Shimano XT Shifter Shifter

3.8/5 (212 Reviews)

Shimano XT SL-M750 Left/Right Indicator Unit.

Submitted by photoBear a Cross Country Rider from Bendigo,Victoria,Australia

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2011

Strengths:    light, precise, fast shifting all you could ask for really.
metal upshift lever

Weaknesses:    I know I will break the display
A little pricey

Bottom Line:
After the right hand deore levers the bike came with jammed I decided to upgrade, they were a bit pricey but I thaught I'd give them a go.

Although I was quite happy with the deores (sans the jamming) These are quite a bit better. they are lighter, faster more precise, just better and I think well worth the extra cash.

They also make the deraillers operate better.

Favorite Trail:   Diamond hill, Crusoe Res, Big hill

Similar Products Used:   deore, alivio

Bike Setup:   08 Norco charger,stock, deore rear derailler alivio front

Submitted by smokinjoe a Racer from mountain home ark

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2010

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    refer to product strengths

Bottom Line:
Totally sucks. Nothing like the xt used to be quality wise. Shifting up is relatively smooth but still not as smooth as the older styles. Going down is horrible, a pretty good pull to get the shifters to shift then a audible clud that is so loud you can feel it in the frame, along with hesitation. New cables and housings out of the box. SUCKS
Im totally gun shy of any shimano shifters now.

Favorite Trail:   syllamo

- Precise Indexing
- Durable
- Easy to set up
- Removeable Gear indicator

Weaknesses:    - A little platicky but cant complain for the price
- A little extra effort is needed to move the triggers but I actually like it. I can see how some might not so I will list as a negative.

Bottom Line:
I love these shifters. I have seen some negative reviews regarding this shifter set but mine have been flawless for over a year. They function perfectly with my XT derailluers. I love the instant release and they have shifted precisely when my derailleurs are adjusted properly. I have also perfomed the newly found mod that alows these shifters to release two gears at a time like the XTR shifters. I love them even more now. In my expereince these have been a great shifter at a resonable price and have not failed me for over a year. I have taken several hard falls including a few OTB's and have yet to damage these shifters. My vote is do not hesitate to buy theses shifters at the discounted prices they can be had for these days. I ride mostly XC trails with I guess a bit of light AM thrown in. I certainly have ham fisted several shifts under load and they handled it without problems. All in all I can say this is a great set of shifters for all riders save for the most discrimiate types or racers that need the performance of XTR's or SRAM X0's.

Favorite Trail:   Patapsoco State Park

- Jagwire Ripcord cables
- Lizard Skins lock on grips

Submitted by spaaarky21 a Weekend Warrior from Omaha, NE

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2009

Strengths:    You can shifter down four gears in one "push," as opposed to three on the regular Deores

Weaknesses:    - "2-way release" feature for was a good idea but I was always hitting the release lever while trying to shift to a lower (larger) sprocket.
- Don't always shift when you want them to. You make the shift, the bike does not. When you try again, they "catch up" and shift two.
- Sometimes start trying to climb or drop down a gear by themselves!
- They are finicky. Rides seem to start out by adjusting one direction and end up adjusting the other direction by the end of the ride.
- Locked up the drivetrain while shifting, causing me to smash my knee into the handlebar stem. That's when I decided the XT's had to go!

Bottom Line:
As far as shifters go, they don't do what they are supposed to do reliably. Every bike I've owned with indexing shifters has had Shimano components on it so I always thought that "finicky" was just the nature of the beast, especially on bikes with somewhat lower level components. I was disappointed to find out that the XT's are just a feature-rich version of the same bad design.

After looking for alternatives online, it seems like Shimano has built quite a reputation for finicky shifters. As a forum user put it, "click click click click thuuunk!" After my XT's locked up the drive train at an inopportune moment in the mountains, I decided to replace them with a set of Sram X.9's. The X.9's are a dream! It sounds ridiculous but I seriously had no idea shifters could be so clean, crisp and stable. It's like a whole new world to me. Ditch your Shimano's NOW!

Favorite Trail:   Swanson Park

Similar Products Used:   - Shimano Deore (now called Deore LX?) which have all the same problems.
- Sram X.9, which so far have been incredible!

Bike Setup:   - 2007 Iron Horse "Azure - Expert" full suspension XC
- Shimano downswing front derailleur
- Now has Sram X.9 shifters and rear derailleur
- Formula Oro K24 brakes with 180mm discs
- Fox F32R fork, Float R rear shock
- DT/Swiss X1800 wheelset

Submitted by GP@Borneo a Weekend Warrior from Balikpapan Indonesia

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2009

Strengths:    before it broke it worked well
easy to change cables
Shimano tech docs excellent

Weaknesses:    Questionable build strength as my FD shifter housing broke after ~150 riding hours.

Bottom Line:
Upon closer inspection the plastic housing where the barrel adjuster enters had flared. I took it apart and realigned a few of the 'metal bits' inside the shifter which reduced the flaring but its still not flush. IMO it could probably do with another screw around where the adjuster mates with the shifter.
I'm pretty easy going on the shift, "only" endo'd 1 time in the time I've been using this.
FD does get packed in mud here in the tropics which might explain extra tension on the shifter - but I'ld expect XT to be up to the task.
I'm not going to replace it with XT, currently got an 06 Deore on there - probably just the excuse I need to "upgrade" to SRAM.

Favorite Trail:   various

Purchased At:   Jakarta

Similar Products Used:   Deore/LX and SLX

Bike Setup:   08 Flux XT M770 GroupSet

Submitted by ian_carlson a Cross Country Rider from Albuquerque, NM, USA

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2009

Strengths:    Great price/performance ratio

Weaknesses:    Weak plastic barrel adjuster

Bottom Line:
Ok, So I was replacing my Deore Mega 9 shifters that had the little plastic barrel adjusters completely chewed up through continuous use. So much so, I couldn't do fine adjustments to the derailleur cable tension. I decided to get XT because of the indicators (XTR doesn't have them). When I installed the XTs, I saw the same plastic barrel adjusters on the them as well. I didn't think too much of it since I though since I was buying XT, I would be getting a durable product.

My first ride out with the new XTs, I biffed it on a rocky descent. Everything seemed ok except my rear derailleur shifting was off. Low and behold, the XT plastic barrel shifter had snapped off. My brand new shifter rendered completely useless. Now, I know that I put the shifter under a lot of stress by falling, and maybe I was just really unlucky, since I've fallen much worse before and no harm was rendered to my bike. But I'm still weary of such weak part of the shifter pods. I decided to go with XTR since they have a different type of barrel shifter that appears more durable. Hopefully that's actually the case. Otherwise, the shifters seem fine. They don't have the real clicky metal feel of the SRAM XOs, but they had really good indexing and feel when they did work. Just something to think about if you like to ride aggressively and ocassionally take the plunge.

3 chilis if you want good shifters. But don't expect them to survive a good fall, which is something that I'm concerned about these days.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   SRAM XO

Submitted by carlosferreira1975 a Cross Country Rider from Ladera Ranch

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2009

Strengths:    Shifts...

Weaknesses:    When trying to change to an easier gear using my thumb finger the shifter "clongs" cuz my thumb is also touching thr shifter that would make it harder. Long story short, I am not able to shif as fast as I used with my 2003 XT shifter. Another horrible point is that I need more power on my finger because these new shifter are harder... I hate it. I would love my old ones bacl

Bottom Line:
I would love to take it back to shimano and ask them to biuld something better. It works but it is not made to someone who needs fast shifting. When I say fast, I mean fast finger shifting

Favorite Trail:   San Juan

Purchased At:   The Bike Company

Similar Products Used:   XT 2003

Bike Setup:   5.5 Intense with mostly XTR...

Submitted by devo5 a Racer from Petaluma, CA

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2008

Strengths:    Aluminum upshift lever
finger/thumb downshift lever
Removable windows
Short and smooth shifts

Weaknesses:    Breaks after dirt gets inside (rachet is too cheap)
Seizes
Rear shifter rachet is weak
Unreliable
Too much plastic

Bottom Line:
Do not ride them in the mud because they will break or freeze like a lot of shifters. These just seem more prone to seizing and malfunction. If they freeze up or arent working, take them apart and soak them in simple green then lube the whole thing and they should work for a while after.

Buy XTR shifters or SRAM and you wont be wasting your money.

Similar Products Used:   XTR
LX
X9
X0

Bike Setup:   Trek 8500 full XT

Submitted by Weed_RC a Weekend Warrior from Indo

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2008

Strengths:    Precision,shift smoothly & Rapid fire it really help for quick shifting,

Bottom Line:
This is for the 2008 M770s. They shift smooth and look great What more can you ask for? after two way release what else?

Favorite Trail:   My Secret Trail

Purchased At:   Local Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Deore

Bike Setup:   Dabomb Tora Bora XC,Manitou R7,XT drivetrain

Submitted by XC Runner a Cross Country Rider from Asheville, NC

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2008

Strengths:    Reliability, smooth shifting, light weight, great looks, quality feel, precision

Bottom Line:
this is a review on the M750 old school xt shifters. my pair is seven years old and still works flawlessly. the shifting is unbelievably smooth and effortless. i recently tried out the sram x.9 shifters, and i was surprised by the feel of the x.9's. i really expected to love them, and the 1 to 1 actuation is from a mechanical standpoint more reliable, and easier to adjust, but the x.9's just felt clunky and unrefined compared to the xt shifters. the M750's shift levers start pulling the cable almost immediately, there's little friction inside the mechanism, and they don't give the loud ratcheting clicks that the x.9's do.

as to hugh's review on the m750's, unless there's something restricting cable movement, and causing excess tension in the cables, or the cables aren't set up properly (especially the loop that goes in the rear derailleur), these things shift just fine, they're a breeze to adjust (i've recently had to replace housing twice, and it's taken just a few minutes to readjust both times), and they preform flawlessly.

Similar Products Used:   Sram MXR shifters, Shimano Deore shifters, Sram X.9 shifters

Bike Setup:   2005 Gary Fisher Marlin, eggbeaters, xt shifters and rear derailleur, different saddle, 2003 Maniou Black Elite Air, a few other changes

Submitted by Jason a Cross Country Rider from Reading, PA

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2008

Strengths:    This is for the 2008 M770s. These thing shift so smoothly coupled with the XT shadow rear! This a night and day upgrade from my old shifters. I LOVE the two way release feature, and will be using it from now on.

Weaknesses:    a little plasticky in places, but if that doesn't affect performance then I don't care.

Bottom Line:
These were a great deal. Originally bought a 2007 set, and the eBay retailer ran out so they sent me the 2008s. These are what I wanted anyway. These shifters are one of the best things about my bike. They tuned up great, and shift very smoothly.

Favorite Trail:   Neversink Mountain

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Deore, Acera, and LX shifters

Bike Setup:   2007 Cannondale Caffeine 3 frame, XT shifters, w/shadow XT rear, and XT front. Rock shox fork, Avid bb7 brakes, Raceface evolve xc crank.

Submitted by Hugh a Racer from Sweden

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2007

Strengths:    Works like butter when new.

Weaknesses:    Very sensitive to cable adjustment. Poor quality.

Bottom Line:
Review for M750 2006 XT 9spd Trigger Shifter Pods. (the light grey ones)

Shifters are very sensitive to cable adjustment because of the small amount of cable they pull. I find I need to lube cables almost every ride to keep the shifting working well.

After 1 year the rear shifter broke. Taking it apart I was expecting something in the ratchet to have failed. In fact the main steel shaft for the downshift lever had broken in half. Fatigue failure.

I'm off to try to get it warrantied tomorrow.

Who should buy it? Riders who don't mind single-speeding back home one of these days on a 22/11 gear. :)