Home | Reviews | Stem | Ibis

Ibis Titanium stem Stem

4.75/5 (8 Reviews)

IBIS Titanium stem

Submitted by gord olliver a Racer from calgary,alberta,canada

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2007

Strengths:    Light Strong A work of art.

Weaknesses:    Price? ten years of service and still going strong. 30 Bucks a year not too bad!

Bottom Line:
I have used this stem on both my Ibis ti bikes since 98 and the only problem is the decals have been scratched! I thrash the trails and downhill double blak diamond trails with no problems These rock! If you ever find one, nab it!

Favorite Trail:   jewel/baldy pass figure 8

Purchased At:   Bow Cycle, Calgary

Similar Products Used:   Nothing compares!

Bike Setup:   Ibis Bow ti. Ibis Ti mojo. xtr, 2002 sid carbon race, king hubs w/517 ceramics

Submitted by Bob a Weekend Warrior from San Diego, CA

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2002

Strengths:    looks cool, high envy factor

Weaknesses:    price per benefit is ridiculously out of proportion

Bottom Line:
Get real. $275 to $300 for a stem? I had one on my bike for awhile and thought it easily twisted laterally and was difficult to tighten because of the stupid titanium bolt. The rule of thumb for saving weight is a dollar per gram of weight saved. This thing will save you 40 to 50 grams over a perfectly competent aluminum stem. That means it should have a premium of $40 to $50 bucks. I can appreciate Ibis' efforts to push the envelope of artistry, but they are also pushing the envelope of common sense with the price tag. I can think of soooo many other bike goodies to spend that kind of cash on. If you buy one, better hope you never ever find that it's a little too long or a little short for your frame.

Similar Products Used:   control tech, salsa

Bike Setup:   doesn't matter

Submitted by Justin from MA

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2001

Strengths:    stiff, light, piece of art

Bottom Line:
this is the best stem period. Not only is it light as hell, it's stiff and strong and will last forever. Everything you could want in a stem.

Bike Setup:   ibis bow-ti with mavic crossmax tubeless disc and xtr

Submitted by T.R. a Cross Country Rider from Germany

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2000

Strengths:    The Ibis Ti-stem is a masterpiece of a quality stem: Quality welds, beautiful finish, all in all an excellent workmanship. Moverover it's absolutely lightweight (147gr by 135mm, 0°, 1 1/8)and offers a supreme riding performance. It's as stiff as an aluminium stem, steering precision is good.
Nice and friendly customer service from the company. They send the stem to Germany.

Weaknesses:    None! I guess the only weakness could be the price, but in my opinion you get what you pay for, possible the best lightweight stem in the world.

Bottom Line:
The Ibis Titanium stem is a piece of art, which performs on the trail. If you are searching for a lightweight cross-country stem, get the Ibis, you will love it.

Similar Products Used:   Moots Ti - stem. Look at my review. It's not as stiff as the Ibis and my Moots - stem creaks.

Bike Setup:   Merlin Mountain

Submitted by Matthew a Cross-Country Rider from Eugene, OR

Date Reviewed: October 6, 1999

Strengths:
Made from 6-4 Ti
Beautiful welds (of course)

Weaknesses:
Small shaving of Ti loose inside the main tube of the stem

Bottom Line:
For the last couple of years I've been getting a numbness in my right hand after riding for about twenty minutes or more. I got a nice plush shock in hopes that would get rid of the numbness. When that didn't work I got Titanium bars. When that didn't work I got LP composite barends. When that didn't work I got Serfas grips. Nothing seemed to work. When I got rid of my Syncros stem and replaced it with the beautiful 6-4 Ti Ibis stem I finally got rid of the numbness. The raw Ti stem also looks nice with my Titanium Moots frame and bars. This stem is the perfect stifness for me. The reason I didn't get the Moots Ti stem is because I was worried it would be too soft (It is made of 3-2.5 Ti). With the Ibis stem I still get precise steering along with the comfort of a slightly softer stem. The stem is beautifully made, but I can hear a loose shaving of titanium in the main tube of the stem. This doesn't affect performance, but I would expect better from a $275 stem. But since this is the component that finally got rid of my nunmbness I still have to give it 5 chilis.

less than 1 month

Syncros, Control Tech

Moots YBB, Marzocchi Atom Bomb, Chris King headset and hubs, Avid brakes and levers, XTR drivetrain, Moots post and bars.

Submitted by Mike Edge a Cross-Country Rider from Palm Beach, Florida

Date Reviewed: May 20, 1999

Strengths:
intercepts a lot of jarring to the wrists

Weaknesses:
Price

Bottom Line:
A lot of money and probably low priority for even an avid cross country bike fiend. If you feel like spending nearly US$300.00 on a four inch piece of titanium piping, there IS a benefit but it won't blow your socks off!!

Lane of Pain, Loxahatchee

6 months

Koore Lite
Usual generic crap

SID XC shox, WTB titanium handlebars, Litespeed Owl Hollow titanium frame, Dean titanium post, Selle Italia Turbo-Trimatic saddle, XTR groupo

Submitted by Rockababy a Racer from Colma, CA

Date Reviewed: April 23, 1999

Strengths:
Ibis designs are ride tuned for supreme fun.
Classiest manmade stem.
Buy this stem or a bike for your mom.

Weaknesses:
Tell your girlfriend you lost your wallet.

Bottom Line:
This stem is Ti, but designed stiff for accuracy- with suspension forks- stiff stems are gooood. Control tech is the standard- This ibis stem is much stiffer and is machined like no other. The Moots is lighter, but I can twang it. This stem is better designed than your whole freakin' bike.

428, baby

1 Year

Control tech, Moots, Salsa

Custom Ti.

Submitted by Steve A. a Cross-Country Rider from Bay Area, CA

Date Reviewed: April 10, 1999

Strengths:
Call it eye candy, call it what you want...this stem is incredible!! Now, Im the first to admit that ti-stems can be flexy (Litespeed owners know what I mean), but this baby is plenty stiff! And the weight,or lack thereof, is unfair!!!This baby is about 40 to 50 grams lighter than some of the most trick aluminum numbers out there! And don't even call into question its durability...this one is built to last..Ibis has been at it way too long, and they have their ti-stems dialed in.

Weaknesses:
Weaknesses???? Come on!!! This puppy is top dog....not a weakness to think of. Ok...maybe the price, but when compared to other high end ti-stems on the market, its right in there.

Bottom Line:
What are you waiting for?!?!??!?!?? Go out and buy yourself one now!!!!

17 Knolls in Marin

1 Year

Syncros, Race Face, Control Tech, Bontrager, Klein.

Ibis Bow Ti

Titanium stem comparisons: old vs new

I have two bikes set up with titanium stems/handlebars. My old (650b converted) Kona Explosif has a Moots quill stem with a titec riser bar. The other bike is a Redline D440 29er with a more modern threadless (Moots) stem and a Supergo riser bar. It seems like the quill stem has a much more compl ... Read More »

Titanium stem ID

Got this stem off the BAY and was told it was a Merlin... Just wanna run it by yous guys and get an educated answer. Just wanna be sure!! Very well made..Read More »

Toronto Cycles Titanium bar & stem

Anybody have any experience with these parts or others from these guys? I was looking for a Ti bar and these are less than half the price of Moots or Seven cycles. These are Chinese imports no doubt, but as long as they are using the correct alloys they should be good, right?Read More »

Titanium Stem Bolts?

I want to replace the stem bolts in my Truvativ Stylo Team Stem. Where can I get some Ti bolts and what sizes do I need? Thanks for the help!Read More »

Custom Titanium Quill Stem

I don't know if this is the proper forum, but I'm looking to have a custom titanium quill stem made. Does anybody even do these anymore?Read More »