Home | Reviews | Stem | Contol

3.48/5 (88 Reviews)

Contol Stix Stem

Submitted by Karl a Cross Country Rider from minneapolis

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2005

Strengths:    Shiny, light, indestructible

Weaknesses:    um, 2 bolt clamp stems need to be watched

Bottom Line:
I don't know how others are have trouble, but this sucker has been infallible for me. Its a two bolt, which means if you're an ogre, you can damage bars. But keep your wits about you and this thing will make you happy. Oh, it also seems pretty stiff for a long (120mm) stem.

Purchased At:   penn cycle

Similar Products Used:   bontrage junk, specialized somethin or another

Submitted by Jo Blo a Cross Country Rider from Vancouver

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2004

Strengths:    -Light
-Clean looks

Weaknesses:    -Chews holes in carbon bars
-Handlebar clamp is JUNK and DESTROYS CARBON HANDLEBARS
-Threads strip very easily
-Flexy

Bottom Line:
This stem was a stop-gap just to get my bike on the road while waiting to get something real like a Thomson or Deus. What a mistake that was...This piece of junk is the antithesis of what a stem should be: the handlebar clamp simply does not work and will not hold a riser bar tightly wihtout self-destructing and eating the threads; the entire stem flexes wildly when riding; and WORST OF ALL, THIS THING RUINS CARBON HANDLEBARS.

Seriously, to anyone considering this stem for use with ANY carbon handlebars, AVOID IT LIKE THE PLAGUE! It took chunks out of the clamping area of my Easton MonkeyLite, and this is AFTER I TOOK THE TIME TO FILE & SAND ANY AND ALL SHARP EDGES AND BURRS BEFORE INSTALLATION. The points around the clamping area seem to dig into the bar during use, slowly taking chunks out of the bar. Luckily I noticed what was happening after only 5 days of use, but enough damage was done to make me wonder if the bar is still safe to ride.

Compared to the SyStem: the Race Face is probably 200% stiffer (40g heavier); the quality of finish of the RF is head and shoulders above the CT in terms of machining and tolerances. The only drawback to the RF was it creaked when dirty.

Compared to the old (pre buy-out) Syncros: the Syncros had to be the stiffest stem on the planet and was beautifuly constructed -no comparison at all, really.

Compared to the Specialized Ti: the Specialized was also a flexy unit, but level of finish was still far better than the Control Tech. At least the clamp worked.

Bottom Line: this stem is absolute junk, and if you care at all about performance, strength, and longevity, get something else.... ANYthing else. I wouldn't ride another one if I were paid to.

Similar Products Used:   Race Face SyStem, Syncros (1996), Specialized S-works Ti

Bike Setup:   2004 Blizzard with my dream spec -except this crappy stem

Submitted by Karl from SD

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2004

Strengths:    Stiff, reliable, light

Weaknesses:    um, a little expensive

Bottom Line:
I love this stem, the only thing on my bike that doesn't wear out. I haven't had any of these problems with stripping bolts. Tad expensive, though

Similar Products Used:   bontrager, kore

Bike Setup:   GF paragon

Submitted by ed t a Cross Country Rider from Tallahassee

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2003

Strengths:    Got it cheap.

Weaknesses:    Stripped the face plates threading when installing the h-bar.

Bottom Line:
I bought the sucker despite reading the warnings on MTBReview about the threadings stripping. Bought it because it was cheap & the seller claimed it was the new version with the threading inserts that "eliminated the stripping problem." The threading stripped when I installed it. I barely even tightened it all.

Well guess I was wrong. Replaced it with a Salsa stem - and no problems at all. Would have gotten the Thomson if they made Thomsons with the rise I needed.

Favorite Trail:   Cadillac Trail

Similar Products Used:   Thomson, Ritchey, multiple noname stems

Bike Setup:   Haro Werks 3.0, marathons, sid xc, thomson post, xt/xtr/sram
component mix

Submitted by CK a Cross Country Rider from Southwest, VA

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2003

Strengths:    Affordable, efficient, stylish

Weaknesses:    Paint chips after several years
Not quite as solid of a feel as the high-end stems

Bottom Line:
It's a good stem for the money. I've noticed very little flex in my 7 yr old stem - 130mm, 0deg. It's been through many downhill runs, handlebar-treetrunk slaps, endos, other bails, and parts changes. Of course, this is the older model so I can't comment on the new design. The bolts and stem bolt holes have never stripped. The paint is beginning to chip off in areas, though. So I might replace it with a new Kore Elite I got for $10.

Favorite Trail:   any that twist

Similar Products Used:   Easton, Bonty, Icon, Thomson, Kore

Bike Setup:   Spec S-works, used to have the latest and greatest but have scaled back to being somewhat sane with the wallet

Submitted by Chad Winslow a Cross Country Rider from Sumner, Wa

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2002

Strengths:    it looks good, it is strong enough to support my 200+ fat ass, and it is light

Bottom Line:
i actually got to visit the factory when i was doing a job shadow years ago. the people that work there are increadibly nice, and they make an awesome product. I've had my stem for four years, and i haven't had a problem with stripping threads (like i did my specialized) and i haven't had a problem with the paint chipping, or noises... or anything. The reason i replaced my Kore was because it was too long for me and i needed a shorter stem. Control tech also makes a skewer that only weighs 48 grams, so i'm going to check it out. overall, awesome product.

Favorite Trail:   cut your bars

Purchased At:   don't remember

Similar Products Used:   kore, specialized

Bike Setup:   '98 S-works hard tail. all xtr. '98 sid. chris king/517

Submitted by weather expert a Weekend Warrior from iowa

Date Reviewed: October 5, 2002

Strengths:    er...cheap?

Weaknesses:    badly aligned--the stem and the bar aren't perpendicular to each other!

Bottom Line:
this stem came and it looked somehow different. i put it on anyway but soon discovered that the bar and the stem are not at right angle. talking about quality control eh?

Similar Products Used:   salsa, icon, syncros

Bike Setup:   doesn't matter

Submitted by Chris a Cross Country Rider from Boston

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2001

Strengths:    Durable, reliable

Weaknesses:    No complaints

Bottom Line:
I have been using this stem for over 6 years and I still think that it is the best value out there. It has out-lasted 3 bars and still clamps reliably. Building a new bike and will pick up another one of these to hold my bars on.

Purchased At:   Don't remember

Bike Setup:   Sure is!

Submitted by Tony Ratcliffe a Cross Country Rider from Aylesbury

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2001

Strengths:    Clean well made looks.

Weaknesses:    Front threads.

Bottom Line:
Liked the seatpost with its inner rib and clamp system, thought i'd match it with the stem.
Initially fine but after a couple of handlebar changes over the years the frontplate threads did strip! There are inserts in the steerer clamp so why not add helicoils to the front threads. I have now had a friend do this to both of my Control-tech stems and i'm now back out there. Hindsight!

Favorite Trail:   Any long singletrack

Purchased At:   Chain reaction IRL

Similar Products Used:   Kore,Kalloy,Club roost.

Bike Setup:   Kona Cone,Judy XC 96 80mm & Rocklobster AL with Judy SL's 97 and WB 80mm cart.

Submitted by Chris Baker a Racer from Charlotte, NC, USA

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2001

Strengths:    Strong, rigid, long lasting

Weaknesses:    logo wears off after 10 yrs

Bottom Line:
I've owned my Yo Eddy for 10 yrs and it has been raced hard during that time. There are several components that have remained on the bike for the duration of 10 hard years without failure and still performing at a high level. This stem (130mm, 5degree rise) has been one of them along with an Easton Taperlite bar. I just bought another Control Tech stem (97 model brand new) for a new Factory limited frame I'm building. GOOD STUFF, don't know what happened to the guy that flamed this stem???

Favorite Trail:   Tsali

Purchased At:   Bicycles Etc (defunct)

Bike Setup:   All XTR, 1991 Fat City Yo Eddy

Submitted by Steel is real a Cross Country Rider from Washington

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2001

Strengths:    Ultra Lightweight, super strong, high quality stem that is made 100% in the USA. Elegantly welded stem. Stainless steel threads all around.

Bottom Line:
This is a review of the NEW Smart Stem. It is a great stem as long as you know what you're buying. It is for cross country riding, not for DH, slalom, utter clumsiness or for people who dont know how to follow directions. They give them to you, use them! Grease your bolts and don't over tighten the bolts. The specs are right in the box. The anodized finish for the black stem is gorgeous.

Support your country-Buy American.

Purchased At:   www.controltechbikes.com

Similar Products Used:   OEM forged stems, Titec Ti stem, older CT stems.

Bike Setup:   853 steel frame, wheels, fork, etc

Submitted by RM a Cross Country Rider from Co

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2001

Strengths:    Weight/strenth ratio

Bottom Line:
This is a classic stem, or "Old school" in these times. I am surprised to see some of the negative reviews. I have not, nor have anyone I know using this stem has had any problems with it.

Similar Products Used:   Kore, Profile, Race Face

Submitted by Jan a Cross Country Rider from Sausalito, CA

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2001

Strengths:    Looks OK

Weaknesses:    Very, very, poor functional design and quality assurance testing by Control Tech(CT). The Stem broke after 3 months of moderate riding.

Bottom Line:
YOU SHOULD READ THIS WHOLE REVIEW

This is a horrible example of a 2 piecce clamp stem. Read and believe the other negative reviews. It happened to me after only 3 months of moderate riding. I now have a steel stem with a traditional clamp.

The threads stripped and the h-bars detached while going down a short and slow steep section. I was lucky to get away with mild abrasions and a short run down the mountain.

I contact CT and they told they had never heard of this happening before. They should read this section of MTBR. Is it coincidence that CT has redesigned the stem and now puts steel helicail inserts in it.

FYI, I did some investigation and found CT was informed of this problem by an independent testing facility long before they introduced the stem and did nothing about it. Why do after-market MTB parts mfrs. feel they have to hide the truth about the deficiencies of their products. Syncros, Answer and White Industries are guilty of this also in my experience.

CHANGE YOUR STEM IF YOU ARE USING THIS VERSION

Similar Products Used:   Titec, Salsa

Bike Setup:   Stel hardtail w/Marzocchi Atom 80 and XTR/King components

Submitted by Czieje a Cross Country Rider from Long Island City, NY

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2000

Strengths:    Seemed solid until I switched bars [see below]

Weaknesses:    For a $50 stem, the Control Tech has a major weakness: aluminum threads. Now, I know that when you work with aluminum parts [especially your frame], you need to control the torq... but wouldn't it be smarter for this stem [and any stem build for real use] to have a steel-threaded insert instead of rapidly-strip-able, non-replaceable aluminum thread set. As you may have guessed, my Control Tech is toast due to stripping. Sucks, because my bike is waiting to be ridden with brand new Easton handlebars.

Bottom Line:
If you own this stem, buy a torq wrench and set it low -- real low. Avoid this product otherwise

Favorite Trail:   Stillwell Park Loop

Submitted by Anton a Cross Country Rider from Seattle, WA

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2000

Strengths:    color

Weaknesses:    everything else

Bottom Line:
what a pile of crap ! On my last ride I noticed my bars were a little loose. Today I was all set to ride, went to tighten up the clamp on my bars, fricken threads were stripped. What a pisser. I HATE control tech, they are my enemy now! I guess I didn't get such a good deal now that I have to buy another stem.

Purchased At:   mail order