Shimano XTR ST-M975 Shifter

3.67/5 (3 Reviews)

• Dual Control Lever for disc brake
  • Instant release for quicker shifts
  • Multi-release allows two-gear shifts
  • Compact design for lighter weight
  • SIS-SP41 cable casing system

Submitted by jstrails a Racer from ocala, fl. USA

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2010

Strengths:    smooth shifting

Weaknesses:    if cables get to dirty it gets a little harder to shift down. So stay on top of cleaning your bike.

Bottom Line:
I have been using these shifters a long time and love them. Easy to shift and easy to brake. When I first started using them it took me a couple of rides to get use to them, but after that it was a piece of cake. There is no hesitation on the shifting like some other shifters I have used in the past. I don't know why some people can't use them. They have never squeaked on any of the bikes I have owned.

Favorite Trail:   gooseberry mesa, utah

Purchased At:   on line

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher HiFi 2008 xtr shifters, xt derailleurs

Submitted by Norman a Cross Country Rider from East coast Canada

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2010

Strengths:    Beautiful light-action shift feel.

Weaknesses:    There is a small lever that allows you to use your thumb to shift into a lower gear. Depending on your position, it can bang your thumb when you're holding the grips. It can easily be removed. I took it off my old shifters, haven't decided yet whether I will leave it on the new setup.

Bottom Line:
I rode XTR dual control shifters for five years on my last bike, and loved them so much I got them again on my new bike. They're precise, reliable and super-light action. However, you must run them with a low normal rear derailleur to get the best performance. My old ones were still shifting as well as ever after five years, including getting plowed into the mud more than once. Once you get used to shifting with the brake lever it's totally intuitive and there is no problem shifting under any conditions. I test rode a bike with XT Rapid Fire, and I much prefer the shift action of the dual control. In particular, the combination of dual control and a low-normal derailleur makes shifting into an easier gear totally effortless. I expect XT dual control would be great as well - I think it's the dual control aspect I love, rather than the XTR - but I've never actually tried the XT version.

(Another review mentioned problems with braking. I've never had braking problems with these shifters or my old ones. I suspect the other reviewer's problem might be with the brakes, not the shifters.)

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Blur Carbon XC

Submitted by Like2Byte a Cross Country Rider from Ft Wayne, IN, USA

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2010

Strengths:    Adjustable lever distance. Shifter are good.

Weaknesses:    Poor stopping power. Uni-body design locks rider in to poor brake performance. Brakes squeal with new or used brake pads (Even replaced the disks...still squeals!

Bottom Line:
Only one of the (four) shops I've used have been able to properly fill the lines and provide adequate stopping power. The hydraulic line recently broke, they fixed it and the brakes no longer provides enough stopping power. Now I have to go back and beg that they perform the voodoo that they do to get the power back. Maybe if I sacrifice a Gary Fisher ride...

Oh, and the squealing. No sneaking up on small mammals with these babies.
I'd expect a lot better stopping power for $550 brakes.

Purchased At:   Summit City Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, Haynes brakes.

Bike Setup:   2005 Cannondale Prophet 2000, All XT Components, carbon fiber Lefty