Home | Reviews | Shifter | SRAM

Indicator:: N/A
Materials:: Alloy body with Carbon Fiber upper cover, Stainless steel hardware
Pull Lever:: Alloy
Compatibility:: SRAM 1:1 rear derailleurs, SRAM or Shimano® front deraillers
Other:: Teflon coated cables, On the Bar Cable Change.

Submitted by kiwijames a Racer from Lafayette, CA

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2008

Strengths:    Only compatible shifter for XO Rear D. Light weight and tucks in neatly with the Juicy Brake levers.

Weaknesses:    Durability, shift stroke travel and the push-push only shift. No gear window..as if you really need one.

Bottom Line:
Was OEM on my 08 SC Blur LT2 with SRAM build kit.
I gutted the rear shifter over a 2 ride period (bike is less than a month old and less than 8 rides total). First ride to shifter oblivion, I lost the 9th gear/lowest on a technical trail that warranted a last second shift, and ended up with two full strokes to get 8th, 2nd ride, lost 8th and 7th and ended up with two strokes to get 6th, which is now feathering under tension. There's no way of replacing the teeth, that I just know are slowly getting edged/chipped on the catch/ratchet device. By no means did I abuse this part as it's the same shifts I've done in the same place with my prior XT/XTRs on my Scott Spark w/o a blink.
Having only a Push-Push shift really sucks if you've gotten used to the rapid fire dual direction triggers from a Shimano shifter.
I have gone full SRAM on my MTB and Road Bike (SRAM RED) and hope that SRAM will stand behind the product, or I've made a grave mistake in specs.
Will be sending it back for warranty.

Favorite Trail:   Anything in Joaquin Miller Park

Purchased At:   Colorado Cyclist

Similar Products Used:   More than 15yrs of XT and XTR

Bike Setup:   SC Blur LT2, SRAM XO/Juicy Carbon, Talas, rp23, Race Face, Easton Havocs, Kenda Nevegals, FSA K Force bars, Joplin remote.

Submitted by Glenn a Weekend Warrior from Queen Creek, AZ, USA

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2008

Strengths:    Quick, positive, precise shifts. Stays adjusted without always fine tuning.

Weaknesses:    Push-push shifting/ergonomics, clunky sounding shifts.

Bottom Line:
I always liked my rapidfire shimano shifters and I had been using them for years. These came on my Stumpjumper. I can't say I'm as impressed as I thought I'd be with all the hype around them. They sound clunky and are noisy. On a positive note they haven't needed adjustment nearly as much as the old Shimano's. I got them dialed in and they've stayed in adjustment ever since. I've gotten used to the clunky sounding shifting compared to the Shimano's but the push-push shifting I could do without. I often accidently upshift 2 or 3 gears at a time when riding over choppy or rocky terrain while only trying to upshift once. This is because I have to rotate my wrist and push my thumb all the way forward to engage the upshift lever. It helped rotating the shifters up toward the rear but I can't get the upshift lever to a position I like without having the downshift lever too vertical.

Favorite Trail:   Hawes

Purchased At:   Came with bike

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT and LX.

Bike Setup:   2007 Stumpjumper FSR Pro. Mostly stock.

Submitted by John a Racer from Greenwood, IN

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2008

Strengths:    1:1 Actuation, Adjustable lever position, Looks, Shifting, Weight

Weaknesses:    None so Far

Bottom Line:
Sweet shifters that feel great and shift incredibly fast. Some of the early models had issues, but my 2007's have proved to be flawless. It would cool if Sram could change the down shift lever slightly so if could be used easier with my pointer finger, but this is a personal thing. Still an Awesome product!

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT, XTR, Sram X.7, X.9

Bike Setup:   Kona Kula Supreme, Fox F100 RLC, Sram X.0, Hayes Disc, Industry Nine Ultralight

Submitted by Dave a Downhiller from NS Canada

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2008

Strengths:    Everything

Weaknesses:    None......well......taking the cover off to change a cable.I can live with it

Bottom Line:
These shifters along with my XO RD on my Faith , and X9 RD on my HT have worked flawlessly for years. I ride trail, big freeride, tech freeride and race DH. Basically any punishment that can be given has been and these shifters have not missed a beat. People complaining about thumb thumb, need to restrain themselves untill they use the product for more then a month. When you've riding shimano for years it takes some time to adjust to it. Its worth it though. Thumb thumb lets you down shift while your braking, which is great for racing and tech riding. Cheers SRAM and keep it comming.

Similar Products Used:   X9, LX, XT

Bike Setup:   Custom built Giant Faith, and HT

Submitted by Daniel a Cross Country Rider from Greensboro

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2008

Strengths:    Shifting action, ability to adjust the top paddle, quality

Bottom Line:
I actually chose these shifters after using an XTR shifter on a demo bike in Crested Butte. I have used twist shift for 10 years because I was not happy with the older shimano shifters, too much travel to shift. I was impressed with the XTR shifting action but had a XO derailleur, not compatible. I think the XO derailleur is superior to XTR. So i went with the Sram XO shifter. The shifting action is spot on. it is like a short throw shifter in a sports car. The thumb thumb is not as good at thumb finger but it took me only one ride to get the hang of them. I adjusted the top paddle to right where I needed it. I recommend you pay a little extra for the XO than the X9 if you have the means. Adjusting he paddle made it a lot easier to use.

Similar Products Used:   Grip shift, XT,XTR

Bike Setup:   X.O Rear derailleur, XTR cranks, XTR cassette

Submitted by Brad Confer a Weekend Warrior from Ga

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2008

Strengths:    smooth as butter, up shifts like lightning, doesn't make a peep

Weaknesses:    ergonomics

Bottom Line:
I posted a review earlier that dissapeared, (maybe I let a cuss word slip through or something)that basically said that thumb thumb is stupid. I just found out that thumb finger is locked up via patent for shimano and oh well. I still think that thumb finger is superior but after another ride I'll say that thumb thumb is sufficient and the shifting precision of the whole caboodle is nice. Oh, and you can't hear anything at all coming from my drivetrain!! I'm telling you it is eerily quiet...except for the fact that you will need a 24 or 26 tooth small chain ring to run the x9 front derailleur without rubbing the chain. Anyhow, I was using 12 year old LX that I borrowed from a buddy cause I trashed my shifters and I'll say that even though these work great...don't replace what you have unless it is trashed, cause it's not THAT much better. But hey, I can't ride as fast as my bike anyway. Actually, if I haven't had any ghost shifts by next month...I'll change my answer.

Favorite Trail:   dauset, conyers, old yellow river

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   12 year old xt, alivio, those thumb shifters (admit it, that's all you need) and some grip shift jabijabs.

Bike Setup:   ventana elsalt, marzocchi on the front, fox on the back, cane creek on the ground, well... wtb on the ground

Submitted by Brad Confer a Weekend Warrior from Peachtree City, Ga. U.S.

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2008

Strengths:    tell you later

Weaknesses:    ergonomics

Bottom Line:
Why people are saying that they purchased these for 150 and think the price is a weak point...I can't guess. Where the heck are you going to get xtr for that? Maybe blowout xt at 80 bucks but not xtr. Next, thumb thumb just sucks. After reading some reviews I finally figured out why downhill guys like it but for cross country? Nyet. People bash shimano for letting marketing drive their product design and yes, they've had some crap lately, but how is thumb thumb any different? Thumb finger just works better, you don't even have to move your hand! And please tell me when the last time was that you had to break AND shift up on a cross country trail! Anyhow, I bought these cause my old xt was on the brink and I'd heard so much about the precise shifting of these sram fellas and I just couldn't believe that twisting my wrist (sram grip shift) was a good idea when riding over roots and rocks. Turns out that's exactly what you have to do with their trigger shifters. I just hope these win me over, otherwise there's gonna be some mint x0 shifters on ebay. I only have one ride on these so I'll post again when I get more time on them. Thumb thumb. Why sram why? I'm going with 4 chilis but only cause I'm trying not to influence the rating till I get some more rides in.

Favorite Trail:   Conyers/Pre-destruction Yellow River/ Daused/ Hunter's Creek (B-Lo)

Similar Products Used:   xt

Bike Setup:   Ventana El Salt, fsa mega exo crank, marzocchi fork, fox talas rear shock, cane creek aero heat wheels, x0 shifters, x9 derailleur front and back, speed dial 7 brakes

Submitted by font9a ninea a Cross Country Rider from austin

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2007

Strengths:    ultra precision

Bottom Line:
it's a preference thing. a religious war.

I like the XO shifters better than anything XTR has put out since 2001. I used to have to ebay all my XTR stuff just to get it vintage 2001... I test rode an 07 XTR Ibis Mojo and the differences between the drivetrains are significant. The new XTR is like a Lexus -- the New XO is like BMW.

XTR seems supple and smooth, but with virtually no user feedback. The XO is like a hand-tooled Austrian sniper rifle with precision and feedback galore. I like that Austrian feeling better.

Time will tell if SRAM is committed to winning the arms race. So far, I am overwhelmed by their sheer ability to slash through the problems of the past and get a shifting system this deluxe to the public. Shimano has a catch-up game to do.

Favorite Trail:   401, Dr's Park, Psychobilly Freakout

Purchased At:   wrence science

Similar Products Used:   XTR from 1990 to 2006. Even the top mounted ones. Campy, DurArce

Bike Setup:   maverick durance, duc32, sram XO shifters and rear der. XTR cassette; avid juicy ultimates; 07 XTR front triples.

Submitted by brobbo a Weekend Warrior from Toronto

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2007

Strengths:    Looks, shifting is bang on. Adjstment is good

Weaknesses:    The throw on the Left side is too long. Seems like you have to crank your wrist as well as your thumb when you need to go up to the next chain ring.

Bottom Line:
The shifting on this is great. It almost seems like it slams into the next gear with authority. Which sounds bad, but it lets me know what the derailleur is doing. Also has yet to ghost shift once (10 rides so far). Its precise and snaps it into the next gear every time.
The Push to release (vs. pull trigger on the XT's) takes getting used to. Still not sure if I prefer it.
The "throw" action for the chain rings is too much IMO. The 1:1 ratio shows its limitation here. So to move up the chain rings you have to push that leaver far.

Similar Products Used:   XT's

Bike Setup:   Scott MC-10 - came with the bike

Submitted by Scott a Weekend Warrior from NJ

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2007

Strengths:    Everything

Weaknesses:    Nada

Bottom Line:
I changed all my Shimano XTR components over to SRAM this past winter. I couldnt be happier. No more ghost shifting, precise, accurate shifts. Lightweight, excellent quality. Couldnt of been more happy with this setup now.

Purchased At:   Blue Sky Cycling

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XTR

Bike Setup:   Cannondale

Submitted by andre from ind

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2007

Strengths:    Shifting precision
Brushed alu

Weaknesses:    Cosmetically not as fine as Shimano XTR
Price
Gear indicator (sometimes)

Bottom Line:
Hav not put much mileage on it, but so far so good.
Shifting is very mechanical & precise.
As for my other SRAM, needed to adjust it once the cable bedded in. But that's the only adjustment you need.
Price is insane. The equally fine build (perhaps smoother finished) XTR is far cheaper, but a Shimano RD on my bike would bang my chainstay on rough terrain @ speed.
This is definitely not for leisure riding. The zero loss tech is abit too sensitive for leisure riding, and the absence of gear indicator assure you that your gear selection skill is intermediate & above.
Shimano makes excellent components, but I prefer SRAM for shifter (not the gripshift, though) & rear derailleur.

Similar Products Used:   SRAM X.9 (05), Shimano LX, Shimano XT, SRAM X.0 GS

Bike Setup:   A trail bike from Tempe, Arizona

Submitted by Jeremy Bryan a Weekend Warrior from Black Hawk SD, USA

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2007

Strengths:    Wicked cool looks, crisp precise shifting, infinate adjustability.

Weaknesses:    None so far unless you count the price

Bottom Line:
Yeah, these are overkill for my bike. I don't care. I ride the snot out of it and want the best and don't have $4K to spend on a bike.

Put these on recently after many months of research and I'm not disappointed. They were easy to install and even easier to adjust. The shifting is crisp and smooth and oh yeah, did I mention the looks? WOW! They're eye catchers!

I don't race or ride "professionally" but I put about 70 miles/week on my bike in fair weather and I'm pleased as punch with these things. The shifting, even under load, is leaps and bounds better than my old Shimanos.

Those of you having shifting problems must have adjustment problems because I don't experience any. Granted the twistie shifter for the front derailleur is the bomb, but the the trigger is adequate. For changing gears in the rear the triggers are the way to go in my opinion.

I'm gonna write another review after I beat the snot out of these things for a few months. Hopefully I'll still be as happy as I am now!

Favorite Trail:   anywhere

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   older Sram twisties (liked em), Shimano triggers (ok when new but didn't last long)

Bike Setup:   Specialized Hardrock (2000) w/Truvativ 3.3 Team cranks, Avid SD5 brakes and levers, XO rear derailleur, XO carbon trigger shifters, XT Cassette, PC-991 chain, Mavic wheels with Deore hubs, Specialized Fast Trak Pro tires.

Submitted by R Xavier a Weekend Warrior from Portland

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2007

Strengths:    1 to 1 ratio

Weaknesses:    poor cable installation, durability

Bottom Line:
I set up a brand new Turner 5 Spot frame with all SRAM components; 2005 XO trigger shifters and rear derailleur as well as new gen front derailleur. I spent a lot of coin on this stuff and I really wanted it to work. The 1 to 1 shifting ratio was nice....when the stuff worked. I had too many issues with the trigger shifters especially the front. Shifting went from bad to worse and the entire system was set up by a professional mechanic and maintained on a regular basis. The shifters finally crapped out on the trail and I replaced it with XTR M952 triggers and rear derailleur. I'm not a huge fan of Shimano either but at least the stuff works. My biggest beef with XO is that it just doesn't seem to be designed for durability and why the hell do you have to take the covers off the shifters to reoplace a cable. On XTR you simply take out they nylon screw and thread a cable in. Pretty simple.

Perhaps I should have tried X9 instead...I figured the new XO stuff would be state of the art. Wrong. If you are an occasional rider or you aren't hard on your gear or don't ride rough trails you may have better luck. I'm not impressed.

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   Universal Cycles

Similar Products Used:   XTR, XT

Bike Setup:   Turner 5 Spot

Submitted by Glynn Preston a Weekend Warrior from England uk

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2007

Strengths:    Super crisp shifting, Sweet looks,Light

Weaknesses:    Pricey if purchased retail

Bottom Line:
Sram shift so much better than Shimano in my oppinion & how any of these reviews can say they have poor or delayed shifting is beyond me (seems to me some people need to learn how to set there bikes up).
Have had no probs with these whatsoever so far,but did find my X9 shifters struggled to return the levers when they got a bit old,(a complete strip & rebuild did sort this though-if you have the bottle to try it).
So all round a great product...never goin back to shimano!

Purchased At:   EBAY