Home | Reviews | Seatpost | USE

USE Suspension Seatpost Seatpost

3.8/5 (5 Reviews)

Submitted by phil a Weekend Warrior from kentfield, ca

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2001

Strengths:    It works - smooths ride of an aluminum frame on the trail. Reasonably light for a suspension seatpost.

Weaknesses:    The part where the seat rails rest busted in half.I e-mailed the mfg. about getting a replacement part and got zip response. The whole seat clamp configuration is kind of funky and I don't think too reliable.

Bottom Line:
Given the poor (none) customer support and IMHO unreliable seat clamp set-up, I'd pass on this product.

Favorite Trail:   eldridge grade

Purchased At:   I think nashbar

Similar Products Used:   NOne

Submitted by Lawrence Winterbottom a Racer from London

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2000

Strengths:    Light, simple to install and use.

Bottom Line:
USE make well engineered,light and value for money seatposts. Their aftersales back up was excellent. I lost a part of the cradle when overhauling the bike. They sent me a free replacement that arrived the next day by first class post.

The seatpost works superbly on a tandem where the stoker has no warning of impending potholes and makes saddlesores and (most) arguments a thing of the past

Favorite Trail:   High Peak Trail

Bike Setup:   1937 Claud Butler tandem with wheelsets for touring, racing and offroading.

Submitted by philip Harrison a Cross Country Rider from Reading

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2000

Strengths:    It work and works and works - in other words it does the job its meant to.
I am not big on maintinance! so if it works, thats great for me.

Weaknesses:    could be lighter, but I here the new ones are very much lighter.

Bottom Line:
I was one of the riders that thought shock posts were just for softies, but after riding over the Andes last year I know that I would have really suffered without one and with 30 mile up hills it certainly did the work on the way up as well as down. I have recommended USE shock posts to several riders and all have come back with positive feedback.

If you want to ride faster over bumpy ground - its for you.
If you just want to be able to sit down after a 500k ride over the Andes - Its for you.

Favorite Trail:   2 day down hill from Hualla Hualla pass in Peru - 4760 m to 138m brill

Similar Products Used:   just a suspension bike rather than a hard tail with a shock post. Great weight advantage and it almost does the same job but without the bobing.

Bike Setup:   Giant ATX 890 with USE shocks on the front (why did they stop makeing these now very rare and very good forks)

Submitted by Matt Guffey a Cross Country Rider from Watertown, MA, USA

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2000

Bottom Line:
Please see my updated review under USE SX. (They did right by me)...

Submitted by Matt a cross-country rider from Framingham, MA

Date Reviewed: December 23, 1998

Bottom Line:

Here's what I sent USE (info@use1.com)Hello,Until recently I've been very happy with my USE post.But it broke recently leaving me to finish the last two
hours of a 4 hour mountain bike ride standing up. I've owned it for two years and upgraded the stock
elastometers with springs.Two rides later it broke.The Local Bike Shop where I bought the post went out
of business.What sould I do.Thanks, Matt

Suspension saddle...not seatpost.

I have FS MTB right now. I am planning on picking up a FS 650B in the future. I have a bad low back, so, I want to find a seat with some suspension. I ride my shocks essentially locked out most of the time so that they only work when the bumps are big enough, but, I want some added cush from a suspe ... Read More »

Cheap Suspension Seatpost or No?

So, I have two more parts to buy, a seat post and a seat post clamp. If SheldonBrown.com is correct, it looks like I can transfer these parts over from my old frame to my new frame if I need to, BUT...I'm considering ordering a suspension seat post. I've seen some online for about $25, the best on ... Read More »

Suspension Seatpost Suggestions

I recently started riding a Redline Monocog Flight 29er singlespeed and love it with one exception. I do a lot of riding at places that are pretty rooty and I've noticed that my lower back is sore, like it never was when I was riding my full squish. Age sucks! Anyway, I'm thinking about trying ou ... Read More »

Fox suspension seatpost?

I am in the market for a suspension seatpost- looks like the most serious one is the Rock Shox Reverb, and that Fox should be coming out with one soon. When will that happen? Does anyone know? I saw "Spring 2011" but haven't seen anything else yet. Thanks for the info!Read More »

Suspension seatpost for my bike?

Hello folks. Since buying my bike I've been gradually changing the components. I've started with the contact points and moved from SPD to flats, changed the grips and fitted bar-ends and changed the saddle too. It's getting more comfortable but I think I'll try out a suspension seatpost. Here's the ... Read More »