Home | Reviews | Seatpost | USE

3.89/5 (9 Reviews)

400mm Seatpost

Submitted by ffelix a Cross Country Rider from Truckee, CA USA

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2008

Strengths:    Looong. Stiff. Innovative clamp is highly adjustable. Great scale markings on tilt & height.

Weaknesses:    Hard to adjust.

Bottom Line:
The U.S.E. Sumo is an awesome seatpost for several reasons: first, it's long & stiff enough to let you get away with a smaller bike frame. It's hard to find long seatposts, which are really useful to a lot of women since we tend to have longer legs & shorter torsos. That means we're often way too stretched out on a larger frame.

Second, the clamp design is awesome! Traditional seatpost clamps don't actually allow the seat angle to change much, or even at all. But the U.S.E. design allows the seat to pivot infinitely. This is fantastic news for people who have trouble getting the weight off their soft parts.

Another fantastic feature of this seatpost is the permanent scale markings on both the tilt & height, which make it incredibly easy to reposition your saddle correctly after, say, lowering the seat for technical trails or to fit it in the car. No more homemade marks that just rub right off!

There are a few problems, though, which I hope U.S.E. will fix. Putting the saddle onto the post can be a nightmare. The bolt is short, so you pretty much have to take the clamp completely apart, then juggle all the little pieces back together again. This is tricky because the tolerances are snug--the seat rail grooves are a ridiculously tight fit.

Maybe that's to keep the seat from slipping back & forth, but it means it can be really hard to install & adjust the saddle fore & aft. For instance, to get my Saddleco saddle--whose rails are a tiny bit closer together than the Sella I replaced it with--onto the seatpost, I had to lever a wedge of steel between the rails, then use a rubber mallet to adjust it fore & aft. The Sella wasn't as much a problem, though.

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine Rim

Bike Setup:   Ellsworth Epiphany, Saddleco seat.

Submitted by evilgeek a Cross Country Rider from calgary, canada

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2006

Strengths:    stiff but smooth, reasonably light

Weaknesses:    clamp is a bit finicky

Bottom Line:
this is for a 400mm x 31.6mm carbon post with SUMO clamp.

i bought the post to save some weight, but also to smooth out the ride of my hardtail, and it does both. it's not the lightest carbon post around, but i still saved 140g switching from my old aluminum post. the carbon post is remarkable in that it's very stiff while peddling, but soaks up high frequency vibration, making it much less tiring to sit on. my old alu post flexed like mad when hammering, but beat me up the rest of the time.

i cleaned my frame of grease before installing, and it hasn't slipped at all. the seat clamp was a bit fiddly, but once set up it's been solid.

Submitted by Chuck a Weekend Warrior from Oakland, CA

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2005

Strengths:    Very light.

Weaknesses:    Weak, flexy, creaks, the head - which is press fit into the post can spin.

Bottom Line:
I bought the post because it was light - lighter than the Thomsons, and reasonably priced at $90. There were no initial problems, but after use it began to creak. I thought this was the head - composed of many different parts. Lubing seat rails, bolts etc didn't have much effect. Recently the creaking got worse - I could feel movement in the post. Yesterday I noticed my seat had twisted about 10 degrees in the course of a technical climb. I smacked it back to straighten in, and noticed the head was twisting in the post.

Enough of that - I returned it today, and got a Thomson.

I ride hard - so this post may work for people with a lighter touch- but not me. I would not recomend this post to anyone who considers themselves tough on equipment.

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Thomson, Titec, Syncros etc...

Bike Setup:   Foes FXR, AM1 - this and that.

Submitted by Peter Clark a Cross Country Rider from Nottingham England

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2000

Strengths:    A very stiff long seat post, which is reasonably light for the length. No matter what shim used it always holds and feels stiff

Weaknesses:    The price even though it is a very good seatpost.

Bottom Line:
This is one of the stiffest post I have try which gave a very reasuring feel to my bike as many seat post have either been to short of had to much flex which made the sadle fell very unstable when putting power down on the cranks.
Overall this is a very good seatpost esspecialy if you have a small frame which needs a very long clearence from the the top tube to get the right sadle hight. The only problem is the price could do with being $10 cheeper

Favorite Trail:   Casleton Circle England

Purchased At:   The Bike Shop Derby England

Similar Products Used:   power tools 310mm seat post + Balance 300mm seat post

Bike Setup:   KHS comp soft tail for cross country racing

Submitted by Charlie a Cross Country Rider from Sheffield, England

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2000

Strengths:    Post clamp broke on first assembly which doesn't bode well for future use. However the customer service at USE to get a replacement was superb and they turned it around in 24 hours. The product seems really well made despite the initial hicup, so we'll see how it goes.

Bottom Line:
Well designed post, v/light, innovative clamp although broke straight away during assembly. Must have been a bad one. USE were very good at getting it sorted so we'll see how it goes. Not bad product for the money. V.light

Similar Products Used:   Syncros 7075

Bike Setup:   Orange Sub-5

Submitted by andy a Cross Country Rider from canada

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2000

Strengths:    looks, longevity, fit any bike, 400mm, lenth

Weaknesses:    wont compensate for bad frame geometry {the one's that make you use long post,so they can use less mat {{to cut on weightand cost}}

Bottom Line:
it rules

Similar Products Used:   none after buying this

Submitted by terry from wpg mb ca

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2000

Strengths:    strong lite fits every bike i had and to come the cleanist setup

Weaknesses:    getting the word out

Bottom Line:
all ti posts flex . this is the last s\p ill ever buy for the rest of my life

Similar Products Used:   syncross ti

Bike Setup:   hardtail- full susp ti -allmost anything between- to single speed

Submitted by Alex Brown a Cross Country Rider from Rochdale, England

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2000

Strengths:    Light, strong, double long!! fits all bikes, also available in 320mm guise

Weaknesses:    A touch flexy

Bottom Line:
if you run a small frame like me (16" - 6ft tall) then you're going to have trouble finding a lightweight long and DURABLE post. I have run the U.S.E post for over a year now and i agree that is can feel a little flexy but the back of the bike is a little hard anyway. I love this post and have never had problems with slipping or squeaking, maybe 'cos the shim on my bike (30.2mm) is a composite whereas the smaller ones are machined aluminiumn. Gotta be four burning turds for value and performance.

Favorite Trail:   Black Hambleton

Bike Setup:   Cadex CFM 1 carbon hardtail, RS Judys, XT groupset

Submitted by Neal a cross-country rider from UK

Date Reviewed: October 30, 1998

Bottom Line:

Needed a nice long seatpost to fit a Sunn frame with 26.4mm diameter seat tube. USE seemed to fit the bill- light and one size fits all with the appropriate shim. Had it on the bike for a year and have always had a problem with it creaking due to the shim system not giving proper contact between post and seat tube. Also the post is really flexible so if I rode over a bump it shot me out of the seat with its compression rebound. I've finally had enough and changed to a Selcof Team but thats another story. Stay away from shims!

Replacing seatpost to 400mm on SJ 29er carbon 15.5"

I´m looking into buying a SJ carbon HT 29er. I currently ride a size 16" 29er (I´m 5ft 7) and the bike I´m looking at is a small 15.5". The length of the frame is perfect for me but the stock 350mm seatpost is 2cm too short (when reaching the minimun insert), would installing a 400mm seatpost be to ... Read More »

Best long seatpost: 400mm, setback, 27.2mm

I'm looking for a nice, safe, but light and bump-compliant seatpost in 400mm length. It also needs to have a setback of 25mm or so, and it must be 27.2mm diameter for me. Right now I see the carbon fiber Truvativ Noir Team and Noir World Cup posts at about 250g. That's not terribly light and re ... Read More »

light 400mm seatpost

Can anyone suggest a light 30.9 x 400mm offset seatpost? not having any luck finding one!Read More »

How to : Extend a 400mm seatpost

I have a short torso with long legs. When I need a bike, I'm in between two frame size. I need a medium frame (usually with a 80mm stem) for my torso but I would need a large frame (19 inches seat tube) for my legs. Most people always told me to get a large frame but I don't like the handling. Here ... Read More »

light 27.2 carbon seatpost, 25mm setback and at least 400mm length?

anyone know options? most of the usual ones I know of max out at 350mm and I need the extra length. thanks.Read More »