White Brothers AP-1 Air Seatpost

Weight : 370 grams MSRP : $155.00

Intended Use:Cross Country Racing and All Terrain Riding
Travel:63mm
Spring:High Pressure Air
Damping:Pressure damping automatically adjusts to air pressure
Sizes:26.8 & 27.2
Length:350mm

Submitted by RSWMTB a Racer from Southern Pines, NC, USA

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2011

Strengths:    Dampens well.

Weaknesses:    Joint where post body joins rail clamping assembly.

Bottom Line:
JUNK! Poor Construction.

Was riding today and CRACK! The saddle was tilted straight up! HAd this on a ROAD BIKE to boot. Upon looking closely, under the boot (conveniently where you can't see it), the post body is joined to th eclamping assmebly with nothing more than MATED SURFACES. No welds, pins, rivets, anything...just two parts, stuck together. And when it goes, the cup-like mount at the top of th epost will have it's paper-thin rim break, as mine did.

Again, I had this on a ROAD BIKE (my cross training bike for my MTB rides ya know)...only thing 'hitting' it wa road vibration.

A poor product...don;t waste your money.

Favorite Trail:   Flat Rock Ranch

Purchased At:   Second Owner

Similar Products Used:   Thud

Bike Setup:   Bike it was on: 2000 GIANT TCR1 Road Bike

Submitted by annonymous a Cross Country Rider from Wislon, WY, US

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2008

Strengths:    light-weight & effective

Weaknesses:    torsionally weak... after riding this for a while, some play develops from side to side. I returned my first post and they sent me a new one, but after a month or so, the new one developed the same play. I got used to it, so it's no big deal. But it definitely feels loosie goosie. I'm also a big rider... 6'4", 200 lbs., so I put more stress on it than your average rider.

Bottom Line:
I've been riding this post for years. I'm used to the side-to-side play that develops quickly, but I wish it wasn't there. The post does it's job very well, but I wish it was just a little more bomber. I can't say that this is the ultimate shock post because I haven't tried any others. I'm giving this a "good" review, only because of the side to side play. If the post was stronger and didn't have the play, I would give it an excellent review.

Bike Setup:   Merlin XLM ty frame... all top of the line components.

Submitted by John Murphy a Cross Country Rider from Springfield, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2006

Strengths:    Smooth supple ride. It really took the edge off of the rocks/roots/pot holes on the trail. It is easily adjusted with a shock pump.

Weaknesses:    I snapped it in half on a road ride to the trails after about 10 monthes of use. They fixed it but it is sticking again.

Bottom Line:
Their customer support was very appologetic when it broke and I mailed it back to them. It took them much longer to return it than they said it would, but no big deal. I called them about it and a real person answered and I talked with the actual person who was repairing the post. Try doing that with any other company!! When I got it back it worked perfectly. I was very happy. But that didn't last long. I was out in wet conditions and it started to stick again. It wouldn't compress/return smoothly. I followed their lubrication instructions and it didn't return to preride smoothness. Needless to say I need to contact their customer support again. I will update the review after I get it straightened out. Everything I've heard leads me to believe that they stand behind their products so hopefully it all works out. I hope I can get it working as before because it was a great asset for the old hardtail!

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   Eko Sports/MRP

Submitted by Craig a Weekend Warrior from NJ

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2005

Strengths:    smooth long travel

Weaknesses:    a little side to side motion, but all my other sus seatposts did the same thing!

Bottom Line:
So much smoother than my Thudbuster, and looks better and is lighter. Doesn't lauch. Lots of travel

Favorite Trail:   anything with dirt

Purchased At:   Not so LBS

Similar Products Used:   Cane Creek, Rockshox

Bike Setup:   Hardtail

Submitted by LarryG a Cross Country Rider from Lexington

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2005

Strengths:    Great adjustability. Travel seems almost bottomless. No harsh rebound. Best of all, the incredible service from Tim at Eko Sport!

Weaknesses:    Not as good a a full-suspension bike, but you already knew that, right?

Bottom Line:
This seatpost started getting a lot of stiction after a year and a half of use. Tim talked me through an overhaul, then when I determined the bushing was worn he told me to send it back. He overhauled it completely at no charge! Excellent customer service!

The seatpost is just right for taking the harsh edge off. While the White Bros. was gone for repair I rode the Tamer seatpost which uses elastomers. There's really no comparison in terms of ride quality - the White Bros easily absorbs twice the impact of the Tamer. Plus I've never had an air leak in the White Bros., and even if I did, replacing an o-ring or two would most likely fix it.

Purchased At:   Local shop

Similar Products Used:   Tamer Centrik, Moxey.

Bike Setup:   Cove Handjob (steel) with so-so collection of parts - it's my spare bike.

Submitted by Steve M a Cross Country Rider from Houston, TX

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2005

Strengths:    Air spring provides infinate range of adjustment.Very smooth with lots of travel. Light for a suspension seatpost. Looks great.

Weaknesses:    Side to side play can be SCARY!

Bottom Line:
I've put about 300 miles on this post and it does work. The air spring is pretty smooth and easy to set up. It's the smoothest suspension seatpost I've tried and there is no tendency to launch you out of your saddle at any time, which sometimes is the case with other posts. The PROBLEM is that despite it being so smooth, it developed sie -to-side play (about 1/4 inch!) almost from the start and that can be scary when cornoring. Plus, it's bothersome when pedaling while seated on straights. It does NOT instill confidence at all and I don't really use the thing anymore. You're supposed to be able to "limit" the side play by tightening a pin and then adding lock tight, but it doesn't work. I'm pretty disappointed in the product. I've since rebuilt my old trusted Rock Shox post. The Rock Shox post is not as smooth, and doesn't have as much travel, but it works and it does not have side-to-side play either. Buyer BEWARE of this product!

Favorite Trail:   Ho Chi Minh Mamorial Park

Purchased At:   Universal Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox suspension seatpost
Coda (TOTAL JUNK)

Bike Setup:   Y2K Trek 7000 all XT

Submitted by JP a Cross Country Rider from Indianapolis

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2004

Bottom Line:
This is an update of my previous review from about 3 years ago. This is a great product and White Brothers stands behind it. My seatpost locked-up in the second season and wouldn't budge. My local shop sent it back to White Brothers and they made an upgrade and repair and I've been riding it ever since with no issues.

I use this post to race and ride cross country and it takes a beating. I've used many other seatpost shocks and never got more than a season out of them.

If you want "full" suspension without a weight and cost penalty, buy this post (my hardtail set-up weighs about 21.5 pounds). Don't expect it to take big hits, this is a seatpost shock after all, but it will definitely smooth out bumps, roots, rocks, etc.

There is a slight bit of rotation of the post when riding, but unless you're a roadie or a 300-pounder, it shouldn't bother you.

I also bought another identical post and put it on the stoker's seat of my mountain tandem. No problems with that set-up yet. As I said before, nothing beats an air shock when it comes to smooth, stiction-free travel.

Keep up the good work White Brothers!

Favorite Trail:   Pisgah - Black Mountain

Submitted by Warren a Cross Country Rider from Ottawa, Canada

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2003

Strengths:    light weight, etc

Weaknesses:    currently - side to side play - and now, its broken - I will follow-up. I am a 215lb guy, the scale for the use of the product indicates someone of my size can use it. I have done two fall rides with this post, and it snapped last night on an outing, without trying. it had some side to side play last night, and my rear tire slid out, the side to side play became the full way around.

Bottom Line:
I like the post, and it has some potential to by my version of a ST, but, this remains to be seen. I will give it one more test, then I am going back to the Thomson seat post for good.

Similar Products Used:   Thomson - no issues with this post.

Bike Setup:   2003 Norco Nitro HT, Mavic, Thomson, XT group, Raceface Turbine, crank brothers candy SL's

Submitted by Critic a Weekend Warrior from Tacoma

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2003

Strengths:    Light weight, easily adjustable, low maintenance.

Weaknesses:    Broke my first one without even trying.

Bottom Line:
This is a follow up to my original review from last January. Since I got my post back from White Brothers I have had no problems at all. It has developed none of the rotational play that has been observed by some users and only lost about 20 psi all summer. The instructions that I received with the rebuilt post are a little different from the original ones and caution against running the saddle too far back on the rails, so I pass that along. I am rating the value as only two chilis because the more I ride this post, the more I question whether the benefit of any suspension post is worth the expense. Overall rating is four chilis, because it does what it does quite well.

Favorite Trail:   Victor Falls

Purchased At:   Perofrmance

Bike Setup:   Schwinn Homegrown

Submitted by John from Brisbane Australia

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2003

Bottom Line:
Soon after posting a review for this post (back in jan) , the shaft in mine snapped. I emailed White Brothers who asked me to send it back to have a new shaft fitted, explaining that it was most likely one of a dodgy batch. I posted it off, not expecting to see it again for months (or ever!). Two weeks later (I live in Australia!) it was back on my bike and has run flawlessly ever since, I havn't even needed to top up the pressure or lube the thing. Terrific customer service.Highly recommended.

Favorite Trail:   still Look'n

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Chameleon.

Submitted by Some Guy a Cross Country Rider from Seattle, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2003

Strengths:    Super smoothe, light, super quality, sexy post, can adjust it to your weight (i'm super light, so i needed this post over the others which were meant for riders over 150 lbs, im about 130)

Weaknesses:    a hassle to adjust during a ride.... loses air slowly, my seal popped..=/........ pricey, and kinda sqeeky, but that was probably my seal about to blow, lol

Bottom Line:
This is a good post, light, good quality and all that, and smoothe. Unfortunately it loses ait slowly.. but that didnt bug me much.... and how you could adjust it to your weight was really cool. but, the seal broke on a ride about 8 miles out, and, well, i rode on it deflated for a while, hope i didnt ruin it, i still need to bring it into the shop. but.. i hardly ever looked at the post, or.. did anything to it, so i guess its kinda my fault the seals broke. but, overall i was very happy with it, it saved my arse on every ride.

Favorite Trail:   Lewis River Trail/ Skookum Flats

Purchased At:   uhhh..... forgot?

Similar Products Used:   Only a rigid titec

Bike Setup:   K2 ZED team, with some xtra goodies, discs, new fork, this post, ect.

Submitted by LGB a Cross Country Rider from SLC, UT

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2003

Strengths:    Smooth, ample travel; ease of use; no pivots!

Bottom Line:
Follow-up to my 6/02 post ... excellent ride properties; smooth, seemingly bottomless suspension. Improves time-in-seat dramatically with all the attendant bonuses (ie; better handling/traction) and takes the heat off the lower back.

Early this year I experienced binding in the post (due to loose/malfunctioning internals) and with 1 call to Eko sports and a week of shipping time I had a new one. Excellent customer service.

Purchased At:   Performance

Bike Setup:   Ibis, Manitou, Shimano

Submitted by Zack Henderson a Cross Country Rider from Orinda, CA, United States

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2003

Strengths:    Little stiction, very responsive, improves comfort when decending.

Weaknesses:    I noticed lateral movement in the post. It doesn't bother me, but by tightening the brass pin in the middle of the post, you can reduce the movement. It is also pricey.

Bottom Line:
This post is worth every penny you pay for it. The idea of having an air-sprung post is great. Having this post improves your riding by increasing the room for error and softening the downhills. I ride about twice a week, and this post has not shown any signs of weakness or wear. The White Bros. Ap-1 is definatly the way to go.

Favorite Trail:   I'm still looking

Purchased At:   Performance Bikes

Bike Setup:   Specialized Stumpjumper hardtail, XTR, Rockshox Judy TT (really old)

Submitted by Doug a Cross Country Rider from Cambridge, MA

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2003

Strengths:    Light weight, air ride

Weaknesses:    Everything else about the post is a weakness

Bottom Line:
I broke my 2nd post now. The dealer gave me a new post after the first post broke at the head. The second post did the same thing. I am not going to warranty this at all as I am done. Way too scary for me. There is stiction in the post and way too much side to side play.

With a name such as White Brothers, you would think they would test this post much longer.

Favorite Trail:   Hedgehog

Purchased At:   Merv's bike and sport

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox - bad deal also

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Brisbane Australia

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2003

Strengths:    Micro adjustable and very easy to dial in. Nice action with little stiction. Nicely finished and packaged. Emailed questions to White Brothers answered promptly by a guy who rides.

Weaknesses:    Rotational play is very disconterting at first.

Bottom Line:
I ordered this post at the same time I ordered my Chameleon frameset as I'd read a lot of comments about the unforgiving tail-end of the Santa Cruz hardtail. Well, the Santa Cruz's kick is not nearly as ferocious as I had been expecting and a good carbon post would have done the job fine.

That said however, I really like this seatpost. The slight rotational play worried me at first - I thought,"how will I ever get used to this!", but after only kilometer or so it ceased to be an issue. As some other reviewers have noted, the slight rotation feels almost natural.

The AP-1 suits the laidback-playbike feel of my Chameleon and has met all my expectations and then some. I bought the AP-1 primarily for comfort and really didn't expect much in the way of "high-performance". But a couple of weeks ago, just out of interest, I resisted the urge to stand on some very fast and particularly nasty rock-stewn descents (the sort where if you had a glass-eye you'd put it in your pocket for safe keeping) and was amazed at how well the AP-1 ate up the bumps, suddenly, a bike that was skittering all over the trail could hold a perfect line. This post begs to be sat on through the rough!

To sum up: Although I said the rotational play is not really an issue, I'd prefer it if there were non. Also, the AP-1 is perhaps not quite as stiction-free as White Brothers claim.

I hope I don't face any of the unfortunate failure issues some of the other reviewers have had to deal with, because I like this post tremendously. It makes the perfect hardtail even better.

Favorite Trail:   still searching

Purchased At:   Alfred E Bike

Similar Products Used:   Carbon posts. Looked at the Cane Creek Thudbuster but couldn't come to terms with it's sheer ugliness.

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Chameleon