Paul Components Mountain Thumbies Shifter

• Material: 6061 Aluminum
  • Clamp Size: ø 22.2mm (? Inches)
  • Compatible Handlebars: Flat, Riser, Cruiser

Submitted by mopartodd

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2013

Strengths:    Easy to mount and adjust. Easy to tell where you are on the gearing range simply by touch. Light weight and durable. Considerably less expensive than topend shifters.

Bottom Line:
I've had under bar shifters ever since they did away with above bar shifters years ago. I finally got tired of failed mechanisms, the cost, the maintenance, dead feel of under bar shifters. I replaced my M970's with a set of Pauls with Dura Ace shifters and will not go back. I just got a set for my SRAM set-up on the other bike as well.

Submitted by Alex Abbas a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2012

Strengths:    Light, precise, retro-cool, and you can tell what gear you're in by touch.

Weaknesses:    Above-bar shifting isn't the most natural placement. No indexing on the front.

Bottom Line:
I got the SRAM version for my hard tail and I love them to death. The shifting is fast and precise, and once you get used to feeling what gear you're in by the lever position you feel downright blind using button shifting. The front shifter isn't indexed like most mountain shifters but it's not a big drawback. In technical terrain it's a little inconvenient to reach above the bar to shift but it doesn't bother me much. I think it's fun to have a somewhat unusual and retro setup too.

One thing to note: the three springs on the right shifter that create the indexing are quite strong. I removed one of the three springs and overall I like it better, although now a severe shock will overwhelm the index spring tension and cause an auto-upshift.

Similar Products Used:   XT thumbshifters, Shimano Barcons, lots of Shimano and SRAM button shifters.

Submitted by ykbiker a Cross Country Rider from Yellowknife

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2011

Strengths:    Reliable, strong, extremly light

Weaknesses:    non

Bottom Line:
At first I wanted to try these out as I have been a thumbshifter since thats all there was. Anyways boy was I shocked. This unted mounted with the Ultegra 8 speed barend or the Dura ace 9 speed is super precise compared to other mountain shifter, reliable due to less parts and crazy light. A new set of XTR 970 shifters weighs 220 grams, on the scale the Paul with the Dura Ace shifter weighs in at 145 grams. Its a no brainer, these things Rock! One other thing, I have used bikes in Temperatures that go down to -40c and rapid fire shifters implode at below -28. The XT M732 work but become stiff and hard to shift. The barends work down to -40 with no change in performance. Price for price they are way cheaper $50 for the mounts $100 for Dura Ace bar ends =$150 the XTR shifters are $220.

Favorite Trail:   Lots

Similar Products Used:   Shimano M732 thumbies

Bike Setup:   Seven

Submitted by Holmes a Weekend Warrior from Berthoud, CO

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2011

Strengths:    Simple, reliable, versatile.

Weaknesses:    A bit expensive (since you still need to buy a shifter lever).

Bottom Line:
I started riding 1980's MTB's with friction thumb shifters. Also, I am lazy and hate adjusting indexed shifters. These mounts + Shimano bar end shifters(or other brands) in friction mode gives you a simple, reliable setup that can be used with just about any drive train configuration.

Similar Products Used:   Old skool thumbies back in the day.

Bike Setup:   Have used these (with Dura-Ace 9spd barcons) on a Karate Monkey, Voodoo Canzo, Long Haul Trucker.