Truvativ XR single clamp Seatpost

1.83/5 (12 Reviews)
Weight : 299 grams

• Forged AL-6061-T6 external head lug
  • Extruded & CNC'd AL-6061-T6 tube
  • Bead blast black for increased fatigue life
  • DIN 12.9 high strength heat treated cromoly bolts
  • Easily adjustable seat tube angle to 65 degrees
  • 30mm saddle clamp offset
  • 250mm / 350mm lengths
  • 26.8/27.0/27.2-30.0/30.9/31.6mm diameters

Submitted by Lanvillas

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2013

Strengths:    Rigid, holds the seat in place

Weaknesses:    Not the lightest seatpost out there...

Bottom Line:
Great seatpost! I have not had the trouble everyone else appears to be experiencing. 4 chilis only because it is not the lightest seatpost out there, but it is solid.

Similar Products Used:   Too many to count...

Bike Setup:   XT FD/RD LX shifters, SRAM XO cassette, shimano SPDs, Spesh Riva Mtn saddle...

Submitted by Nick a Cross Country Rider from Cambridge, MA

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2007

Strengths:    Looks nice, until the finish rubs off

Weaknesses:    Slips and slides all over the place, both on the saddle and in the seatpost, creaks like crazy

Bottom Line:
I had no qualms with this seatpost the first number of rides, but that quickly changed. The seat started creaking no matter how much that flimsy bolt was tightened, and soon after it started slipping into the seat tube and rotating wildly. It has convinced me to order a Thomson, which is apparently a common side effect of owning this seatpost!

Similar Products Used:   a number of other generic seatposts, but nothing as bad as this

Bike Setup:   Ibex Asta X7

Submitted by Brian Baker a Weekend Warrior from Charleston, SC

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2007

Strengths:    nice finish

Weaknesses:    Like others have said it creaks alot and gets annoying, although I havent had adjustment problems yet.

Bottom Line:
If you stand the creaking and its cheap enough go for it. (maybe a lighter rider would have better luck)

Purchased At:   came on bike

Bike Setup:   KHS DJ200

Submitted by Clinton a Downhiller from Toronto, ON

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2007

Strengths:    Pretty light, easy to adjust... which is a good thing as you will be adjusting this quite a bit

Weaknesses:    Does not hold the seat at the angle you want, loves to slide back, mine apparantely holds the seat at a funny angle as well. Finish wears off. Creaks like crazy for no reason.

Bottom Line:
Came with the bike, I thought Yeah! a Truvativ product, should be built well... nope, I hate it, makes your ride horrible...This bike is a dirt jumper, and most dirt jumpers don't use the seat, possibly why this seatpost was included in the groupo. I have a thompson on order, can't wait till it comes in.

Purchased At:   Bike room

Similar Products Used:   Truvativ bars, stems, other seatposts, cranks

Bike Setup:   2006 KHS DH-200

Submitted by Dan a Cross Country Rider from Jim Thorpe, PA

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2007

Strengths:    fairly light weight, nice amount of offset

Weaknesses:    freaking creaking.

Bottom Line:
After 2 rides the junction between the post and the clamp started creaking and it will not stop. It seems to be a pressed fitting, not a one piece/machined setup like a better qulaity seatpost might offer. The setback is nice (and necessary for my setup) but it places a lot of torque on the post/clamp junction which, as I said, is not real sturdy to begin with. Also... single bolt clamps are always questionable in my opinion. I am replacing this post with a Thomson before it breaks and I become impaled onto it.

Purchased At:   on a Jamis XLT

Similar Products Used:   Thomson, Kore

Bike Setup:   Jamis XLT, MAvic Crossmax, other stuff that is not relevant

Submitted by James a Weekend Warrior from Sydney, Australia

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2006

Strengths:    looks good, simple to set up, value

Weaknesses:    the clamp is not strong enough, over a few hours of riding, the saddle would end up at an angle that would put a bmx er to shame. twists at the clamp when body weight shifted and eventually drops height.

Bottom Line:
Good value but the sliding of the saddle is annoying. If looknig for a brand name and value, this is for you but if you don't want to be stopping every 2-3 hours to adjust saddle height and angle, pay a bit extra for somthing good.
single bolts are always easy to set up and bead blast finish looks and feel the shiz.

Bike Setup:   05 Jamis dakar xlt1.0 stock, + new tyres + fox van R's

Submitted by B a Weekend Warrior from Ithaca, Ny

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2005

Strengths:    Cheap if you get it on closeout... looks cool?

Weaknesses:    I bent my last seatpost on a bad landing, so I scored this one for super cheap and thought it would be OK. Usually I'm good about reading reviews before I buy, but this time I blew it. I weigh 225lbs, bent it on an XC trail on the first ride. Truvativ says it's got a 1 year warranty, but why would I want another? For 8 bucks, I don't feel too bad.

Bottom Line:
For a road bike, maybe?

Favorite Trail:   Shindagin Hollow - Area 51

Purchased At:   Jenson

Similar Products Used:   Trek/Icon what ever came on my bike, and a Kalloy

Bike Setup:   Trek 7000, very rigid.

Submitted by Peter Zab a Weekend Warrior from Bronx

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2005

Strengths:    nice looks

Weaknesses:    built quality

Bottom Line:
I just purchased a new bike from Woodstock.com. And I love the bike. Unfortunatelly it came with Truvativ XR Single Bolt seatpost. On my third ride I was riding some intermediate trail, at some point I went down some steep rocky hill and as I lost by balance I went down, at least I had a split of a second to decide which side to go down and I chose to fall on my left side. I got some bruises the bike did not suffer at all but the seatpost bent!!!!.
It is a piece of crap, I am 160lb and while falling i put almost no weight on the seatpost. I hope guys from Woodstock. com will change their choice of a seatpost. Don`t buy this seatpost, it is cheap $19.00, so what , why flush your $20 bucks down the toilet. Get something more expensive which will last.

Favorite Trail:   van cortlandt park secret trails, hunter mountain

Similar Products Used:   none so far

Submitted by Matt a Weekend Warrior from Champaign, IL, USA

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2005

Strengths:    Clean looking, inexpensive

Weaknesses:    Weak Weak Weak Weak

Bottom Line:
Same story as the other people here. I'm a pretty big guy (250 lb). This was the first singletrack ride for this bike. It took some light hits with no problem, but bent on the first big hit (about 1.5 hrs into the ride). This probably isn't an issue for a lighter rider, but this post just doesn't cut it for a clydesdale.

Submitted by Mike Ryan a Cross Country Rider from Melbourne, Australia

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2005

Strengths:    Nice looking, full of branding
Smooth ride

Weaknesses:    A bit creaky at times

Bottom Line:
Am pretty happy with this post. No major issues at all - does the job that it was asked to do and that was hold the seat that I sit my arse on.
I am fairly light so it certainly hasn't bent on me at all.
Its pretty light and looks real nice so I have no complaints

Purchased At:   MBC

Bike Setup:   Jamis Dakota AL, Xt Rear, Serfas slickies, Avid Brake Levers, Hayes Ones Diskies

Submitted by Honest Review a Weekend Warrior from Alpharetta GA

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2004

Strengths:    Looks Like a Clean Black Seat Posts
350MM Length w/ lots of Dia options
Single Clamp seem to work fine
Clamp Offset

Weaknesses:    Did Not Last as long as I would have liked (Bent)
Creaks a Little but if you just overtighten slightly it seemed to knock out a lot of it

Bottom Line:
I have only ridden the bike semi aggressively on weekends about 50-60 miles so far and althought I am a big guy (285lb)I would have expected it not to bend at least not so soon or till some big jump or wreck, but it just gradually kept bending till it is obviously noticeable as my buddies pointed out. Its ok I suppose for a entry level and possibly my weight but the previous post makes me suspect of that reason and possible bad wall thickness or something. I wouldn't recommend buying it if your a hefty person.

Favorite Trail:   Blankets Creek GA

Purchased At:   Came W/ Jamis XC Comp 04'