Home | Reviews | Shifter | SRAM

SRAM 2002 7.0™ Half Pipe Shifter Shifter

4.5/5 (2 Reviews)
Weight : N/A

• SRAM patented "SRS" technology: speed release spool detent shifting, enhanced mechanical feel, light precision indexing
  • "Half Pipe" grip length: all time shifting, shift from all positions on the handlebar, comfortable all terrain grip over
  • All-terrain grip cover design: improved shifting efficiency and comfort
  • Tethered "Never Lose" cable replacement port: easy cable change
  • Delrin® cable track: lighter effort shifting from reduced friction
  • Quick view mechanical gear indicator
  • Indexing barrel adjuster: holds position in all conditions
  • Detailed specifications: 8- and 9-speed ESP compatible, Grilon® composite construction

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Chris a Cross Country Rider from Baltimore

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2006

Strengths:    Simple to install, easy to use, ability to tweak front der. Light

Weaknesses:    A little too much plastic, but hey if I wanted metal and carbon I would have bought the X.0

Bottom Line:
    Went from X-7 triggers to 7.0 gripshift. Love it! I was always hitting the downshift on the triggers and the wrong time and could never find a comfortable position. Plus the ability to tweak the front der keeps you have having the chain rub. Love these and will probably stick with twist shifting from now on. Great price at Nashbar $25 per pair! Good deal to try something new (for me).

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   N/A

Bike Setup:   Iron Horse hardtail, X-7, Hayes disc brakes, XT crank.

Submitted by Mark Lightcap a Cross Country Rider from L.A.

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2006

Strengths:    simple, ultralight and seemingly indestructable.

Weaknesses:    occasional inadvertant shifts, lack of grip choices

Bottom Line:
    I bought these half pipes because I was in a jam - I had bought a pair of shortys on EBay and the seller hung me out to dry on the eve of a trip to Moab when I had already replaced my old shimano derailleur with a new X-7 and the only ESP 8 speeds I could fing were these NOS half pipes. I was a bit freaked out at first by the feeling of having half the grip be a moveable mechanism, but I found myself digging it in no time. With an absolute minimum of futzing, I felt completely dialed into my new shifting reality. It's like having your hands on your shifter cables at all times which makes shifting much more instinctive and leads to a much more aggressive approach - you can just grab handfuls of gears when you need them and they're pretty much always there. Accidental shifts do occur from time to time but they are easily reversed and I find them to be infinitely less annoying than the finicky pseudo surgical response of rapid fires. With the SRAMs, the chain eagely leaps from cog to cog like a circus monkey. There is a small amount of play in between the shifters and the bars which, although annoying, I have grown accustomed to. Ultimately, it's all about feel and this system has a very distinctive one which some will love and some will find problematic. Personally, I think they kick ass.

Favorite Trail:   Gooseberry Mesa