Home | Reviews | Shifter | SRAM

SRAM 2002 9.0™ Trigger Shifter Shifter

Weight : 270 grams/pr

• Impulse™ technology: release trigger pivots upward for an ergonomically superior motion, multiple access points allow for a variety of riding positions
  • Optimized design: few parts, competitive price, low maintenance
  • Maximized compatibility: integrates with many levers, fits many styles
  • Superior gear indication: large and easy to read from many angles, great looks
  • Detailed specifications: 8- and 9-speed options, indexing front shifters, 250g/pair (7.0), 270g/pair (9.0), 7.0 and 9.0 are ESP® compatible

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by T Berry a Cross Country Rider from Fort Mill SC

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2005

Strengths:    Light, easy to install. Works and shifts solid most of the time. Shifts easy, can use thumb or finger to shift down which is kewl.

Weaknesses:    For no reason at all, when I am shifting just great even after hard terrain, I go to shift and it can't grab the gears and I have to stop and fix. It either works or it doesn't... and when it doesn't it's fixable on the trail, but usually not a small treak. There is a reason that Microsoft is Microsoft and Shimano is Shimano. I won't replace for now, because to much $$$ involved. When climbing, keep bumping left shifter and throwing me into granny at the wrong time.

Bottom Line:
    Teh shifters are solid for the most part, but form no reason out of the blue, it goes nuts. I've broken a new chain 2 times in 4 rides... every other ride, the shifters will not grab the cog and nothing has changed. At least with Shimano, you can tweak on the go. No so with these. I'm not impressed. Would go back to Xt or even Deore if I had not put so much money in these... at least I can work though their problem son the fly. I have new chain and even changed chain lengths... no help.

Favorite Trail:   many

Purchased At:   BikeCambria

Similar Products Used:   XT,XTR,Avid

Bike Setup:   Iron Horse Xt,Xtr,SRAM9 Team Frame.

Submitted by Nick a Cross Country Rider from Surrey UK

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2001

Strengths:    Works well no problems so far,

Weaknesses:    Cables!!! Only very soft flexable cables will work (ie the ones that came with the shifter)

Bottom Line:
    I tried to put "flak jackets" on at first, not a hope far too stiff to thread into the shifter and there is no way to open them up to help. Then tried "climb-it" still too stiff and I don't know about regular cable but I'm not hopefull. I'm going to have to get a personal stock of SRAM cables because I don't think I'll be able to use the regular bike shop ones.

But they are excellent shifters, very smooth, solid constrution, and easy to read.

I'm using my thumb to shift both up and down, its a bit odd at first but works well.

Favorite Trail:   north downs