Sachs Power Grip Extreme Shifter Shifter

4.62/5 (103 Reviews)

Sachs Power Grip Extreme Shifters

Submitted by Joel Rogers a Cross Country Rider from Lancaster

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2002

Strengths:    Simple, light, good design, gotta love the grip protruding out past the shifter housing

Weaknesses:    Cable change door is small and easily lost.

Bottom Line:
Very good shifter...too bad they went out of business. Mine are close to 6 yrs old, and despite missing of the cable port covers, they are still working like a charm...I'm only wishing that I would have bought an extra set when they were on closeout a few years back...

Favorite Trail:   Cannell Plunge

Purchased At:   Too long ago to remember...

Similar Products Used:   almost everything from bio-pace to suspension seatposts...

Bike Setup:   Specialized M2, XT, Marzocchi Z2 Atom, Velomax Climax's

Submitted by Brian a Weekend Warrior from Chicago, IL, USA

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2001

Strengths:    I have never had any problems with these shifters. They work the same as they did when I first got them.

Weaknesses:    I use an 8 speed cassette, but they don't make 9 speed. I think Sram bought Sachs too, so they may not even be making them anymore...I could be wrong.

Bottom Line:
If you're using an 8 speed cassette, pick up a set...they work well, and are a little different than Shimano and Sram. You can fid them for $30 new if you look hard enough. That's not a bad price for a product with one of the highest mtbr shifter product ratings.

Favorite Trail:   LSD???

Purchased At:   performance

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, precision billet

Bike Setup:   Ritchey St, morati cranks, moots post and bar, precision billet front/rear derailleur, etc..

Submitted by steve benson a Cross Country Rider from los angeles,ca

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2001

Strengths:    light, good grip. Great shifting with goretex cables, I have not had to adjust shifters/derailure for a couple of years of regular riding!

Weaknesses:    gips are slick when wet if not wearing gloves. . Rear shifter just broke after 5 years of service. Internal plastic mechanism unrepairable. Issue of weight vs durability.

Bottom Line:
I am looking for another set! Unfortunatly I haven't been able to find just a rear shifter.

Bike Setup:   Klein frame, judy dh, XT derailures, race face cranks, avid brakes

Submitted by jp averback a Weekend Warrior from montreal, qc,canada

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2001

Strengths:    well, here goes
1) i got them for 15 $. that's ALOT les then what you pay for shimano!
2)the fact that it's gripshift alows for more room to move your hands. shuttup , it works !
3) you can shift from last cog to first in 2seconds. useless , but comes in handy sooner or later
4) there are 9 , yes 9 , parts in total for this shifter
shimano pods have easily over 30 or 40
5)it's not shimano
6)morornically easy to tune

Weaknesses:    hahahahahahahah

Bottom Line:
these shifters are amazing
stock , they suck.
HERE IS THE TRICK U MUST KNOW !!!!
1) memorize the internals
2)pack the shifter with grease, not too much but enough , on the friction area of the shifter, this will make it quiter and faster
3) grease the cable slider
4) go out and ride dammit !
for more ideas , just email me dude ! feel free !

Purchased At:   my friend sold em to me

Similar Products Used:   ok , well ,
shimano, lx 9and 8s , xt9 and 8s , xtr 9 and 8s , alevio 8 and 7s , stx rc, sram 5.0, 7.0, sachs , etc

Bike Setup:   which bike ?
they are all 8 speed cuz mega 9 chains snap too ez

Submitted by Noah from Oregon

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2000

Strengths:    Crisp, dependable, adjustable, comfortable, easy to clean and lube, yellow!!!

Bottom Line:
These shifters are the coolest thing on my bike. They work perfectly and are easy to work on. A drop of tri-flo every few hundred miles keeps the shifting beautifully. Would be worth twice the $25 I payed for them.

Favorite Trail:   North Ridge, Mary's Peak

Purchased At:   MTBR- Used

Similar Products Used:   various grip shift models

Bike Setup:   Frankenbike- Mongoose race frame, Judy DH, Magura rim brakes, homemade wheelset and Deore level drivetrain

Submitted by kool keith a Cross Country Rider from phila.

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2000

Strengths:    crisp dependable shifting, cool color

Weaknesses:    took a while to get adjusted, but that could be the fault of the jackass at the bike shop

Bottom Line:
crisp shift if youve got a green or blue bike they look ill especially set up with some wildgripper mud tires(green)

Favorite Trail:   wissahickon

Similar Products Used:   lx rapid fire, xray

Bike Setup:   trek zx frame sx/r forks, full lx components, xray shifters titec stem seatpost

Submitted by Michael a Weekend Warrior from Mountains of TN

Date Reviewed: November 30, 1999

Strengths:
feel, preciseness, price

Weaknesses:
grips that came with it aren't comfortable without gloves

Bottom Line:
Good shifters, nice feel, but the grips are uncomfortable without gloves. The grips on the shifters aren't bad, but I am thinking about replacing the grips that came with them. 4 turds since the grips are not all that comfortable.

You really would like to know wouldn't you

3 months

XT shifter/brake lever, LX shifter/brake lever

'97 Schwinn homegrown suspension, Manitou SXr, LX/XT/Sram levers, Sachs shifters

Submitted by Marc T. a Cross-Country Rider from Saratoga Springs, NY

Date Reviewed: November 9, 1999

Strengths:
Perfect shifting, easy-to-read display

Weaknesses:
None that come to mind

Bottom Line:
Best shifters I've ever used. I've been using them for two years, and have yet to have a single problem shifting. My rear derailleur moves so quickly that I have to look back to see if it actually shifted. It's quiet, light, and not ridiculously expensive. I don't think that it's hard to twist the shifters, but that's just my opinion. Maybe the people below don't lube their cables every few months...

Skidmore Stables

2 Years

XT Rapidfire, Gripshift

Fisher Supercaliber
Manitou Fs-Ti
Lots of goodies

Submitted by Mikko Mellin a Weekend Warrior from Finland

Date Reviewed: July 22, 1999

Strengths:
Light weight,affordable,good look!

Weaknesses:
hmmm,none!!!

Bottom Line:
Good shifting,altought a bit hard to shift.With my XTR rear & LX front derailler these shifters are hugely better than my previously SRT400 crampys.Go buy a pair of these if accurate shifting means something to you!

3 months

Gripshift
MRX 100,
SRT 400,
X-Ray

Dacon frame,DH3 fork!

Submitted by Doug a cross-country rider from NC

Date Reviewed: February 24, 1999

Bottom Line:

I have had these on 2 different bikes over the past 2 years and they are working almost as good as the day I put them on. Keep in mind I have did little if any maintanance to them.I will soon buy another set for my current bike but only so I can put these on a spare I'm building up.These have never failed me . - Five chilli's

Submitted by john parker a cross-country rider from australia

Date Reviewed: February 24, 1999

Bottom Line:

sachs extreme shifters are reliable shifters but require regular maintanence to keep them working as they should.
the major problem i found was that they tend to become hard to shift.
but it isnt actually all the shifters fault.If you change your cables regulary
you will find them well worth the money.

Submitted by Bryant Carter a cross-country rider from Hampden-Sydney, VA

Date Reviewed: January 29, 1999

Bottom Line:

The Extreme shifters worked well, but they ended up being too hard between clicks to shift. At first that turned me on to them because the shifts were definite, yet as the system grew on me I realized that the mechanism was just too stiff---even on the smoothest setting. I recommed Grip shifts 8.0 or 9.0 because they are smoother with less effort needed to shift. The Sachs just needed too much power compared to the other SRAM shifters.

Submitted by f. jordheim a racer from twin cities

Date Reviewed: January 19, 1999

Bottom Line:

Working as a mechanic and being totaly addicted to bike components, i have taken apart, fixed, and used almost every system out there. I truely do know what i am talking about.Pros of Sachs E> price is right
they work very well when set up properly
great action and feel
very light weight
cable change hatch (is not as easy to use as it should be
cable can be tough to route through)cons. mabey not as fashionable as XTR or 9.0 Sl
(who cares >>>> posers!!)
cable isn't very easy to feed through the hatch. (minor)in closing: preference on twist or push is the biggest deciding factor, if you like twist these shifters will not let you down. the action and feel is better than sram. and the cost is excellent and I don't even care about that because i get the stuff for pretty much free. Givem a try they really work great.

Submitted by Wesul from Poland

Date Reviewed: October 19, 1998

Bottom Line:

Well, I don't like Rapid Fire shifters, so I buy Sachs Power Grip Extreme and...
I LOVE THEM!!! They are really great! They works great with Shimano XT or Sachs Quarz rear der. I'll never trade them for some Shi(t)mano Rapid Fire...NEVER!
If you want to have a great shifter for good price get Sachs. You have to try to feel it...

Submitted by alarmed22 a weekend warrior from Benicia, CA. (No. Bay Area)

Date Reviewed: September 24, 1998

Bottom Line:

Good feel. Not as easy to accidentally shift. I like the detents, they drop in accurately. I like the easy to see lens. Looks cool, that's about all.The problem is that I'm using TRX rear D so all the numbers are backwards! I hate that! Sachs needs to address that soon. A replacement kit would be nice.