Home | Reviews | Shifter | SRAM

SRAM 1999 ESP 9.0 Shifter

4.42/5 (26 Reviews)
Weight : 185 g/pair

SRAM ESP 9.0 Shifter (for use with SRAM ESP 9.0 Derailleur only)

Submitted by Cason Grover a Cross Country Rider from Huntington Beach, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2005

Strengths:    Light weight, simple to use, ESP (1:1) much better than Shimano.

Weaknesses:    None noted in a year of use

Bottom Line:
These have been fantastic shifters. I got these on Ebay in late summer/early fall 2004 new in box with a derraileur for less than the price of just one such new model component. These are the 1998-1999-ish models. I didn't plan it this way, but they are exactly the same ones used by DBR on other models in 1998.

For a while, I didn't appreciate the 1:1 ratio's benefits, but more time with my wife's SRAM Rockets (twist, but Shimano ratio) made me realize I like the more positive shifting with longer travel. Worry not - these still give you the ability to shift several gears at once.

What a great product! Like another reviewer (three years ago), I'm staying 8-speed as long as possible...

Favorite Trail:   Rock-It

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   SRAM Rockets, LX, Deore and STX thumb/finger rapidfires, old DX thumb/thumb rapidfire, Suntour and Shimano thumbies

Bike Setup:   1998 DBR V-Link with lots of goodies.

Submitted by jmoh a Weekend Warrior from Knoxville, IA

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2002

Strengths:    Simple, light, reliable, easy to use

Bottom Line:
This set of shifters has never let me down. I have transfered them to my second FS bike and will stay 8 speed as long as I can. I don't know why anyone would not appreciate being able to trim the front derailleur. I know a lot of people like to shift while braking and prefer the rapidfire, but I think the reliability of these shifters will keep me using grip shift for a long time.

Favorite Trail:   any singletrack

Similar Products Used:   Grip Shift 600, 400, LX rapid fire

Bike Setup:   Ellsworth Isis with XT and ESP 9.0

Submitted by Stephen Smith a Cross Country Rider from Georgetown, IL, U.S.A.

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2002

Strengths:    weight/maintenance(or lack of!) NO mis-shifts!

Bottom Line:
I have used these shifters for a few years now and have yet to find a reason to replace them!! Cable replacement is easy, set-up is easy...life with these shifters is easy! I just don't know what else you could want.

Similar Products Used:   other SRAM twisters

Bike Setup:   Fully Rigid Trek 850, fully upgraded, Avid/Easton/Truvativ/SRAM/Mavic

Submitted by jonesin a Downhiller from calgary, alberta

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2002

Strengths:    ease of use
slow to wear
fast shifts
easy to repair

Weaknesses:    snapped both barrel adjusters due to crashes. Fixed with fiberglass and epoxy! this sole reason makes SRAM the way to go!

Bottom Line:
SRAM shifting is natural and very quick. the ability to repair broken shifters due to their being plastic is spectacular. never a missshift due to holding on to the grips(as some think).

Favorite Trail:   look out

Similar Products Used:   gripshift 400 $ STX, shimano XTR rapid rise.

Bike Setup:   steel hardtail, 100mm forks, flats, 27" bars

Submitted by scorch from calgary

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2001

Strengths:    quick shifts
extremely simple
lightweight
accurate

Weaknesses:    can't brake and shift at the same time

Bottom Line:
this shifter kiks ass. Way simpler than shimano and way lighter. I love it. Especially the precise shifting even in mud. the front shifter can adjust the der to eliminate chain rub unlike shimano's barrel adjusters. Thanks to sram for making cable entry and removal easier. I can cross the whole cassette with about 1 1/2 twist and same for goin down too. Takes time to get used to not braking and shifting at the same time.

Bike Setup:   2000 rm6, 01 Jr. t, shimano xt discs, maxxis/irc tires, xt disc hubs, lx f/sram r

Submitted by Jim a Cross Country Rider from Aspen, CO

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2000

Strengths:    One twist at the top of a hill and you're ready to crank on a downhill.

Weaknesses:    Barrel adjuster is difficult to spin making on bike adjustment trickier, especially when on singletrack.

Bottom Line:
It's good but nothing exceptional. Changing a cable is extremely easy--kudos to SRAM for the design. Barrel adjuster is difficult to spin and sometimes the shifter is stiff,too. People with weak wrists may have some difficulty. LOVE the adjustability of the front; I never have to hear the chain rubbing against a derailleur guide as I've had to with Shimano's indexed system.

Favorite Trail:   Maah Daah Hey

Similar Products Used:   Grip Shift Attack 8.0

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Raven 900

Submitted by Joe D. a Cross Country Rider from West Virginia

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2000

Strengths:    downshifting on rear cassette (!!sweet!!)
works better than G/S with Shimano derailleur (i.e. Attack)

Weaknesses:    none if you like grip shift....

Bottom Line:
Bought this in a combo with SRAM 9.0 rear derailleur for upgrading a new bikewith pod shifters. Had for 2 years used a SRAM 8 speed Plasma (same basic shifter but with travel for Shimano derailleur) with a Shimano XT on my old XC bike, so this is really a comparison of the ESP shifter system between SRAM and Shimano derailleurs. The ESP system wins, hands down! Boy is the downshifting on the rear cassette silky, sweet, way different feel than with the Plasma/XT (with which I was not displeased) -- also the front shift is slightly less in angular travel and easier to turn than the Plasma -- the long twist on the front was my only real gripe with the Plasma, and I had considered leaving the click-shifter on the front....but gawd I hate click shift! I can live with this....

In comparison to the SRAM half-pipe (which I tried once on a long technical ride), I really like the older "narrow" style much better. The left (chainring) shifter on the half pipe, especially, was so sensitive that I found myself shifting inadvertently on lifts and technical moves. The narrow shifter (thumb and forefinger action) is much better for technical riding. Hope SRAM keeps it...

In these shifter reviews, it generally comes down to rider preference between grip shift and pod shifters, so the average scores don't tend to mean a lot. I'm a Grip Shift rider, for sure,and would tend to favor it in reviews. But among the 3 different grip shifts I have ridden (Plasma/Shimano, ESP with half pipe, ESP narrow), this is by far the sweetest. A clear upgrade from the Grip Shift/Shimano setup, and great for intense XC and freeride.

Buy this shifter (with the ESP 9.0 derailleur) if you know you like Grip Shift and want to optimize performance. Price is also excellent, good value. Don't worry about leaving the XT derailleur behind, the ESP works way better. You can sell the XT...

Favorite Trail:   temple mountain Utah

Similar Products Used:   1999 SRAM Plasma with XT rear (same as Attack)
2000 SRAM 9.0 ESP half-pipe with SRAM 9.0 rear

Bike Setup:   K2 1000, swapped out LX pod shifters and derailleur for this

Submitted by Diki Fenn. a Racer from haydenville, MA

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2000

Strengths:    Sweet feel
half pipe grip
never miss shifts

Weaknesses:    Advertising makes people buy the white ones which are no different they just cost more.

Bottom Line:
Sweet feelin shifters never miss shifted yet got the info before i bought the 9.0sl and waisted money for the white paint.

Similar Products Used:   crap compared these

Bike Setup:   Giant,00'9.0 shift setup,king,crosslink,this and that

Submitted by Pat Gleason a Weekend Warrior from Columbus Ohio, USA

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2000

Strengths:    Cheap, light, easy to tune

Weaknesses:    finicky in wet/muddy conditions sometimes

Bottom Line:
My new Coda disk brake levers would not let me mount optical Shimano type shifters. So in a fit of rage I went to the LBS and purchased an ESP9.0 Shifter/Der. combo. Now in the past I've been kinda pleased with GripShift, but Shimano had the edge and reliability. These new Gripshift 9.0's work extremely well, and in my opinion blow even the XTR's away. Very, very easy to setup, my only complaint is that the rear der. does not have an adjuster barrell like Shimano. He it's cheaper than XT or XTR and honestly works as good or slightly better. Skip the older style 800-900 series, they aren't near as good.

Favorite Trail:   Scioto Trails/Ohio

Similar Products Used:   Gripshift X-ray 800, Gripshift 900, XT, XTR, LX

Bike Setup:   Specialized FSR Expert, Coda Brakes, custom everything else

Submitted by Mike a Racer from London&Taiwan

Date Reviewed: October 15, 1999

Strengths:
Light weight.
Good Looks.
Easy set up

Weaknesses:
Needs lots of attention to cables.
Stops working when conditions get very muddy.

Bottom Line:
These shifters rock! They came as standard on the Giant I bought here in Taiwan and they are really good. The shifting is quick and precise. I used to use Shimano Rapid Fire but kept breaking the front shift units. Three later and the twist shift was suggested. My back home has the Sachs Power Grip Extreme married to an XTR deraileur but I think the Sram set up is superior. One problem I've had is that after very wet rides the gears seem to seize up. I'm sure the damp climate here doesn't help but you have to look after your cables. That's pretty minor really and I'd reccomend these to anyone.

Red Bull Run Wales

6 months

Sachs
Shimano.

Giant ATX890 with Rock Shocks.

Submitted by tony a Weekend Warrior from miami

Date Reviewed: May 20, 1999

Bottom Line:
incredible product! i can't understand why anyone would use rapid fire knowing that this is available. to me this is the only way to go, twist baby, twist! it's lighter, stronger, more reliable, better-cleaner design, than shimano, i cant understand why anyone would want all those levers hanging out from the bottom of their bars!

oleta river

2 Years

rapid fire

Submitted by The Old Crank a Weekend Warrior from Atlanta

Date Reviewed: April 29, 1999

Strengths:
Easy shifting, especially with winter gloves.

Weaknesses:
After 2 years, doesn't like to shift to small cog.

Bottom Line:
I was glad to see that several other people installed the shifters in reverse. I felt like a dunce when I did the same and finally went to a bike shop, only to have the mechanic tell me I had the shifters reversed. It still seems to me the ESP decals are upside down. After 2 years they are still shifting well, but I find I have to pay more attention to keeping the drive train clean, because it hesitates when shifting to the little cog.

2 Years

Shimano

Submitted by Jm a Cross-Country Rider from Oklahoma

Date Reviewed: March 27, 1999

Strengths:
Crisp shifting, light weight, trick looks.

Weaknesses:
Scratched the top of the shifters already by turning the bike upside down.

Bottom Line:
This product is awesome, super light(lighter than XTR) cheaper than XTR, great shifting. In extreme mud it goes slightly out of ajustmen, but a slight turn of the barrel ajuster fixes everything(maybe I dont got em set up quite right yet?) The action is great, no ghost shifting, precise, the non-1:1 front shifter is actually pretty good, I can ajust for chain rub now. Bottom line: Shifts as good or better than XTR, but cheaper, and lighter!

12moh(its all i got)

less than 1 month

SRT400, SRT600, SRT800

ESP 9.0 on DBR Vlink 3.0, Sachs chain, XT cassette, Sugino 700 crankset.

Submitted by Guido Kerssens a cross-country rider from the Netherlands

Date Reviewed: January 20, 1999

Bottom Line:

ESP 900 shifts smooth and very precise. Cosumer service is really great: one phonecall to the Dutch helpdesk and the lost/broken parts are replaced without a hassle (this happened to me twice).
I fitted out both my bikes with ESP and I love it. It is a pitty the Shimano dictates the market....a 9 speed cassette with a 34 cog, who needs that? So don't ask for a lightweight 11-28, 8 speed cassette in a few weeks, cause they don't want it anymore!
We want more affortdable alternatives for the S-compagny! Five stars for the reliability and services from SRAM

Submitted by Sherman a weekend warrior from British Columbia, Canada

Date Reviewed: December 24, 1998

Bottom Line:

I got this shift system on my Specialized FSR. I think they are pretty good for gripshifters. I have always been a big fan of rapid fire but I find that these shifters are pretty nice. They don't accidentally shift like I thought that they would and the setup is pretty simple. Cable changes are a snap with the easy access hole. I have also broken a shifter arm on rapid fires and banged my knees numerous times on them and the design if gripshifters are greatly appreiciated. It is always great to have an alternative shift system rather then always using Shimano. I am glad that SRAM has provided that alternative.