Home | Reviews | Shifter | SRAM

SRAM X9 Shifter

4.01/5 (82 Reviews)

The X.9 trigger shifters from SRAM represents a new step in trigger shifting technology.

Submitted by Kratos a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: December 7, 2012

Strengths:    quick, precise, reliable, ergonomic, good quality materials, bling effect, lightweight, it's SRAM

Bottom Line:
This is so perfect, there is no any weakness, it's so precise, much better than any Shimano I've tried, it's so quick and responsive, everything best about SRAM!!!! :D

Similar Products Used:   Shimano

Submitted by caranx a All Mountain Rider from honolulu

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2012

Strengths:    works when it isn't broken

Weaknesses:    the handle bar mounts are made of wafer thin metal. The are at least as strong as a toothpick. Broke on a very mild crash at low speed.

Bottom Line:
These things have fatal design flaws and will be a massive pain in your butt, leaving you stranded in the wilderness with no shifting ability when they break after the tiniest crash. In comparison to handlebar mounts for any other product I'e seen, these are obviously silly.

Favorite Trail:   st louis

Purchased At:   on a complete bike

Similar Products Used:   shimano

Submitted by ekoy a Cross Country Rider from Iloilo City, Philippines

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2011

Strengths:    Price, Lightning fast 1:1 ratio accurate shifting, light weight, micro adjust for front derailleur best for my 2x9 set up..

Weaknesses:    slippery? the rubber grip if worn hard to find replacement anymore..

Bottom Line:
the best twist shifter available for unmatched price and performance (if youre an avid fan of twist shifter like me).. only 4 chilis for value rating cause no repalcement for worn rubber grip issues..

Favorite Trail:   Show me the trail!

Purchased At:   Bike Kingdom

Similar Products Used:   2:1 sram attack for shimamo derailleur

Bike Setup:   19 lbs weight killer hardtail KHS Alite 4K..

Submitted by freshandfly101 a Weekend Warrior from Los Angeles, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2011

Strengths:    (2010 3x9) GREAT derailleur, its a clone of x0, without all of the carbon bling, making it more durable, stronger, and in my opinion, sexier. I just went treerooting on these babies and they rock, the chain stays in place, the derailleur's not flying everywhere, with only one mis-shift. with the x9 shifters, they work like butter and always shift BEFORE you let go of the lever

Weaknesses:    had a mis-shift or two, loses the buttery-ness in gear 9, but thats normal, so no sweat

Bottom Line:
GO BUY THEM, to avoid all of the problems that are stated in other reviews, dont install it yourself, even if you know how to do it. Have your reputable LBS, and you'll be satisfied. I use from xc--dh, so have fun

Favorite Trail:   anything with dirt

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   x7, x5, x4, x3, acera, alivio, deore, xt, xx, x0, xtr

Bike Setup:   Gary fisher 29er w/ MODDED 63mm RST Neon (feels bottomless and very sturdy) X9 shifters/derailleurs, 980 cassette, 991 chain, truvativ stylo crank, bb7 w/ speed dial 7, bontrager ranger wheelset w/ bonty xr1 team issue tires, bonty SSR cockpit, crank bros. sc pedals

Submitted by yeahdog31 a Cross Country Rider from Ohio

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2011

Strengths:    Build quality, looks, performance.

Weaknesses:    None, other than perhaps price if you pay retail. Probably worth it, though.

Bottom Line:
I came to this product from OEM X.5. I was always hesitant to upgrade because, frankly, X.9 stuff is quite a bit more expensive than the rest and I couldn't imagine it would be THAT much better in performance. The X.5 stuff was always very adequate.
HOWEVER, when I came across the great deal on X.9 shifters and rear derailleur, what a difference it makes! It is a tiny bit lighter, which is always nice, and the build quality is noticeably better. But the biggest difference is indeed in shifting performance. Shifts are so smooth and immediate that I sometimes don't even feel the gear change at all after I pull the trigger. Just a quick shift, just the way it should be.
Installation and adjustments are straightforward and simple.
We'll see how they hold up, but so far so good. And SRAM definitely has a reputation for longevity. Definitely a great upgrade if you enjoy quick, effortless shifts.

Purchased At:   Chainlove

Similar Products Used:   X.5, Shimano

Bike Setup:   Titus Motolite with lots of mid- and upper-grade components.

Submitted by lmbiker a Cross Country Rider from stamford, ct, usa

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2010

Strengths:    This is for the SRAM X9 Triggers:
Functional, shifts OK (if you can figure out the shifting)

Weaknesses:    The shift engineering here stinks. It is all thumbs (literally) and NOT intuitive whatsoever.

Bottom Line:
The SRAMs shift OK (more the derailleur than the shifters), but the system is NOT intuitive and you have to think about which direction you are shifting every single time which leads to constant mis-shifts. SRAM X9 Triggers are junk!

Go Shimano Triggers all the way. Shimano's index/thumb combo shifting is so intuitive you don't even have to think when shifting - which is the way it should be mountain biking on techy trails.

Favorite Trail:   mianus, huntington, lippman, stewart, 909, etc

Purchased At:   LBS (came w my bike)

Similar Products Used:   Shimano LX, XT, XTR

Bike Setup:   2008 Specialized Enduro Expert SL
Shame on Specialized for putting SRAM junk on this bike!

Submitted by fgrcl a Weekend Warrior from Chile

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2010

Strengths:    X9 Twister - Fast shifting up and down, precise gear indicator, micro adjust for the front deraileur, very lightweight.

Weaknesses:    It's hard to brake and shift at the same time, comes only in gray.

Bottom Line:
I was ready to buy an upgrade to go from Alivio to Deore LX when I got onto a 100 km (62 mi) endurance race in a very dirty place where no rain had been seen in months. After a couple hours my rearderaileur went on strike because dirt almost locked the cable inside the housing. When I got to the finish line I was already decided: SRAM.

I read a few reviews and decided to get the X9 twister. When I first rode it I noticed the weight difference. Actually, the whole handlebar feels much lighter now. And on the trails, it rocks. I can keep the gear until the very last moment. 5 gears down? Here they come. 3 gears up? Here you are. Chain is making noise in the front deraileur? Click and shut up. That simple.

If you have an open mind, you should give the twisters a try. And if you need too much maintenance to keep your rear deraileur working fine, you should give SRAM a try.

Favorite Trail:   Sendero de Chile

Similar Products Used:   Shimano RapidFire (Alivio)

Bike Setup:   A weird mixture of fancier components on a Jamis Ranger SX frame.

Submitted by laytonkor a Weekend Warrior from Fort Collins, Co

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2009

Strengths:    Works reasonably if you never take it apart.

Weaknesses:    Explodes if you take it apart wrong

Bottom Line:
For x-9 trigger shifter:
I had this shifter for about two weeks when I needed to remove the cable to repair a dented cable housing. The manual they sent me was for an X.0, so I got confused and took off the bottom shifter housing instead of the top one (my bad). Before I even had a chance to remove the housing piece, something went pop. I instantly put it back together (no pieces lost), but it would not work right. I took it into my local bike shop and they could not figure out how to rebuild it (or for that matter what was wrong with it), and Sram was useless in giving them any help on how to do so. Their warranty policy was: you did it wrong so tough. Buy a new one. Essentially, if you take this lower part off, or even partially off, it ruins the shifter. Why is there no warning sticker? Why are there even screws in this piece? So I had to buy another one. I have had so many problems with Sram components,I am giving them the minimum chilis soley for their pathetic customer service and worthless warranty department.

Purchased At:   Price Point

Bike Setup:   Felt Redemption 2

Submitted by spaaarky21 a Weekend Warrior from Omaha, NE

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2009

Strengths:    - Super crisp, fast, consistent shifts! I can't stress this enough!
- Unlike the XT's they replaced, they don't struggle to climb a gear and they don't hesitate to drop a gear. They never fail to shift and they don't try to shift on their own at inopportune times. The X.9's are just all around great shifters.
- Can downshift 5 sprockets at a time, as opposed to 3 or Shimano Deores or 4 on Deore XT's.
- To release cable, you push a lever instead of pulling it like a trigger. That took some getting used to but I really like it. I can keep a much better grip on my handlebars that way.
- Installation was quicker and easier than I expected.
- They haven't really needed any adjustments since I installed them months ago.

Weaknesses:    The X.9's and X.0's don't have indicators to show you what gear you are in. Not having the indicators saves weight but I'm not that competitive. If I wanted to take 20 grams off of a bike, I would take it off the rider. :-)

If you want the indicators, you'll want X.7's or lower. The indicators on the X.7's are pretty neat.

Bottom Line:
I have the 2008 model X.9 trigger shifters (not the Grip Shift ones pictured.)

I replaced a set of Shimano XT's with these Sram X.9's and it was one of the best things I could have done. I always had Shimano's and just thought finicky was the "nature of the beast." It wasn't until I got a bike with XT's (the less weight-saving version of Shimano's flagship XT-R components) that I realized that shifting should be better than that. I truly had no idea shifting could be so good. If you have Shimano's and are thinking about buying Srams, do it! Do it now! Even if you replace high-end Shimanos with mid-grade Srams, it will be a step up in performance.

Favorite Trail:   Swanson Park

Purchased At:   PricePoint.com

Similar Products Used:   Shimano Deore (now rebranded as part of the LX line I think) and Deore XT.

Bike Setup:   Full suspension cross country. X.9 shifters/derailleurs except for a downswing XT front derailleur.

Submitted by jimfwilson a Cross Country Rider from St Leon, Germany

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2009

Strengths:    When it's working, nothing is better

Weaknesses:    When it quits, you get to spend more money.

Bottom Line:
These were so good for the first 9 months. Then, one wet weekend trip to the French Alps, and suddenly the right shifter started hanging up on downshifts. Lube helped for a couple rides, then nothing worked. I found a link on RideMonkey for disassembly/assembly and carefully took it apart, meticulously cleaned and lubed it, but it will not work like it ought to. The top and bottom bolts thread together and when the large lever is actuated, it causes the bolts to tighten to the point where it will not return with the normal spring pressure. I tried loctite on the bolt threads, but no luck. The bushing sleeve on the bottom bolt also appears to siezing up and no lubricant I have tried makes it much better. I used the same twist shifters for 9 years and never had these issues--never missed a shift. I'm very disappointed in this product's short life span.

Favorite Trail:   many

Purchased At:   MTBR

Similar Products Used:   Twist shift SRAM

Submitted by jazbon a Cross Country Rider from lincoln uk

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2009

Strengths:    works well when it decides to work

Weaknesses:    lever goes stiff quickly.. impossible to reassemble spring system

Bottom Line:
This for a X9 shifter, trigger version bought in 2007 ish. Straight out of the box they seemed to work fine until i decided to change the cable outers and inners because i noticed things were getting very stiff. WELL!!!! what a farce. the system comes as two split caps held together with one allen key screw. Unlike normal systems where there is a fairly large plastic grub screw in the outer casing to which you can easily 'pull out' and 'thread in' a replacement cable without dissasembling the whole damn thing the the x9's dont give you that. Soooo the trick is to take the cap off 'one side' and not 'the other'.. which simply is not going to happen in the real world . The result is 'yes' you can easily thread a new cable when apart but trying to repace the leaver side is impossible... with its spring, which incidentally has been designed so that it rubs across over itself in a very messy and inefficient way. when you finally get the spring to sit it does not behave in a normal way. I have wasted many hours trying to get this thing back together again but it still will not recoil properly. New shifter time .. total rubbish for any type of sevicing. if you want a shifter to last forget the x9

Favorite Trail:   coed y brenin

Purchased At:   online store

Similar Products Used:   simano xtr xt sram x7 x5

Bike Setup:   intense tracer, minute 2 forks, magura brakes

Submitted by Larry Freeman a Cross Country Rider from Fairbanks, AK 99709

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2008

Strengths:    Quick precise feel, good ergonomics.

Weaknesses:    At cold temperatures (-10F) the lower trigger won't release the cable (can't shift down front, can't shift up rear). Serious flaw for northern riders.

Bottom Line:
Love the shifters at warmer than -10F temperatures. Want to rip them off bike and stomp on them at colder temperatures. Thus my poor review. Having said that I have not yet contacted shop or SRAM to find a fix. I suspect that this is not a common problem, as there are few of us that ride at such at such conditions.

Favorite Trail:   commuter

Purchased At:   W/ GF Paragon stock

Similar Products Used:   Much lower end shifters, all functioned at cold temperatures (derailleurs and cables would get sticky instead, a much easier problem to deal with).

Bike Setup:   Stock 2008 Gary Fisher Paragon 29er

Submitted by scottb70435 a Racer from New Orleans, LA

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2008

Strengths:    The feel over Shimano is just better in my opinon. Love the thumb shifting and the layout. Real quick and precise.

Weaknesses:    I've owned 3 pair over the last 2 years. One pair was my fault due to an endo which Nashbar still replaced. (Love those peoples)The last 2 pair the trigger just got stuck. The bike shop said the first one could not be repaired so I sent it back and got another. During this time I was still using the first X9 replacement and this past weekend it had the same problem but on the right shifter. No biggie for me b/c I'm having the new exchanged pair put on.

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is I love these shifters but can't deny that 2 different pair have bummed out on me. (although it has taken several months) If it would have been during a race then you might see flame coming out of these words. Plus Nashbar allows an exchange. If the same thing happens to the new pair then I'll move to the X.0 shifters and see what happens. That's how many bad experiences I've had with Shimano componentry. No offense to Shimano advocates.

Favorite Trail:   Devil's Backbone

Purchased At:   Nashbar.com

Similar Products Used:   Shimano

Bike Setup:   '07 Titus Racer X. SRAM X.O rear, Mavic Crossmax SL's, etc.

Submitted by jwsb a Cross Country Rider from Sta Rosa

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2008

Strengths:    Crisp and shifting, 1:1 ratio, natural ergonomics

Weaknesses:    reliability, hard to service

Bottom Line:
These are great positive engagement shifters. I prefer the shifting feel of sram over shimano. More precise and faster. zero ghost shifting. You feel more connected to the drivetrain. I believe the problem for my particular shifter is that fine mud gets in the assembly so the bushing stops lubricating. the shifter freezes and the return spring fails to put the longer lever back in place. trying to loosen things up with lubricant from the outside is a worthless effort. complete disassembly is a nightmare but was able to fix it twice over a year until i finally gave up! now the front shifter is doing the same thing. I downgraded to x7 and seems to be working fine for now. maybe bearings are better than bushings in these conditions? nonetheless i am disappointed; and i had been a loyal sram fan. shimano now seems to be making more sense. the shadows look promising and offer more for the money when comparing xo's to xtr. one more breakdown and i'm definitely shifting to shimano.

Favorite Trail:   Philippines