Home | Reviews | Shifter | SRAM

SRAM 2002 7.0™ Shorty Shifter with Amy Grip Cover Shifter

4.33/5 (3 Reviews)
Weight : N/A

• Smaller diameter grip cover for greater compatibility with small-diameter hand
  • SRAM Patented "SRS" technology: speed release spool detent shifting, enhanced mechanical feel, light precision indexing
  • ESP 1:1 Actuation Ratio Technology: light, precise shifting
  • Quick view mechanical gear indicator
  • Tethered "Never Lose" cable replacement port: easy cable change
  • Detailed specifications: 8- and 9-speed ESP compatible, composite construction, Index and Micro-adjust front shifter options available
  • "Shorty" Shifter featuring the Amy grip cover available only in the U.S.

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Mark a Cross Country Rider from currently Taiwan

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2004

Strengths:    fast, precise shifts

Bottom Line:
    These are great shifters. Fast, accurate shifts. I've never had a problem with them. I was thinking about changing to XO when I bought the bike, but Why? The only criticism I have is down shifting with the chainrings. I like Rapid Fires one click and it drops the chain to the next lower chainring. With SRAM I have to make three clicks. It is a little slower. But the up shifting is much nicer, and the rear feels better to me. I like Grip Shifters better than Rapid Fire, but I am not going to spend the money and replace the Rapid Fires I have on my other bike.

Purchased At:   OEM

Similar Products Used:   Rapid Fire

Bike Setup:   Giant XTC2

Submitted by Mitch Plout a Racer from WI

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2002

Strengths:    AMY grip is excelent
    Cheap
    looks Cool
    Light
    Shift Very quickly

Weaknesses:    Comes with too long of a grip that is heavy
    Lasts about a year

Bottom Line:
    I purchased them becasue of their thin grip design. i think it prevents accidental shifs because it is not really grippy. It is also cheaper and lighter than X.O. They get kinda gritty after a year. so i will get new ones this year. dont listen to the person above it is obvious she has know idea how to adjust the derailer same for her shop. i am a mechanic and they work flawlessly.

Favorite Trail:   mitchp@new.rr.com

Purchased At:   Milhaupts

Similar Products Used:   XTR,XT,LX,9.0

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Superlite, X.0 XTR, Fox RLT, King hubs and headset

Submitted by Lonnie Elliott a Cross Country Rider from Canyon, TX USA

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2002

Strengths:    Shifts are quicker than the rapid fire I have.

Weaknesses:    poorly indexed for the chainrings

Bottom Line:
    I have only had these for 2 weeks and haven't really ridden them much, so I will give them a chance. I prefer rapidfire to any gripshift that I have tried. I have to give it to them for easy and immediately shifting. I hope I can get used to them. One down side is the front. I have tried cocking the derailluer, setting the stop screw, all the little things you can do, but no matter what I do I get one of two things. One, it shifts off the big chainring. I busted the plastic chainguard off on a street climb the first day I had it. or, I can adjust it to stay on the big chainring and it rubs the derailluer in the middle ring unless kept a click closer the the big ring, but it hesitates into the big ring then. I may review them again when I get some miles on them, but for now the flaming chilies reflect my initial impressions. Can't fault the price so five for value and three for good rear and crappy front shifting.

Favorite Trail:   GSL