Home | Reviews | Shifter | SRAM

SRAM X.5 Trigger Shifter

3.33/5 (6 Reviews)

SRAM X5 10-Speed Trigger Shifter Set. Available in double (2x10) and triple (3x10) configurations, X5 Shifters use EXACT ACTUATION for precise and dependable 10-speed performance.

Submitted by mik

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2012

Strengths:    they work - if you have big hands or you are double jointed

Weaknesses:    a pain to use

Bottom Line:
These shifters are the worse ergonomically designed i have had to use. they were on the bike i bought and taken off after one ride of two hours. the problem is that the big paddle closest to you, is to far away from your thumb, in fact your thumb is in front of it; and as the paddle is to big anyway you have to reach back around it to push it forwards. you also have to reach under the bars to push the front paddle forwards to shift up a gear. which if you set the rear up so you can get to it, then the front is to far away.
but what is really bad is this - if the paddles were the other way around, big at the front and smaller one at the back you could get to both of them perfectly- Now, how did they manage that?

Submitted by chaz123 a Downhiller from united kingdom

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2011

Strengths:    reliable and strong(i know i crashed it in to a tree)quick

Weaknesses:    dirt can effect perfomance

Bottom Line:
sram x5 shifters are realiable and strong and are good shifters for any downhill rider
a well worth buy which will get you to your destination in half the time

Favorite Trail:   anywhere

Purchased At:   torico

Bike Setup:   to go as fast as possible

Submitted by kjbbb a Weekend Warrior from Philadelphia

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2010

Weaknesses:    broke after 50 miles

Bottom Line:
I had this shifter come default on my bike. Unfortunately, the rear shifter started slipping and felt like it wouldn't catch the cable. I had to be very gentle with shifting into a higher gear or it would just slip and not shift. Now, I am not particularly hard on them either. I have 6 year old Shimano Deore LX shifters which still work as well as the day I got them. These broke after 50 miles... Unacceptable.

I bought the x9 as soon as I bought the bike and was just too lazy to put them on. But good thing I bought them because the x5 broke. However, it is still unfortunate that they broke because I was going to give them to someone.

Purchased At:   with bike

Similar Products Used:   Shimano Deore, x0, x9

Submitted by Mountain_Rocker a Weekend Warrior from Philippines

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2009

Strengths:    nice looking, bang for the buck although it came with my built bike

Weaknesses:    hard on thumb fingers.. after an hour ride my thumb starts to feel some pain. Specially when i did rolling climbs.

Bottom Line:
go for the X-0 Twister instead coz that's what I'm gonna do!

Favorite Trail:   Maarat

Purchased At:   came with built bike

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain Slayer SXC 30, Marzocchi 55R, Fox RP2

Submitted by joshwalee a Racer from Phoenix

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2008

Strengths:    Dual thumb controls for single finger operation, quick response, well located and visible displays.

Weaknesses:    None, unless you prefer index triggers.

Bottom Line:
I have 2 bikes and run Sram drivetrains on both. My Mongoose Teocali came with X.5 shifters and rear derailleur. My other bike (K2 Lithium) runs an X.7 drivetrain. The X.7 products simply have some machined alloy parts in place of composites found on the X.5. Besides appearance, I would have to say the X.5 does the same great job that the X.7 performs.
The shifts are quick and accurate! It does it's job great for a product you can find at half the price of an LX. It has a bit of a large size, but the performance and price make up the difference. 5 flamin' hot chilis for an excellent product line. I highly prefer Sram to Shimano.

Purchased At:   Stock on bike

Similar Products Used:   Grip shifts, Alivio, LX, X.7

Bike Setup:   08 Mongoose Teocali Comp

Submitted by bedbugg2 a Cross Country Rider from uk

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2008

Strengths:    exellent shifters, great value for money,

Weaknesses:    the windows have a tendancy to scratch.

Bottom Line:
fantastic shifters that both me and my friend have on our bikes, they are nearly flawless and i would recommend to anyone who would want to upgrade from shimano.

Favorite Trail:   bissoe