Shimano Rapidfire SL-M770 Shifter

3.14/5 (7 Reviews)
Weight : 220 grams MSRP : $119.98

Shimano XT SL-M770 Rapidfire Plus Shifters. 2-Way Release for different riding styles or shifting (indexfinger or thumb) from various riding positions;The upper lever still performs the same function, but now it swings both ways. Pull it with your finger

Submitted by kiwi_matt a Weekend Warrior from New Zealand

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2011

Strengths:    Well made, solid shifter.

Weaknesses:    Felt slightly heavier than LX.

Bottom Line:
This is a great shifter, easily customizable to suit your bar with removable indicators and adjustable clamps. Haven't experienced any hassles with hitting the downshift lever as others have mentioned. Nice firm shifting which with a careful bit of tinkering can be converted to multi-release that's featured on XTR however *THIS WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY*

( http://superlightracer.blogspot.com/2010/05/mechanic-tip-001-convert-xt-m770.html )

Purchased At:   Online auction

Similar Products Used:   LX.

Bike Setup:   Stumpjumper Pro, Rockshox 351 Recons, Shimano/Syncros wheels, Hayes Strokers, XT Shadow R/derailleur

Submitted by xcfsrrider a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2010

Strengths:    Very smooth shifting. Positive (immediate shifting) PUSH PUSH or PUSH PULL

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
Great shifters. Lever positioning is a little different to accomodate the PUSH PUSH shifting option. I was unsure if I would like them given some of the other reviews. However, I like them much better that the deore on my other bike. The shifting lever positioning has not caused me any problems; I love them. They have never miss shifted. I would actually of just liked having PUSH PULL shifting but the new XTs don't come that way any more. However the shifting is positive (immediate shift when pressing or releasing)

Purchased At:   Contes Conyers

Similar Products Used:   XT SLX Deore SRAM

Bike Setup:   XT M770 with matching XT derailers

Submitted by What&son a Weekend Warrior from spain

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2009

Strengths:    Light action, good looks, aluminium push lever, optical display removable, two way release feature, multi position clamp, lightweight(once gear display removed, then is only 15g over xtr)

Weaknesses:    Lower lever too close to upper lever...not good at all.
Sharp edges on inner side of handlebar clamps.

Bottom Line:
I´ve only used them once, but I´ve seen enough. As already posted here the push lever is too close to the release one. On the right shifter that might be unnoticed unless you push beyond the third click, but on the left lever it has to get pushed passed the upper lever (as expected)and they are so stupidly close together that you can´t avoid pushing the upper lever accidentally. I´ll have to figure out a way to solve this, maybe give them another try, readjust position(it looks like if I push from the outermost edge of the lever I can clear the upper lever), or just spend a few more hours to re-adjust my finger position...or get them back to the LBS where I bought them before I wear them too much.
Besides that, shifting is very crisp and light (partly due to gore cables, I´m sure) but still notice a great improvement on shifting performance over the Deores I was running before with the same cable set.

Favorite Trail:   collserola

Similar Products Used:   Ancient lx,Deores M530,XT thumbs, XT older rapidfires,XTR 950 rapidfire, XTR dual control.

Bike Setup:   Steel hardtail, WCS narrow handlebar, xtr 960´s rapid rise rear and xtr 960 front derailleur.Gore sealed cables.

Submitted by aliikane a Weekend Warrior from stalking area

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2009

Strengths:    they are lower profile so you can get your brake levers and shifters at a similar angle.

Weaknesses:    the redesign is bad. shifters feel like the bottom line deore shifters. choppy and rough. the downshift is extremely bad. the change with the dual downshift messed with the internals and made them bad. the upshift is fine. i don't know what happened to them but they change them a lot. the last rapid fire shifters i had were great. these are bad enough to where i want to swap them out for the older models.

Bottom Line:
don't buy them. they are not the smooth xt rapid fire shifters as before. the change with the dual downshift made the internals rough and choppy for the downshift lever.

Favorite Trail:   home trail

Purchased At:   universal cycles

Similar Products Used:   xt rapid fire, sram x-9, sram x-7.

Bike Setup:   intense 6.6, fox van 36.

Submitted by Inyokerntom a Cross Country Rider from Newport Beach, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2008

Strengths:    This shifter came with the bike. It has a nice light shifting touch & I like shifting down with either my thumb or index finger.

Weaknesses:    I agree with one of the other raters. The levers are too close together. When I try for 3 or 4 lower gears at a time, I frequently hit the downshift lever. This limits the shift to two. It is a nuisance, but for the most part, I still like the shifter.

Bottom Line:
A bit of a Shimano design error, but overall I can cope with the problem.

Similar Products Used:   Lots of different rapidfire and grip shift shifters

Bike Setup:   2008 Stock carbon rush 2

Submitted by evlgreg a Racer from Denver, Co

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2008

Strengths:    umm, I suppose it will be reliable. It was easy to set up.

Weaknesses:    Poor Poor idea to have the downshift lever so close to the upshift lever.

Bottom Line:
When I really need to downshift at the bottom of a hill, I attempt to shift 2 or 3 gears and my gloved thumb hits the upshift lever partway through the downshift motion. The bike will then downshift 2.5 gears and upshift 1 gear giving me a net downshift of 1 gear, then I have to try to shift down one gear at a time as quickly as I can. If you try it sometime under pressure, you will find it near impossible to shift three cogs with one push without hitting the upshift lever. I'm selling mine (look for them on ebay) and getting the old M750's that only shift one direction per lever.

Favorite Trail:   not telling

Purchased At:   included with new bi

Similar Products Used:   from thumbshifters in the 80's to grip shift, I've tried it all

Submitted by Alan a Cross Country Rider from Toronto, Canada

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2008

Strengths:    2-Way Release, Instant Release, Solid feel

Weaknesses:    - Missing Multi Release Feature - down shift two gears at once
- I don't like the look when you look at it from the front, it says 'Shimano' (no XT) which makes it look like the Deore. Would have been better if it had no optical gear display in the first place.

Bottom Line:
I am very impress with the instant release which makes it shifts faster compare to my old SL-M750 Shimano XT. The two new feature 2-Way Release and Instant Release are great. However, because of its instant release, down shifting maybe stiff and takes a while to get used to.

However, it is missing the Multi Release feature from the SL-M970.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano LX, XT M750, XTR, Deore, Sram Attack (X9), Sram 9.0 Grip Shift, Sram X0 Trigger

Bike Setup:   Ventana El Fuego, Fox F80 RLT, DT XR 1540, Shimano XT M770 FD/RD/CS/SL, RaceFace Turbine crankset w/ Blackspire Superpro rings, Time ATAC Carbon