Shimano Saint Sl-M810 Shifter

Shimano has wised up and now offers a single rear Saint SL-M810 Shift Lever for gravity riders who donAAAt run a front derailleur. This single lever shares all the attributes of its parent set, but includes only the shifter, one cable, and two lengths of housing. Shimano redesigned the latest Saint shifters to provide a more ergonomic feel with relation to your thumb. Sporting a shorter stroke for faster shifting, this lever fits inside or outside of you brake levers for maximum comfort and customization. The Rapid Fire design lets you shift in either direction.

Submitted by ykbiker a Cross Country Rider from Yellowknife

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2011

Strengths:    Reliable and precise

Bottom Line:
I have 3 bike now with this shifter and it performs exactly as you would expect a product designed for downhill riding. The great thing is it is good looking it is designed to be out of the way, so it dosn't get wracked. I am running it with an SLX derailleur for Cross country and also on another bike for rock riding which is pretty demanding and there are lots of crashes and flipping where parts can get smashed. These shifters have performed flawless. I am an older rider and wasn't alway sold on rapid fire shifters. I remember when they came in in 1990 and nobody wanted them. The early ones were crap, but the new generation, especially this one is great.

Favorite Trail:   lots

Purchased At:   Jensonusa

Similar Products Used:   XT XTR

Bike Setup:   1X9 Rocky Vertex and Rocky Flow

Submitted by fusedmaniac a Cross Country Rider from Whitby, Ontario

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2009

Strengths:    Instant release and two way release, very mechanical feel (you know exactly how many gears you've changed). Nearly instant shifts coupled with my XTR rear der.

Weaknesses:    Maybe a bit heavy for what I do but, I'm glad I went with these over just another pair of XT's

Bottom Line:
This product is beautiful. Very low key but the all black shifter pod with sharp angles and the gold tension adjuster just look amazing together, yet another good looking Shimano product. The best part is that it performs as great as it looks. I'm used to riding both Sram and Shimano setups and I prefer to use my thumb for shifting in both directions, so the two way release is great for me. Being a cross country rider does mean that I demand a lot of from a shifter especially when climbing, having the instant release is excellent for that but, being able to shift through my entire cassette in only two throws of my thumb is the bee's knees. I'm only giving 4 chilis for value because for an XT comparable product you do pay more than for just plain old XT. If you want a good looking product Shimano always delivers and shifting performance is top notch. I would recommend this shifter to any DH riders as well as any XC riders with a 1x9 setup like myself.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT, Shimano XTR, Shimano Dura Ace (if that counts as a similar product) Sram X.9, Sram X.7

Bike Setup:   A far from stock Norco Fireball hardtail XC rig. Hayes Stroker Gram brakes, XT cranks, XTR rear der, E.13 LG1+ chainguide 1x9 setup, a Sram PG990 cassette in mango and of course the Saint shifter.