Shimano XTR Shifters Shifter

4.39/5 (112 Reviews)

The Shimano XT SL-M780-I 10 Rapidfire Plus shifters easily convert to either a double or triple crankset mode with the simple turn of a screw on the left shifter. The shifters are mounted directly to the brakelevers using Shimano's Ispec technology. Unique 2-way cable release accommodates individual riding styles or shifting (index finger or thumb.)

Submitted by xmessenger

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2013

Strengths:    Feel, build quality, and shifts.

Weaknesses:    Price?

Bottom Line:
Where are all the reviews for the latest 10 speed XTR?...Heres mine after a brief time.
They do feel quite crisp which is different from the Shimano I'd known way back(my XT in 99). Definately not vague. They feel very well made and are still made in Japan as far as I know which is assuring. Funny, adjusting using the barrels on the shifter(nolonger on the derailleur) I must turn allot more to make a differance which must be the new actuation ratio. I like this as it seems to make fine adjustments easier and keep the derailleur aligned better basicly making Shimano allot less finicky than in the past which really was about the only criticism over Sram.
I am really happy. I really like the double upshifts and its quick. The down shifts of course again are spot and and feel crisp. Zero sloppyness or play. I will say this. My other bike which was my only bike for the lsat decade is an old 1992 Rocky Team Comp, a sweet light steel rigid built up with higher end 90s era stuff and honestly the Suntour XC thumb shifters are equally fast at shifting, if not faster due to the fact they can instantly drop any number of gears in any direction, they are also ergonomic despite what you may pisture in your mind using your thumb to push and the outer edge of your hand/index finger to pull you never let go of the bars and its very easy...if you used them. Just find it amusing how so overly complex and heavy these things are after all these years and really the Suntours are better in many ways than any shifter out there. Keepin it real.

Submitted by SimpleJon a Cross Country Rider from Singapore

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2011

Strengths:    Looks great, easy to dial with XT 9 speed gearset, smooth and effortless shifting, light weight

Weaknesses:    Price

Bottom Line:
I actually wanted the XT shifters but no stock so splashed out on the XTR 9 speed I am pretty glad I did on balance. The precise and instantaneous shifting with Jagwire Ripcord is a significant improvement from the LX 9 speed shifters they replaced, it is very useful to go from top to bottom gear in two or three clicks. The adjustable levers are another great feature allowing perfect placement with the brake levers. I have also never understood the purpose of the indicator windows on shimano shifters these are thankfully missing. I do think they are over priced, I don't know how two little metal and plastic pods can cost $180! Also I didn't give 5 chillies because I haven't used them for long yet so can't comment on the reliability.

Favorite Trail:   Chang Mai

Similar Products Used:   Shimano LX 9 speed, SL-R770 flatbar road shifters, X7, XT

Bike Setup:   Temporary old HRXC frame (soon to be Orbea Occam), XT gearset, magura marta magnesium SL,ZTR Hope Pro II Hubs, racing ralphs, Fox F 100mm

Submitted by Hasse a Cross Country Rider from Genarp, Sweden

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2010

Strengths:    Shifting, looks, adjustability (but maybe not enough)

Weaknesses:    STUPID positioning of the bar clamp bolt, price

Bottom Line:
On the first ride I hit my kneecap hard on the mounting bolt. It happened two times. On the 770 and 760s the bolt is hidden and more smooth.

Purchased At:   www.mountainbikes.ne

Similar Products Used:   XT 770, XT 760, older XT, LX

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Blur XCc 2010, SID WC, DT240 + Notubes ZTR355, XTR Cranks w FRM 2x9 conversion, Formula R1,

Submitted by mnjason a Racer from MN

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2010

Strengths:    Quick, durable, quality. Love the double-push & bi-direction on the "finger" shifter.

Weaknesses:    softer push than SRAM

Bottom Line:
these shifters are unbelievable. I actually have them setup with a rapid-rise derailleur and love using my thumb to push the lever once/twice for downshift.
These shift fast (instant release) and smoothly. They don't have the crisper feel of the SRAM, but that's subjective.

Finally, the ability to adjust the lateral location on the bar is great: allowing a tighter or more open feel with the lever.

Similar Products Used:   XT, XTR dual control, X.9

Bike Setup:   scott scale ltd

Submitted by BokorSolo a Cross Country Rider from Prince William, VA, USA

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2009

Strengths:    Got these for a great deal, double click to upshift, two big sweeps can drop you down to 1st gear. Lightweight enough and works great.

Weaknesses:    Price under normal circumstances.

Bottom Line:
This is a review for the SL-M970 Series of Shimano Shifters.

These are awesome shifters. I would recommend these to anyone looking for a great pair of shifters. They shift like butter and work great on my XT hardware. I love these shifters.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT shifters

Submitted by Fritz Lehr a Cross Country Rider from Raleigh

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2008

Strengths:    Light, 4 shifts in one direction and 2 in the other, shifts quick, you can use your thumb or finger now to shift forward trigger, easy to re-cable, some right to left on the bar adjustability

Weaknesses:    Very rarely it will not shift as if trigger is not catching, seems to be much more sensitive to cables as I have to replace them more often, the price is very high(Shimano XTR and SRAM XO)

Bottom Line:
This is for XTR M970 Shifter Pods. These are great shifters, but they are sensitive to cable wear. Much more so than my older XT and XTR shifters. The XTR R. Derailler may be partly to blame as the spring on it seems to be weaker and I am using a medium cage instead of a long cage. Not sure what affect that may have on shifting. I will say I like it better thant he SRAM XO, but the SRAM stuff seems great too. The SRAM XO seems to shift more deliberately, but the return spring for trigger seems slow and the shifting seemed just slightly slower than the new XTR stuff. Also, the one gear at a time on the second XO trigger is annoying and it seems you have to push through a longer range of motion to get the XO to shift. Honestly, I like the XTR better, but I could be happy with either one. If it were not for SRAM, I would probably have to use the crappy Shimano dual control stuff.

Favorite Trail:   Raleigh

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   SRAM XO (demoed), Shimano XT Dual control(demoed), Old Shimano XT and XTR shift pods 9sp, 8sp and 7sp.

Bike Setup:   2003 Santa Cruz Blur (Classic), Marzocchi Marathon Fork, 2007 XTR Shifter, Cranks and R. Derailler, XT Disc brake the old 4 piston design, XTR Hubs, Mavic 317s

Submitted by Oscar Katz a Racer from Surrey, UK

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2007

Strengths:    Shifting 4 gears with one press and 2 with one click. Feel bombproof.

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
Fantastic. Super-precise. I didn't think the ability to shift 2 gears with one click would be much use but it's awesome.

Similar Products Used:   XT

Bike Setup:   Scott Scale, XTR

Submitted by Gerald Badoz a Weekend Warrior from Orlando, FL, USA

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2007

Strengths:    Fit, form, and funtion. Design, adjustability, looks, and weight. Shifting options...

Bottom Line:
Bottom line is that these shifter pods are freakin amazing!! The way they look on the handle bar and the option to shift 1, 2, 3, or 4 gears at a time is incredible!!! I don't know what else to say... I find myself rushing home just to ride my bike. XTR has made my ride that much more enjoyable!! Also since its most made out of aluminum, I expect it to last a very long time...
You can't go wrong with XTR!!!!

Favorite Trail:   Jones Trail

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Shimano Deore

Bike Setup:   2004 Raleigh Ram 2.0 with full XTR, RockShox 318 Tora and Rear SID, Avid Juicy Carbons, Truvativ Team Carbon Riser, Cane Creek Solo head set, Titec Pluto Carbon seat post, WTB Speed V saddle, and Jagwire cables. Plus a few other things...

Submitted by Bill W a Cross Country Rider from UK

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2007

Strengths:    Light, smooth and the ultimate in reliability

Bottom Line:
The best pair of shifters I have ever used. Put it like this, I've used them for 5 years on the same bike and the gear XTR (including the shifters) has not missed one beat ever ! I use my bike daily for work (not just occasionally for work, but EVERY day!) and on trails at the weekend. You can't get much better testing than this. I am building a new bike at the moment and will be trying the M970 components on that. If I get the value for money I got out of these shifters, I will be a happy man for the next 5 years !

Favorite Trail:   Scotland !

Purchased At:   Chainreaction

Similar Products Used:   XT, LX

Bike Setup:   Kinesis Maxilight with full XTR, Mavic rims, hope hubs, easton finishing

Submitted by Euan Carr a Cross Country Rider from Chelmsford

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2006

Strengths:    Shifting

Weaknesses:    Cost

Bottom Line:
They are noticeably lighter to use and crisper shifting than XT units.

For something that you use a hell of a lot each ride that has such a long expected lifespan I reckon the extra cost is worth it.

Purchased At:   Cyclesurgery

Similar Products Used:   Got XT Shifters on XTR mechs on my other bike for

Bike Setup:   Giant VT1 with XTR shifters & XTR mechs

Submitted by Marc Peot a Cross Country Rider from Morrison

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2005

Strengths:    Light weight, light action, smooooth, durable

Weaknesses:    None!

Bottom Line:
First off - it looks like there are some reviews of the Dual Controls on here ...
This a review of the '01-'02 XTR shift pods.

I have used these pods on two bikes, now. I have had them over 4 years and ridden them over 9,000 miles -- how many shifts is that, anyway?
I have yet to service them(!?!). Maybe a squirt of Pro Gold, now and then. Say what you want, but that is pretty reliable, imhb.
As long as my cables aren't impaired, they still have that unbelievably light action -- when people ride my bike, that is ALWAYS the first comment.
I have thought about going to SRAM XO - but I just love Rapid Rise.
I have heard nothing but good, though - several of my friends use it and they say it's every bit as good.
But, me, I'll stick with my pods 'till they fail -- or I do.
Happy Trails!

Favorite Trail:   Buffalo Creek / Colorado Trail

Purchased At:   So long ago - I can't remember

Similar Products Used:   SRAM Grip shift, XT

Bike Setup:   '03 Titus Racer X w/ all the chi-chi stuff...

Submitted by Ray a Cross Country Rider from NY

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2004

Strengths:    They look great and shift very well(SL-952)

Weaknesses:    Cracking on plastic body. For a top of the line set of shifters I expected a lot more. If you have a set I'll bet there's an 90% chance you'll see cracks on the plastic body. I had one set fall apart(craked open) when it was first installed at my local bike shop. I thought that it was their fault but seeing the cracks on these and others installed on my friends bikes, it looks like it's Shimano's fault.

Bottom Line:
Very good performing but absolutely lousy choice of plastic. I would have expected more from the Shimano's R&D. If they had an 800 number I would call and return this item.
I'm switching to SRAM X.0 's
The other XTR components seem to be pretty good.

Bike Setup:   Full XTR, Litespeed Tanasi, Moots laid-back seat post, Moots Ti-beam stem w/ Moots Ti straight handlebar, Triple Ti Eggbeater pedals, Mavic Crossmax Wheels, Hayes Hydraulic Disk brakes

Submitted by Greg Broderick a Cross Country Rider from Bend, Oregon

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2004

Strengths:    Looks great. Ability to brake and shift at the same time. But don't be fooled...

Weaknesses:    Terrible shifting! Persistent, ongoing problem with Ghost Shifting.

Bottom Line:
Don't get caught up in all the hype like I did! These shifters have NOT operated smoothly since first installed on my Santa Cruz Blur. Way overated - Shimano is only successfully selling these things because A). They look cool B.) The brake lever shift is a breakthrough concept in function (great idea, but BAD shifting prformance). Shimano... you have a long way to go before I could ever recommend this product. I have had my bike in to three different (and reputable) bike mechanics here in Bend, Oregon only to go back out on the trail and experience the same problem. These XTR shifters, and front/rear derailur(s) need constant adjustment, and even then never really work right. I am not the best guy on the mountain but I did have high expectations for the new XTR, and they have failed the real world test miserably! I am dumping these components and buying SRAM X.0 or X.9. Goodbye Shimano, hello SRAM! (Note: The dealer who sold me this bike tell's me my "rock Ring" is the problem, but I have not met a mechanic that has agreed with this diagnosis. I believe the dealer does not have enough experience with XTR to know they really don't perform that well. The last time I took the bike back to get worked on, he was frustrated and tired of seeing me for the same problem. The solution...? Don't sell XTR!).

Favorite Trail:   Bend has so many!!!

Purchased At:   Century Cycles (but never again)

Similar Products Used:   Shimano only

Bike Setup:   SC Blur, 5th element rear shock, Manitou front fork, race face "rock ring"

Submitted by Sam Michae a Racer from Charlotte, NC

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2004

Strengths:    shifts good, reliable, durable, easy to dial in. looks good too

Weaknesses:    shifts good....not great, takes a thumb and a finger to operate. Finger has to come off the brake lever to operate. Too expensive and not worth the money you spend, overated!

Bottom Line:
XTR is over rated, too expensive, a bunch of hype, and a complete waste of your money...look into other manufactures before you chose XTR. See note below.

I installed the SRAM Attack Trigger shifters on my Heckler a year ago. After one ride I was completely sold on them and knew without a doubt that the $49.95 Sram Attack Trigger Shifter was better than the $149.95 XTR Trigger Shifters. But I wanted to see how they would hold up over time before I purchased another set for my Blur. Here it is a year later, I've yanked all the XTR pods off my all my bikes and sold that junk on ebay and installed a $69.95 SRAM Rocket Trigger Shifter on my Blur and another $49.95 Sram Attack Trigger Shifter on my Jamis.

These absolutely Rock! They shift clean, instantly, makes better since, because you never have to move your finger from the brake and your grip on the handle bar never has to change and if you've ever blazed down a hill at full speed and found yourself in a corner where you need to brake and shift at the same time in a split second to set up for a climb....well the SRAM just simply works for your, where as the XTR shifters work against you.

My recommendation, get a set of $49.95 Attacks, try them if you don't like them you haven't lost much money, but I can say without a doubt you'll never go back to XTR shifters.