Home | Reviews | Stem | Azonic

Azonic Shorty Stem

4.61/5 (44 Reviews)

Available in Black and Polished. Also available in 28.6 mm bar mounting portion for oversize bars such as our CHUBBY bar. In sizes 50mm, 75mm and 100mm.

Submitted by adam tarling a Weekend Warrior from belmont,CA

Date Reviewed: November 30, 2005

Strengths:    very strong also kind of light good 4 bolt

Weaknesses:    a little too expensive

Bottom Line:
buy it right now

Favorite Trail:   panis

Purchased At:   woodside bike shop

Similar Products Used:   dont know

Bike Setup:   santa cruz nomad

Submitted by Andy a Weekend Warrior from Fort Collins

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2005

Strengths:    Looks cool I guess

Weaknesses:    Stripped the stem out at the steerer clamp. Not the bolt - the stem.

Bottom Line:
This thing sucks. Save your money and get a cheapo stem. I stripped the thing with a multi-tool. (you can't put sh*t for torque on with those things) That's rediculous! No I did not over-torque - I'm pretty careful about that. You can go to supergo and get a stem that looks about the same for 8 bucks. I haven't broken the 8 dollar stem yet in 6 months....

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   Supergo cheapo...

Bike Setup:   Brodie thumper, lot's o' freeride stuff....

Submitted by John from Fort Collins, CO

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2005

Strengths:    price, strength, looks.

Weaknesses:    hard to clean, but who cares?

Bottom Line:
The Shorty has been a great stem for me. I've never needed to adjust or tighten it. I've taken it on and off a few times for headset maintenance and it has always slid right off, so no problems with ovalizing or warping. I'm not a huge hucker myself but I have put a good beating on this with smaller drops, and it has been very solid.

Note to Dan the Man, previous reviewer. Pricepoint has sold the Shorty for $50 for well over two years. Plus Jenson now sells the Aggro for $30, so maybe you should have held out longer. But no worries, I'm sure a "downhiller" in Cincinatti with a DJ2 knows a bargain when he sees one.

Purchased At:   PricePoint

Bike Setup:   03 KHS FR2000, Z1, Romic, replaced stock stem with this.

Submitted by Dan the man a Downhiller from Cincinnati Ohio

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2004

Strengths:    I have an Azonic Aggro. Not a shorty. My stem is just a cool and just as good as a shorty just it wasn't $120. That's so stupid! Stiff, 6 bolt handlebar clamp, somewhat light, pretty black

Weaknesses:    Nothin so far..

Bottom Line:
This stem is sweet. Looks cool, is cool. I hope you all take advantage of this great deal at Jensonusa.com. It's only 5 bucks off retail but its a deal. Great stem. Go buy one if your homo shorty broke on you.

Purchased At:   jensnousa.com

Similar Products Used:   Haha.. all you stupid people paid $120 for a gay stem. I got one just as good as yours, if not better, for 51.50 shipped to my house and a free sticker.

Bike Setup:   '01 Diamondback Team Issue '03 Marzocchi Dirt Jumper 2

Submitted by Rustapharian Monkeybutler a Downhiller from Jamaica

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2003

Strengths:    Strong, fairly light and nice feeling while it lasts

Weaknesses:    They tend to break

Bottom Line:
I rode this stem for ages and it felt fine but then as soon as I started trying even slight drops lately, I managed to break the stem in half, but just held together by enought of a "thread" across the top of the stem to get me home. It is very strange as the crack goes from the bottom up, where it should go from the top down, and even with the tiny thread of aluminium left, i cannot even bend it! This is also strange seeing as i put hardly any strain on the bars AFTER a 3 1/2 foot dropoff and it just bent under my arm weight.
I shown the bike shop and all they said was "Yeh... Azonic stuf breaks". I cannot understand this seeing as they have such good reviews!
My new tioga cube is a lot heavier and cheaper, but also much stronger!

Favorite Trail:   Your Mum

Purchased At:   Shop

Similar Products Used:   Tioga Cube

Bike Setup:   Giant ATX Oldskool DH build

Submitted by Doug Brummett a Weekend Warrior from Santa Cruz, CA

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2002

Strengths:    Clean CNC work (unlike all of the immitations that came out after), knee clearance with bolts, 4 bolt bar clamp

Bottom Line:
This is a good, solid, stem. Not a single complaint after 2 years with this thing. Okay, maybe the weight thing. But I would rather tote along the extra couple hundred grams than pick gravel out of my chin.

I have ridden this stem in everything from cross country to dirt jumps. Never a creek or moan from it. This is one of those install it and forget about it items. We should all have a lot more of them on our bikes.

Favorite Trail:   Anything in Santa Cruz

Similar Products Used:   couple of cheep jobbers, and welded stems, got a shorty when my ORC stem got stress markings after only a couple of weeks.

Bike Setup:   Originally ran the stem on my dual slalom rig, but have had it on my freeride/enduro bikes for the last 1.5 years

Submitted by mark mierop a Cross Country Rider from wayne, Nj, 07470

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2002

Strengths:    I have been riding for years, but have gotten totally back into it last year, and switched from a hardtail to a a Klein Mantra. It was a big change to a softtail and after riding a bit felt a bit stretched out, and alot of flex in the old easton stem. I switched, and found the steering control, and geometry ( with a double wall riser bar, also azonic) greatly improved. this stem is indestructible, well engineered, BUT a pain in the butt to clean out the nooks and grooves. I would buy another if i needed it, and would recomend it to anyone who feels they need a bombproff stem.

Weaknesses:    ability to clean

Bottom Line:
Buy it, use, it, and learn how bombproof, all the azonic products are.........

Favorite Trail:   Plattekill, NY, whole mountain

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   azonic Hot seat, and double wall riser bar, well integrated with the riser bar, very adjustable, and stron

Bike Setup:   Klein frame, azonic handlebar, stem, seat, bontrager seat post, avid 7.0 brakes, shimano xtr front derailer, a head set, onyx cranks, shimano xt rear derailer, kona platform pedals, bontrager superstock wheels, and veloceraptor tires, 2.3 front, 2.1 rear, love it good cross country bike, excellent downhill set up, and a blast in the wet and muck

Submitted by Hugo from Portugal

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2002

Strengths:    everything on this rocks , strenght , looks , weight ,

Weaknesses:    what is a weakness on this ? the price (if u cant do time ....)

Bottom Line:
its has been used and abuuuused over and over and always comes back begging for more. If you fancy drops , jumps , stairs , this will take all that u can trow at it

Favorite Trail:   urban terror

Purchased At:   angel pilot

Similar Products Used:   nothing even comes close

Submitted by Carl Friedrich a Weekend Warrior from Minneapolis

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2002

Strengths:    Stiff and super strong. Looks awesome. Nice wide handlebar seat for awesome rigidity and support. Locks solid onto steerer tube.

Weaknesses:    It doen't understand this term: Weakness

Bottom Line:
This stem is awesome, I got a great deal on eBay, but retail is certainly reasonable. If your stem has a narrow clamp on it and the handlebars flex due to that, then this is your solution, or if you just want a stiff-as-hell stem for any type of riding (freeriders, that's you), it will would perfect. It completed my bike very nicely.

Favorite Trail:   Urban

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Kalloy, Specialized, Kore, Race Face, Koski, a lot of descent stems... This one rules

Bike Setup:   2001 Specialized Enduro, Psylo, Hayes Disc, Big Fat Mammoth Rims on XT disc, Kujo DH tires, Azonic Loveseat (oh yeah!!), Azonic Platforms, and lot's of other good stuff, A stiff urban assault bike

Submitted by Kurt a Weekend Warrior from Northern IL

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2002

Strengths:    large bar clamping surface . suprise ! it weighs less then the oe stem , but is 10x beefier . no big knobs / clamping hardware exposed to rip you up when going over the handlebars .

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
best heavy duty stem for $60 . the large/wide handlebar clamp makes me less concerned about breaking the carbonfiber handlebars at the stem like ive seen others do . freeride and downhillers should like this one .

Purchased At:   online

Bike Setup:   giant warp : easton carbon 1.5in riser bar

Submitted by Tino a Weekend Warrior from NH

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2002

Strengths:    extremely stiff, no flex, no creaking, very very strong, lighter than i expected, great polished finish

Weaknesses:    nothing

Bottom Line:
one of the best, stiffest, strongest stems out there.

Favorite Trail:   the bloody finger

Purchased At:   ebay.com

Bike Setup:   2001 Pipeline - 5 in z3 fork, 24" rear atom labs trail pimp, 26" sun mammoth up front, hayes discs, xt, race face dh cranks, azonic 75mm shorty stem, flat pedals

Submitted by James a Weekend Warrior from Somerville, MA

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2002

Strengths:    short, well machined, stronger than hell

Weaknesses:    None that I can think of. Hard to grip when you're pulling the bike up the stairs by the stem, I guess.

Bottom Line:
I have one on the Trek. I'm getting a new fork for the Nashbar and decided I'd get a different stem since the bolts on the Kore are shot. The Kore has held up well, I guess, I'm just looking for something shorter and beefier since I'm starting to get used to stairs around where I am now. (The stairs are responsible for my needing a new fork now. my 260 weight has killed my cheapo RS fork)

The bike goes where you think about going, the stem is stiffer than hell, and the shortness gets me that much farther back off of the saddle. Well worth the $60 I paid... which, incidentally, is almost what I paid for the steel frame. But it's steel, and it's nashbar, so go figure.

Similar Products Used:   OEM Bontrager. (creaked like grandma's rocking chair on climbs) and Kore lite 3 (I think) which has been apretty solid stem so far, but the bolt heads are stripped out (I figured the aluminum would go before the bolt heads... I figured wrong)

Bike Setup:   Trek 6700 set up as freeride, and a Nashbar steel frame that's freeride/commuter.

Submitted by Matt a Downhiller from Spokane WA

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2002

Strengths:    Its short, its square, it likes pain.

Weaknesses:    Hard to get down over your steer tube, but its not a problem.

Bottom Line:
Its a block of aircraft aluminum, its not going to break!
Not heavy and its very stiff. I like

Favorite Trail:   Beacon rocks!

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   Kona factory stem

Bike Setup:   01' Kona Stinky. z-1 qr20, hayes hydros, thomson post, raceface cranks, bash guard, FSA pig dh....and on and on

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider from California

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2001

Strengths:    Strongest stem out there -BEEFY -No flex -Cool looking CNC -Four bolt face plate

Weaknesses:    None!

Bottom Line:
This stem is the strongest one out there and will out last any other components on your bike, bolt it up and foget about it. I've tried out many stems and this is the one! I have an extra one off a different bike I just sold if anyone wants it. It's still in perfect condition and about three months old. It's 75mm - 10 rise and silver. I want $50.00 for it and I'll cover shipping anywhere in the USA.

E-mail or Call: