Home | Reviews | Seatpost | USE

USE SX Shokpost Seatpost

USE SX Shokpost. Seatposts Suspension. The All rounder. Features: ? Travel: 2mm (2?) ? Weight: 374g (26.8) ? Length: 365mm ? Sizes: 26.8 / 27 / 27.2 Shims to fit all other frame sizes.

Submitted by Hanu a Cross Country Rider from Canada

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2007

Strengths:    Very smooth motion

Weaknesses:    clamp system

Bottom Line:
This seatpost is still stiction free after over 7 years/5000 miles of use on bikepaths/downhill/x-country.
Highly recommended!!

Favorite Trail:   Bromont

Purchased At:   PricePoint

Bike Setup:   1998 Trek 8000 with SRAM X9 drivetrain and Bontrager Race Light crankset.

Submitted by Silver Duke a Weekend Warrior from NorCal

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2007

Strengths:    Takes the edge out of sharp hits, especially ones that catch you by surprise. Seems to be well made and durable. Looks less ridiculous than the Thudbuster.

Weaknesses:    As mentioned in other reviews, the bolt setup is kind of goofy and non-intuitive. It took me a few tries to get it lined up just the way I wanted but once I got it right, I haven't had to mess with it once.

Bottom Line:
I'm a Clydesdale, 6'4" and 230 lbs. When I rebuilt my trusty old Killer Vee, I ditched my old Mag 21 fork and replaced it with a Surly 1X1 fork. While it lightened the bike and sharpened the handling, it was like riding a brick, albeit a very light one. On small, sharp hits that I didn't have time to get out of the saddle for, it was, lets just say pretty unpleasant. I bought the ShokPost and the 27.2 shim (nicely made, BTW) and, at the same time, put on some Maxxis Holy Rollers (2.4 front, 2.2 rear) to give the bike a little more 'squish'. I am very glad I did. The action of the ShokPost is a little hard to get used to at first. It doesn't feel like you have rear suspension as much as it feels like your frame is flexing a little bit underneath you. You get used to it pretty quickly, though, and after a while you forget it's there until you hit a bump and realize that bump used to be alot more bone-jarring with your old seatpost. I haven't really noticed any lateral flexing and the action is smooth and linear after a little bit of stiction at first. I ride this bike alot more since I bought the ShokPost, so that has to be a good thing and I haven't regretted my purchase once. Buy one, your junk will thank you!

Purchased At:   FleaBay

Bike Setup:   Mid-90's Cannondale Killer Vee with Surly 1X1 rigid fork, about as stiff a rig as you'd ever want.

Submitted by Busta a Racer from Maryland

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2005

Strengths:    It works!!!!

Weaknesses:    Side to side play, longevity, flaws in design/technology. Clamp.

Bottom Line:
I've been doing about 3,000 road miles per season on suspension posts after developing some sensitivty in my groin about 5 years ago. The SX is better than all of the others that I've tried. It's great compared to the competition.

However, the reality is that the technology behind suspension posts is not fool proof. Most of these posts use plastic keys that control the amount of play in the saddle. These keys are and integral part of the design/technology and they wear down rather quickly (which allows more play in the saddle. Therefore, no matter which post you go for, after some miles, you're gonna have lots of play in the saddle. I still have not figured out how to change the keys, but have tried on numerous occassions.

So when you go suspension, know that these posts are kind of like disposable items. You'll have to replace them, once they develop an unacceptable amount of play, and only you can determine that threshold. For some it's 3,000 miles, for others, it's 30 miles. It's a big pain in the arse, but hardly as painful as not being able to ride because you can't tolerate it, or developing serious complications in the groin area.

I say you'll praise these posts if you really need them, and curse them if it's just something your using to try and smooth out the ride a little.

They sell for about $129.00, which is too much for a disposable seat post. The flip side is how much are your nads worth to you?

And another thing. The clamp stinks and is a pain to adjust, but it does work. It's just more complex than it needs to be and does not encourage fine adjustments.

Favorite Trail:   I'm a roadie!

Purchased At:   Can't remember, but they all sell for about the same price

Similar Products Used:   USE Alien,
Rock Shox Road & Mountain Suspension Post

Bike Setup:   Pinarello Stelvio & Serfas RX Saddle (Road)

Submitted by BB a Cross Country Rider from Portland, OR, USA

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2003

Strengths:    Durability of main suspension

Weaknesses:    Clamp kit, service department (if there is one), inability to get parts in the US

Bottom Line:
I used this for three years and have put a couple thousand miles of trail on it. I was very happy with it, until now.

Near the end of a long ride, I swung my leg up & over the seat - well not quite over. I sort of kicked the seat, and it came right off. One of the flimsy bolts had sheered off in the top bracket. I had to ride the rest of the way standing up. I'm just glad that didn't fall apart while I was riding it.

I e-mailed the address on the website; no response. I e-mailed their US distributor; no response. I'm still looking for a clamp kit in the US. They sell them in the US but not here.

I'd have given it four chillies, but since it does nothing but sit on my workbench now, "fair" is the best I can rate it.

Purchased At:   Bikeworld

Bike Setup:   Trek OCLV; Bomber Fork

Submitted by Anthony Bichler a Cross Country Rider from Palisade, Colorado, USA

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2002

Strengths:    Was nice for the first two rides. Seems to be well-respected by the cycling press.

Weaknesses:    A very annoying top-out clunking. Difficult to reach customer service.

Bottom Line:
I am very dissapointed with this product after six rides. After my first two rides, I was ready to become a walking bilboard for USE and what I felt to be an amazing improvement to my bike and the industry as a whole. I could stay seated on aggressive, rough climbs, and my butt didn't hurt so much after the tough rides, but now--unfortunately--I am contemplating going back to a rigid post and returning my purchase as a DEFECTIVE PRODUCT. The post has developed a very, very annoying top-out clunk when it returns back to its top position. At first, I thought maybe it was normal, and I just needed to stay firmly seated, but it has gotten worse to the point where I am now flung upwards out of the saddle and the post CLUNKS--sometimes several times in a ten-second period while descending. You either have to be pushing down on the seat with all of your weight OR just stand--kinda defeats the purpose, huh? Not only that, but USE is hard to contact--an international phone number, contact option on website does not work, and they will not respond to my e-mail--A REAL BUMMER. Sometimes I really think the bicycle industry is going backwards. It seems that the intentions are good, but in the end, the products just turn out like cheaply-made, high-priced toys. I want to see a real push towards durability and function rather than lightweight racing. So few actual bike buyers race and are gram-conscious, but everybody suffers from this trend. I've been riding seriously for a long time now--my last mountain bike was seven years old before I retired it. I am extremely frustrated to see that the expensive parts on my new bike can't even last seven days before developing problems. :(

Favorite Trail:   Grand Mesa's Deep Dark Woods

Purchased At:   Price Point

Bike Setup:   Trek 8000, Marzocchi Atom Race, Shimano XT and SRAM 9.0

Submitted by Monica a Weekend Warrior from Sacramento, CA - USA

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2002

Strengths:    I don't know yet, haven't had a chance to ride - I can't make it work for me. Im just posting this for the hope that some good soul will read and reply with the magic help.
IT is light weight. Looks cool.

Weaknesses:    It doesn't have a SETBACK. My bicycle is a little small for me, so I really *need* to have my saddle all way back.
The set up is a mess up. You need much more balance to set up those bolts than to ride by a cliff. ;P

Bottom Line:
U.S.E.'s website is down. Hope someone from U.S.E. get to see my post and give me a hand here on making that work for me. Otherwise I'll just have to switch to Rock Shox or some other company without even giving U.S.E. a try. Customer service, guys. That's just like any bike component.

Only 3 Flamin' Chilis because Im neutral so far.

Favorite Trail:   The GORGEOUS one by the Natural Bridges in Santa Cruz

Purchased At:   One of those Santa Cruz shops

Similar Products Used:   Zoom suspension - just because it was *FREE*

Bike Setup:   TREK 8000 WSD (Women Specific Design), hardtail, upgraded to XT components, Rock Shox suspension, etc.

Submitted by nathT norman a Weekend Warrior from Portland, OR

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2002

Strengths:    USE customer service...adjustable pre-load...no need for a shim...

Weaknesses:    the post came with several millimeters of side-to-side play out of the box...clamp design...

Bottom Line:
here's the official word about the play issue: "This small amount of side play is 'normal' as if we made the slots too tight then the post would take for ever to settle in and actually work smoothly. Over time this amount will increase and when you feel it has become to much to bear, simply purchase a service kit and you should be good as new again.
We recommend that this is done annually, for normal amounts of riding, in order to prevent damage to the soft aluminium parts, better to fit a few bucks worth of bits often than have replace the whole thing!" ...I can't recommend this post b/c of the play...other than that it's a nice post...

Favorite Trail:   Heartbreak Ridge (Western NC)

Purchased At:   mail order

Similar Products Used:   cane creek thudbuster...

Bike Setup:   steel hardtail...bomber...

Submitted by Greoire Noir a Weekend Warrior from North Of Boston

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2001

Strengths:    Most everything. I love this post. Very well made. It's not made in China - All cheap cr*p. The English made some great quality parts.

Weaknesses:    Not really a weakness but the initial setup is somewhat time consuming. Once set up it's perfect.

Bottom Line:
Very, Very nice post. It performs flawlessly. Nice and smooth. Extremly well made. Best of all no outrageous marketing hype - Just good quality no nonsense part that works. Put this seatpost on a good steel frame with a Zochi in front and some XT you will have a very pleasant biking expirence, no matter where you ride.

Favorite Trail:   All of them

Purchased At:   Speedgoat

Bike Setup:   Steel Apex/BAM2/Bontrager/XT/U.S.E - All work great

Submitted by Scott a Cross Country Rider from TN

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2000

Strengths:    Seatpost works as advertised, it allows you to stay seated while pedaling over bumps you would normally stay seated for.

Weaknesses:    None so far except it is not full suspension.

Bottom Line:
For you hardtail holdouts or for those not willing to finance a full suspension bike this product really helps take the edge off. I got the seatpost at about the same time as my new fork and between both of them I can cover trails much quiker than before. I have been staying seated through stuff that before would have required standing. Howeve, I have noted what may be a consequence of this increased speed, my back hurts more. I am going to start standing a little more than I absolutely have to and see if this will solve the problem. So while I am pleased with this product I wonder if I should have saved my money from the post and a few upgrades and applied to that full suspension bike that I really want?

Purchased At:   Colorado Cyclist (on clearance)

Bike Setup:   95 Stumpjumper with manitou sxr

Submitted by Ron a Cross Country Rider from VA

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2000

Strengths:    It does what it says. It saves your heiney, and it does not cost a fortune

Weaknesses:    The clamp is a pain. I have broken a bolt or two over the years. First time set up is the worst, but it stays where you put it so that you don't have to keep adjusting- unless you break a bolt. Squeeks if it gets dirty, can be a little stiff in the cold

Bottom Line:
First let me say that I have abused this product for at least 5 years now. I weigh about 215 pnds and I have ridden this post hard. It has held up very well considering: my weight, my riding style, and the places I ride- I live in a place with very technical, tight, rocky, almost trials like single track- and I have hammered this post pretty hard. This post is great for taking the edge off of long rides. If you do a lot of technical, rocky, root hoppin' log skippin' and want something that will help to take some of the hammering off of your body this post is for you. This post will not allow you to take 3' drops with your ass super glued to the seat. It helps the most on those 4-5-6 hr epic rides because it absorbs a lot of the abuse that your body is usually soaking up. I find that I am more fresh and have noticeably more energy at the end of long rides when riding this post. On long technical climbs it allows you to stay seated, retain traction and save energy. It will absorb some minor to middle sized bumps and bangs on rocky technical spots and downhill runs. It takes a bit of maintenance- like regreasing the elastomers, removing the post and cleaning out the grit and water that accumulates(this will reduce the squeeks) and checking the bolts. This post will not take unlimited abuse, and does not provide a "full suspension" like ride. I am not a "racer"- I do long mostly singletrack rides in the middle of nowhere. I buy and use stuff that is durable and works and does not leave me with a 20 mile hike through the Blue Ridge or Applachian mountains. I have a brodie without a suspension seatpost and I really notice it when I take it out on long rides- I miss the USE on my Nevil. I would buy it again and reccomend it, I think $100 is worth less beating on my body. Old school east coast technical riding kicks ass!!

Similar Products Used:   rs

Bike Setup:   Nevil Devil, full XTR, Manitou Mars C - billy goat.

Submitted by Terry a Weekend Warrior from Niceville

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2000

Strengths:    Works well. Very little free play. Little stiction. Lightweight (weighs less than my original non-suspension seatpost).

Weaknesses:    The worst weakness is that the angle of the saddle cannot be adjusted - I would prefer that the back of the saddle be adjusted up a tad, but it is not possible.

The method of attaching the saddle leaves some to be desired. Several parts have to be held in place by gravity, tape, or bubblegum while the screws are started.

The screws are supposed to be torqued, but I doubt that 1% of the customers have a suitable torque wrench. I have never seen a torque wrench that would fit one of the screws - it would have to have a very small head. I had to take a wild-arse guess on the torque. So far, so good.

It comes with very little documentation. No exploded views, parts lists, or maintenance procedures.

Bottom Line:
It dampens out the worst of the shock to the backside. It is not all that noticable in use, except that those hits that hurt don't happen anymore. It is a worthy upgrade. It increases comfort, and it may help prevent some injuries.

Purchased At:   Speedgoat.com

Bike Setup:   2000 Giant Iguana

Submitted by Jan Myburgh a Weekend Warrior from Pretoria , South Africa

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2000

Strengths:    No more prostate/lower back torture

Weaknesses:    Needs regular maintenace

Bottom Line:
My current bike setup is made perfect by this post . It saves your back and prostate . The biggest advantage for me is the fact that you can stay in the saddle on long rocky climbs . Especially with a heavy hardtail like mine , it makes a big difference .

The only porblem is that I need to regrease it every month , especially after riding in muddy conditions . Fortunately this takes 10 minutes .

Bike Setup:   Diamond Back Vertec comp; Judy XC 100mm; Magura Clara disks

Submitted by jdearing a Cross Country Rider from MA

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2000

Strengths:    It works, straight up, straight down. No side wobble or back and forward rocking.

Weaknesses:    I had a tough time setting this up. The inline clamp that mounts the saddle to the post can be tricky or at least for a rookie like myself. I eventually stripped the hardware. The guys at the shop set it up properly in about 2 minutes.

Bottom Line:
Makes for a smooth ride. I weight about 160 lbs and I can fell when this post is at work. Really helps me stay seated on rocky uphill climbs. Good up grade.

Purchased At:   Cycle Loft