Home | Reviews | Shifter | SRAM

SRAM X0 Trigger Shifter

Weight : 225 grams MSRP : $184.99

This X0 Silver Trigger Shifter Set is specifically designed to shift a triple compatible front derailleur across three chainrings as well as affect 10-speed gear changes out back. It's made just like the standard X0 set, save for the polished aluminum finish on the top cover that reminds us of our first X0 group from back in the day. In addition to giving your bars some extra bling, you'll get the same reliable and effortless shifting function you've always known from SRAM X0 parts.The lever position can be adjusted for finger length or push preference. They're also Matchmaker-X compatible if you appreciate a clean handlebar arrangement. But the real test is the shifting. And it's incredible -- so smooth, so easy. It's remarkable how much smoother these shifters feel than their X-9 counterparts. This is what makes them such a worthy upgrade. The Exact Actuation simplifies derailleur setup and ensures precise shifting from the word go. The SRAM X0 Silver Trigger Shifter Set is designed to work with all SRAM mountain triple front and 10-speed rear derailleurs. Cable replacement is easy. Simply pop off the alloy top cover, pull out the old cable, thread in the new one, and take off -- easy as a summer breeze. If you can take the plunge for X0 Shifters, you won't be disappointed.Exact Actuation 1:1 ratio means cable movement is equal to derailleur movement, providing reliability, easy setup, and effortless actuationZero-Loss technology enables instant cable engagement for insanely fast shiftingMatchmaker compatibility allows de-cluttering of the handlebarsAdjustable lever for enhanced ergonomics

Submitted by therollex a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2012

Strengths:    When working ok

Weaknesses:    After a months use the rear shifter stopped working. The lever wouldn't engage. Sent it back to SRAM but after repeated emails got nothing back. Bought a new replacement one. Today the front shifter has started doing the same. Very disappointed in the product and their customer service. They don't even have the decency to reply. Have been using SRAM for over 10y but I'm very tempted to ditch it and go XTR.

Bottom Line:
My X0 9 speed was bullet proof, over 20,000ks on a X0 setup. New 10s a fraction of this. Anyone from SRAM why don't you front up and answer emails???

Favorite Trail:   Karori

Duration Product Used:   2months

Similar Products Used:   X9 9 speed

Bike Setup:   Turner DW Spot Fox SRAM soon to be XTR

Submitted by authalic a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2012

Strengths:    These shifters are snappy. They work neatly and quickly every time. They were easy to install and dial in. The build quality is top end. All metal body and levers. The starting position of the large lever is adjustable to match the reach of your thumb.

Weaknesses:    I haven't had to replace the cable yet, but from what I'm reading here, it looks like it's something I don't want to do out on the trail. The price is much higher than X9 components.

Bottom Line:
I have used these shifters for nearly 6 weeks. In that time, I have ridden 145 miles of mostly single track, climbed 13,700 feet, and descended more than 33,000 feet, so I have done a good amount of shifting. I love these shifter so far, and I think this is more than just a first impression. They perform without any trouble. The adjustability is nice. You can set the larger lever to any position in its rotation, so it's under your thumb when you reach for it. (I couldn't do that with my X7 shifters, which is why they got replaced.) I am using these with X9 derailleurs and have never had better shifting on a bike. It's not something I need to think about when I'm riding. I wish my brakes worked this well.

Favorite Trail:   Pinecone / Mid-Mountain / Millcreek

Duration Product Used:   6 weeks, 145 miles

Purchased At:   Amazon

Similar Products Used:   SRAM X7 trigger shifters

Bike Setup:   2012 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29. Upgraded front derailleur to X9 to match rear, and upgraded shifters to X0

Submitted by ehigh a Weekend Warrior from San Luis Obispo

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2012

Strengths:    I love the way these shift. If you're a picky rider, these definitely feel good. It's easy to adjust and makes my drivetrain smooth. I really enjoy how solid of a feeling these have.

Weaknesses:    The cable routing could be a little easier.

Bottom Line:
I'd recommend these if you've got the budget for it.

Favorite Trail:   2 sheiks and a dog

Purchased At:   Art's Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   X7 shifters

Bike Setup:   blah blah blah, it's fast

Submitted by judyklien a Weekend Warrior from Singapore

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2011

Strengths:    Looks nice
Crisp shifting

Weaknesses:    The aluminium levers on these shifters are flawed fundamentally. They bend too easily and break soon after that. Totally NOT SUITABLE for MTB - and I am only a weekend warrior from Singapore aka no-mountain country...

Bottom Line:
The shifter performs well, shifts crisply and generally looks bling.

However, with the kind of money going into each of these things, you would have thought that they last longer than 2 months.

I have moved on to a XO drivetrain from a XTR M975 set for about 6 months now. I am already into my 2nd (and potentially a 3rd set of right-hand-side shifter). The problem is I did not even suffer an epic crash but the right hand side lever seems to bend after rounds of "intense shifting" - if you can call mine that.

The first sign of fatigue is when the aluminum lever get stuck as you shift down to a looser gear at the back (because it got bent upwards and got stuck by the plastic downshift lever). Then after weeks of moving the lever back manually, part of the lever will begin to break. Which is also the time when you should change those levers unless you want to run the chance to be stuck with 2 gears up front when you are in the middle of an enduro ride....

Very disappointed. I wouldn't have bothered with the chillis but 1 chilli is the lowest I can give. IMO, they are worth less than that. oh yes, because most LBS 9even Sram Singapore distributor don't stock them and recommend you to change the entire set - yes, left and right)

Favorite Trail:   Chiangmai Doi Suthep

Similar Products Used:   M975 XTR

Bike Setup:   Ibis Mojo/36 Talas/X.O drivetrain/I9 Wheels

Submitted by racehorsetx a Racer from Columbus, texas

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2010

Weaknesses:    this is the worst design for cable changes ever.

Bottom Line:
Back to Shimano

Bike Setup:   X9.0

Submitted by dombonic a Cross Country Rider from blaw blaw blaw, US

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2010

Strengths:    SRAM DUDE...Pls read below and HELP your loyal fans.

Weaknesses:    Changing the cables out can be a headache. SRAM...common guys, think about the shop wrench having to change these out in a hurry for a customer!!! Think about the weekend warrior at home on Friday night in his garage with a six pack getting ready for tomorrow's ride. Changing these cables out should be a one minute jobby. 1. Cables head is hidden under the spring 2. Having to pry the cable head out with a blunt object. 3. Routing the new cable through a 1mm glory hole at a 1/2" radius...This should-be one minute task just turned into an hour and SHIMANO has you beat right here. SRAM Engimneers>>>think of the users!!!!!

Bottom Line:
I will continue to use these shifters but I will search for the solution prior to backing out the fancy little "IMPULSE" carbon-plate keeper.

HELP: If you have rigging to make this a one minute jobby please share with me.

Favorite Trail:   Single Speed Capable I guess...

Similar Products Used:   XT, XTR

Bike Setup:   Doesn't matter...it still doesnt shift with out a cable

Submitted by Reeper a Cross Country Rider from Wisconsin

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2010

Strengths:    Crisp, clean shifts. Easy setup.

Weaknesses:    Price and the fact that you'll need a SRAM rear derailluer.

Bottom Line:
These shifters are bomb. Crisp, clean shifts and thumb-thumb is the way to go - steep leanring curve.

Favorite Trail:   All

Similar Products Used:   Shimano SLX, XT

Submitted by Spokaned a Cross Country Rider from Spokane, WA. US

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2009

Strengths:    Crisp shifting and light weight. Very adjustable too.

Weaknesses:    Expensive

Bottom Line:
Great stuff, well made, and great under pressure.

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine Rim

Purchased At:   Jenson online

Similar Products Used:   XT combo brake/shifter lever. (They sucked).

Bike Setup:   '08 Specialized Enduro SL PRO CARBON with SRAM XO drivetrain.

Submitted by plaggie a Cross Country Rider from Ottawa

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2009

Strengths:    The price is steep for these pieces of (very) functional jewelry, but if you’re looking for the best feel on the market at the moment, they are worth every penny. The thumb-thumb style of shifting may not be your cup of tea, and that alone may keep you from considering them when the time comes to chose new pods. SRAM does almost everything right, but cable changes are a royal pain in the butt, and these pods won’t always mate up well with every kind of brake system.

Bottom Line:
Awesome

Favorite Trail:   Gatineau

Purchased At:   Pinkbick

Similar Products Used:   XT/XTR

Bike Setup:   Jamis Dakar XC Comp

Submitted by johnstoc a Cross Country Rider from Corvallis, OR

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2009

Strengths:    Incredible, positive, mechanical feel when it shifts. Light and strong. CNC levers are awesome.

Weaknesses:    Carbon plate is so-so, can vibrate a little if not kept tight. Be extremely careful when changing shift cables, you have to sneak the cable head out from behind 2 springs and if you flinch.... they launch into obscene places in your garage and you'll spend hours getting it back together.

Bottom Line:
No shimano shifter will ever feel this good. You can feel the positive mechanical snap from when this thing shifts in your bones and it feels great... I dream about it.

4 flames for value because they are spendy and changing cables is lame. 5 overall because it does what it does ridiculously well.

Favorite Trail:   Gnarly Singletrack

Purchased At:   Yard sale!

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT, deore, etc.

Bike Setup:   X.0 shifters/rd, XT fd, XT cranks, XT cassete. Drivetrain is money.

Submitted by Grum27 a Weekend Warrior from Melbourne, Australia

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2009

Strengths:    Great shifting action, light weight, Bling, work great with Shimano front mech.

Weaknesses:    Price, the alloy thumb lever has been known to remove skin of the un-weary. Dodgey fitting screw cap and carbon top.

Bottom Line:
When using the rear mech the shifting is so fast you don't have time to blink. The alloy lever is adjustable to whatever feels like a comfortable position, I only found this out after taking the skin off my thumb a few times!

The left shifter works best with any of shimano's front mechs. I am using a Deore at the moment and it changes much more smoothly than using a SRAM X-Gen or even Shimano shifter/mech combo. the lever pull takes up shifter cable so much quicker than shimano does, making shifting a easy on the thumbs affair.

The only real downside to these shifters (keeping in mind mine are 06 models) is that the top carbon plate sits quite loose and the fitting screw does not engage properly all the way in. This can be fixed with a correct fitting washer or rubber seal. The new models may have this issue addressed I'm unsure.

Purchased At:   Internet

Similar Products Used:   Shimano Rapidfire

Bike Setup:   Giant Trance SRAM XO

Submitted by tgoss a Cross Country Rider from Colorado

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2009

Strengths:    Fast, Precise, Bling

Weaknesses:    Can't find any.

Bottom Line:
These are money. Very swift and precise. I'm very please with these and going with new Elixir CR brakes the matchmaker hinge is ridiculously convenient.

A great addition to the ride.

Purchased At:   Bike Source

Similar Products Used:   Sram X.7

Submitted by kiwijames a Racer from Lafayette, CA

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2008

Strengths:    Lightweight, quick shifts on short trigger travel, matches up with numerous front Derailleurs. Great fit with the Avid Juicy combo mount. Can adjust the lever paddle degrees. Don't wear out your gloves like the grip shifters.

Weaknesses:    Thumb thumb took some time to get used to after years of XT/XTR. No gear indicator..yes, I still look for it still.

Bottom Line:
After being a Shimano fiend, I've been happily surprised. I went SRAM red on my roadie and am stoked and it opened the way for me to go SRAM on the MTB. If you are used to the thumb/finger of Shimano...you'll make a few bad shifts during the learning curve. If you love the X.0 RD, the grip shifters are a good alternative too, just get beefed up gloves for your pointer finger.

Favorite Trail:   Anything in Joaquin Miller Park

Purchased At:   Colorado Cyclist

Similar Products Used:   Years and Years of XT/XTR rapidfires.

Bike Setup:   SC Blur LT2, X.0 w/triggers, Talas 140 RLC, Float RP23, easton Havoc AM, Juicy Carb, WCS Ritchey Carb stem,bars and WCS pedals, Joplin remote, RF Dues XC

Submitted by Daniel a Cross Country Rider from Greensboro

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2008

Strengths:    Quality, Short shifting action, adjustable paddles.

Weaknesses:    People afraid of Change (rumor has it that Shimano has a patent on the Thumb Finger Action) Thumb Thumb is easy to adapt.

Bottom Line:
This is the same review I gave on the 2006 X.O Trigger shifter review because at the time they did not have this posting. I have the 2007 shifters:
I chose these shifters after using an XTR shifter on a demo bike in Crested Butte, CO. I used twist shift for 10 years because I was not happy with the older shimano shifters, too much travel to shift. The new shimano XT, XTR are worlds better than they used to be. I was going to buy them but I had a Sram XO dérailleur, not compatible. So i went with the 2007 Sram XO shifter. The shifting action is spot on. you here a loud "Click" then it shifts. it is like a short throw shifter in a sports car. The thumb thumb took me only one ride to get the hang of them. I adjusted the top paddle to right where I needed it. I recommend you pay a little extra for the XO than the X9 if you have the means. Adjusting the paddle made it a lot easier to use. I really like these shifters and highly recommend them.

Favorite Trail:   Still testing