Home | Reviews | Stem | Easton

Easton Havoc Stem

4.29/5 (7 Reviews)
Weight : 225 grams MSRP : $89.98

Havoc Stem For ridersThat go biggerThan All Mountain,The Havoc stem (like allHavoc wheels and components) isThe absolute best option for boostingbumps, clearing gaps and rolling stunts. 100% CNC machined from a chunkof solid aluminum,The Havoc features Distributed Stress andTop LockTechnologies which optimize bar/stem interface. CNC machined aluminum Anodized finish 0 deg rise 31.8mm bar clamp Approximate weight 148 grams

Submitted by MrMatson a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2012

Strengths:    Looks
Precision
Strength
Bar Clamp

Weaknesses:    Heavy

Bottom Line:
I needed a very short stem to reduce the reach to the bars on my 2010 Specialized Pitch Pro. The Easton Havoc 35mm Stem replaced the stock 90mm Specialized stem. I really like the Havoc stem, with its aggressive angular look, all machined out of a single piece of aluminum. It is extremely stiff (duh, it's only 35mm long, but still) and gives great responsive precise steering inputs. the bar clamp is designed so the top is tightened all the way and then the lower 2 bolts are used to capture the bar, this makes installation and adjustments really easy. I've only ridden with this stem for about 6 months but in that time it has held up admirably and looks to be very strong and durable, that being said I have read that due to some of the stress concentrations left after machining these stems can develop fatigue cracks with hard riding. This is likely more of an issue with the longer stems as they will see higher loading at these problem locations. The only drawback I can think of for this stem could be the weight. given the super short length of mine this is not really an issue but as the length increases the design will be somewhat heavier than the alternatives. Overall the Easton Havoc is a great stem that has served me very well.

Favorite Trail:   Independence Park

SRAM X7/X9 2x9 drivetrain
Rockshox Reverb

Submitted by mcgong a Weekend Warrior from OC, California

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2010

Strengths:    Stiffness, Rise, Weight

Weaknesses:    Finish (would prefer something like the Thompson or Truvati)

Bottom Line:
Great deal for the money. Really stiff. I wanted a DH stem with a little rise and 10 degrees is perfect for me. Got a super deal at JensonUSA. No flex felt when taking drops and hitting the rock gardens.

Purchased At:   JensonUSA

Similar Products Used:   Truvati Holzfeller

Bike Setup:   2010 Enduro Comp, Mission Control DH Upgrade, Tubeless, Answer Pro Taper AM, Command Post

Submitted by Tkul a Weekend Warrior from Lisbon

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2009

Strengths:    Lightness

Weaknesses:    none until now

Bottom Line:
I wanted something light and strong, and see this with a good price - after founding one, I didn`t think a lot!
Great buy, and reduced by almost 100grm the front of my bike (yes I know... that`s not a lot! But it`s ok!)

Favorite Trail:   Manso Tombado

Purchased At:   fizzbikes

Similar Products Used:   BBB, Raceface, Sintesi, Azonic, DEAN, etc...

Bike Setup:   Intese 6.6 with AM built

Submitted by jSatch a Weekend Warrior from SandyEggo, SoCal

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2009

Strengths:    Strong and Beefy
10° rise

Weaknesses:    Doesn't make pancakes

Bottom Line:
I don't ride DH, but this stem is pretty light for a DH and is in or near the weight range of other AM stems- but stronger.

I was looking for a 60 - 65 mm stem with some rise (due to short steerer tube). I bought this for the nice 10° rise, which isn't too much for a 65 mm stem, just a nice 11.5 mm (0.45") total.

It's very well made, as you'd expect from Easton, looks good, and is stiff as all get out. I don't know why the 1st poster had an issue, it sure doesn't flex or creak with me (165 lbs). Maybe it was his spacers or headset if the stem wasn't tensioned properly. Dunno. The thing is solid.

Works well. When I turn the bars, the front wheel turns, every time. Perfect.

Favorite Trail:   Tunnels

Similar Products Used:   several but not Thomson- no rise at this size

Bike Setup:   SC Heckler

Submitted by Andre C a Weekend Warrior from Edmonton Alberta Canada

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2009

Strengths:    Awesome stem light, strong, and stiff

Bottom Line:
That other guy is trippin it does not flex. This stem is light and stiff, I've never felt it flex ever, and I ride hard up and down. Pair it up with an easton bar and it's rock solid, I've used it for two years and it's never had a problem.

Similar Products Used:   tried many stems

Bike Setup:   nomad

Submitted by Dude from Canada

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2006

Strengths:    Short, burly design, strong

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
So far I'm very happy with this stem. Its super stiff and strong. Great for DH/FR..

Favorite Trail:   all

Similar Products Used:   Funn stems

Bike Setup:   Havoc stem and other good stuff

Submitted by Grant a Weekend Warrior from London

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2006

Strengths:    Looks great, opposing bolts clamp well, light weight

Weaknesses:    more flex than expected

Bottom Line:
This stem looks good, bolts up well and never feels like it is going to come loose. Unfortunately, in the 65mm X 10 degree version at least, it twists when you are cranking on the bars. In fact it flexes before the forks do (I expect bar flex but this is the first time I have noticed it in a stem).
This may not actually affect the riding feel much but if I can flex the stem noticeably while cranking on the bars then I imagine it will be worse when riding hard. It definately felt different than the Eveolve stem I was using (which doesn't twist) and I noticed that difference so this stem is coming off the bike soon.
Shorter sizes may be better, but if you are a big guy or you really work the bars when riding then I wouldn't buy this product.

Purchased At:   chainreactioncycles.com