Home | Reviews | Stem | Azonic

Azonic O.R.C Stem

3.42/5 (26 Reviews)

Body constructed of Cold Forged 6061 T-6 Aluminum. Tig Welded for extra strength with a two bolt removable face plate for easy handlebar installation and secure mounting.

The diamond shaped body provides extra stability under all riding conditions. Finished with full laser etched graphics.

The O.R.C. Stem has greater features and strength than most stems offer at twice the price.

1 1/8" diameter - threadless Available in Black or Polished Available in: 120mm x 5 deg. ,135mm x 5 deg. , 105mm x 5 deg., 90mm x 5 deg. and 70mm x 20 deg.

Submitted by David Parkes a Weekend Warrior from Santiago, Chile

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2004

Strengths:    Matches my Azonic Handlebar

Weaknesses:    Bolts are too short. Stripped the threads on the inside of the stem.

Bottom Line:
Be careful when tightening the bolts above the headset or buy longer bolts otherwise you will strip the threads on the actual stem. The only quick fix to this problem is running a quick release skewer through the stem. this can be dangerous though.

I expect better from AZONIC. My $ 10 Amoeba stem is more reliable

Favorite Trail:   Santuario

Similar Products Used:   Amoeba

Bike Setup:   Everything except AZONIC stem

Submitted by Dave a Weekend Warrior from Wausau, WI, U.S.A.

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2003

Strengths:    Its stiff,light,looks pretty good and its cheap as hell.

Weaknesses:    the graphics are stikcers

Bottom Line:
Its great stem. I'v got the silver one and im really happy with it. my bike came w/ a heavy black stem w/ a 15 degree rise. i swapped it for this 4 dollar jewel and havent had a complaint yet. i ride a lot and crash a lot and it hasnt shown any signs of wear or tear.

Favorite Trail:   #1 at Nine Mile

Purchased At:   pricepoint.com

Similar Products Used:   stock specialized stem

Bike Setup:   2003 specialized hardrock comp w/ this stem, avid single digit ti breaks and nashbar clipless pedal

Submitted by Johnny Boczar a Cross Country Rider from Galati Gl Romania

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2003

Strengths:    Weight, price, look, strenght

Weaknesses:    Yes none none none it's Azonic

Bottom Line:
I like to say first that I'm a fan of Azonic and this stem is a good value for money and good quality too. I've used this stem on very agressive rides and I hve to say that I'm very impressed to see that there nothing wrong whit it. I like very much the inscription is very durable and it's not paint to wash upafter a few rideson muddy, rainy, wetty trails it's laser writing yes sir. So if you want a good stem grt it it's worth.

Purchased At:   Bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Kore, Tahoma

Bike Setup:   Custom

Submitted by Steely a Weekend Warrior from TN

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2003

Strengths:    Does the Job at a low cost

Weaknesses:    Creaks

Bottom Line:
I need a longer stem but wasn't sure about the lenght that i needed so i purchased this one $4 to see if it would meet my needs. It does its job but creaks like crazy. I have tightened as much as possible but it just wont quit. So if you are looking for a good stem at a very low cost and dont mind the creaking go for it. I will be trading it in for a Thomson when i can find one at a good price.

Favorite Trail:   Lock4

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   Answer, Titec

Bike Setup:   '01 Jamis Dakar Comp - XT comps and Avid mech breaks

Submitted by cachehiker a Cross Country Rider from Logan, UT

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2003

Strengths:    weight

Weaknesses:    strength

Bottom Line:
this stem came OEM on the bike when I bought it, and there seems to be as much flex and creak in the stem as there is flex and squeak in the rock shox jett XC fork. I'm primarily a road biker who will climb hard but takes it easy on the downhill side. I was suprised when the faceplate developed a crack after 1200-1500 miles. However, at $5 from price point, it deserves a break on the value side.

Favorite Trail:   a hiking trail

Similar Products Used:   still looking for a replacement

Bike Setup:   '99 GT Backwoods upgraded to LX after swapping out most of the Alivio stuff to repair/upgrade an old hybrid.

Submitted by Doug Brummett a Weekend Warrior from Santa Cruz

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2003

Strengths:    Nice looking, removeable faceplate

Weaknesses:    Flexy, not much for longevity

Bottom Line:
I ran one of these a couple of years back. After only a couple of weeks I was noticing it to be a bit flexy. Not a big deal until I noticed some stress markings by the stearer weld. I removed it immediately and fired it off for warranty.

On the possitive they did warranty it.

On the negative, I only rode it for a few weeks before having to send it back.

I wouldn't recommend.

Favorite Trail:   anything in Santa Cruz

Similar Products Used:   Shorty 100, Kore 3 bolt, Atom lab, titec

Bike Setup:   I ran this on my DS chameleon

Submitted by Branden Taylor a Weekend Warrior from McConnellsburg Pa

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2002

Strengths:    light, nice finish

Weaknesses:    none so far other than the crome ones smear easy if touched but they are mountain bikes they are meant to get dirty!!

Bottom Line:
Hey there is nuttin wrong with my stem. Try this thread loc it stops the strippin and the creeking. great for xc and mild downhill

Favorite Trail:   The 9 mile trail

Purchased At:   price pt.

Similar Products Used:   a lot i can't name them all

Bike Setup:   k2/proflex 857 nr-4 rearshock, Marzocchi z3 up front xt drivetrain rhino lites and so on and so on

Submitted by Big Al from Ogden, UT

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2002

Strengths:    Does the job.

Weaknesses:    The first stem had short stem bolts that were stripped. The second one bent in a wreck.

Bottom Line:
I'm buying a beefier stem...Azonic shorty or a Thomson elite. Probably the Thomson since my Lizard Skin nut protector will fit it better.

Pricepoint has the ORC stems for 5 bucks at the moment, but I'm not buying it.

Submitted by David a Cross Country Rider from Marquette

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2002

Strengths:    Strengh to weight(187gm) ratio.

Weaknesses:    Creaked on those uphills

Bottom Line:
After I tightened up the screws enough to stop the creaking it continued to bash on. I've taken thisbike down a lot of stuff so this stemhas taken a beating and keeps on ticking.

Favorite Trail:   Jedi

Purchased At:   Stock on'99 GT Backwoods

Bike Setup:   '99 GT Backwoods, XT ders, XT 4-arm crank, Avid 2.5 brakes, Avid 1.0L v-brake levers, Shimano shifters, '99 RS Jett xc (73mm) fork, Weinmann Zac 19 wheelset, WTB Velicorapter 2.1 F tire, Specialized Team Master contrl s-works 1.7 R tire

Submitted by Drew a Cross Country Rider from Albany NY

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2002

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Used this stem for less then 3 weeks took one good crash and the stem bent. Them Azonic woul;d not do a thing for me!

Bottom Line:
Stem Sucks!

Submitted by Mojombo a Weekend Warrior from La Verne, CA

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2002

Strengths:    Inexpensive, stickers annoy the cr@p out of me.

Weaknesses:    The top bolt housing on the face panel stuck out so much that when I turned my bike over for a simple chain lube it would not rest properly and the handlebars would wobble all over the d@mn place. I know that's not a huge fault, and is only a problem for flat bar people such as myself, but still, it was higher than the master cylinders for the Hope disc brakes! And those puppies were OUT there!

Bottom Line:
Since that bike was stolen, my new bike will be equipped with a Thomson stem. The last thing I want is for my stem to fail, and with Thomson I *know* that isn't going to happen. Plus, the Thomson is a 4 bolt face without any d@mn housings that stick way out. The azonic never failed me in service though and I put that guy through some pretty terrible endos! Four flaming poops overall because I *really* hated that stupid knobby bolt housing.

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by Tim from UK

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2001

Strengths:    Reasonable price and weight for the 70mm/20deg ORS version.

Weaknesses:    No problems so far.

Bottom Line:
I read a lot of comments about bolts stripping, but since this was the only stem that met my spec, I went a head anyway. When my stem arrived there were no installation instructions, so I contacted the UK distributor. They emailed me back with these comments: 'steerer tube bolts 90-100 in/lb (10.3-11.5Nm), handle bar clamp bolts 110-120 in/lb (12.6-13.8Nm). Remember to tighten the bolts up to torque alternatly 1/2 turn at a time so as to make sure the bolts are even. If one bolt is done up more than th other the threads could be liable to stripping.'

Similar Products Used:   Syncros hinged ahead, Icon, Art. Art really good value, Icon's too - I had 90mm 10deg on both bikes, but because of back problems I needed something more upright. A 70mm/20deg Syncros on my Marin FRS is perfect, but I didn't want to spend as much on the other bike, hence the Azonic ORS.

Bike Setup:   This has gone on my DBR Zetec hardtail.

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Brooklyn

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2001

Strengths:    Nice looking beefy stem, laser etched logo

Weaknesses:    The bolts stripped on me just like mentioned below

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is if you decide to buy this stem, buy the longer bolts right away! When I got the stem, I had the bike shop put it on for me and it stripped right away. They had to rethread and put in a long bolt. Do yourself a favor and buy longer bolts immediately. Otherwise I haven't had any problems with this stem and been using it for 3+ months. Giving it 3 chillis because of the bolt problem.

Favorite Trail:   Stillwell