Home | Reviews | Shifter | SRAM

SRAM X.9 Twister Shifter

3.5/5 (2 Reviews)

SRAMTwisters areThe best choice for weight-conscious riders. A flick ofThe wrist is all itTakesTo shift. Left shifter works with any front derailleur, right is ESP 1:1 actuation ratio and works only with SRAM 1:1 rear derailleurs (X.0, X.9, X.7 etc) 195 grams Includes inner shift wire, but not housing

Submitted by Stormpeakco

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2012

Strengths:    Could there be any better and more fun shifting than w/ twisters? I have X9 twisters on my Moots YBB with 2X9 set up. I love the ability to trim the FD. It is great being able to dump 3-4 gears in a moment while rounding a corner after descending through some tight aspen filled single track and face a steep uphill section switchback for 4-5 pedals vigorous strokes.

I have a XT crankset, XT FD with a X9 RD and Shimano brake levers. Even with small hands, having a large grip shifter caliber allows me tactilely locate the larger caliber shifter-Ergon grip transition, still use my middle finger on the Shimano brake lever and move index finger on brake lever to shifter and back fairly easily.

Never had any unintentional shifts even when pulling back hard on the bars. To each their own but w/ mtb'g I'm not a thumber or an index finger lever pusher but on a road bike I love the Campy thumb up shifting.

Weaknesses:    not any, really except for maybe the noise. easy to get used to it and it alerts people ahead that you want to pass without saying something obnoxious or using a bell.

Bottom Line:
Sweet, efficient and improves safety for me. Not likely that I'll ever go back to lever mtb shifters.

Submitted by BmoreKen a All Mountain Rider from Ellicott City, MD, USA

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2012

Strengths:    Shifts crisply. Ability to "trim" front derailleur. Can shift up or down multiple gears very quickly - in fact can dump the entire cassette at once, something you cannot do with trigger shifters.

Weaknesses:    "grip" is too large - too long on the bar. Hard to brake and shift simultaneously

Bottom Line:
Grip shifters are simply not for me, though I see great potential in the product.

About me: I typically ride tight and twisty technical singletrack with lots of logs, rocks, streams, short and steep ups and downs, etc. For shorter rides I prefer my single speed, but for longer rides gears come in handy. I've used trigger shifters for years, but having read so many testimonials about how great twisters are, I decided to give them a shot. Also, I use 1 finger on my brake, typically on the brake lever at all times though there is adequate play before the brake grabs. Finally, I'm almost always in my middle ring.

Some of the issues I had with the twisters:
1. The grip shift length along the bar is too long. I did not like having my thumb and forefinger on the shifter grip, but in order to reach the Avid fr-5 brake lever I was forced to. No, I did not have any issues with mis-shifting when clearing several logs, drops, jumps, and various technical features.
2. The grip shift part is uncomfortable, compared to an Oury grip or Ergon. I typically use Ergon GX-1s. The SRAM grip that came with the shifters was also too wide for my taste compared to an Oury or Ergon.
3. Arranging the grip shifter with Avid fr-5 brake levers is a challenge, especially if you want to view the entire range of the indicator window. My brakes are typically mounted much lower than horizontal. In order to see the full range you'd have to be much more horizontal than I am comfortable with. But truly, I'm surprised they don't "fit" more naturally.
4. Cannot shift while braking. The terrain I ride often requires you shift in advance of an upcoming steep while descending a fast, bumpy downhill. Very hard to do with the twist shifter, but I do it all the time with the triggers.

The potential: Could you imagine an integrated twister shifter/brake lever combo that had a shorter grip area to allow for full size grips?

IMO, grip shifters would be good for less technical trails, like fireroads or doubletrack, especially if you're shifting often (to justify holding on to the shifter). But for most people, stick with triggers.

Favorite Trail:   Patapsco