Home | Reviews | Shifter | SRAM

• All conditions Attack grip cover

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Kevin Setter a Weekend Warrior from Winnipeg, Manitoba

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2001

Strengths:    Looks cool, easy & simple to use, comfortable, Front derailleur system is WAY superior to Shi*mano's, cheap (they came with their own grips)

Weaknesses:    Ummm.....the barrel of the shifter is inboard on the handlebar and if you're the kind of rider who likes to grip your handlebar near the ends, then you might not like these.

Bottom Line:
    It's been a while now since I put these on my bike, but I still remember the first time I rode with them. WOW!!! It was so smooth and adjustable. It sounds like a commercial, but it really was as if I was riding a different bike. It even felt faster...I've had absolutely no trouble with these shifters - ever. What a bargain!! I wonder what they'd shift like if I could afford XTR derailleurs?? Anyway, I'd buy these again in a heartbeat. And they DO come in black despite the fact that every picture i've seen of them shows them as "orange".

Favorite Trail:   one that isn't too swampy

Purchased At:   Olympia Cycle & Ski, Wpg., Man.

Similar Products Used:   Old Shi*mano SIS type shifters (ugh)
    Test rode some rapid-fire shifters (ugh)

Bike Setup:   8-speed Plasma shifters, generic cables, LX hollow-tech crankset, LX front & rear derailleur, XT cassette, Sachs chain (i forget the #) and one of those little doo-hickeys that attaches to the end of your rear derailleur cables.

Submitted by Blake a Cross Country Rider from Bellingham, WA

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2001

Strengths:    Quick, easy shifting. Reliable. Works well with XTR/XT Component setup.

Weaknesses:    Sometimes misses front 3 drlr, but performs great otherwise

Bottom Line:
    First time I've used grip shifts...before only Shimano Rapids and I think these are great...highly recommended.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano rapid fire.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale F1000, XTR/XT rear-front, Avid Arch Rival brakes, all Cannondale crankset, headshock fork...your basic CAAD 4 Cannondale

Submitted by Rob a Cross Country Rider from MS

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2000

Strengths:    Shimano-compatable twist shifting that works.
    On-the-fly-tuning keeps front deraileur from scrubbing.
    The cable hatch is a Good Thing.
    Tough as nails.

Weaknesses:    Only 90% as good as a full-up ESP system.
    Didn't come with a sticker to put on my car next to the Apple logo.

Bottom Line:
    I like twist-shifting, period. You may like triggers -- not that there's anything wrong with it -- some of my best friends use RF's. But I like twisters. Problem: new bike came stock with LX RF's driving XT rear & LX front derails. I had several options to get this new bike shifting right: swap it all over to my old 8 speed ESP system, put on new 9 speed ESP, learn to live with RF's (naaaah), or slap on some Plasmas and go ride.

The Plasma option was the easiest and cheapest, and so far it's working out fine. They talk to my Shimano XT & LX stuff a lot better than the X-Rays I used to use Back In The Day (and that wasn't all that bad either). No, it doesn't shift *quite* as well as the dialed-in 8 speed ESP 9.0 on my old bike, but this could be the difference between 8 & 9 speeds, or maybe a different chain, or... well it's pretty minor.

Bottom line: if you've got to have twisters and are building up a bare frame, go with an ESP system from the start. But if you're standing in your LBS thinking "this bike would be perfect, if it just had twisters I'd buy it", get the shop to trade out for Plasmas and go ride. It'll work fine.

Favorite Trail:   Clear Springs

Similar Products Used:   Several permutations of 8 speed X-Rays shifting XT & LX derails; 8 speed ESP 9.0

Bike Setup:   near-stock STP 200 (XT rear, LX front derails)

Submitted by iain a Downhiller from manchester

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2000

Strengths:    fine shifting
    lightweight
    good feel
    easy to set up/change cable
    cheaper than shimano
    available singly for downhillers like me

Weaknesses:    none really

Bottom Line:
    The are really nice shifters. I initially bought the pair so I can definately say that they are both really good. The soft tacky grip is grippy all the time and won't give you nasty blister unless you're really soft. Sometimes they are a bit slippy in the pouring rain but then everything is.

They also work with shimano mechs (which are cheaper).

Stonking really - if you like gripshift and you want 8spd (as all good bikes should) than these are for you.

Favorite Trail:   sligachan

Similar Products Used:   other gripshift and XTs

Bike Setup:   azonic rc37 mavic hopes

Submitted by Raf a Cross Country Rider from Singapore

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2000

Strengths:    Good grip and simple design, perhaps fool-proof

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
    These shifters are much better than Shimano. Period.
    They are tougher than the other SRAM models.
    Get 'em if you want something that last and almost
    bombproof and they are cheap as well. US$40

Favorite Trail:   Bukit Timah

Similar Products Used:   Older Gripshift

Bike Setup:   Sintesi, Xt der, XTR hubs, CODA crankset, XT BB

Submitted by Mark a Cross Country Rider from San Jose, CA

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2000

Strengths:    Light weight, smooth shifts, easy to use, inexpensive

Weaknesses:    NONE!!!

Bottom Line:
    I rode the 800 X-ray's since about '95. I upgraded to the 9.0's recently when I found cracking on my x-ray's. The difference is huge. The 9.0's are so much smoother and easier to shift. I've used rapidfire (still do on my commuter bike), and I find Gripshift to be much better. This was definatly a worthwhile upgrade.

Favorite Trail:   Any forrest singletrack

Similar Products Used:   Gripshift X-ray, rapidfire

Bike Setup:   M2 Stumpjumper. Gripshift, Avid, XT derailers

Submitted by Joe Ruggless a Cross Country Rider from 39256 Arrowhead Court

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2000

Strengths:    Positive shifting, easy to setup and adjust. Looks good, less clutter than a rapid fire set up.

Weaknesses:    None!!!!

Bottom Line:
    Awsome. This peice of hardware made riding my bike so much more enjoyable. I was using a grip shifter on an inexpensibe mongoose that I ride around work, (big facility)and liked it. But was afraid to make the jump, on my high dollar bike because of performance concerns. Read a whole bunch of articles that said, rapid fir is the best. Pro's say rapid fire is the only way to go. Well, I finally bit the bullet, and bought the highest end shifter that I could find, the Plasma Grip shift and I want to tell you that I am not dissipointed at all. These things are hot. I just purchased a brand new Specialized FSR enduro Pro. It won't be long before I install a set of Plasma grip shifts on it.

Favorite Trail:   My Owen

Similar Products Used:   Lesser quality shift grips.

Bike Setup:   Iron Horse hardtail, XT/XT, Bomber forks, Wheels, headset all Ringle.

Submitted by J (froggy) Laflamme a Cross Country Rider from Toronto

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2000

Strengths:    Simple design is less prone to breakage
    'Snoopy's nose' is the only mechanical part.
    Micro Adjust on the Front shifter
    It Locks onto the next gear
    Shifts well under load

Weaknesses:    Large grip diameter (can get used to)
    Had to replace my 98 LX levers (too short, wanted Avids anyway)
    The cable replacement isn't that great.

Bottom Line:
    I got these when my RF front shifter bit the biscuit. Since they were priced as much as 98 LX pods, I decided it was time for a change.

Since I removed the derailleur to ride in the big ring I had to reinstall it. Did what I consider a half-@ss job. It and the rear derailleur hit the shifts dead on. No adjustment of the barrels. A Shimano setup after changing cables is ALWAYS finicky.

It forced me into switching to Avids. They aren't long enough but better than the stubby LX levers.

The larger grip surface is going to take a while to get used to. After years I developed the shimano grip (middle brake, index and thumb shifter), this doesn't feel the same.

The Straight Dope.
    These shifters are far more accurate than the LX shifters. The front has 2-3 extra detents between gears, allowing you to fine tune the front a la thumbies. And the rear is a solid shift,it drops the gear right on demand. There is ZERO chain dance while the derailleur stalls. This was a problem with the LX (but they were worn after 3 years)

The cable replacement isn't fool proof. There's some edge that the new cables can catch on. But they include a second hatch so that you can feed and lube.

Will I don't like the stationary grip the precise shifting is sweet. The is WAY better than the older GS, which I hated

Similar Products Used:   SRT 400, 800 X rays,LX pods,RF, RF+,...thumbies...

Bike Setup:   Mantra, 5 inch fork, XT drivetrain, Nightcrawlers

Submitted by Scott a Racer from Ohio

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2000

Strengths:    Lightweight, looks, price, PERFORMANCE!

Weaknesses:    C'mon!

Bottom Line:
    Did I mention PERFORMANCE? I was a litle skeptical making the switch since I learned on thumbies but am I ever glad I did. The shifting is dead on and the micro adjust front is outstanding. They shift better under load and, unlike my Shimano's, I can shift several gears at once. The simplicity is another big plus. Easy to setup and adjust. I know I'll never go back. Might be the best $40 I've put into my bike. Flaming turds all around for SRAM!

By the way, these are the 2000 Attacks, I am reviewing. MTBR won't include them in the review page for some reason so I throw 'em in here since they are the same.

Similar Products Used:   LX, XT

Bike Setup:   XT/XTR drivetrain

Submitted by Brian a Cross Country Rider from Indianapolis

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2000

Strengths:    Smooth shifting, good price and quality, easy to use and set up

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
    Just upgraded from the old X-Rays. The plasmas shift very quickly and smooth compared to the X-rays, the grips felt a bit uncomfortable at first, but I think I'll get use to them. I think its one of the best shifters out there, and for $45 bucks, its affordable.

Similar Products Used:   Gripshift X-Ray

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Paragon, Sun Ringle RPM Lite wheelset, Avid 50's w/2.0 levers, LX Hollowtech Cranks

Submitted by Agent Z a Downhiller from Norcal

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2000

Strengths:    Very nice grip
    Smooth shifting
    Reliable
    Easy cable changing/lubing
    Looks cool
    Lightweight
    Simple - no parts to break

Weaknesses:    The "quick" cable changing may not be so quick at times. I had to fiddle around with it for awhile, but it was still much better than older gripshifters and Rapidfire systems.

Bottom Line:
    This shifter shifts very well - no misshifts. It is also very simple, therefore will not break easily. The cable hatch makes cable ghanges a breeze.

The grip was designed by geniuses. It's soft on your hand, but will not slip!

Favorite Trail:   Mammoth Bullet

Similar Products Used:   Gripshift X-ray 800

Bike Setup:   GT STS 1000 set up for slalom

Submitted by Scott a Cross Country Rider from Durango, CO

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2000

Strengths:    Price ($45 + a set of grips)
    Ease of maintaince and setup
    Precise shifts
    Better design on the grips than older Grip shift products,

Weaknesses:    Tend to shift down one gear on accident on extremely rough and/or rocky terrian at high speeds. Also, when I upgrades to the 8.0 shifters from the 600 series ones, I was using 1998 LX levers that were too short for the wider 8.0 shifters, they put my hand at an awkward angle and I couldn't reach the levers well. I had to upgrade to XT or XTR levers, which I wanted to do anyway but I think the newer 9 speed LX levers solve this problem.

Bottom Line:
    I've ridden other bikes with the rapidfire shifting system, and hate it. I've had them for over a year and haven't ever had a problem with them, haven't even felt the need to service them, they work so well. These shifters are a great upgrade from the older 600 and 800 series shifters because of the new cable hatch and the redesigned attack grip cover is more durable and comfortable on rides. I agree w/ Steve, I've got Oury grips instead of the standard ones that come with the shifters, but hey, they're free. That brings up another point, for only $45 dollars, these things sure beat the hell out of XT pods that run just under $70 plus you get a decent set of grips with them and extra cable hatch covers. What else could you expect from SRAM, they get high marks for customer satisfaction from me. Five flaming things for the unbeatable price, but four on overall rating because of the occasional shifting problems (probably my fault) and the compatibility problem with older levers.

Similar Products Used:   Gripshift 600 series shifters (8spd)

Bike Setup:   1998 Litespeed Obed, Gripshift 8.0 shifters w/ Mega-9 XT r. derailleur & XTR f. derailleur, 8spd XT cassette and XTR levers

Submitted by Steve a Weekend Warrior from Mountain View, CA

Date Reviewed: November 18, 1999

Strengths:
    Mine are actaully 8.0 attacks, but since they are identical to the Plasma, this seemed a better place to put in a long term review. After 2 years, the shifters are working as well as the day I put them on (2-3 rides a week). I probably should take them apart some day and relube them, but it's hard to get motivated when they still work so well.One thing I like about gripshift is the way they repositioned my Avid levers. I was at first concerned because they are so far inboard compared to the rapid-fire setup, but that actually turned out to be an advantage. The inboard position means I'm using the end, rather than the middle of the lever, which provides much greater leverage - I typically use just one finger to brake, althought I can easily use two if necessary.

Weaknesses:
    I didn't care for the feel or length of the grips that came with the shifters - I opted for some Oury grips cut about 1/2 inch longer. While mine have never come off, it's a good idea to put a little tape over the cable hatch on the chainring side. While the cassette side has a set screw to prevent the cable from poking the hatch, the chainring side for some odd reason does not.

Bottom Line:
    No complaints at all so far. I'll put these on my next bike.

2 Years

Rapid Fire

Specialized M2, XT 8-speed derailleurs

Submitted by Sean C. a Cross-Country Rider from Houston, TX

Date Reviewed: October 8, 1999

Strengths:
    Stay tuned...trying compared to Rapidfire

Weaknesses:
    Well, already ticked about brake lever length issue since grip shifters go inside the brake lever and rapidfire goes outside...
    IE MY $100 Pair of Avid Ultimate L(s) are TOO SHORT and now having to order $70 Paul Long Levers! DOH!

Bottom Line:
    To Be Continued...Five for now for initial impressions of quality and ease of installation.
    Stay tuned for further review once I've adjusted and gotten my levers.

bluffcreek ranch

less than 1 month

Rapidfire aint all that similar now is it?

Giant XTC Se2 Frame

Submitted by Al L. a Cross-Country Rider from North Attleboro, Ma.

Date Reviewed: October 8, 1999

Strengths:
    Quick, precise shifting every time. Simple design with easy maintenance. The perfect match for Shimano derailers.

Weaknesses:

Bottom Line:
    The first thing I did when I purchased my new Stumpjumper was to trade-off the LX shifters for these twisters. I have tried many previous Sram products but these are the best match to Shimano to date with performance just as good as ESP systems. Sram has come a long way to produce a simple, affordable, and durable product.

Foxboro

6 months

Gripshift 800 Xrayw/LX
    Gripshift STR 600w/LX
    Sram ESP 7.0
    Sram ESP 9.0

99 Stumpjumper FSR XC with LX/XT.