pretty trick

Weaknesses:    what's cool looking to some is butt-@ss ugly to others

Bottom Line:
when i first pulled this sucker out of the box i thought to my self, "this is the ugliest d@mn thing i've ever seen. After the initial shock, tho, I really do like it now. It's unique looking and cool in an industrial, functional sorta way. It's also very well made, nice shot peening, cool laser etching. I am kinda skeptical about this one bolt clamp--it looks tough enough, but I'm afraid it's not enough. Only time will tell-so far it's flawless. This stem is not for everyone (gives your bike's face a warthog look to it), but the value is very good. I recommend it.

Similar Products Used:   titec, ritchey, Kalloy Uno

Bike Setup:   Trek 6k with a whole buncha $hit

Submitted by steve a Weekend Warrior from arlington, virginia, usa

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2000

Strengths:    Cool looks/shape, seems strong and stiff, decent welds, easy bar attachment, relatively cheap, very light.

Weaknesses:    Made in Taiwan. Color is XTR grey.

Bottom Line:
This review is for the ICON Durante MTB stem.

Upside: Nice looking design, seems strong and stiff, very light, handlebar attaches easily thanks to one-bolt hinged
opening, ICON graphic is pretty cool. OEM on some Treks and Kleins (purportedly). Got mine from Supergo for $20 plus S&H.

Downside: Made in Taiwan (damn!), XTR color matches nothing else on my bike except the small surface area on the rear derailleur.

Favorite Trail:   Hollywood (Lodi) Farms