Shimano Acera Shifter

3.56/5 (52 Reviews)

Shimano Acera

Submitted by Daniel a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2012

Strengths:    Reliable, easy to use

Weaknesses:    Appearence

Bottom Line:
I had my Trek 3900 since 2010 (review written in 2012) and it has Shimano Acera on it. The large plastic shell protects and covers, but isnt the best for appearence. Ive never had a problem with my rear derailler thanks to Shimano Acera. It awlays shifts smoothly, and is a lot better then my moms Sram rear derailler which lets the chain awlays fall of the teeth and is very unreliable. I would highly reccomend this product to a friend.

Favorite Trail:   Appaliachian trail

Bike Setup:   2010 trek 3900-aluminum frame, trek fork with 5 inch suspension travel, gray/black/silver, 27 speed, thumb shifters, v-brake, 26 inch wheels, bontrager grips, bontrager wheels, bontrager ssr seat, bontrager water cage, adjustable suspension.

Submitted by Andrew1jsc a Weekend Warrior from Hollywood,Florida

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2011

Strengths:    shifts DECENTLY but i always hear grinding,and there are constant misshifts where the chain pops off. I always wash my bikes and lube all the parts right affter i hit a trail.

Weaknesses:    Today I was bunnyhopping in my neighborhood and my chain slipped to a different gear,like always i just tried to pedal and hope that it would correct itself. but this time it was different when i pedaled the whole derailer twisted and got caught in my spoke and the plastic part snapped in half.

Bottom Line:
It never worked well from the beginning. There was always rough shifting misshifts and the chain even came off several times and the final straw was when it snapped in half in my back wheel....I really expected more from shimano.... I ride on very harsh trails but at the same time i always take my time to maintain my things.

Favorite Trail:   only been to markham park

Purchased At:   dicks

Bike Setup:   diamondback topenga disk

Submitted by freshandfly101 a Weekend Warrior from Los Angeles, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2011

Strengths:    Simple, surprisingly strong on the trail

Weaknesses:    Plastic, integrated with brake lever, optical display

Bottom Line:
I bought the bike for an around the city kicker but it got me into mountain biking. For a year, this whole set has been trouble free, set it and forget it. I love it. I hate the plastic and gear display, but its an amazing value. I've jumped, crashed, ran rabbits over, and far more, nothing has happened to them.

Favorite Trail:   anything with dirt

Purchased At:   came with my bike

Similar Products Used:   alivio

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher 29er. SSR stem, post, bar. bb7 brakes w/ speed dial 7 levers, x9 shifters, deraillers, 980 cassette/chain, stylo crank, rock solid carbon fork

Submitted by joe a Downhiller from Vancouver Island, BC

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2011

Bottom Line:
I've had this model of derailluer for over 1 year. It is obviously not a performance part but it does well.

I ride hard, downhill and all-mountain trails, pushing my limits. I've gone through 2 of these derailluers. I know that for my type of riding I should invest more, but I'm poor and I don't need supreme performance. It does the job.

My first derailluer bent just from crashes and other stress. My second one just went 2 days ago when a stick got caught in the wheel.

I often lose performance because I don't replace my cables often, and they get gunked up fast. Cable replacements and cleaning the drive-train more often would get me more out of this product.

I'm surprised how well it does for what I do. Again it's not a performance part, but it's stood up to what I've thrown at it.

Bike Setup:   2009 Kona Shred

Submitted by spaceman2011 a Cross Country Rider from Maine

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2011

Weaknesses:    Weak hanger, incapable of maintaining a tune-up for 24 hours

Bottom Line:
I got this derailleur with the bike at a nation-wide sports store, but within two weeks of having the bike and riding it daily, it wasn't shifting properly, and in first gear it caught on a spoke of the wheel, and snapped the hanger clean off. I sent it back for the replacement as per the warrranty, and this store put another Acera back on. Again, I had problems with shifting, and I got so fed up with the problem, I took it to the store and said I needed it replaced, because I couldn't even make a tune-up last for a day on this derailleur. They claimed they had no other 8-speed derailleurs, and offered a free tune-up and cleaning/waxing of the bike. I brought it back home, the next day shifting problems again. I dealt with this for two years, and two weeks ago, the hanger snapped again after the derailleur caught on the spokes of my bike wheel (In 6th gear this time). In neither instances of the hanger snapping were my spokes damaged, not even paint scratched off. If your a non-serious biker, maybe 5 miles on the weekend, this derailleur will work fine for you, but anything more than that, you will unlikely be satisfied with the quality of the derailleur. I wouldn't recommend any serious biker purchase this product and expect it to perform even basic functions satisfactorily. I have gone through two of these derailleurs now, and both times they had the same issues. I maintain my bike very well, as I ride a minimum of 3 miles daily through every weather and road condition known to mankind, including rain and snow.

Bike Setup:   IronHorse Warrior 3.0, with 2.1"x26" off-road tires, set-up for year-round (Yes, in the winter too) road and light-medium offroad use.

Submitted by Fenitz a Cross Country Rider from Bucharest, Romania

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2011

Strengths:    cheap, easy to setup

Weaknesses:    not the best looking, heavy

Bottom Line:
Recomended if you, want to use your bike under normal riding conditions, relaxing after a hard day at work for example

Purchased At:   stock on my bike

Similar Products Used:   Shimano Alivio

Bike Setup:   front shifter: simano dual sis

Submitted by zhudgens a Weekend Warrior from Jacksonville Florida

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2010

Strengths:    smoothe shifting, looks good, does good on a city commuter or for training

Weaknesses:    heavy scratches easily

Bottom Line:
Good compnent as long as your not on a trail but will buy ultegra on a road bike next time

Favorite Trail:   Baldwin Trail

Purchased At:   from a friend

Similar Products Used:   xti

Bike Setup:   Diamondback Insight 1 700x23c use as road bike

Submitted by molten three a Cross Country Rider from Thame

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2009

Strengths:    Quick fast shift, was reliable and would avoid the biggest of hits

Weaknesses:    Broke very easily, plastic, not very appealing due to easy scratch

Bottom Line:
i would not buy for a cheap reliable great performing rear deraillieur pick a SLX much better, this one broke for me after a year of on off riding but completely gave up in deep riding, and has now snapped and bent the hanger along with a few spokes.

Purchased At:   with bike

Similar Products Used:   Shimano SLX m600 shadow

Bike Setup:   GT Aggressor xc3 08

Submitted by pipexp a Cross Country Rider from Temuco, Chile

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2009

Strengths:    Shift very well and fast.

Weaknesses:    It cage plastic design, heavy.
delicate

Bottom Line:
I got it 2 years ago, and works exactly like when i buy it.
shift fast and precise.
Be careful with this when fall down, because can be damage inside cage and not shows number of rings or shift bad.

Submitted by concepl a Weekend Warrior from manila, philippines

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2009

Strengths:    cheap, reliable

Weaknesses:    fine tune every once in a while

Bottom Line:
reliable, cheap, still working after all these years.

Favorite Trail:   none

Purchased At:   cartimar

Bike Setup:   aluminum frame, hardtail, mosso aluminum forks, mob 26 x 1 3/8 tyres, shimano mechanical disc brakes

Submitted by Sprinter3976 a Cross Country Rider from Alabang, Philippines

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2008

Strengths:    (Rear derailleur only) Durable, surprisingly quiet, decent shifting.

Weaknesses:    Heavy, plastic shell, easily gets scratched

Bottom Line:
Bought my bike stock, the Acera came with it. I bike to commute/workout on road everyday. I ride a basic trail (few short rocky downhills) about 5 times a week. With the everyday abuse, I thought I would be replacing my Acera sooner, but it still works perfectly. I had only tuned it once since I bought it. It has eaten sand, mud, grass, twigs, bumped rocks and curb, and it still works well. For an entry level component, not bad at all.

Favorite Trail:   La Mesa Forest Reserve

Purchased At:   Faren Enterprises

Similar Products Used:   Shimano Deore LX, XT, 105, Ultegra, Dura Ace.

Bike Setup:   '08 GT Outpost Disc (stock)

Submitted by AA a Weekend Warrior from Manila, Philippines

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2008

Strengths:    nice design, cool black color & easy to read indicators. Easy to shift

Weaknesses:    paint easily scratches, brake lever on right side reaches my 2 outer fingers when hard braking, need to adjust it...

Bottom Line:
It is an afforable component group for a starter bike, which suits my needs. As I gain more experience, will upgrade to 9 speed, possibly with Deore group & Cane Creek brake levers (all black)

Favorite Trail:   all

Purchased At:   Ross Bike Shop Cartimar

Similar Products Used:   none (yet!)

Bike Setup:   stock 2008 Jamis X trail 3.0 24s disc with Cat Eye Velo 8 computer

Submitted by AA a Weekend Warrior from Manila, Philippines

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2008

Favorite Trail:   all

Purchased At:   Dan's Bike Shop Cartimar

Similar Products Used:   none (yet!)

Submitted by Tommi from Canada

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2008

Strengths:    The Acera rear shifter on my Norco Bushpilot finally snapped in half, after 8 years of trail/ street/abusive riding.
I plan on getting another one and repair the bike. I found it easy to adjust,with seamless shifting if properly done.
As I've read, it's not the best for the exreme riders, but for what I do- streets, some trails and occasionally cross country- it worked out pretty well.

Bottom Line:
The bottom line: 8 years of riding everywhere, and a lot of abuse. Pretty good value, I'd say.

Purchased At:   Georges Cycle

Bike Setup:   2000 Norco Bushpilot

Submitted by Joel C a Weekend Warrior from Sydney, NSW, Australia

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2008

Strengths:    Bulletproof, strong

Weaknesses:    Heavy, front crank rings cannot be tightened nor disassembled

Bottom Line:
My comments are on the front crankset and rear cassette only.

A certain bike shop changed my worn alivio gear for this series a few years back and I didn't think much of it (I wasn't all that fussed about materials and so forth back then). Though I probably paid too much as I actually thought it was better than the original ware.

This is probably because they are made of steel and not aluminium, which explains why they have lasted longer and haven't gotten all bent and worn out like the aluminium ones did. Works well with the original STX equipment.

They've mainly been used for commuting but have held up well to the occasional bashing on kerbs and ramps etc.

The only reason I would replace them is that dirt has gotten between the rings on the front and I cannot actually pull them apart to clean them nor can I tighten them. Oh, and they're heavy.

Giving them a high value rating because they are really cheap for what they do (and how long they last). Otherwise, they are pretty average.

Favorite Trail:   Yo' Mama