Shimano XTR Remote Bar End Shifter Shifter

4.04/5 (25 Reviews)

Shimano XTR Remote Shifter

Submitted by Andrew a Weekend Warrior from Calgary Alberta Canada

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2004

Strengths:    does it's job well
Easily affordable
looks cool

Weaknesses:    ergonomics vary with the barends used
it does not clamp, but uses a small screw to press against the barend
No longer manufactured or easy to find

Bottom Line:
This thing, works very well, and is fantastic for it's intended purpose. given my barends, I must admit that that upshifts were not as peachy as downshifts due to awkward ergonomics, and the reduced leverage. The mounting system is not as secure as a clamp, but much lighter. This may be to allow it to move in an impact, which sure beats breaking it. I had one of these for a 6 month period back in 2002. In all honesty, I miss having barends and this. for value, it is 5 all tha way, as it is afforadble and works well overall I will give it 4 because it apears to be brittle in an area that gets alot of impact, and a downgrade cos of it's odd method of securing itself. I highly recommend buying 2 of these...one as a replacement just in case and enjoy!

Purchased At:   IcyclesUSA.com

Similar Products Used:   one-of a kind

Bike Setup:   2000 Rocky mountain blizzard, Mostly XT gearing and a z2 bomber fork

Submitted by Robin Simons a Cross Country Rider from Albuquerque, NM

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2004

Strengths:    Works great. Love shifting from barends. Shifting is as easy as from the pods. Weighs less than an average sized floogie

Weaknesses:    Stupid plasticy parts break / falloff. Needs to come with extras.

Bottom Line:
These are awsome when they are working. I installed them myself and had no problems, but I am good at that kind of thing. Since I've had them on I have spent a lot more time up on the barends which I like. They upshift and downshift for me very easily, but that may be because of the XT shifters. When I ride the MTB on pavement, I almost never take my hands off the barends except to brake. I love it. I have wrecked onto the remote shifter, and it has visible gouges, but still works just fine except for the below mentioned problem. Also if for any reason they stop working, your regular shifters remain operational.

Now for the downside. I got them for 12 bucks and had the sense to get three of them (bike shop sells them for $80). Make sure you get more than one, because the moment you take a bad wreck, the crappy plastic endcaps that you "snap-fit" into place will break off and fly away. Also, I found it useful to use a tiny drop of glue to keep the endcaps on. Shimano really needs to provide extras with the unit (total cost to shimano: $0.000001 per unit).

However, since the endcaps are sacrificed when there is too much strain on them, it keeps the cables and other parts safe.

At 12 bucks, I give five flaming turds for value, at $80 I give it 2. Overall it gets 4 hot ones. If they included extra sacrificial endcaps it would recieve 5.

Everyone should try these.

Favorite Trail:   New Mexico

Purchased At:   icyclesusa.com

Bike Setup:   Ironhorse Rogue (an aluminum hardtail) XTR Der, XT shifters, FSA carbon crank, Fox Float 100 RLC

Submitted by Dave from Cambridge, Cambs., UK

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2003

Strengths:    Good product that isn't so much a necessity but is very useful - found myself using it a lot - even for several clicks up when cruising to a stop instead of long thumbshift on normal pods

As ever, good for climbing - stay on the bar ends, keeping rhythm. That XTR Pods are so light anyway this doesn't really apply though balance issues when upshifting on LX since it took quite a but of effort

Weaknesses:    It won't survive a RHS bail being on the tip of the bar end

Installation is a little fiddly - cable caps are plasticky affairs, not particularly durable. Spacers require tweezers really

Bottom Line:
Good add on that develops into something you use quite a lot.

Its position will mean it will be first to go post bail.

The downshift (onto smaller ring) is an easy click (apparently, this was first developed along the lines of Road style sprints for the line) but the upshift action required for climbing is quite heavy-actioned (because of the amount the thumb paddle has to be pulled through by the Bar End Unit - the design isn't particularly good in terms of mechanical advantage either).

Still; works and the upshift needs getting used to. Otherwise, a handy add on. Difficult to get in UK (try EBay!), seems to be millions floating around across the pond though

Similar Products Used:   -

Bike Setup:   XTR Pods - Bar End Shifter only runs 9SPD XT/XTR; though I suspect a little aluminium workmanship could alter a non XT/XTR pod, the Bar End Shifter will be too hard to use - really requires the light action of XTR

Submitted by Bob a Cross Country Rider from Chicago,Illinois

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2002

Strengths:    Works well for $5.00

Weaknesses:    Cables wear out and break about once a year so I keep three complete remote units as back-up for parts.

Bottom Line:
Nothing like it. Shifting from the bar ends lets you shift and go faster in more comfort. In three years I've replace three units because the cables wear out. If you break the unit or cable the regular shifter works without it.

Purchased At:   Cambria

Similar Products Used:   Nothing like it!

Bike Setup:   XTR with bar ends

Submitted by Charlie D a Cross Country Rider from Oak Ridge TN

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2002

Strengths:    It works just as it was meant to

Weaknesses:    set screw
c-washers for cable adjustment
needs some glue to make it work

Bottom Line:
People say this thing is delicate. Well I can top it all. My bike was on the roof-rack and I drove into my carport. The accident left a big impression in the house's rain gutter, and it tore the bike rack all to hell. (didn't damage the rest of the Yakima rack or the car) The bike suffered no damage.
4/5 steaming turds because of that set screw. C'mon Shimano, even Gripshift has this one figured out.
4/5 turds for those itty, bitty c-washers that are supposed to be used for cable adjustments. Luckly mine didn't need any triming, but the cables will stretch. If this thing weren't just a prototype-in-production then it would have barrel adjusters.
4/5 turds because the plastic cable anchor popped out and fell on the floor every time I downshifted with the main unit's thumb-paddle. A little contact cement fixed that.
5/5 turds for functonality. It works great! When my fanny gets sore and my lower back aches, I just stand up and shift the bike from the barend.
PS anybody know where I can get a 25 3/4" straight bar? In bulged Ti? Oh yes, custom Litespeed. That would only bring the cost of my remote shifter to what, $105?
Value? For 5 bucks you can't possible go wrong.

Favorite Trail:   Haw Ridge

Purchased At:   Cambria

Similar Products Used:   Shimano STI road, '95 XT, gripeshift, Exsage thumbshifter (indexed), Suntour non-indexed thumbshifter

Bike Setup:   Al hardtail, Z4 flexlight air, 120mm-10 degree stem, 23 1/2" Litespeed staight bar, Topo Ti barends

Submitted by Punk 182 a Racer from Canada

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2002

Strengths:    Really smooth and cool.

Weaknesses:    Ugly, and fragile

Bottom Line:
Its cool, it works and its cheap. Cheapest XTR item you'll ever get. It works well. I liked not leaving my bars. I even used it on Areo bars when I did a 80 km mountain/ road race. Its a great idea would be ideal for triathletes with areobars.

Favorite Trail:   Kelso

Purchased At:   Online

Bike Setup:   Trek 8000, XTR and SID sl

Submitted by Monte Laviolette a Cross Country Rider from Belleville, On., Canada

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2002

Strengths:    Ease of shifting. Don't have to take hand off bar end. Weight - only about 40gms. Can install yourself if at all mechanically capable. XTR quality.

Weaknesses:    None found yet (I didn't even mind the $$paid).

Bottom Line:
If you do a lot of shifting with rear deraillier, and you use bar ends, this is a great product - lets you focus on what's ahead, 'cuz you don't have to keep removing your hand from bar end to shift.

Favorite Trail:   Any that test skills

Purchased At:   Doug's Bikes

Similar Products Used:   None - first remote shifter tried.

Bike Setup:   Minelli Aluminum Y-frame, XTR derailliers, shifters, brakes. LX crank. Deore cogset. Monkeylite riser bar. Manitou fork. Stratos rear shock. Rigida rims. Shimano flight deck.

Submitted by Bill a Cross Country Rider from NY

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2001

Strengths:    I got this at lbs for $28 with an 8sp XTR shifter pod. As someone who loves bar ends, a remote shifter is what I always needed. Who cares if it adds a little weight. Its a great gadet. If it ever breaks after I cry I will rush out and buy another one. Another strength is that it says XTR. You can never have enough XTR. I would cary a brick if it said XTR. But really, if you like bar ends this can add alot of fun.

My mechanic got it to work on a short bar end, a Bontrager Race-lite mag. It normallt needs to be insttalled on longer barends.

Weaknesses:    Installation looked complicated. I had it professionally installed. Takes some barend space away. You can't place it on the extreme tip of the bar end.

Bottom Line:
These are a lot of fun. Add them if you use bar ends and have xtr pods.

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   Alivio, stx, xt shifters

Bike Setup:   The Uberbike. Dean Jester evrything XTR except for cranks and front derailer.

Submitted by Luke a Cross Country Rider from Knoxville,TN,USA

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2000

Strengths:    on sale everywhere. Lets you shift from multiple positions. Shifting quality is whats to be expected from XTR.

Weaknesses:    Fragile...fragile like glass...fragile like dry pasta...fragile like ..well, you get the idea.

Bottom Line:
"15$ at Cambria!? Why not!?" I said to myself while flipping through a magazine. For a week i dreamed about flying up hills that were too steep before with new shifting options before me. UPS came, easily installed on my bike in 10 minutes...ready to ride!
The first climb on the trail I shifted 30x just to play with it...excellent smoothness and very convenient to have.On the way down, a branch caught the excessively large loop of housing and spun my bars, not bothering to compensate, I bailed and watched as my right bar end smashed into a tree.
No problem i thought, it's XTR afterall!
Big NO.
The shifter had simply exploded into a mess of bearing races, plastic washers and cables...No reason to stick it back together as it was beyond repair. For the rest of the ride my shifting was very sticky, as I couldn't untension the cables and they pulled on my XTR shift levers.
I was mad, I could have bought a dozen powerbars with that 15 bucks!
I can't reccomend this product to anyone who rides on real trails as it is far far too fragile to take any real world abuse.
Racers who have norba trails with very little trees and more wide open trails could find a little bit of an advantge with this, I suppose.
Probably the people who would most enjoy this product would be commuters, or long distance tourers, as this is mostly a comfort item, and nothing more.

Similar Products Used:   Nothing like this

Bike Setup:   99 Jamis Dragon.

Submitted by Alvin Adeva a Weekend Warrior from San Francisco, CA

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2000

Strengths:    XTR quality, Alivio Pricing at Cambria, ability to shift using any hand position. Great for climbs.

Weaknesses:    way too fragile. that's it.

Bottom Line:
If you shift a lot, and I don't know anyone who really rides and doesn't do that, then these are absolutely essential. Shifting on a climb, especially with Rapid rise derailleurs really makes this $8.00 investment worthwhile. I would highly recommend this product. As far as shifting goes, it shifts just as well as the actual shifters themselves, however I would appreciate a slightly different mechanism where one click would generate an upshift, not two.

Favorite Trail:   China Camp, San Rafael, CA

Bike Setup:   Dean Oscar Custom, XT/XTR mix, SDG Seat, Cook Brother F series cranks w/ RaceFace rings, Onza Procut barends, Serfas Lock On, Time ATAC Carbon pedals, Dean Stem/post, Mavic 217/GT CNC wheels, Tioga XC front and rear, Sachs PC-51 chain, SID XC

Submitted by goo a Weekend Warrior from tn

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2000

Strengths:    useful, light, XTRed my bike more

Weaknesses:    weak, fragile, can screw up your shifting, big old ugly loops of cable

Bottom Line:
the very FIRST time I took this thing out onto the trail brushed my barend against a tree and it EXPLODED all over, if that wasnt bad enough, it screwed up my shifting for the remainder of the ride. I took it off and gave up on it because it sucked prior to breaking anyways.
But I got bored one day and cleaned it out and lubed the cables really well (the shimano grease is TOO THICK) and found that the return spring , which is VITAL!!!!, had come undone. assembling everything right, and getting all of the crappy shimano lube out has made this ting grreat to have, although it doesnt fix its fragility, or the problem of big loops of cable swingin around.

Favorite Trail:   tsali

Submitted by mike taylor american bada!@ a Cross Country Rider from country town near dallas

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2000

Strengths:    works.

Weaknesses:    just plain ugly, too many cables, added five grams to my precious feather bike, and bar ends suck anyways. i never used the thing really. finicy and tends to ghost shift with some 8speed stuff. i got a riser and 50mm stem, and now who need bar ends! i can outclimb a lot of people just the same and never gore myself if something goes on a sick downhill section.

Bottom Line:
if you are still riding those walmart looking bar ends and watching inspector gadget, by it.

Favorite Trail:   all with real dirt and no p!@#$ trails