Home | Reviews | Shifter | SRAM

SRAM 2002 Rocket™ Shorty shifter Shifter

4.43/5 (23 Reviews)
Weight : N/A

• Same specs as Rocket™ Twist Shifter in new "Shorty" length
  • Standard grip length cover, ergonomic hex profile: shifting cover
  • 8- and 9-speed compatible

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Jesse a Cross Country Rider from Logan, Utah

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2006

Strengths:    These have been a good set of shifters. Very clean shifting, I really like the micro adjust on the front shifter it makes for a cleaner ride if you are not set up precisely.

Weaknesses:    I would have to agree that they seem a little fragile around the gear indicators. They are also a little smaller than most grip shifters and can be a little awkward to get used if you have had a different model.

Bottom Line:
    I would definantly give these another go if they broke I have been very impressed with the shift quality. I would caution against buying if you have huge hands unless you are able to try them out before purchase. I might also look at a different model if you tend to crash tons. I give them a solid recommended to anyone that likes grip shifts and has a shimano rear derailleur.

Favorite Trail:   any

Similar Products Used:   xt, deore, lx, older grip shifts

Bike Setup:   Bontrager Ti, xt/xtr, cane creek team ti wheels, tubeless wtb weirwolf tires, titec ithys gove seat(i love this seat)

Submitted by Scott a Weekend Warrior from Dalls, Texas, Collin

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2006

Strengths:    Very smooth shifting. Much easier to shift than shimano "easy fire" shifters.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
    Great product for a cheap price. My bike came with Acera shifters & an Acera front/Alivio rear der. The bike shifted well on pavement but shifts were very rough on the trails. Shimano has abandoned building quality 8 speed shifters. SRAM continues with Attack/Rocket for shimano components & they still carry x9 & x7 in 8 speed. I really love the grip shifts. They are very smooth & light & really simplify your cockpit. I'm fairly new to riding & these grip shifts are perfect. I'll make sure all my future bikes have them.

Purchased At:   air bomb

Bike Setup:   HardRock Comp Disc, XT front & rear der, rocket grip shifts

Submitted by Tim D. a Cross Country Rider from Winnipeg, Manitoba,Canada

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2005

Strengths:    Better shifting mechanism with Shimano derailleurs than the other Sram grip shifters.

Weaknesses:    Hard to get replacement parts

Bottom Line:
    A great set of shifters, as long as you don't need a replacement part.I needed a new rubber grip. Had no problem with parts for the Sram X-rays I used to use. BUT this set is impossible. I contacted Sram (who took along time to get back to me).They said I could get that part BUT had to be through a Sram dealer in my area. Contacted my bike shop which is a Sram dealer, who contacted Sram and got the reply, can't get that part, have to buy a whole new shifter. This grip is glued on but on the Sram X-rays it wasn't. My bike shop further told me, Sram has been hard to deal with and getting parts from them has been next to impossible.
    For the first time in 10 years, it looks like Sram won't be the shifter of choice on my mtn. bike. This shifter gets a high overall rating, because it's good. But a low value rating, because if anything goes wrong with it, you're out of luck.

Favorite Trail:   Cable-Hayward Wisconsin

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Sram X-ray

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mtn. Vertex T.O., XTR derailleurs, Raceface cranks,bars & headset, Shimano 737 pedals, Noleen forks, White Industry hubs/mavic rims,magura hydraulic brakes,Selle Italia Ti saddle.

Submitted by John Doe a Cross Country Rider from Atlanta, GA

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2005

Strengths:    Easy to install, ease of use

Weaknesses:    Grips are a little bulky (and I have big hands)

Bottom Line:
    The installation was easy except getting off my old grips. It took me maybe one ride to get used to them but after that everything works very smooth. Shifting for the FD is superior to Shimano. There is no arguing about it. For the RD it's about the same, but you can shift faster from low to high. All in all, I am very happy with them and will probably install them on my other bike as well.

Favorite Trail:   Yellow River

Purchased At:   cambriabike

Similar Products Used:   Shimano LX and STX-RC (or so)

Bike Setup:   old GT hardtail with RS Indy fork, LX FD and STX RD

Submitted by John Brown a Weekend Warrior from Sunnyvale, CA

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2005

Strengths:    Shifting, simplicity, accuracy.

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
    Excellent value on ebay. probably worth retail. Easy to install, easy to adjust, fast accurate shifting with mid-level components. Blows away Deore thumb jackers.

Favorite Trail:   Long Ridge

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Deore

Bike Setup:   GF hardtail, Deore mechanics.

Submitted by Joel a Weekend Warrior from SoCal

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2005

Strengths:    Light, simple, indexing, cheaper than Rapid-fire. Allows me to still use my XTR rear derailluer.

Weaknesses:    When running a standard 580mm flat bar, with barends, you'll end up running the brake levers on a pretty narrow stance. Going to a riser/wider bar, will lessen this.
    Not that I've ever had a problem, but a more aggressive grip pattern would be a good idea when the going gets wet and muddy.
    I'm dreamin' here, but I would like to see a friction adjustment on the shifting, like the old Sach's wavy's...

Bottom Line:
    This is a apples and oranges comparison, because some folks like'm, some folks hate'm. I personally prefer the lighter weight, and index capability on the front shifting. I also like the ability to go from one side of the cassette, to the other (when cresting hills) in one movement...much faster than click-click-click-click, etc...of the rapidfire's.
    It's a matter of asthetics, but I prefer the smoother lines of the grip-shift, over the bulky, under-bar pods of the rapidfires.
    Durability seems to be very good, as I've yard-sale'd many times in the past two years, and haven't broken them yet...
    A very good product! I'm giving a 5 flamer for the value over Shimano's pods, with a 4 flamer overall!

Favorite Trail:   Cannell Plunge

Similar Products Used:   Sach's grip-shifters, XT pods, LX rapid-fire, Old-school top-thumb shifters (back in the 80's).

Bike Setup:   Kona Kula Deluxe: XTR, SID, Avid mech discs, blah, blah...
    K2 Razorback SL: XT, Fox/Fox, Hayes hyd discs, blah, blah...

Submitted by jam a Cross Country Rider from sydney & UK

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2004

Strengths:    Superfast gear changes, light weight, looks neat on bars!

Weaknesses:    so sensitive, can accidentally overshift.

Bottom Line:
    Very happy with these shifters. Changed from Shimano Dual action shifters to these- much prefer the twist action. Was also worried about hitting a branch with the shimano levers and trashing a $300 lever! I use these in combination with Xt hydraulic levers & they feel fine. Only thing to note- when paired with a newer XTR rear der the right grip changes gear by rotating in the opposite direction to the older set up, like on my old bike (XT rear der & SRT800s). Consequently I have to remember which bike I'm on or I change up when I want to change down!

Purchased At:   jenson usa

Similar Products Used:   old gripshift SRT 800

Bike Setup:   SC Blur, XTR & SRAM

Submitted by Randall a Cross Country Rider from Blacksburg, VA, USA

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2004

Strengths:    They work great.

Weaknesses:    No weaknesses found in two years of riding.

Bottom Line:
    If you want to ues twisties but don't want to convert your entire drivetrain to Sram use these. They work, bottom line. Maybe one day shimano will realize that indexed front shifters are not the way to go, although I doubt it. Also these let you use whatever brake lever you want, something other companies are trying to phase out. Personally, I like the freedom of choice.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano rapid fire

Submitted by Tommi Bass a Cross Country Rider from U.K

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2003

Strengths:    Looks,easy to slap on the steed,its cheap!

Weaknesses:    none so far!

Bottom Line:
    The bottom line is that i was plesantly suprised about this product, it looks the dogs and it shifts profoundly well. It took about five mins to set up(freash out of the box)it was a little squirly with the shifts for the first couple of days, these need time to bed in etc. Now it works like a dream.....which is nice!

Favorite Trail:   the ones with joggers on

Purchased At:   merlin cycles (uk)

Similar Products Used:   deore/lx/xt rapid fire, the old skool thumb shifters (xt)these are the daddy!

Bike Setup:   Merlin 7005 xc frame,with loads of ill kit!

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider from Jersey

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2003

Strengths:    So intuitive it's scary.
    Shift as many cogs as you want NOW.

Weaknesses:    ?

Bottom Line:
    I never loved Rapid-Fired (wife does, though). I instantly loved my SRT-600s (7 and 8 speed). These Rockets seem to shift even more positively. I rarely think about shifting - it just seems to happen. I hope they hold up as well as previous Grip Shift products I've used.

Purchased At:   jenson

Similar Products Used:   SRT-600, Rapid-Fire

Bike Setup:   Cove Stiffee, Manitou Black Elite, Shimano XT, Sun Rhyno Lites, WTB MutanoRaptor 2.24s (The Tank).

Submitted by Perfy a Weekend Warrior from Paranaque

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2003

Strengths:    Micro Indexing, Looks, Indicators can be read easily.

Weaknesses:    the rubber on the shifter appears to wear out easily, grips that come with the shifters can't be secured well on the handlebar.

Bottom Line:
    Cool Product to consider when you have a shimano drivetrain.

Favorite Trail:   Munti, Mount Makiling

Purchased At:   Velo City

Similar Products Used:   Shimano rapidfires, thumbshifters

Bike Setup:   2003 Giant XTC team, Zoke 4-inch Coil fork, Avid BB Disc Brakes, etc etc

Submitted by Leotis Denetclaw a Weekend Warrior from Waterflow, NM, USA

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2003

Strengths:    Ease of use, durability, Looks, and fit

Weaknesses:    the only weakness I see is when I go to replace cables, sometimes it is difficult.

Bottom Line:
    These are the best shifters out there, I used to break shimano rapid fire shifters all time (wrecks, forceful shifting, etc.). With the rapid fire plus setup, it required alot of getting use to, they don't seem as secure as the sram. I love these shifters, they are second to none and are lighter, more durable, and cheaper than anything out there.

Favorite Trail:   Too Many to Note

Purchased At:   Cambria

Similar Products Used:   X-rays, shimano thumbshifters, and various sram & shimano shifters

Bike Setup:   Homegrown, XTR(brakes, derailluers, and cassette), Raceface (cranks & BB), Syncros(carbon post and cattlehead stem), Ringle(hubs and rims), Easton CT2 carbon bar, and Time pedals.

Submitted by nick a Racer from WA

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2002

Strengths:    Really excellent shifts, light, HEY SHIMANO: IT's GOOD TO BE ABLE TO TRIM THE FRONT DERAILLER. being able to trim the front derailer allows you to over shift during hard pedallng so you can get the chain to actually move to a different chainring. You cant do that with a shimano rapidfire, no matter how much you tune it.

Weaknesses:    i think that probably a full sram setup with a 1:1 ratio would be better because, in theory, the 1:2 ratio that shimano/rocket shifters uses is more suceptible to cable stretch and dirty cables. but sram, until its recent debut of the x.0 had never produced as good a derailler as shimano XTR. (x.0 is the first sram derailer with sealed pulleys) So i stuck with my XTR derailler and got the rockets. I think that the longer cable throw of the full sram setup would also result in fewer mis-shifts and over shifts, but with a little getting used to i dont tend to overshift, even with the short throw of the rockets.

Bottom Line:
    These shifters work exactly how they are supposed to. I have fine tuned my shifting to where it is "telepathic." You can get "telepathic" shifting with a lot of products out there (XT, XTR, and several higher-end SRAM shifters) but i like sram twist shifters, so i got them.
    I cant say anything about customer service, but the product i have on my bike right now works as well as i could expect.

Similar Products Used:   hmmmm, 7 speed gripshift, shimano deore (breaks easily), shimano XT, both 8 and 9 speed versions, sram 9.0 9 speed, old shimano stx-rc (worked very well for a budget group), old shimano deore xt 7 speed. also, a few different top mount shifters from when i was a lot younger. basically everything.

Bike Setup:   rocket shifters, XTR rear derailer, lx front derailler, xt cassette

Submitted by Tim a Cross Country Rider from Mission Viejo, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2002

Strengths:    Light weight, quick shifts, easy install and adjustments.

Weaknesses:    Very Fragile indicator lens, Poor customer service.

Bottom Line:
    Just an update on my prior review. Tried to get replacemnet parts for the Rocket shorty shifters. Went to SRAMs website and go correct part#. Contacted SRAM directly, they do not sell parts to consumers refered me to LBS. Contacted 3 LBS's they said that they havehad a VERY hard time ordering parts from SRAM directly and recommened that I contact one of SRAM listed distributors. I contacted 4 of their distributors they say they do not sell direct. I then contacted Jenson USA they said that I would need to deal with SRAM. Forget SRAM Rocket Shifters they are plastic junk! I've NEVER had this problem with Shimano components. Just had to contact their customer service, brought them the broken part (they're in Irvine, CA) and they gave me a replacement, NO HASLES, NO PROBLEM! I WILL NEVER BUILD ANOTHER BIKE WITH SRAM COMPONENTS (and I liked the PC99 Chain!) DUE TO VERY POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE!! I'm changing my rating. No one should have to suffer for SRAM poor quality! Do Not buy this product!

Purchased At:   Jenson USA