Home | Reviews | Shifter | Sach

4.07/5 (15 Reviews)

Sach Power Grip Extreme Wavey Shifter

Submitted by ward p a Cross Country Rider from vernon

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2002

Strengths:    precise shifting

Weaknesses:    can accidentliy shift when hammering or free-riding.

Bottom Line:
Old Mike B here seems to have a pickle up his b*m. He doesn't know what he is talking about. If you know how to set up your drive train properly you should have know problem with these shifters. Accurate shifting is 1/2 set up, 1/2 product. Rapid fires can't jump the whole cassette in one shift like gripshifts, and I find higher level gp's to be very smooth and accurate. By the way Mike, the war ended 60 yrs ago, do you really think that the same people who built BB's for the nazi's still run Sachs today? Life goes on, leave the Germans out of it.

Similar Products Used:   gs 400's, all rapid fire, gp centera, gp quarz (my fave).

Bike Setup:   rocky mountain hard tail.

Submitted by mike b a Cross Country Rider from Sodom in the North

Date Reviewed: December 17, 2001

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    twist shifting is inherently wrong.
will not, will not, will NOT work with shimano derailluers--even if installed and maintened by a competent mechanic.
zero durability
just generally skanky and creepy in every way.
made by a company which made millions of ball bearings for the nazis in the second world war.

Bottom Line:
twist shifters are WRONG. they should go the way of the dodo and countless other species which have become extinct due to their inability to adapt to a changing world. when companies first began to make twist shifters, why were they so stupid as to not make them one hundred percent compatable with shimano deraillieurs? why did'nt they just come out with an integrated system? NO!!! they tell you to put a new SPRING or your deraillieur or to use some sort of contraption called a "rollamajig"? so i get to by a set of shifters that are crap AND something that makes my mechanic explain to me the meaning of hate?

my sachs shifters needed constant adjustment, never worked in the mud and just generally caused me worlds and worlds of grief almost every moment i owned them. the replacable rubber part that fit over the actual system had the durablity of a piece of bacon on a farmhouse breakfast table. i was always breaking cables. i started thinking about how badly my bike was shifting instead of how nice the dang thing rode otherwise.

and they're made by nazis, to boot. christ.

i've never owned any twist shifter that worked. not sachs, not sram, not even the chuck-nut toy company. twist shifters and a stupid contraption dreamed up by knuckleheads who all wished they were on motorcycles. they make a sickening racheting noise when you shift them, which makes you wonder whether or not you're ripping the derailliuers off of your bike.

no wonder sram is making a paddle shifter now.

i wish there was a way to give a zero score on this thing, becuase this is one of the few products that cause me to taste bile in my mouth every time i think of it.

Favorite Trail:   boggs

Purchased At:   avenue cyclery sf

Similar Products Used:   xt
grip shift crystal clear or whatever--this too is a horrible product.

Bike Setup:   don't worry about this. i don't use twist shifters on this bike.

Submitted by Guy Fisher a Cross Country Rider from Beersheba, Israel

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2001

Strengths:    Fast shifting, accurate.

Weaknesses:    Rubber grips tend to peal and disintigrate

Bottom Line:
I love these, the original plastic internal spring was replaced in 98-99 by Sachs for a metal one, stronglt recommended because the plastic ones tend to snap and break.

Purchased At:   Cannondale Dealer

Submitted by Mark a Cross Country Rider from Tucson, Arizona

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2001

Strengths:    Excellent performance with Shimano
Good multi-click non-indexing front shifter
Light weight
Inexpensive

Weaknesses:    Sometimes shifter collar barrel detached from shifter

Bottom Line:
I am a big fan of Sachs shifters. I started off with the Wavey shifter to replace the lousy front Shimano LX front shifter I could never keep properly indexed, and gradually used it on all my bikes. They are great, though recently I tried a friend's bike with Sachs Extreme shifters (bought VERY cheap on closeout $35) and they work even better, I like the more aggressive surface. With the Sachs shifters you can ride your hand up on the large outer flange or collar & give your hands a break from riding fatigue, or get more twisting power if you need it.

The multi-click non-indexing front shifter is a great time/hassle saver. Tried Ritchey's 9-speed rear shifter as well (which is a Sachs Wavey product) and it too works wonderfully. I notice Uncle Knobby likes SACHS shifters, too.

Only problem I have had is on one rear shifter. I crashed and after that the collar on the shifter would occasionally detach with use. I fixed it with a dab of superglue.

I was sorry to see these shifters dry up, I hope the new SRAM products work as well.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano LX (1997)

Submitted by NITF a Weekend Warrior from San Diego, CA

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2000

Strengths:    Comfortable grip with decent shifting for the price

Weaknesses:    Slightly sloppy shifting over time

Bottom Line:
Worked great for about a year then became a little sloppy, admittedly I could have pulled and lubed the cables to improve it but I planned on replacing them after they didn't compare to my SRAM Plasmas in shifting. Just ran into the same problem as Sean and my indexing spring broke so I have to replace them now anyways.

I will probably replace them with the same type either Extreme or Wavey again not sure if there is any difference other than the grip, but I really like the flared barrel.

All in all good shifters, excellent considering you can get the front for about $9 and the pair for $35.

Similar Products Used:   SRAM Plasma

Bike Setup:   C'Dale KV 900, Avid 1.9 Brakes with Ionic boosters, XT/517 rims, LX(r) and STX-RC(f) der.

Submitted by dave weatherall a Cross Country Rider from montreal

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2000

Strengths:    very, very precise

Weaknesses:    bit bland, but then it's euro right, so they obviously more concerned with something functional, rather than mad aesthetically pleasing

Bottom Line:
they work, what more can you ask? hammer them, glide them they still deliver unflinching shifting.

Favorite Trail:   bruno's wild ride

Similar Products Used:   XTR rapid fire, lx rapid fire, sram 9.0

Bike Setup:   check this for custom: barracuda comp frame, spin rear wheel, vector pro up front, 2000 hs-33 stoppers, sachs power grips, ringle moby seatpost, gt team issue seat, XTR front and rear der. (dial in very nicely with power grips) FSA carbon usa cranks with kooka rings, XTR ti cogset, Manitou Fs BULGE up front ouy grips, wellgo wam-1 pedals, norco axiom handlebar, cane creek c-2 headset, this bike is a contradcition in every sense of the word.

Submitted by Sean a Weekend Warrior from Tokyo

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2000

Strengths:    not Shimano, cheap

Weaknesses:    dodgy spring

Bottom Line:
They were sweet, until the indexing spring (the thing that makes the clicking noises) died! And no you can't fix it, without buying a new spring, which you can't buy cos nobody deals in parts these days...Anybody else had this problem?

Favorite Trail:   Six Foot Track, Australia

Similar Products Used:   Deore LX

Bike Setup:   Kona Explosif, Shimano drivetrain

Submitted by alex a Weekend Warrior from soggy england

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2000

Strengths:    easy to setup/use strong cheap

Weaknesses:    gives me blisters works backwards 2 normal gripshifters

Bottom Line:
mmmm click mmmm cheap ooowwww blisters!

Similar Products Used:   grip shift (snapped)
stx rc/alivio (ate tree)

Bike Setup:   univega ram900 triple chainset no f/mech (can't set it up)
pringle shaped wheels

Submitted by Ian a Cross-Country Rider from North Carolina

Date Reviewed: August 7, 1999

Strengths:
Looks
Thin Grips
Cheap

Weaknesses:
Front shifter not precice

Bottom Line:
Decent Shifters. My main complaint is that you have to do a bit of searching to find the front gear you want. Instead of clicking it once and you're there, I have to click, click, click until I feel it shift. I'm not sure why they made it this way, but I think it would be better if it was not. Other that that, it is fine

The woods behind my house

6 months

Grip shift

Pasific 8000yx (Great bike for the money) Low-end components (maybe part of the prob.)

Submitted by Joe.G. a cross-country rider from Watford,England

Date Reviewed: February 10, 1999

Bottom Line:

I have these on my bike thats 6 months old,they are vrey light and definately worth the money.Although they are a bit stiff but I am sure it is my cables, if you wan't some cheap,smooth,light,and good looking shifters get these.

Submitted by Peter a weekend warrior from Hungary

Date Reviewed: December 2, 1998

Bottom Line:

I've been using this shifter from Sachs for a while now, and so far I've had no problem with it. I used grip shift's product before this one, and that needed too much adjustment (maybe because I've Shimano XT rear derailleurs from 1993),
but the Sachs works perfectly.It's cheap -about the third of Grip shift's same level shifters- , massive -my brother had a crash, and landed the shifter on a rock, they both survived- , easy to repair -if anything should go wrong-
,and works good. What more do you want?

Submitted by marco a cross-country rider from Europe

Date Reviewed: August 26, 1998

Bottom Line:

Excellent shifting with Shimano derailleurs! Bought mine real cheap from LBS, 'used' as they were OEM equipment on some bikeBetter action than on any GripShift I have used, precise and not too stiff. (yes, the new cables and covers help quite a lot). Only problem is that these work in the opposite direction than my old GripShifts...

Submitted by Evil Yak a cross-country rider from Sandy-dandy Francisco

Date Reviewed: July 3, 1998

Bottom Line:

Yep yep yep... these are some damn wonderful shifters...
They came OEM on my Performance M-307...
When I first bought the bike... the shifters were gonna be the first things to go...
Then, I rode with them... no gripshit here... heh heh...
The shifting, for one thing is positive...
also, ya only click once for each gear.. not twice... that's a helluva lot easier....
Umm.. the shifting is closer too.. you can shift through a whole set of gears in one motion...
The disassembly is beautiful too... Ya can take the shifter and the barrel apart into two pieces... and there is a quick cable changer!!! Amazing... heh heh..
Later guys...

Submitted by Patrik a cross-country rider from Switzerland

Date Reviewed: February 28, 1998

Bottom Line:

We got a winner here. Just like the plasma rear-derailleur, these shifters are heads and shoulders above the competition. I rode everything (shimano, grip shift) but I stayed with these: Light, inexpensive, easy to service and very precise for shifting. Who needs Shimano when you have Sachs. My bike is now Shimano-Free and it works as well as the next. For less money. Hmm. Makes one think, doesn't it?

Submitted by David Pottage a cross-country rider from Southampton, UK

Date Reviewed: January 17, 1998

Bottom Line:

I brought these after reading a favourable review in the UK magazine Mountain Biking UK, and to go
with my Sachs Neos rear mec. They are twist type shifters like grip shift but twist in the opposite
direction and have clicks closer together which took a little getting used to. Their clicks are more
positive than the low end Grip shift units I had before, but probably no different to x-rays. Also like
x-rays they attach by a tension band rather than by grub screw, so they make no mark in the bar. They
cost about a third the cost of X-rays.
The front unit is micro indexed, which you may or may not prefer. I am undecided. Both front and rear
units have barrel adjusters on the shifter, so you can adjust while riding if neassary.
The two parts can easily be separated so it should be easier to fit to bent bars. They have a cable
replacement port so there is no need to take them apart, though this is easy if neassary. Internally there
are more moving parts so I would not recommend they be used to trek across the rain forest.
Overall: These are great, and I hear that Cannonade agrees with me.