Home | Reviews | Shifter | SRAM

SRAM 1998 Attack Shifter

4.38/5 (50 Reviews)
Weight : 157 g MSRP : $52.00

• 8 and 9 speed compatible
  • index and micro-adjust front shifter options
  • Half pipe grip length also available

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by andthereyouare a Cross Country Rider from Bear, Delaware

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2004

Strengths:    Quick and precise shifting, easy re-greasing, lighter than Shimano's trigger shifters.

Weaknesses:    Mine came as half-pipe version, which takes up alot of room on the bars. So I cut them down a bit. You can't even tell.

Bottom Line:
    I ride with a couple of peeps that swear by the trigger shifters... Not me, the Attack shifters are great to bad the are dirt old. I don't care about the "See-Through" window for the gear indicator, I have no time to gaze at the shifters while I'm flying down a trail. If they shift when I need them to shift then they are perfect for me.

I'm looking to move to the Shorty Rockets, next. We'll see how that goes.

Favorite Trail:   Fairhill, MD

Similar Products Used:   Simano triggers.

Bike Setup:   Klein Attitude Race, Rock Shox Sid Race... Basically dialed up for some serious XC riding.

Submitted by tony a Weekend Warrior from ny

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2004

Strengths:    cheap, simple construction, crisp shifting, multiple shifts with single action

Weaknesses:    cable hatch easily lost

Bottom Line:
    reluctant at first bec i used shimano for over 10 years, got a deal and thought i'd give it a try. huge difference, crisp shifting because the grip acts directly on the cable not with a lever like shimano. in effect a smaller movement is required with the sram to shift gears which makes it feel more precise. takes a few rides to get used to the movement required to make shifts, but once you are there are no miss shifts. multiple shifts with single action is great for single track with many rolling hills close together.

Similar Products Used:   shimano

Bike Setup:   khs, xt/xtr components, sram shifters and chain

Submitted by A Gregori a Cross Country Rider from California

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2003

Strengths:    The shifters are very fast and smooth

Weaknesses:    They take up bar space

Bottom Line:
    The Sram Attacks work. They seem smoother than most of the Shimano shifters I've used, they are very fast. They are compatable with both front and rear XT derailers. Great product.

Purchased At:   On line

Similar Products Used:   Cheap Sram and Shimano XT

Bike Setup:   1997 GT Aggressor, Manitou Sx-R forks, Caramba Bouble Barrel Craks XT f/r deraillers, Rhyno lite rims Kooka Rings

Submitted by Harvey Fujimoto a Weekend Warrior from Wheat Ridge, CO

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2001

Strengths:    These shifters work quickly, positively, and cleanly. My first exposure to Grip Shift was the 8-speed X-Rays on my Dean Ti (which my 16-year old stepson now rides), and I found twist-shifting highly-preferable to thumbshifters and both old and new Rapidfire.

Weaknesses:    The only thing I can think of is possible accidental shifting, although after observing my stepson continually mishift the above-mentioned Dean (which I don't recall having as many mishaps he he!), I believe it is due to gripping the bar with too much of the shifter barrel in hand. Myself, I slide completely off the shifter barrel EXCEPT when I am shifting. Because of this, I would NOT recommend going with the Half-Pipe version of this shifter.

Bottom Line:
    Get these shifters if you want fast, clean, convenience shifting!

Purchased At:   Wheat Ridge Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Gripshift X-Ray

Bike Setup:   Intense Tracer with XT/Sid 100/Mavic 517 ano

Submitted by D Sims a Cross Country Rider from Greensboro

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2001

Strengths:    Reliable. It allows for increment shifting to eliminate derailure rub

Weaknesses:    when I wreck I alway seem to wrench the shifter all the way to one end and when I start back I need to put it in the right geer

Bottom Line:
    I have had these shifters for two years and they have been fine. Sram has also made it easy to change out the cable when needed. I enjoy being able to make minor adjustments to the derailur to get it to stop rubbing. From my experience with Shimano rapid fire when you have the rear derailur all the way to one end you have to put up with that annoying rubbing sound. These shifters have been on three different bikes that I owned and they are still functioning like the day I bought them

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   shimano shifters, sram 6.0

Bike Setup:   all xt and mavic rims

Submitted by Andreas Klauser a Cross Country Rider from Feldafing

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2001

Strengths:    low weight, logic function, nice shape

Bottom Line:
    Use the SRAM Attack 8.0 on my second hard tail (with Gore ride Ons), in combination with Shimano XT. The shifting is not quite as precise as with shimano xtr (which I use on my other bike), especially with the chain rings, where shimano xtr is definitly super. In spite of this I love the SRAM attacks. If you want to shift more than one gear at a time, the thing moves very fast indeed. The function is logic, the design is nicer than the clumsy xtr shifters by far, the handle bar tidy. The SRAM go very well with the Maguras, another clear advantage. And they endure. The next thing I'll try instead of the xtr on my other bike is the SRAM shorties.

Purchased At:   rabe/munich

Bike Setup:   Hot Chili Zymotic, Marzocchi Bomber Atom 80, SRAM Attack 8.0, Magura Quick Silver, rest Shimano XT, Mavic Ceramic

Submitted by Dave a Weekend Warrior from Georgia

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2001

Strengths:    Easy. Just a superior design to thumb shifters, no doubt about it. Why would you want to press a button 8 times to downshift when you can make 1 single twist. I can't figure out how rapidfire users like that better, seems silly to me. These shifters are johnny-on-the-spot with every shift. They are a nice low profile design that is very easy to disassemble and assemble. Silly rapidfire users.....

Weaknesses:    They don't shift for you.

Bottom Line:
    If you like pressing buttons a lot, go with shimano. I personally got tired of that crap, now when I want to shift, I have only to make a single motion. I don't have to loosen my thumbs grip on the bar to put it on the button. Buy the Attack shifters and forget about it.

Similar Products Used:   XT Rapidfire,

Submitted by Mike a Weekend Warrior from San Diego

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2001

Strengths:    Great shifting with my Shimano XT deraillers, Nice to be able to fine-adjust front derailler (unlike Rapidfire), takes abuse and keeps on going, good grips (an improvement over previous Gripshift models).

Weaknesses:    Haven't found one yet.

Bottom Line:
    When I built up a new bike a couple years ago, a LBS mechanic recommended these. I had been happily using Rapidfire for a few years previously, but I was curious how
    the improved Gripshift worked. I decided to give them a try; I could always switch back to Rapidfire.

Well the Rapidfires are still sitting in a box in my closet.
    The Attacks shift great, are more adjustable, especially on the front. The grips are comfortable & I've never mis-shifted using them (unlike with a set of half-pipe shifters I tried. Those are step backward, SRAM. Get rid of them!!) I've never had to mess with them, not even change a cable in 2 years.

Great shifting, durable, easy on the hands, with no maintenance. What more could you want? A great product!

Similar Products Used:   Older Gripshifts, Shimano Rapidfire

Bike Setup:   Jamis Dakar Team

Submitted by John B a Weekend Warrior from Urbana, Illinois

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2000

Strengths:    They are the Energizer bunny of the shifter world.

Weaknesses:    Function great. I need to take apart the right one to change cables due to the material it's made out of deforming. For three years old, not a big deal.

Bottom Line:
    These shifters after almost three years still work like the first day I put them on. I'm going to use them until Shimano's planned obsolense program forces me to go to nine speed. The rubber grip part is relatively durable. I replace them when I do a cable change, about once a year. I'm using Goretex cables and like to change then annually, although after a year they are still shifting fine. Why wait for a problem to happen. I'm glad to see for 2001 SRAM went with a teathered cable hatch. I've lost a few as well as others I know have. In the same amount of time, I've gone through three sets of rabid fires. Great product.

Favorite Trail:   Waldo Canyon

Purchased At:   Don't remember

Similar Products Used:   Rabid fires. LX's, XT,s and XTR.

Bike Setup:   Dean Colonel, Atom Bomb and ultra light everything.

Submitted by Dave a Racer from Victoria, BC

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2000

Strengths:    Light, durable, minimal maintenance.

Weaknesses:    Performance quickly deteriorates with dirty shifter cable.

Bottom Line:
    I have used the SRAM Attack for three racing seasons and they still work great. The shifter itself is decently well sealed so muddy rides are not a problem and I have yet to have to take the shifters apart. My only gripe is that there is a large increase in shifting effort when the shifter cable/housing becomes even mildly contaminated.

I have been using the shifter with Gore Ride-On cables and a Shimano XTR rapid rise rear derailleur. For the 1% of riders who actually liked rapid rise, the shifters work very well with this system. Although Gore cables can be prohibitively expensive, I have not had to do any maintenance on my shifting for over a year now.

I've used Rapidfire in the past and I think that it is a great system. However, IMHO, people with smaller hands may find Gripshift a little easier to use.

Essentially, this is a very light, simple, and durable shifter that you can probably buy for a good price from any mail-order company. Also, its a good option for those of us who are trying to stay with 8-speed for as long as possible.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT, Gripshift X-Ray.

Submitted by VooDoo Child a Cross Country Rider from TN

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2000

Strengths:    Cheap, works great, eight-speed compatible, did I say cheap

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
    Got these shifters when I was building back up my old frame with a limited amount of money. So these are used on my "second" bike, which I actually plan on riding most of the time to save the abuse on my race bike. I really like the way these shift and have to say that the way you can tune the left hand shifter is making me consider putting a twist shifter on my race bike.

Favorite Trail:   Tsali

Purchased At:   PerformanceBike

Similar Products Used:   shimano xt

Bike Setup:   Running these shifters with xt rear and lx front derailuers

Submitted by Sycoholic a Cross Country Rider from NJ

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2000

Strengths:    stiff shifting, precision

Weaknesses:    not hydraulic....still needs a cable

Bottom Line:
    I love 'em. It was $30 to add them to the bike instead of the rapid fires. I prefer the ease of being able to run through multiple gears quicker than with rapid fires and not having to take fingers off the grips. They are stiff to shift, which translates into no accidental shifting in rough terrain. Not hard to shift, but stiff.... I love 'em, recommend them, and would buy them again.

Purchased At:   Halters

Similar Products Used:   grip shift junk, tbpro junk, and rapidfires

Bike Setup:   XCR-3000 with Avid Disc Brakes (mechanical)

Submitted by Rickg a Cross Country Rider from Orange, California, US

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2000

Strengths:    - Shifts much better than its predecessor (XRay)
    - Easy maintenance
    - Light weight

Weaknesses:    - Not as crisp as Rapid Fire shifters
    - Rear shifting is sometimes a little too sensitive
    - The half-pipe version of this shifter just flat out blows

Bottom Line:
    Against my better judgment, I purchased the half-pipe version of these shifters, which is the same as the standard except that the shifter extends out an extra 1.5 inches or so. The problems that I had with these shifters was partly a simple matter of preference and partly just flat out bad design. As the name [half-pipe] implies, half of the grip is the shifter, the other half is a short standard type grip but the shifter part is bulky, so you wind up with a real fat grip (opposite of what I prefer). Also, as one might imagine, when the terrain gets tough, it becomes distracting to keep from inadvertently shifting. I finally got frustrated and took a hacksaw to these over-extended babies, slapped on a good pair of Pedro's Slimwall grips, and am now happy to report that these shifters work great. Bottom line is that I recommend these shifters except that if you get the half-pipe version, make sure you have something to cut these nasty things down. I would give less than 2 chilis for the half-pipe version.

Similar Products Used:   XRay...

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Heckler

Submitted by Dave Ortiz a Racer from Farmington.NM

Date Reviewed: May 20, 1999

Strengths:
    Accurate shifting,light,
    easy cable change.
    No more greasy hands!

Weaknesses:
    A little stiff on shifting but not a major
    problem.

Bottom Line:
    I've been using these Attacks for almost 2 years
    and continue to give me the reliability that a racer requires.A good upgrade from the 800 X rays
    I used to use.Shorter shifts and easy cable changes from this newer model.I'm staying with
    8 gears since the 9 has no real advantage in speed
    (34t is useless unless you are a beginner).
    5 flaming turds for an improved product from SRAM.

Colorado trail-Durango

2 Years

SR-600s,800 X-rays

Airborne Lucky strike,
    Manitou SX-ti,Crossmax
    Wheels.

Submitted by Stumpy a Cross-Country Rider from Denver, CO

Date Reviewed: May 7, 1999

Strengths:
    Simple, durable

Weaknesses:
    None yet

Bottom Line:
    These shifters have performed reliably under a variety of conditions. I upgraded to these from X-Rays after 3 yrs of heavy use. Love the positive detentes and the ergonomic design of the grip! If you're not rabid one way or the other, rapidfire vs gripshift, I'd recommend giving the Attacks a try. Five piles of steamy goodness!!

Elk Meadow, Porky