Home | Reviews | Shifter | SRAM

SRAM 2001 Shorty Shifter Shifter

4.67/5 (6 Reviews)

• 8 and 9-speed
  • Same specs as 9.0 Twist Shifter
  • "Shorty" grip length: 50mm standard length grip cover, ergonomic hex profile shifting cover

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Matt a Cross Country Rider from Bay Area, CA

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2002

Strengths:    quick shifting, easy to grip, ability to trim front derailleur (unlike RapidFire)

Weaknesses:    accidental shifts in tight, technical sections, puts brake lever kinda far away from the end of the bar

Bottom Line:
    Originally I was going to use a set of Deore thumb shifters that I'd reversed and flipped under the handlebar, but I gummed up the front shifter, so I asked the guys at Wrench Science (who are the best bike shop guys I've ever known) to put a Shorty front shifter on the right side and it's worked perfectly.

Before I sprung for two sets of Lock-On grips (full length left side, shorty right side), I was having trouble with twisting the grip and having the shifter move, but the lock-on is noticeably wider than the cut-down grip it replaced, to the point that my hand barely touches the shifter, even though my hands are fairly big; size Large glvoes barely fit. The only downside to this whole thing is that it moved the rear brake lever farther inboard, which would make it very hard to get two fingers on the lever if I ever needed that much power (haven't yet).

It's probably partly to do with the sealed cables, but I've never had to do a single bit of maintenance with the shifter and don't expect to for at least another six months, maybe more. The spring-loaded downshift (upshift for rear shifter) feature provides significantly faster chainring shifting than anything I've ever used. This may very well be the quickest, most reliable type of shifter currently being made (I only like thumbies better).

Purchased At:   www.wrenchscience.com

Bike Setup:   Titus Racer-X, '93 Deore rear shifter/Shorty front shifter, ODI Lock-On/Yeti Hardcore grips, Avid 1.9 brake levers, XT derailleurs, Gore Ride-On cables

Submitted by Eric a Cross Country Rider from Lafayette, LA USA

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2001

Strengths:    Easy, fast and precise shifting under all conditions. Shorty length is perfect when used in conjunction with ODI Lockjaws and Yeti Shorty grips. Lightwieght yet durable and simple design.

Weaknesses:    Compatible with SRAM ESP shifters only.

Bottom Line:
    SRAM makes quality components here in the USA. By upgrading to a 9.0SL system with the Shorty Shifters I made my bike feel brand new. Ah, the crispness of a clean chain quickly jumping from gear to gear. I found myself shifting more, riding faster and grinning from ear to ear. This is what it is all about.

I really appreciate the simplicity of the design, as I have been reluctant to use a Shimano shifter since they ditcheed the top-mounted variety for Rapidfire. Grip-shifting isn't for everybody, but I find it totaly natural.

The red gear indicator is a completely useless and unneccesary part of the shifter, but unlike other reviewers I was able to position my brake levers without any problems. The only other downside of these shifters is that you are locked into using SRAM ESP shifters(which rock).

Purchased At:   PerformanceBike.com

Similar Products Used:   Grip Shift X-Rays, Old School Shimano XT Top-Mounted Shifters.

Bike Setup:   Answer/Manitou Aluminum Hardtail, Easton CT-2 handlebars, ODI Lockjaws and Yeti Shorty grips, Avid brake levers, 9.0SL rear deraillure.

Submitted by Chris a Cross Country Rider from Dunda

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2001

Strengths:    Simple, light, works well, nice shifting

Weaknesses:    Made completely out of plastic, long term is questionable.

Bottom Line:
    Work really well, shift great. Suprised at how simple
    the internals are . Plastic parts may not hold out
    over the long run.

Purchased At:   Calgary Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XTR rapid fire.

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Superlight loaded.

Submitted by Michael G a Racer from Chicago, IL USA

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2001

Strengths:    Smooth, positive "clicks", super-fast shifts, easy to read gear indicators

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
    Between training, prerides, and races, I put a lot of hard miles on my bike. These shifters work great! Always get fast, crisp shifts with SRAM ESP stuff. I ride fast in a lot of rocky, muddy conditions and these shifters never fail to get me in the gear I want instantly - I always had a slight pause with Shimano shifters.

Favorite Trail:   Yankee Springs, MI

Purchased At:   Jenson

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XTR (no indicator) & XT w/integrated brake levers.

Bike Setup:   Giant XTC NRS Air w/Rockshox SID XC

Submitted by Rick Morgan a Cross Country Rider from Seattle, WA

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2001

Strengths:    accurate shifting
    quick shifting
    looks good
    few misfires

Weaknesses:    display is a bit overgrown, but nothing I cant deal with.

Bottom Line:
    I like em!
    I have always been a fan of the sram gripshift mechanism
    and I really appreciate the shifting of the ESP mechanism.
    Its as crisp as a cool winter morning.

However, the halpipes were a little too long for me and I would sometimes shift inadvertantly in technical sections.

these new shorties have completely eliminated misfiring as a problem. In addition they look more streamlines and seem more securely built than last year's halfpipe shifters.

I suppose people will argue endlessly over gripshift vs rapidfire shifters. I boths systems on my two mountain bikes, but the gripshift feels more natural to me and has given me fewer maintenance issues overall.

Because of the value and inherent quality of the product, I vote five hot chilis.

Favorite Trail:   tapeworm