Home | Reviews | Shifter | SRAM

SRAM Rocket Trigger Shifters Shifter

4.78/5 (23 Reviews)

SRAM XX Trigger Shifters 2x10spd: Only compatible with SRAM XX front and rear derailleurs that utilize a dedicated 1:1 Exact Actuation 2x10-speed shifting ratio. Zero Loss Travel for super-precise shifting action...

Submitted by jerrybritt a Cross Country Rider from san antonio, tx, usa

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2009

Strengths:    Ease of install and adjustment. (Barrel adjust @ shift housing was sweet!) Cost. Compatibility with Shimano. Looks. Badassness. Speed and ease.

Weaknesses:    A little hard to find now. Won't work with some SRAM stuff, which seems odd. Just check on your parts before buying and installing. I don't care, because it works with what I have personally :)

Bottom Line:
Well worth the money and ease of setup. Seriously, it was quick and easy to get it shifting properly. Just a few minutes and a bit of grease---I was back on the trail!! NOw I just need to find some better tires and maybe even go tubeless!!

Purchased At:   E-bay from some dude

Similar Products Used:   Shimano Deore XT Rapid Shifter.

Bike Setup:   Jamis Dakar w/ Fox shocks, minute fork, hayes 9.0 disc setup, Larsen TT UST tires, Deore XT 9 front & rear derailleurs. And now...the Rockets.

Submitted by dave a Cross Country Rider from boise

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2007

Strengths:    reliability,performance.

Bottom Line:
I have paired the x9 with the shimano XT M750 on three different bikes now, always very reliable and above average shifting, I really do not find too much difference in reliability between shimano and sram products,sram shifters seem much more intuitive, not real hot about sram rear derailleurs as I have had some minor quality problems with an x9 rear derailleur having squeaky pulley wheels, comes down to saving money sometimes, I see no reason to return to shimano shifters.

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   shimano

Bike Setup:   2005 heckler, fsa mega exo crank set, lx cassette, xtm750 rar derailleur.

Submitted by Greg a Weekend Warrior from Irvine, CA

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2006

Strengths:    Crisp, smooth shifting. Ability to dump multiple gears with one shift.

Weaknesses:    None really, although I'm not too fond of the gear indicator, makes it look cheap.

Bottom Line:
Very easy to install, literally took minutes to put them on and get everything adjusted right. They were totally dialed in on my first test ride. Mates very nicely to my XTR rear deraileur and has definitely improved the crispness and efficiency of the shifting. Thumb shifters allow you to keep all fingers on the bars or keep your index finger ready to brake. Dumps gears better than shimano for those unexpected inclines. Absolutely the best if you are running shimano deraileurs.

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   Shimano LX and XTR.

Submitted by Danny from Nottingham UK

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2006

Strengths:    Light, thumb shifting so can change gear and brake easily. Good looks. The best alternative for shimano rear mechs without a shimano shifter.

Weaknesses:    Nuffin to do with performance, just that when you have to adjust it n tighten it up then bolt i in an awkward position that you cannot get to it first without loosening your brake lever first. After that you cannot tighten up your brake lever!!!

Bottom Line:
Buy it it is nice. Durable and nice. Strong and nice. Light and nice.

Purchased At:   shokkwave notts

Similar Products Used:   XT

Bike Setup:   24/7 crosser 14", mx comps 2005, XT rear mech, sram x.9 shifter, hope minis, sun single track rims on DMR revolver hubs, DMR Moto tyres. FSA pig DH Pro

Submitted by Cookie_Monster a Racer from Toronto, ON, CANADA

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2006

Strengths:    price
crisp fast shifts
large thumb levers
looks

Weaknesses:    Cable stop screw cap protector disintegrated into mush the first time I tried removing it, and I spent 10 minutes fishing the pieces out of the shifter.
Don't shift with no cable like I did or you'll be taking the shifter apart to realign the gear indicator strip inside.

Bottom Line:
These shifters are way better than the Deores' they replaced. Shifts are faster and lock-on quicker, and they keep the handlebar less cluttered. Sometimes I think the larger higher thumblever is in the way of the smaller lower one, and it took awhile to get used to push-push instead of push/yank with index finger on the Deore. Great price for some stylin' shifters - get as part of a bike build or replacement and want to stick with $himan0 derailleurs. Just watch out for that cable stop screw.

Purchased At:   Pricepoint.com

Similar Products Used:   deore trigger shifters
old sram x-ray twisties

Bike Setup:   Kona Leroi/FD-M751 XT/RD-M751 SGS XT/SRAM PG-980 cassette/SRAM PC-971 chain

Submitted by Eric a Weekend Warrior from Gallup, NM

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2006

Strengths:    1) Precise, crisp shifts, every time
2) Beats XT/LX/Deore hands down
3) Price to quality ratio is amazing

Weaknesses:    To echo a previous reviewer: Wish I had bought them sooner

Bottom Line:
SRAM has absolutely eaten Shimano's lunch with this one. I'll never go back to Shimano triggers becasue SRAMs action is so much more crisp (not that mushy soft vague feel of rapidfire). You can really dump the gears in a hurry, too. You'll be amazed how fast you get used to "thumb-thumb" shifting. It's just a better product, hands down. Try it.

Favorite Trail:   Any ride beats working...

Similar Products Used:   XT, LX, and Deore (to be fair, I have not spent any serious time with XTR)

Bike Setup:   2003 Sugar+ (Fox F100X/King headset/Deus XC cranks/SRAM 990 cassette/Avid SD-7s/Nevegal 2.1s)

Submitted by Chris a Weekend Warrior from San Francisco

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2006

Strengths:    Aluminum arm. Push-Push shifting.

Weaknesses:    Not as precise as XT Shifters.

Bottom Line:
Overall I like these a lot better than the XTs I had on my bike. I love the stiffness and smoothness of the aluminum shift lever, and the fact that I can shift with just my thumbs. Plus, the long arms on these mean that I can easily shift down 4-5 gears at once.

The one place I would say XT's are better is in the precision of the indexing. With the XT's I could just push till it clicked and I was sure that the rear derailleur was in the right gear. With these, I have to push slightly past the indexing and hold the lever there just a fraction of a second on a few of the gears before I take my thumb off. And yes, the barrel adjuster is set properly and the cassette and chain are new. May just be that the rest of the drivetrain is Shimano.

But the feel, price, and durability of these make them much better than the Shimano shifters.

Favorite Trail:   Corte Madera

Similar Products Used:   XT and LX trigger shifters, Attack grip shifters.

Submitted by peter a Cross Country Rider from carlsbad, ca, US of A

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2006

Strengths:    easy to install, instantly better shifting quality, braking and shifting at the same time!!! intuitive design.

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
one of the best moves ever. I don't mind my XT deraileurs, so I got the Rocket triggers instead of the X series. SWEET! Soooooo easy to use and very positive shifts. Set them up in my condo, went out for a ride and they were flawless. And they come with the cables already attached, so all you have to do is bolt on and thread the cables! Read all the great things about SRAM and now I am a believer too. Cheap price, good shifting and a piece of cake to install= 5 nuclear powered chili's!

Favorite Trail:   anything with dirt

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   LX/XT

Bike Setup:   Superlight w/ various stuff

Submitted by Andrew a Weekend Warrior from Detroit, MI USA

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2006

Strengths:    Durable, small and light, work great

Weaknesses:    No real ones as of yet (Possibly the teflon cables losing their coating over time?), aside from the shifting seems almost too light so you can sometimes 'overshoot' on your shifts until you get used to them.

Bottom Line:
These shifters are a big step up from the Shimano Deores that replaced them. I ordered them after trying out the SRAM X-9 shifters on a friend's bike because I didn't want to switch to a SRAM Rear derailleur (I don't like how much they stick out compared to other Derailleurs.) Originally a worry was whether they would have the same amount of throw as the X series, but indeed I can still dump 5 gears worth of cable as long as the shift lever is angled properly. In short these are great shifters and if you like the feel are a great buy. I know a lot of people who don't like the 'thumbshift,' if you're one of them these aren't for you.

Favorite Trail:   Treefarm

Similar Products Used:   Shimano Deore Shift levers

Bike Setup:   Specialized 2005 Hardrock Pro with LX Cranks & Rear Derailleur, Rocket Trigger shifters

Submitted by Doug Houston a Cross Country Rider from Auburn, Ca, Placer

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2006

Strengths:    Light for the $$ and although I have only ridden three times with these shifters seem durable.

Weaknesses:    Takes some getting used to " thumbs only" gig.

Bottom Line:
So far, so good. Deliberated hard over this and have been very pleased, very responsive and they look kind of neat too.

Favorite Trail:   Foresthill Divide

Purchased At:   Auburn Bike Works

Similar Products Used:   Shimano Deore

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Prophet, with many upgrades.

Submitted by Chest Rockwell a Cross Country Rider from Chicago, IL

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2005

Strengths:    - Easy installation
- Teflon coated cables included
- Rapid shift response

Weaknesses:    None encountered as of yet other than getting used to different actuation from Shimano.

Bottom Line:
Although I have only used them once, I find these shifters to be supremely responsive and I could not be happier with them. The shifting is much more crisp than my old XT shifters.

Favorite Trail:   Palos

Purchased At:   PricePoint.com

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT

Bike Setup:   '01 C'dale Jekyll with Float RC upgrade shock. LX/XT F/R. Thomson setback seatpost. Panaracer Fire Pro XC tires. Magura Clara brakes.

Submitted by Biscuit Pants a Cross Country Rider from ATL

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2005

Strengths:    Great positive and negative shifts,smooth action.

Weaknesses:    After two rides,the thumb shift actuator broke off of the pod. It's plastic and not renforced.I'm generally hard on equipment,being a cylesdale,but this is a case of shoddy workmanship.It blows that I bought the product online and have to jump though hoops to return them.

Bottom Line:
I read the reviews,bought the product,installed it and it broke.I will have to buy XT shifters again because of all the downtime to return them,I hate to miss rides.

Favorite Trail:   Bull Mountain,Tsali,Chicopee Woods

Purchased At:   Triangle

Similar Products Used:   XT,XTR

Bike Setup:   Giant NRS 1 Air, RhinoLites, Panaracer,SID, XT Front and Rear

Submitted by Sue Khang a Weekend Warrior from Sacramento

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2004

Strengths:    Clean design & smooth shifts

Bottom Line:
These shifters are smooth! I believe the rating and value of any shifter is the smoothness of shifting and the instinctive ease of use. Nothing I've used before shifts as quickly or smoothly. I would prefer the X.O but I didn't see a need to swap out the XTR.

I highly recommend these to anyone who prefers grip shifters.

Favorite Trail:   Salmon Falls

Similar Products Used:   Shimano trigger shifters, SRAM grip shifters

Bike Setup:   Shimano XTR Derailleur

Submitted by Irena a Weekend Warrior from Riga, Latvia

Date Reviewed: November 30, 2004

Strengths:    Convenient, only thumb shifting, stiff, Al push lever and body, come with teflon-coated cables, integrated gear display etc.
Much cheaper than Shimano.

Weaknesses:    Had to disassemble once to improve correct gear displaying (there is some strip with small gaps correponding each gear position and somehow it went off the right way but it was only once at the beginning). Took the opportunity to watch inside and learn how exactly the impulse technology works.
As I use the reverse derailleur (XTR), the gear display is a bit wrong but it doesn't really matter. I hope, Sram will notice, Shimano best derailleurs (which correspond the Rocket level) now come only reverse and will correct this failure.

Bottom Line:
I have tried those because I didn't like the new Dual-Control shifters from Shimano. Perhaps, my hands were too small for them, but Srams fit perfectly. One of the main strengths of the Dual-Control - possibility to shift while braking - is present with Sram triggers and that fixed my choice. I was surprised how convenient was the shifting with only the thumb.
And I am sure these works better with reverse derailleur. It is more convenient to push the tensioner lever to shift up to smaller cogs and release lever - to shift down to larger cogs. With Shimano old RapidFire shifters it was not so convenient (when I switched to reverse derailleur) and that is another point to choose the Sram. So, I have find the best cobination for me - Sram trigger shifters + Shimano reverse rear derailleur. Try it!

Purchased At:   aebike.com