Shimano LX Shifter Shifter

3.7/5 (79 Reviews)

Shimano LX Shifter

Submitted by bumberding a Weekend Warrior from Wiltshire

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2009

Strengths:    look ok, good action, easy to maintain, never fail

Weaknesses:    front mech requires very long action to shift up, cheap materials

Bottom Line:
do as they should never fail, if you want want better quality go for an xtr although don't expect too much more better shifting action as LX's are good!

Favorite Trail:   Salisbury Plain

Similar Products Used:   spram x9/x7, shimano xt/xtr

Bike Setup:   giant xtc

Submitted by Erik a Racer from Boise, Idaho

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2009

Strengths:    They just work

Bottom Line:
I used these things for 5 years (~8000 miles) and they are literally the last component I've needed to replace except the Fox fork. Technically they don't even need to be replaced (still work, but I just want something new). They never failed, always shifted well. I'll give them 5 chilis.

Favorite Trail:   Hard Guy

Purchased At:   George's

Similar Products Used:   Sram twist X.0

Bike Setup:   Epic

Submitted by Lowell a Cross Country Rider from Brunswick, ME

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2007

Strengths:    Have worked fairly consistently for 6 years. Don't see any need to replace them any time soon.

Weaknesses:    The ratchet mechanism will sometimes not catch in the winter. This is only when riding in sub-zero temps though. The problem is also decreased by putting a couple drops of lube in the hole (remove the plastic screw). the indexing on the rear shifter has gotten a bit softer after 6 years of fairly heavy use.

Bottom Line:
These shifters, along with the xt rear derrailleur, have lasted me 6 years, performing well with little maintenance the whole time. THey're not too pricey and work well with little effort. Highly recommended. So you know, I ride a lot of xc and have been racing the past two years, and there's still no need to upgrade after 6 years and two bikes.

Favorite Trail:   Bradbury Mountain: Ragan

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   sram x9, shimano alivio.

Bike Setup:   jamis dakar sport 1997. lx shifters, xt rear, lx front derrailleur, manitou skareb fork, cane creek ad10 shock. Crossmax/crossride wheels, v brakes.

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2007

Strengths:    Shimano quality, function & durability.

Weaknesses:    The red needle on the display dosen't line up 100% correctly with the marks for the gear your in on the shifter pod.

Bottom Line:
These shifter came stock on my 2001 Trek Fuel 90 Disk that I got brand new on July 02,2001. I'd of prefered a full Shimano Deore XT grouppo, but ah, what can you do? These do an excellent job shifting, the needle issue is what prevents me from giving the Overall Rating a perfect 5/5. Since getting this bike brand new on July 02,2001. I've only needed to re-tension the shifter wires in 2004 & 2005.
Bottom Line: An excellent shifter set that's not let me down in nearly 6 seasons of cycling.

Purchased At:   Stock on my 2001 Trek Fuel 90 Disk - Earl's Cycle (closed 2003)

Similar Products Used:   Shimano Tourney Thumb shifter stock on 1994 Raleigh Matterhorn, Shimano Alivio's stock on 1996 GT Ricochet & replacement Shimano shifters after Alivio's broke.

Bike Setup:   2001 Trek Fuel 90 Dsik.

Submitted by Josh a Weekend Warrior from Ellensburg, WA

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2006

Strengths:    It just works! The rear shifter works outstanding and there is absolutely nothing to complain about.

Weaknesses:    The front shifter has a really long throw when you upshift, I've found myself having to rotate my wrist around to get it to click up. It's just annoying enough to complain about, but not a huge deal.

Bottom Line:
As a whole, great value for the money and does the job well. I do have a beef with the front shifter and I'll probably be looking for something to replace it with soon, but these will definitely be seeing duty on my other bike when that happens.

Purchased At:   came with bike

Similar Products Used:   Shimano Alivio

Bike Setup:   2005 Giant Reign 2 w/ Thompson 0 offset seatpost, Specialized BG saddle, Spesh stem, WTB tires

Submitted by JimboLighCrawfishpieChiliGumbo a Weekend Warrior from Bonita

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2006

Strengths:    OE on ALOT of bikes and factored into many build-ups, just because they work. And do so well.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
Just a great product. I'd say these and a med. cage Saint derailer is the best all around set-up price wise and sheer simplicity in motion. Word up.

Favorite Trail:   Alafia; Tampa FL

Purchased At:   Came with bike(s)

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   2005 IronHorse Warrior HT; Marzocchi Drop Off 130mm; BSH Designs 'Prison' bars; Troy Lee Designs mini-crossbar pad; FSA DH300 stem, FSA SL-K saddle & post; FSA Team Issue Carbon Pro 175mm crankset; e.thirteen 38T DH CR/ e.thirteen SRS chainguide w/ Supercharger ring; Full Metal Jacket Cabling; 7" F/ 6" R Hayes w/ MX2 calipers; FSA Scatto Skewers, welded 3/8" longer for R thick dropouts; Kenda Nevegals Stick-E 2.1 and/or Kenda Kwest 1.95 tires; soon Small Block Eights.

Submitted by JOHN a Cross Country Rider from MD

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2005

Strengths:    QUIET EASY SHIFTS, EASY TO SEE DISPLAY, UNDER THE BAR SO THE LOOK CLAEN AND ARE LESS LIKELY TO GET RIPED OFF IN A CRASH, WORK WELL WITH MY LX BRAKE LEVERS

Weaknesses:    NONE

Bottom Line:
GOOD VALUE IF YOU WANT TO KEEP THINGS EASY AND CHEAP. WORKS GREAT, VERY COMFORTABLE TO USE. SO SMALL YOU HARDLY SEE ANYTHING BUT THE CONTROLS

Favorite Trail:   LOCHRAVEN

Purchased At:   PRICEPOINT

Similar Products Used:   BRIFTERS THAT CAME ON MY BIKE

Bike Setup:   IRON HORSE WARRIOR DISC, XT HUBS, MAVIC DISC RIMS, AVID BB DISCS, DT SWISS CENTERLOCK, LXM580 CASS, MEGA 9 SIIFTERS AND LEVERS,TRUVATIV CRANK

Submitted by dot a Racer from somewhere

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2005

Strengths:    not pricey.
they do what they must do.
the lightest 9-spd shimano shifters.
they are still produced after shimano introduced their dual controls.

Weaknesses:    none.

Bottom Line:
I've got several sets of 9-spd LX shifters on different bikes from their first appearence on the market.
They do what they are designed for - they shift and do it well and flawless. I've never wanted to upgrade to XT/XTR.

PS Just check your cables and housing regularily!

Similar Products Used:   a lot of stuff from shimano and SRAM

Bike Setup:   lots of bikes

Submitted by Guille a Weekend Warrior from Capital Federal, Buenos Aires, Argentina

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2005

Strengths:    Strong, durable and cheap.

Weaknesses:    Weight, colors, the display should be over the handlebar (and not beneath it) and it doesn't work that good with a 9 speed rear derraulier. Ah, and it's not that easy to change to upper crowns.

Bottom Line:
THIS REVIEW IS FOR THE 24 SPEED SHIFTERS, NOT FOR THE 27 ONES. I've been using this shifters for more than three years now, and the only reason why I'm changing them is because I'm switching to 27 speeds. They worked really fine for all this time, even though they used to work much better when I had an 8 speed Acera rear D (now I have a Deore one). They seem to be really heavy, but well finished and durable also. If you're using 24 speeds this shifters are a good shot for sure.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano Acera, SRAM 9.0

Bike Setup:   Custom Vairo

Submitted by DragonZzZ a Downhiller from Holland

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2004

Strengths:    It shifts great, and fast.

Weaknesses:    I need to shift the rear 9 speed firts before i can shift to first with my front cogs

Bottom Line:
It's a great product, it does what it's supposed 2 do so it's great =D

Purchased At:   Bike-Zone

Bike Setup:   Commencal Essence, stock except for Bashring and Azonic Extension

Submitted by Adam Pippin from Dallas, Texas

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2004

Strengths:    Great shifter for the price.

Weaknesses:    Probably only on mine- the display on the right shifter seems to make a really annoying buzzing noise. Sometimes a little tricky to adjust

Bottom Line:
These shifters have done pretty well for me. My only issue is that weird buzzing noise- does anyone know if a replacement display can be purchased? I have ridden these for almost two years and no major problems.

Favorite Trail:   Robber's Cave State Park

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   alivio 7 speed

Bike Setup:   custom xc hardtail- XT derailluers, lx crank, SRAM pc 99 chain

Submitted by Turd Furgeson a Cross Country Rider from Merryland

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2004

Strengths:    Durable and have worked just fine for many years.

Weaknesses:    Not the best looking units with the blue finish (I guess it's an optional finish as I've seen them in black too). Some shifts take more effort than I'd like. The displays are a bit hard to tell which gear you're in sometimes as there are no numbers on it, but it's not always necessary.

Bottom Line:
The LX's aren't bad shifters at all and even after 4yrs. of continuous use they still do the job just fine. As mentioned above I don't care for the blue finish on them, but it may be an optional finish as I believe I've seen them in black or silver too. I'm considering upgrading to a newer set of shifters eventually as technology has changed/improved in the 4yrs. I've owned them, but they still work just the way they were designed.

Purchased At:   Came stock on bike.

Bike Setup:   '00 Trek VRX300: Azonic Love Seat & O.R.S. stem, Sette APX post, ODI lockers, otherwise stock for now...

Submitted by Brad a Racer from San Francisco, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2004

Strengths:    Durable, quick and accurate shifting with easy adjustments

Weaknesses:    Increasing resistance, starting to show a little wear

Bottom Line:
Overall, the LX shifters have been reliable and feel solid. They've started to give quite a bit more resistance (especially the rear shifter) lately, but they are also going on 4 seasons of absolute punishment, including races and wrecks. I haven't done anything to them in the way of maintenance; only changed out the cables once. I've set up the bike to be about as light as a full suspension bike can get (23 lbs) without compromising quality and durability. I'm sure XT/XTR are lighter but as a wise rider once told me, "if you really want to drop weight, save your money and drop the lb's around your waist!"

Favorite Trail:   Tamarancho

Purchased At:   Came with the bike

Similar Products Used:   Alivio (also extremely durable but not as quick)

Bike Setup:   Fisher Sugar 1: XTR rear, XT front, XT cranks, Chris King Hubs, Fox F80RLT front, Rock Shox rear, Easton CT2, Terry Fly saddle

Submitted by Cameron a Racer from Dublin, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2004

Strengths:    Very resposive shifting. It has a very short throw distance.

Weaknesses:    I can never tell witch gear I'm in (it's just a little red marker that moves back and forth.) It seems a little weak(durability)

Bottom Line:
It came with my bike and I have had no need to replace it. As long as you don't bite it too hard it'll be fine and it shouldn't break.

Purchased At:   Tri city

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Super V 500

Submitted by Nikolas a Weekend Warrior from Greece

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2004

Strengths:    Nice looks,work prety well

Weaknesses:    indicators are VERY fragile

Bottom Line:
Good for the money you spend byt a bit heavy compared to gripshifters.I'd never get srams though.The only problem is tha when i crashed the indicator boke and i searched the ground for 30 mins to recover the pieces.my friend has xt and the same thing happened to him.they should be metalic or something.But my biggest complain is that when i visited the so called 'official' shimano dealer to order a new indicator(according to shimano that can be done) he didint even knew that the indicators can be removed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!shimano needs to be very carefull about the people that sell its products