Home | Reviews | Shifter | SRAM

SRAM X0 Twist Shifter

4.6/5 (20 Reviews)
Weight : 195 grams MSRP : $49.99

SRAMs best MTB shifters.The X.0 rivals any other shifting system for weight, reliability, and smooth shifting.Rear is for use with SRAM ESP 1:1 rear derailleurs only. Front works with any front derailleur. Weight: 175 grams (Estimated) Compatibility: 9 , ESP 1:1 ratio for Sram ESP rear derailleurs only Cables: Cables included without housing, Grips also included

Submitted by John Woodington

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2014

Strengths:    Lightweight, fast and clean shifting, reliable, nothing to break, cheap

Weaknesses:    Can't just replace the grip anymore when it wears out
People who haven't tried them like to tell how dumb you are for not using trigger shifters

Bottom Line:
I used to be a die hard trigger shifter fan 20 years ago and ignorantly talked about all of the horrible grip shift myths that are still being talked about today. Funny thing is, when I tried them, none of the myths were true and I learned to love them after only a couple short rides.

The X0 shifters are the best I've ever used. So precise. The best part is you never have to pull your hands off the bars or the brakes. You can also put the brake lever where ever you want.

My only complaint is that these don't have replacement grips like they used to... at least not that I've found anyway. Have to replace the whole shifter now.

Submitted by ryan kemp

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2013

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    Sloppy shifting when compared to trigger shifters. DURABILITY SUCKS! Do not buy.

Bottom Line:
Really deserves 0/5 chilli... Sloppy shifting when compared to trigger shifters. DURABILITY SUCKS... after 4 months of use the shifter stopped holing a "click" and would release back to small cog... ie it would not hold any gear but small cog without you manually holding it in position. Looked inside shifter and found that the "speed metal indexer" had somehow failed... it would move out of position and loose all it's spring into the clicker slots which is suppoesed to hold the gear you are in. EPIC FAIL by sram. between this and the elixir brakes I am starting to doubt this company and it's products. kinda sad... i really used to like their stuff... now it's all crap.

Submitted by Vespasianus a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2013

Strengths:    Solid shifts. Indestructible. Ability to shift from top of range to bottom in seconds. Pretty cheap and low in weight.

Weaknesses:    Takes up handlebar space.

Bottom Line:
Been running these for over 5 years without much complaint. With sealed gore-tex cable, you get perfect shifting without having to do anything. Don't understand how people could break these as they are incredibly simple and solid. Great product that is greatly undervalued.

Favorite Trail:   all

Duration Product Used:   5 years

Purchased At:   Bluesky

Similar Products Used:   XT Rapid-fire, X-9 gripshift and X-9 triggers.

Bike Setup:   Turner 5-Spot

Submitted by tkehler a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2013

Strengths:    Light

Weaknesses:    Very pricey. Not robust, and chock-full of plastic

Bottom Line:
These are highly touted. They are light and the front in particular shifts superbly. However, if you attempt to install your own grips, you may have trouble. Pulling off the SRAM grip can pull open the housing and let a spring out. The rubbery cover is also hard to reinstall. But above all, despite the talk of all the metal inside the new twist shifters (yes, the bearings are metal), you will see a heck of a lot of plastic. And that plastic is fragile. I ride XC almost gingerly, with lots of cardio and climbing and not too many bumps, jumps or wipeouts. In addition to the spring coming out, I had a plastic part break! And all I've done is shift. I really wanted these to be as good as previous versions of SRAM twist shift, but tougher and more reliable. That doesn't seem to be the case, despite the cost.

Duration Product Used:   2-3 months

Similar Products Used:   Lots of SRAM shifters, twist and trigger

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mt Element 970; Santa Cruz Superlight

Submitted by rokbottom47

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2012

Strengths:    Crisp, accurate shifting. No issues with accidental shifting. 1:1 actuation rocks. Easy to put on and maintain.

Weaknesses:    On my second set of the XO twist shifters, the number decals on the right 9-speed indicator came off. The indicator was replaced for free, but after 1 year, the numbers on the new one are also coming off.

Bottom Line:
Had to replace my SRAM trigger shifters with the twisters due to arthritis in my thumb. Was very reluctant to change at first, but now I would not go back even if I didn't have arthritis. These things are great. Hand never leaves the handlebar, just slide it over a bit to shift. Easy shifting even with thick gloves. I put my old set of Twist Shifters on my wife's bike and got myself a new set. Unfortunately all the numbers came off the 9-speed gear indicator. SRAM replaced for free through LBS (which is why I still give them 5 chilis), but now the new one, after one year, is starting to lose the numbers. Numbers on the old one still good. SRAM must be using a cheaper adhesvie.

Submitted by afullsodacan a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2012

Strengths:    Shift crisply, lock in place well, the microshift eliminates chain rub on the front derailleur, they are light, and pretty cheap compared to other shifters ( I got them for about $68 on Amazon new and shipped!)

Weaknesses:    not quite as comfortable as a regular full handlebar grip, the grips that come with these could mate up better

Bottom Line:
I have used these for a about 3 months now after using SRAM X7 trigger shifters for a while. I was looking to match my X0 rear derailleur that I "inherited" when I bought a used 2005 Giant NRS C2. I am on a budget, I would never have bought the X0 triggers because of their price. I am very impressed with these, I believe I have MAYBE mis-shifted when riding, even when jumping, only about 2 times that I can remember--not counting crashes, because that happens even with triggers--Heck, I have even mis-shifted a few times with triggers when going to shift while riding and I hit a bump or something.

These lock pretty solid, shift very crisply, and prevent mis-shifts much better than I would have thought. The rubber on these is nice and grippy, especially when paired with gloves; I do not remember my hand ever slipping. The main thing I love about these is how you can go through the whole range of gears with just a flick of the wrist. Because of this, I honestly feel they have improved my riding. Another thing that is great is that they are lighter than triggers. Also, I love the microshift, it prevents chain rub on the front derailleur and keeps the bike quiet; the way I like it.

The main thing I don't like about them is that they don't feel quite as good as a regular full handlebar grip. I really am not a fan of the grips that come with these. You have to cut them much shorter than they come stock, or else you will have a WIDE grip area. The grips should mate up better with the edge of the grip-shifter. Because of this I rigged some old, thick foam grips with these. Also, sometimes when shifting these can slightly interfere with braking. But, seems to not be a problem, since you have 2 brakes, and you are basically never going to be using both shifters and brakes at the same time.

Bottom Line: They shift well, they are quite cheap compared to any other high-end shifters (especially at Amazon's price), they are light, and you can shift faster with them. I definitely recommend buying Jagwire's Ripcord derailleur kit when you buy these. That is the best way to get the full potential of these. I say these are definitely great for XC, Trail, All Mountain. May not be best for Downhill/Freeride when doing bigger jumps, although you would probably be fine. I would say definitely not for Dirt Jumping, though, seems like might get in the way of barspins, etc.

Favorite Trail:   Ridgeline at Balm Boyette

Purchased At:   Amazon.com

Similar Products Used:   X7 Triggers, X9 Triggers, older Shimano Rapid-fires, cheap Alivio

Bike Setup:   2005 Giant NRS C2, rigged 2x9 drivetrain

Submitted by Throttlemire a Cross Country Rider from Laguna Niguel, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2011

Strengths:    East of use. Weight. Predictable, easy shifts.

Weaknesses:    Bulky design can interfere with brake lever. Grip section is too wide.

Bottom Line:
Great shifter that holds up very well. Very intuitive and lightning fast. Multiple shifts is a breeze. Grip Material and ergonomics are excellent.

Favorite Trail:   San Juan

Bike Setup:   GF Paragon HT with XO group.

Submitted by toadlywilde a Cross Country Rider from Thousand Oaks, CA

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2011

Strengths:    Precise Shifting, Simply Clean (Less stuff to break in a crash), Price, Weight

Weaknesses:    I can't make fun of my buddies' sram attacks anymore. Ergonomics (Subjective)

Bottom Line:
I was a skeptic. Now I really like them. I've only ever used the Shimano Deore rapidfire shifters and the XO twister shifters. I used the same set of rapidfires for 10+ years on my 26" nukeproof hardtail without problems so I have nothing negative to say about them. The XO twisters are a significant upgrade so you might say I'm comparing apples to oranges here. Maybe so, but here's what I like about the twister shifters: Precision. Lets say you're in your middle ring in the front and a tall ring in the back. Sometimes, even with a well tuned system, you can get a little bit chain rub on the front derailer cage. I hate that. But with the twister shifters, you can give or take a half click to fix any rubbing issues. I haven't used XO or XT triggers, but I couldn't do the half click stuff with my deore rapidfires. There's nothing quite like the natural feel of triggers. I haven't had any trouble getting used to the twister shifters, though.

Favorite Trail:   Slickrock, Moab

Purchased At:   Blue Sky Cycling

Similar Products Used:   Shimano Deore Rapidfire (Triggers)

Bike Setup:   VooDoo Canzo 29 w/ RT3, Reba RLT, Sun Ringle' Charger Pros, Mostly XO, Truvativ Stylo Team Cockpit and Crankset.

Submitted by korbs a Racer from philadelph pa

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2011

Strengths:    Fast shifts! efficient movement

Weaknesses:    none!

havent come out with a 2x10 gripshift set yet.

Bottom Line:
These shifters rock. they give you more of a 'hands on' sense of where you are in your gearing, no more thumb aches. I swear theyve made me faster. crisp fast shifts every time without much need for maintanance or adjustments.

Favorite Trail:   any!

Purchased At:   ebay, LBS

Similar Products Used:   xtr trigger, shimano/paul thumbies, sram trigger

Bike Setup:   Vicious cycles metal guru, race face cranks, xtr fd, x0 rd, chris king components, thomson post, paul motolite

Submitted by barnhorse a Cross Country Rider from Las Cruces, NM USA

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2011

Strengths:    I put them on my bike a year ago. I have never looked back. I will never use a trigger of any kind again. I can select where I want to be, twist it that many clicks, and I am there instantly. Wonderful. And mine haven't required anything much in the way of adjustment.

Bottom Line:
No more sore thumbs.

Similar Products Used:   Both SRAM and Shimano triggers through the years.

Submitted by TTTURNER a Cross Country Rider from LA QUINTA, CA

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2010

Strengths:    Solid and flawless shifting. The fastest shifting of any shifters. They don't hesitate when doing multiple shifts. The cable provided is good.

Weaknesses:    They don't have my name on them.

Bottom Line:
These shifters are bulletproof. I haven't had to adujust them in over a year.

Favorite Trail:   HURKEY CREEK

Purchased At:   PRICEPOINT

Similar Products Used:   You name it!

Bike Setup:   Turner Flux Prototype, Fox (Pushed front and rear), Sram XO, Mavic SL Disc

Submitted by BokorSolo a Weekend Warrior from Prince William, VA, USA

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2010

Strengths:    Cheap, compared to any other top end shifter. Clean and crisp shifting. Built solid. Very light.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
These are the best shifters I have bought for my riding style. They work great, weigh close to nothing and if they do break are so cheap to replace. I had issues with slip-shifting during a climb because my hands were on the grips. But I remedied this by purchasing a wider bar and some regular sized lock-ons. It gave me better leverage and I can climb without accidentally shifting. I can dump the cassette without a problem on the climbs and drop to my high range on the flats and downhills without an issue. Best shifting setup for the discerning XC rider.

Similar Products Used:   x.9 gripshifters, SRAM x-ray.

Bike Setup:   XC

Submitted by spartan034 a Racer from Dahlonega, GA

Date Reviewed: December 20, 2009

Strengths:    fast, positive shifting, can cover the whole cassette in one shift, rather than 2-3 cogs with triggers

Weaknesses:    Look a litte big?
I wish the grips where easily replacable and companies could produce grips to put on that match your grip. But that is a bit much to ask for I think

Bottom Line:
If you ride a bike, these are for you.

Except if you are a bike ninja, then they are too loud and will give away your presence.