Home | Reviews | Shifter | SRAM

SRAM MRX Shifter

2.11/5 (9 Reviews)
Weight : 101 g MSRP : $14.99

The SRAM MRX Comp is a gripTwist shifterThat is compatible withShimano rear derailleurs. Compatible withShimano rear derailleurs Shifter Front Derailleur Compatiblity: MountainTriple(friction or index) Weight(claimed): 51 g Drivetrain Spacing: 6, 7 or 8-Speed

Submitted by American Lesion a Cross Country Rider from Oil City, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2003

Strengths:    Hey, it shifts, its cheap

Weaknesses:    Vague adjustment.

Bottom Line:
Despite what these other alleged purists have to say, these things do work, are reliable (I haven't broken an MRX shifter since '96, and I have three different MRX shifters (all 7-speed) on three bikes with different set ups. I ride, too...every darn day. I DO, however take care of my equipment, and generally don't expose any of my equipment to the ignorant abuse that these posuers obviously do theirs. These shifters are FINE for anything but competition. I have been riding bicycles (in competition and otherwise) for 15 years or more now, and I know a decent component when I see it. I REALLY know it when I use it. These things MAY be a bit vulnerable to crashes, as they are 100% plastic, but they are cheap enough that they can be readily replaced. Let me state this: SRAM makes NO junk, and without them we would be at the mercy of Shimano's proprietary cluches. These are great for entry-level cyclists, crusisers, kids, old grannies, and health-cycling enthusiasts. Maybe this site needs a child-filter to prevent little destructive boys from posting on it.

Favorite Trail:   Sandy Creek, Allgheny, and Oil Creek Trails

Purchased At:   Various, also on bike

Similar Products Used:   Rapidfire, Accushift, older Gripshift (with the foamy covers) Deore XT to Ultegra, Exage to XCE 4050

Bike Setup:   I have this on three bikes...one steel with Exage Trail 350, one aluminum with Acera -X, and one FS with Deore XT/Deore mix

Submitted by johnny Boczar a Cross Country Rider from Galati Gl Romania

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2003

Strengths:    None at all

Weaknesses:    Everithing this shifters are the worst shifters that I've used I know SRAM and their products but this ones are not SRAM's. They are extremly fragile, difficult to mount the cable and they have a poor shifting

Bottom Line:
This shifters are'n good at all, why did SRAM produce this don't buy this shifters you'll get mad

Similar Products Used:   Shimano Deore XT extremly superior

Bike Setup:   LX and Alivio

Submitted by Marc a Weekend Warrior from Glendale

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2002

Strengths:    None -- I guess cheap

Weaknesses:    Everything you can imagine... poorly constructed, feel apart after 6 months of use. Never worked properly even after 4 visits to the bike shop. Was always missing changes between gears.

Bottom Line:
Never buy this product again!

Favorite Trail:   Sunshine - Verdugo Mts.

Purchased At:   Sports Chalet

Submitted by James Mango a Racer from Newark

Date Reviewed: December 17, 2001

Strengths:    ummm? hmmmmm? well? uggghhh? (scratching head)It aaaa? It.... It is made by Sram... I think?

Weaknesses:    This whole thing is a weakness! First off it fell apart before I even atatched it to the bicycle and after I put it back together and installed it on the bike I had the Pro's at RIP YOU OFF BIKES adjust them. These things were hard to shift and inacuracte. I always had to look down and see what the hell this crap was doing. It clicked more times than a Timex. uugghh? why? why did you make this crap sram! you know this is junk!!! was this thing a joke? It is never acurate! the gears are always off. I was in 7th gear and the shifter said 6th! anyway Istripped my 7speed junk off my bike im going to full 8speed race style ill be using the full 9.0 Sram setup!! hopefully I wont be disapointed

Bottom Line:
Dont buy this!! at all!!! and if your on a budget and need grip shift your better walking your bike!! this crap sucks it's horrible!1 LISTEN TO ME DONT BUY IT!!!

I rate this thing horrible~~

Favorite Trail:   rockyhills

Purchased At:   local rip you off shoppe

Similar Products Used:   other Sram crap that cracked in the middle of a Jump!! Thanks best crash of my life!1 I think that was an MRX shifter too?

Bike Setup:   I dont even know I have so many parts on her....

Submitted by Jay Speed from Kansas

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2001

Strengths:    It's A grip shift I'll give it that!

Weaknesses:    the whole thing!! Shifting is very difficult and empercise. I defenatly gotta take this crap back! it sucks. It works half the time and the wire casing is starting to slip out.

Bottom Line:
I've had allot of problems with this thing considering that I've only had it put on for about a week now. It sucks so bad please look for other shifters sram should be ashamed of themselves!! Overall this product is HORRIBLE!!! it should be recalled it's so bad!! I give it 1 flamming monkey turd to symbolize just how bad this thing sucks!!

Favorite Trail:   The street

Similar Products Used:   Some other Sram grip shift plasic crap that busted right open!!

Bike Setup:   Custom built super bike

Submitted by Sam a Downhiller from Surrey

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2001

Strengths:    Urm... hmm.... well, let me... hmm... it DOES shift... sometimes and its like a warning to anyone who is in your way but cant see or hear you!

Weaknesses:    Too many. Its ok but for trials, it shifts when you jump!!! Came outta casing altho it just needs slipping back in now and then. bolts bugger up your bars... my poor planet x's!

Bottom Line:
Only buy it if you got £5 to spare and need a shifter BADDD!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   Farnham Sports cntr

Purchased At:   With bike

Similar Products Used:   Mega range (shimano), fireshifters and SIS levers oh and jelly works as good as this does.

Bike Setup:   Trials Saracen with TOP componants thanx

Submitted by Joe (Radar) a Racer from Barberton, OH

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2001

Strengths:    Works, good for those older bikes with 7spd, lighter than rapidfire.

Weaknesses:    Not great construction, grip isn't tacky enough for wet conditions

Bottom Line:
I used these when I raced in the beginner class. The bike I used then is now my beater bike, but with almost 2000 miles on the shifters they still work decent. The only real problem is that the grip part of it isn't as aggressive as their more expensive models (9.0) so it's pretty hard to shift it when you have sweaty hands (if you ride with no gloves) or when it's wet outside (even if you wear gloves). Otherwise, the quality and weight is good for a $30 shifter, and it's one of your only choices if you ride with 7spd. So go get it.

Radar MCM #35

Favorite Trail:   Vulture's Knob

Purchased At:   Eddy's Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Shimano Deore rapid fire (what came on my new bike)

Bike Setup:   Use these on my beater bike with a Acera rear derailleur

Submitted by scott michaels a Weekend Warrior from sherman oaks

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2000

Strengths:    works ok, when it works

Weaknesses:    poorly constructed, front derailer side seperated out of its little housing after 1 week, got it fixed...and it did it again, i think it's gonna see the trash can very soon...it came stock on a specialized hardrock...also when going up hill, i have a tendancy to shift gears accidentaly, that prob would be solved with rapid fires.

Bottom Line:
these things are garbage after a few weeks, i am going to upgrade to some xt or xtr rapid fires. screw this gripshift crap. i don't like it

Favorite Trail:   anything