Home | Reviews | Shifter | SRAM

SRAM 2000 Rocket Shifter

4.28/5 (18 Reviews)
Weight : 193 g MSRP : $88.00

• 9 speed compatible (DI.R.T. / Shimano)
  • 80 mm gripping length (front and rear)
  • Tethered cable hatch
  • Teflon coated cable
  • Grilon composite construction
  • index and micro-adjust front shifter option

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Aaron a Weekend Warrior from Incline Village, NV

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2007

Strengths:    Light touch, thumb shifting

Weaknesses:    Plastic seems a little flimsy (but has held up fine)

Bottom Line:
    I love these; prefer the thumb-only shifting to the typical RF setup. Very light touch and shifting is very precise. It doesn't feel quite as solid as the XTR RF's, but I have had zero problems and they have taken a few knocks without mishap.

Favorite Trail:   Tahoe Rim Trail

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   XTR, XT

Bike Setup:   Turner XCE, Marzocchi Race 100, XTR RR, Race Face Turbine, eggbeaters, Avid SD, Rhyno Lites.

Submitted by Jorgex a Weekend Warrior from Almada, Portugal

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2006

Strengths:    -lighter and cheapier than shimano XT (in 2000)
    -new half pipe (u like it or not)

Weaknesses:    -with gore ride on or avid flak jackets: NONE
    -with cheap cables: alot "mis-shifts"
    -new half pipe (u like it or not)

Bottom Line:
    6 years of severe shifting and stil precise gear changes.
    DO WE NEED MORE?
    Yes, the shifter should somehow show what gear i'm using during night rides.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano cbr, stx-r or something like that.

Bike Setup:   Giant escaper'92 (hardtail), Avid Flak Jackets with deore(f) and XT(r)

Submitted by Marty from Cleveland, OH USA

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2001

Strengths:    high quality, smooth shifting

Weaknesses:    don't come in the color teal

Bottom Line:
    Shifters are really apples to oranges, more of a reference thing if perfetionally installed. Always be aware of the reviewer who is the only person that does not like a product, that he installed himself. I like these shifters better than thier half-pipe counterparts due to the fact that the halfpipes like to shift when your are tourqueing on steep uphills. I have no complains these shifters worked great, and I am real rough on shifters and deraillers.

Favorite Trail:   Who's askin'?

Similar Products Used:   STX, XTR rapid fires, 9.0 SL halfpipes

Bike Setup:   99 Ibis Alibi, Superfly, Raceface, Maguras, King headset. XTR rapid rise rear, XTR front derailler, flak jacket cables, XT cassette

Submitted by Sean a Weekend Warrior from Sydney

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2001

Strengths:    Looks, value for money, comfortable durable and grip, snappy shifting, f. derailleur "micro indexing", easy cable changes

Weaknesses:    Occasional mis-shifts, not exactly cheap

Bottom Line:
    I am reviewing the short grip Rockets, not the long grip version.

I upgraded from Sachs waveys after the spring broke (see review). No way I was using Shimano stuff, though it works. I was surprised to see that the Rockets were cheaper than the Attacks, even though they are newer. Thus far I have been very pleased with the Rockets. Just as good as the waveys, with a similar feel. Shifting is perfect. At first, with such slick new cables, there were quite a few instances of over shifting i.e. shifting two gears up instead of one, but as the cables have gotten grottier, this happens less. It is still a very light action, which can cause mis-shifts out on the trail.

One concern I have is the plastic cable adjusters which are a little flimsy.
    A bad crash and they could easily snap. Reviewers have noted this with the Attacks, but not with the Rockets…yet. One other worry is the cost of replacing grips and their availability, what with planned obsolescence. However, they seem pretty durable. Other reviewers have problems with the optical gear display, which is gimmicky, but does not cause problems. Nor is the body any wider than the waveys, which didn't have a display.

Overall, I am really pleased with the product and appreciate SRAM for making 8 spd versions compatible with Shimano derailleurs. If you use Shimano derailleurs do yourselves a favour and use the Rocket. I'd give it a high five if it weren't for the odd mis-shift. Simple, reliable, crisp shifting, unobtrusive, durable, maintenance free, but repairable. How many derailleurs can you describe like that?

Favorite Trail:   Six Foot Track

Purchased At:   You Can, Tokyo

Similar Products Used:   Sachs Wavey, '95 Deore LX thumbies

Bike Setup:   Kona '98 Explosif (which kicks butt, including mine), XT levers and derailleurs, 8 speed

Submitted by Westy a Racer from Peterborough, Ontario

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2001

Strengths:    Light, works great!

Weaknesses:    mmmm, I don't know of any yet...

Bottom Line:
    The Rockets let you get close to the performance of ESP 9.0 while still using the more durable XTR rear Derailer. I use the 8spd version with a 9spd rear derailer on an XT 11-30 cassette, the front is moving a XTR unit over a 22-32-44 chainring set. Both shifters work excellent. There is no hesitation to push the 12-tooth chainring gap and the back shifts smoothly and quikly. I've even shifted while standing on the pedals with great results. These shifters are and excellent alternative to a full ESP setup!

Purchased At:   Cyclepath Peterborough

Similar Products Used:   Sachs Powergrip Wavey, Shimano XT RF

Bike Setup:   Wheeler with XTR and Race Face goods. XTR front and Rear Derailers.

Submitted by Andreas Klauser a Cross Country Rider from Feldafing

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2001

Strengths:    Weight, functionality

Weaknesses:    I could do without that clumsy gear display. Keep it lean, when you design it next time.

Bottom Line:
    Since my XTR Brakes began to wear and wobble, I put on Magura Quicksilvers instead. These in combination with XTR shifters simply look ridiculous. Having made good experience with the Attacks 8.0 on my other two bikes, I bought the new Shimano-compatible SRAMs Rocket Shorty Shifters. These certainly work on XTR level: precise gear changes, perfect ergonomy, low weight. Perfect in combination with the Maguras, perfect function from both.

Purchased At:   hibike

Similar Products Used:   SramGrip Shift Attack 8.0, Shimano XT, XTR

Bike Setup:   Trek 9900 OCLV, Manitou SX Carbon, Mavic 521 Ceramic/tune hubs/36 DT Comp Spokes, XTR Gear, Magura QuickSilver

Submitted by johnbuck a Cross Country Rider from cleveland

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2001

Weaknesses:    The Shorty's a little short on "short."

Bottom Line:
    Older Grip Shift users beware: The shifter body on the Shorty is almost a cm wider than on the old 2.0's. That puts an extra cm of shifter sleeve in your hand.

The tethered cable change port is nice, but the Shorty is bulky in other dimensions as well as the body width. And it looks like a space helmet. I wish they could have made the cable changing easier without adding the stupid moving optical gear display and the bulk that comes with it.

For now, I'll stick with the 2.0's, and just always make sure to leave enough room between the brake and the handlebar bulge so that the brake lever can be moved inward enough to allow a cable change (without having to instead take the bar-end off and move the handgrip outward).

SRAM acknowledges that they had to put the optical gear display on there 'cause even XTR has it. Too bad.

Favorite Trail:   huckleberry trail, w. va

Purchased At:   Perforated

Submitted by Brandon Brown a Cross Country Rider from Austin

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2001

Strengths:    Ease of shifting "throttle like". Great for quick shifting through the trees.

Weaknesses:    Here is where they go bad. If you encounter any type of conditions other than say perfect, expect to have to retune before your next ride. They seem to have a real problem with shifting in any wet or slight mud conditions. When your cables seem to not be lubed up alot then the shifting becomes very tight and slow. Also if you are going to be riding fairly intense then these shifters tend to shift when you encounter rough terrain.

Bottom Line:
    If you are looking for great shifting in all conditions and ride fairly extreme then I would recomend to go with the rapid fire system instead. These shifters are good quality but lack the durability and fit for mountain bikers.

Favorite Trail:   Rocky Hill Ranch

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   grip shift 9.0 sl

Bike Setup:   98 Fisher Hoo Kooe Koo
    Sid XC, XTR (Rear) XT (Front) Derailers, XT Splined Cranks,
    Spinergy M2 wheelset, thomson stem w/ Easton Monkey Riser Bars (Carbon), XTR v-brakes and levers, Kore Lite 2 seat post and Italia Ti Gel Saddle

Submitted by RandyA a Cross Country Rider from Detroit, MI USA

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2001

Strengths:    (I have the Rocket "shorty" version) Just like the other GS's, this was very easy to setup. I also liked the shorty grip length. I couldn't get into the half-pipe config, and reading all the gripes about it made me stay away from it. I was glad SRAM went back to the shorter length.

Weaknesses:    Well, if you condsider this a weakness... The SRS feature is kinda cool. It does makes shifting effort easier, but I do prefer the "regular" feel of the ESP 7.0 installed on my Dean Colonel.

Bottom Line:
    I have always preferred GS to RF, so when I bought my Sugar4 last year I made plans to "upgrade" from the Deore RF that came stock. I took the opportunity to at least try the RF for the year. But this winter I had the time and $$, so I made the switch. Now, my Sugar is sweet.

Minus 1 flame for the higher price, tho...

Favorite Trail:   Does it really matter...? ;-)

Purchased At:   JensonUSA

Similar Products Used:   I have Deore RF (spare lying around) & SRAM ESP 7.0 (on my Dean)

Bike Setup:   The Rockets are on my Sugar4: Avid 2.0 brakes & levers, SRAM 9.0 Ft Der, XT Rr Der, TruVativ Stylo crank, UN72 BB, XT/Mustang wheelset, Manitou SX (w/ Englund Internals), and other things...

Submitted by Damon Ladson a Weekend Warrior from North Bethesda, MD, USA

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2001

Strengths:    As a kid in California we used to make BMX bikes with light motorcycle parts before there were BMX bikes. The frames would bust regularly, but the rims and handlebars held up well. Fast forward 27 years and I buy a mountain bike -- with rapidfires. Hard to adjust and I could never remember what to click when. My full suspension bike came with a SRAM 9.0 SL setup so I made the swap. Cycling is now a pleasure. I built up a similar VooDoo bike for a friend and she swears by the Rockets too. Having been out of biking for 27 years, I figured grip-shifts were for sissies. I was wrong. I'd use them on anything.

Weaknesses:    Before you get used to the half-pipe, accidental shifts are easy. After a while you develop the touch. Although they are much easier to setup than the crappy Shimano shifters the bike came with, it does take a little time if you want the rings and cogs to correspond to the number indicators on the shifters.

Bottom Line:
    At my skill level I see no reason to ride anything else. Five chilis.. check that, five (5) HABENEROS!!!

Purchased At:   Performance Cycle (Web)

Similar Products Used:   Shimano stuff the bike came with. Anyone want them?

Bike Setup:   '01 Hoodoo AL, Manitou SX-R, Easton Monkey lite carbon, Easton CT-2 carbon post, Kore stem, Chris King headset, Shimano Deore derailers, Spingery spox M1 wheelset, Bontrager jones tires, Avid brakes, sunringle juju pedals, truvativ crankset

Submitted by Pawel Szafruga a Racer from Pullman, WA

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2001

Strengths:    Percise shifts
    Compatible with Shimano

Weaknesses:    umm...?

Bottom Line:
    The bike I own came stock with rapidfires. I have never ridden rapidfires so I decided to give them a try, but after a week or so I came to the conclusion that SRAM gripshifts are much more precise, take a lot movement/energy to shift, and are lots faster.
    I am not trying to put Shimano down, but probably the main reason I like SRAM better is because I am accustomed to gripshift and rapidfires don't come naturally for me.
    I would recomend that anyone buying shifters that hasn't ever ridden either system try both rapidfires and gripshifts before making their decision.
    Five flamin' chilis because these are the best shifter's I have ever used.

Purchased At:   B&L Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   SRAM 7.0, 5.0, Shimano LX Rapidfire

Bike Setup:   2001 Gary Fisher Sugar 3 with Bontrager Race flatbar, 9.0 levers, Rocket shifters

Submitted by wrenchgrrl a Racer from usa

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2000

Strengths:    crash resistant, easy to install

Weaknesses:    shifts when climbing hard

Bottom Line:
    I think the halfpipe grip is too long. I tend to hammer down and lunge the handlebars over stuff when climbing. That will cause shifting when I least want it to. I find this really annoying. I also have difficulty with fine tuning the shifter with a XTR rear derailleur, the chain is always skipping over the 2nd largest cog. Too bad you can't trim down the grips.

Bike Setup:   read all about it at http://www.geocities.com/wrenchgrrl

Submitted by Steve a Weekend Warrior from Mountain View CA

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2000

Strengths:    Tremendous leverage.
    Snappy shifting.

Weaknesses:    Hard grip
    Expensive

Bottom Line:
    The longer grip is nice, however, the grip material is quite hard. There are some nice changes over the older attack model, such as permanently attached cable end covers, and press-fit cable end holders. I can't say they shift the cogs any better than the attacks, but the rocket shifters seem to do a better job shifting the chainrings.

While these shifters work fine with standard cables, a set of Gore cables really makes them spin like a top. Overall, I would recommend these over the attack model, but what I would really like to see is something with a gripper that's longer than the attack (using the same soft compound), but shorter than what is used for the rocket shifters.

Favorite Trail:   Henry Coe