Home | Reviews | Shifter | SRAM

SRAM 2002 9.0 Shorty Shifter

4.92/5 (12 Reviews)
Weight : N/A

• ESP 1:1 Actuation Ratio technology: light, precise shifting
  • SRAM patented "SRS" technology: speed release spool detent shifting, enhanced mechanical feel, light precision indexing
  • 8- and 9-speed
  • Shorty" grip length:" 50mm standard length grip cover, ergonomic hex profile shifting cover
  • Quick view mechanical gear indicator
  • Tethered "Never Lose" cable replacement port: easy cable change
  • Detailed specifications: 8- and 9-speed ESP compatible, stainless steel 1.1mm cable, Grilon® composite construction, Index and Micro-adjust front shifter options

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Bob Fairlane a Cross Country Rider from Dallas TX

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2011

Strengths:    Looks good, durable, works with Sram 1:1 derailleur and about any Shimano type front derailleur

Weaknesses:    I don't like them when they get sweaty, I lose my grip sometimes. I don't like the shape of the twist shifters. They are annoying to use unless you have long bars so you can use full length grips next to the shifter knobs.

Bottom Line:
    If you are a die-hard SRAM twister fan, buy these. If not, get some Sunrace or Shimano trigger shifters and a shimano compatible rear derailleur.

Favorite Trail:   LB Houston

Purchased At:   Cambria or Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   SRAM lower tier products, Shimano trigger shifters, Shimano Revo shifter

Bike Setup:   Jamis Dakar Comp with v-brakes, Sram 9.0 rear derailleur and shifters, coil-and-oil front shock, semi slicks.

Submitted by Derek Egunam a Weekend Warrior from Woodland Beach, Ontario,Canada

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2004

Strengths:    Good Shifting, nice look, easy to get on and off

Weaknesses:    cleaning becomes tiring after muddy rides. And When youre in highest gears it takes a few seconds to change

Bottom Line:
    Great shifters, the best i've ever tried and looks great and if you dirt jump make sure your chain is tight just incase the chain skips on you. Great for jumping and North SHore!

Favorite Trail:   Stuff I Make...

Purchased At:   Wasaga Sporting Goods

Similar Products Used:   Shimano Acera, Shimano Alivio, Shimano SIS

Bike Setup:   Diamondback Photon, Psylo Xc U-Turn Fork, Truvativ Hussefelt, Kenda Kinetic Dh front, Kenda Kinetic rear, Sram 7.0 ESp derailleur

Submitted by BRUNO a Cross Country Rider from Chicago, Il.

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2003

Strengths:    Simple and sensible. Ergonomically superior to (Shimano)thumbshifters, i.e., a clean, uncluttered sweep across the handlebar, no jagged pods hanging down. Gripshift twisting action just plain makes sense, while being precise and fast. I have had NO accidental mis-shifts. One easy twist will get you across any number of gears from 1st all the way to 9th, if you need. Lightweight. Excellent tactility.

Weaknesses:    Hey, SRAM, why aren't these wonderful shifters spec'd on more highend bikes? They are certainly worthy.

Bottom Line:
    Terrific! It's not that Shimano doesn't make good components. But, the SRAM operation is faster, quieter, more amenable to the natural movements of the hand. Most important to me is that I can instantly change across a band of 1 to 9 gears with one twist. You can't do that with Shimano. Highly recommended.

Purchased At:   Bikeworld.com

Similar Products Used:   Everything Shimano (but not now that I've ridden the clearly better Sram), and old Suntour.

Bike Setup:   Marin Eldridge Grade. Columbus Steel Frame. 9.0 shorty shifters, 9.0SL rear derailleur, 9.0 PowerGlide II cassette, Sram PC99 Chain, Avid Brake Levers, Cane Creek Thudbuster(great product) for my back, IRD Carbon handlebar.

Submitted by E R from LosAngeles

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2002

Strengths:    Crisp, precise shifting, durable, trouble free.

Bottom Line:
    These are great shifters. They simply work, trouble free.

My only wish would be a narrower profile with a smaller gear window to get another 1/4" of handlebar space back.

Purchased At:   Jenson

Similar Products Used:   SRAM Centerra half pipes.

Submitted by Matt a Cross Country Rider from Blacksburg, VA

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2002

Strengths:    lightweight, unobtrusive grip means no accidental shifts, durable, quick and precise shifting.

Weaknesses:    none to think of...

Bottom Line:
    When it came time to build my bike I was a little hesitant to try the gripshift over the proven rapid-fires. I went out on a limb with Sram and I absolutely have not regretted it. I enjoy not having to move my fingers around to shift gears. One thing I was afraid would happen was accidentally shifting (which is why I got the shorty shifters). I can only think of one occasion when I accidentally shifted so I am definitely impressed with the quality of these shifters. One caveat: I have heard the Sram half pipes have a greater tendency to shift themselves.
    Are these better than Shimano? I think they are on par with XT level rapid-fires but shift more quickly and weigh less. You make the decision.

Purchased At:   jensonusa.com

Submitted by Peter McCann from Houston, TX

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2002

Strengths:    Durabilty, performance, customer service, weight

Weaknesses:    none here

Bottom Line:
    Ben using gripshift since '94 and have NEVER had to replace due to failure. I have never done any maintenance. Fast, precise shifts, hand stays wrapped around bar where it should be, easy cable replacement. These have survived many collisions with trees (don't overtighten), as well as constant neglect. Fewer parts =fewer problems. I prefer the shortys over the halfpipes for positive feel and rough terrain. I'm not sure but I think last time I checked they were 3oz. (1/4lb.) lighter than Shimano. Some test rider in a bike mag complained that he couldn't shift while braking-what a MORON!

Similar Products Used:   thumb shifters

Bike Setup:   Custom Ellsworth

Submitted by Steve Eckardt a Racer from Markle, IN USA

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2002

Strengths:    Almost as light as Shimano - simple to use - simple design - you can grab a handful of gears in a hurry with one twist of your wrist

Weaknesses:    None that I have found yet

Bottom Line:
    So far so good. These shifters are easy to mount and the gear indicators are actually readable. I like the twisting action. Provided nothing major breaks on these - my Shimano days are over.

Favorite Trail:   Winona Lake

Purchased At:   Summit City Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Shimano LX

Bike Setup:   Giant Alum hardtail-Manitou fork-SRAM 9.0 drivetrain-Sun RPM lite wheels

Submitted by STP a Racer from Palmdale CA

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2002

Strengths:    Light precise action. Easy to rip a shift in either direction.

Bottom Line:
    One click, one gear. Those who claim that downshifting without pedalling using the Rapid-Fires are only missing out on getting the exact gear at the exact time. The ability to crest a hill and grab five gears in half a second is way superior to pushing the little shift button five times. Secondly, you keep your strongest digit, your thumb wrapped around the bar at all times, which means better control of your bike. Going up hills with velocity, you can downshift precisely at the max power effort you're putting out. Clean, precise shifting without a thought.

Favorite Trail:   Ave P land

Purchased At:   Ebay (new)

Similar Products Used:   SRAM Rocket, 8.0, 7.0

Bike Setup:   K2 Razorback, 8 Spd, SRAM 9.0 Shifter and 9.0 SL Derrailuer

Submitted by Eric a Cross Country Rider from NY

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2002

Strengths:    Shifts smoothly and precisly, need no maintence. cheaper than shimano stuff of the "same quality"

Weaknesses:    hard to shift when wet if you don't remember your gloves.

Bottom Line:
    This shifters are excellent, I had a pair of LX rapid fire before and altough they were basically precise, the levers gradually became hard and harder to push. I upgraded to sram stuff when i obliterated my rear deriallur and i have to say they are much better. Buy them. Just don't forget your gloves if its raining real hard and muddy, if your racing, twisting the shifter when its slick is more challenging than it needs to be in a race. but if you wear gloves this doesn't happen. oh and they shifters need way less care than any shimano stuff i've seen.

Purchased At:   CK Cycles

Similar Products Used:   XTR and LX Rapid fire, cheap grip shift

Bike Setup:   old bike: Kona Caldera, 9.0 shifters and 9.0sl rear, xt front deraillur. Other good XC componentes. New Bike: Vicious Cycles Metal Guru, same drive train, also good xc componetns.

Submitted by Rick X a Cross Country Rider from Portland, OR

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2002

Strengths:    Flawless shifting under all conditions.

Bottom Line:
    Just after I finished building my dream XC bike with full XTR components I had a bad crash and tore 2 of my ligaments in my right thumb. I couldn't put any downward pressure on my thumb and I had no alternative but to switch to SRAM grip shift in order to do any riding at all, as I didn't have any trouble using twist shifters.

I chose the 9.0 shorty shifters over the Half-pipes and use a 9.0 SL rear derailleur. If you are riding any technical trails you won't regret using the shorty's as they are just as easy to use and the shorter length helps avoid unintentional shifts.

After having just come from the XTR front & rear thumb shifters I noticed that the SRAM's were much smoother shifting right from the start. The short time I used the XTR's I found them to be finicky, noisy and in need of constant adjustment. If you tried to shift with tension on the chain you were asking for trouble. Also the XTR didn't work as well when loaded down with mud. I was pretty disappointed because I had been using XT for years without any problems and thought that XTR would offer superior performance. XT works much better under adverse conditions especially in mud.

In short the SRAM works smoothly, predictably and quietly under all conditions. I haven't had a single shifting problem even when everything is caked with mud. The SRAM's inspire confidence when riding on difficult single-track sections. If the 9.0 SL shorty shifters had been available when I switched I probably would have upgraded to those but the 9.0's are excellent.

I like my XTR cranks but would probably switch to an SRAM front derailleur in the future. I can't see myself going back to Shimano shifters & derailleurs as the SRAM's have been one of the best upgrades I've ever made!

Favorite Trail:   any