Home | Reviews | Shifter | SRAM

2.44/5 (9 Reviews)

Half Pipe models have an 80mm shifter grip length

Submitted by Ace Freely a Downhiller from Canton, Ohio

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2002

Strengths:    They shift gears

Weaknesses:    They are too huge and suck when you are going downhills!! They shift on every big bump!!

Bottom Line:
They suck! Avoid them if you can. They cam stock on my RM6 which is the only thing I didn't like about the bike!

Purchased At:   Silent Sports

Similar Products Used:   Smaller grip shifts

Submitted by Arvin Smee a Cross Country Rider from Annapolis, MD

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2001

Bottom Line:
SRAM stuff sucks, but this doesn't seem to affect their sales. Who were the geniuses at SRAM R+D who first said, "I know, let's do something different from Shimano! Let's make all of our parts out of plastic so they are flexy and break easily. But we can't call it plastic.... Let's call it composite instead." Whatever you call it, it sucks. At the bike shop I work at, the stuff is refered to as Grip Shi*. Racers that I know who are forced to run the shifters because of their sponsors will sometimes break them on purpose so that they can replace them with Shimano's right before the race. This stuff just sucks. If you want something to last and function well, make it at of metal.

Submitted by Cajun a Cross Country Rider from Dublin, OH

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2001

Strengths:    These things are all around terrible. Can't find any strenghts!

Weaknesses:    First of all, the grip shifter is huge. My pinkie finger is the only finger that doesn't rest on the grip. In the first 3 seconds that I tested the grips it shifted gears when I didn't want it to. I only want my thumb and index finger to touch the shifting part. These grips come standard on my new Giant Warp DS 1. I wanted the shop owner to trim/cut down the grip to my hand size, but you can't; the entire inside of the grip is needed for the grips and the plastic insert to work. So now I have to put my older stuff on the new bike.
I also found alot of play in the rear shifter. Also, there is a huge amount of distance in between 9th gear and 1st. It's close to half the circumfrence of the grip.

Bottom Line:
Don't get these if you plan to ride over any small (or big) bumps, hills, curbs, jumps, rocks, or logs. You will shift even though you don't want to when your hand jerks on the grip accidently.

Favorite Trail:   Dublin Trails

Purchased At:   Demo'd @ Northland Schwinn

Similar Products Used:   CODA grip shift on Cannondale Super-V. Really I don't like the grip shift systems. I was going to give these AssRams a try, but not if I can't trim the length of the shifter back.

Bike Setup:   2001 Warp DS 1, Hayes HMX-1 Mechanicals, Marzoochi Z5.

Submitted by Bill a Weekend Warrior from Adelaide

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2001

Strengths:    Light weight, precise shifts on rear derailluer.

Weaknesses:    Ghost shifts were very very frustrating, front derailluer shifter is not precise and as a consequence can cause the chain to miss shift and jam in chain rings, ouch. End grips slide around.

Bottom Line:
I still can't understand why anyone would design a shifter which ghost shifts when you are under any form of stress. I have crunched a chain and nearly bent a rear cog because of this problem. The sram short shifters are a much better design.
In addition the front derailluer shifter creates a feeling of uncertainty when you are undertaking a shift while under stress. It is a hit or miss whether you are going to make a good change or not.
I changed back to shimano (LX and XT Der.) at considerable cost because of these failings. A great relief because one click and your in with both shifters.
I would only recommend the short sram shifters because of the weight savings, forget the half pipes they are a bad design concept because of the inbuilt ghost shifting feature.

Favorite Trail:   As long as it is flat

Similar Products Used:   Other gripshift short shifter products and shimano pods.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale CAAD3, XTR/517 wheels, Rock shock suspension post. Half pipes came with original bike.

Submitted by Dan from Bethlehm, PA

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2001

Strengths:    Quick presise shifts

Weaknesses:    Halfpipe too long can cause unwanted shifts on technical stuff.

Bottom Line:
Going from a rapid fire shifter to the gripshift was hard to adjust at first. Too many unwanted shifts in technical sections due to the half pipe grip. This problem is easily overcome with a hacksaw, some sandpaper to smooth out the rough edges,and some spacers where the gripshift meets the new grips. Looks good, can't tell it was cut,and elimanates unwanted shifts. I would reccmmend to just buy the sorty gripshift. I did not have this option the halfpipes came with my bike. After my personal modification i gith Sram a perfect score

Favorite Trail:   South Mountain

Similar Products Used:   Shimano rapidfire

Bike Setup:   2001 Warp DS1 w/ lots of upgrades

Submitted by pablo a Weekend Warrior from solana, ca USA

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2001

Strengths:    Easy to know what gear your in.
Great for beginners and individuals missing digits.

Weaknesses:    Accidental shifting occurs to much because the shifting part of the grips are to long. If you have to get off and walk because of a slip of the shifter, you'll be pissed off!
Also the ends of the grips don't do anything but slip off.

Bottom Line:
P.O.S.
I am switching to a rapid fire system a.s.a.p.

Favorite Trail:   a dirt trail

Purchased At:   Included on bike

Similar Products Used:   n-a

Bike Setup:   Included on a 2001 warp DS1

Submitted by ËrûptíõÑ a Weekend Warrior from Central Florida

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2000

Strengths:    Smooth shifting, light, good looking

Weaknesses:    Half pipe is too long! I cant ride anything technical without unwanted shifts

Bottom Line:
I have always liked the grip shifters but these things are just too long. I will either cut them shorter(if this is possible) or replace them with shorter grip shifters. Other then that they work great. Ride On

Favorite Trail:   Santos

Similar Products Used:   Sachs

Bike Setup:   Cannonadale Cad3

Submitted by Matt a Cross Country Rider from Altoona, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2000

Strengths:    fast, crisp shifting; 1:1 is good; 9.0 derailler

Weaknesses:    takes a bit to get used to the halfpipe after riding regular grip shift, the little bit of grip at the ends keep sliding almost off

Bottom Line:
After switching to SRAM 2 years ago and using many of their lower end products on a number of different bikes and setups, this is their best product to date. Shifts seem to be more precise and faster. The 1:1 is probably to thank for that. The grip length took a little getting used to and the shorter amount of twist makes the rear one a bit too sensitive for landing jumps cause my big hands twist a little on the descent and landing. Other than that, these guys make Shimano a thing of the past. The rear derailler is some kind of plastic. I'd rather a slightly heavier metal one, but I haven't had any problems with it yet. We'll see how it lasts over the next few months. The adjustment barrels on the shifters are easy to use and are big enough for my big hands. Overall this is a good setup that keeps your whole hand on the bar at all times like any other g.s. system, but with much better shifting.

Favorite Trail:   Ones with big ricks

Similar Products Used:   generic grip shift models, rapid fire shifters, index......

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Super V: CODA, SRAM, Headshock

Submitted by Tucker a Racer from Waunakee, WI

Date Reviewed: June 21, 1999

Strengths:
long shiter grip for front and rear shifter,weight,esp, 1:1 shifting,looks,quality

Weaknesses:
the front shifter dosen't really need the halfpipe grip you don't shift the front enough to use it.

Bottom Line:
This is a very sweet shifter I think that sram has really stepped up there quality of there lower end products up to the quality of the higher end Shimano stuff. All the 5.0 and 7.0 all work as well as some of the higher stuff. Some pro downhillers are using the 7.0 halfpipe for ther bikes now. I will admit it I am now a Shimano convert to Sram. I think that you all will be impressed with Sram's offerings for 2000! I can't wait till Sram has there new double spring shifter coming out it is still in prototype but we can look for it at the end of this year! Then Shimano will really be in trouble!!! All the Sram stuff is going to be Sweet for 2000 but there are using a lot of plastic on there derailleurs! But they do work well!!

To many to list!