Shimano Deore XT Dyna-Sys SL-M770-10R Shifter

3.33/5 (3 Reviews)

Shimano XT SL-M770-10R 10 Speed Shifters. 2-Way Release for different riding styles or shifting (indexfinger or thumb) from various riding positions;The upper lever still performs the same function, but now it swings both ways. Pull it with your finger o

Submitted by pedalitup a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2012

Strengths:    Marketing campaigns really thrive in such feature rich environments. . . .blah blah blah. The 10 position rear shifter works very well.

Weaknesses:    No front derailleur trim positions make 2X10 applications more difficult to setup. Front shiftters ergonomics are absolutely terrible. Insufficient leverage to easily operate an XT top mount front derailleur. This is not a minor issue on the trail. Missed front shifts are the rule with this setup. If I would have paid anything near suggested list for these I'd really be disappointed, that said I still think the front pod is terrible at any price.

Bottom Line:
The big phat finger trigger which facilitates the front pods "dual release" feature was always rubbing my thumb knuckle no matter how the unit was adjusted, positioned or installed in either set of mounting holes. I gave this crap over a year before I threw it out.

An '05 Shimano 440 series front shifter pod absolutely blows this away in real world performance making this 770-10R a HUGE shift backwards in my experience. If you've just gotta maintain XT gruppo integrity and dual release for the front derailleur then I hope you have a long thumb or bigger hands. Otherwise try anything else.

Submitted by Wveddy a Weekend Warrior from NC

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2012

Strengths:    I have been a long time fan of XT thumb shifters. I started with 7sp thumb shifters, moved to 8sp trigger and on up the chain. I love the dual shift function. Shifting up and down with your thumb only is just plain awesome. It makes shifting easier and keeps your index finger available for braking. The shifting is smoothing and precise. The setup on this shifter is probably the easieist i have ever done. they dial in quick and have required little adjustment after intiial cable stretch. The direct cable routing on the XT rear derailer is way easier than monkeying with the big loop type setup. Cleaner too.

Weaknesses:    I have noticed a little friction in the shifter itself on my second set of these. I also have slack in the cable when it is in the smallest cog. the cable hangs loose. But it shifts perfect. this is only on my second bike, so it might just be the setup and cable routing unique to the that bike.

Bottom Line:
I love these shifters. it just feels more natural to just use your thumb to shift. They are smooth and have been delivering conistent shifts. I liked them so much, i bought a second set for my hardtail. the action is good, and the multiple downshift is great. very easy to dumb 3 gears for that unexpected little riser. The new XT 10sp system in gerenal is great. I love the gear ratio on a 1x10 setup. It just works and makes riding simple. There is way less fine tuning required to dial in the shifting. I just replaced a cable and i seriouly had to make 2 adjustments on the shifter after tightening the cable. Once it is aligned, it just works flawlessly.

Favorite Trail:   Moores Spring

Purchased At:   Chain Reaction

Similar Products Used:   LX, Older XT

Bike Setup:   Turner Flux set up as a 1x10 with RFace Cranks, XT cassette, chain, derailer and shifter.
Fat Chance Yo Eddy set up as a 1x10 with Rface Cranks, XT cassette, chain, derailer and shifter.

Submitted by ryguy135 a Racer from Derby, Ks

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2011

Strengths:    Shift with thumb only, clean shifts, 450 miles and only one adjustment needed

Weaknesses:    Cant multi-release, only multi-pull

Bottom Line:
Great shifters. Clean crisp shifts both sides up and down. Ergonomics could be a little better- the pull lever on both sides seems a little too long to me. Wish it could multirelease like XTRs. Overall, great performance though. Never used the indicators so I can't speak for them. Have 450 miles on the bike and both derailleurs have only needed one minor tweak each, not bad!

Favorite Trail:   Thunderbird State park OK