Titec X-Wing Carbon 191 Seatpost

Weight : 191 grams MSRP : $135.95

Leading edge carbon technology, unmatched durability, and a great price – all standard on our new Carbon-191! Available in two lengths: traditional 350mm, and extra-long 390mm.
  • Material: Carbon Fiber
  • Offset: 25mm (1")

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Bizario a Cross Country Rider from Rexford, MT

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2003

Strengths:    Looks good, Light & does it's job.

Weaknesses:    Seems to be just a hair oversize.

Bottom Line:
    I know that the X wing design has had allot of bad publicity for coming loose. I have had this seat post for about 7 months now and it has stayed tight the whole time. I ride year around here in Montana and the temperature change hasn’t affected it. The post size does seam a bit larger then others. I haven’t checked it with a micrometer but coupled with my Mount Vision Pro having a tight seat tube and this post it gets pretty snug. I tried it in my GT Zaskar and it fit ok there as well as the Syncros post from the GT fit my Mount Vision Pro fine. Maybe I need to do a trade;o) Bottom line is this post is light and holds the seat where it belongs.

Favorite Trail:   Web Mountain & Cliff Point

Purchased At:   Kootenai Konnection

Similar Products Used:   Syncros, Control Tech, and Others

Bike Setup:   Marin, Mount Vision Pro

Submitted by Bruno Abreu a Cross Country Rider from São Paulo, Brazil

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2002

Strengths:    Strog, light, good seatclamp fasten the saddle really tight, verry good vibration absortion

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
    At firt place I bought them because carbon has good shock absorbing properties ( my aluminium hardtail was kind of unconfortable to ¨seat on¨in bumpy trails) So I visited the Titec website to check out what they had to offer in carbon seatposts (I have a great respect for those guys at Titec since they came out in the early 90´s with their 118Ti bar and also trust their warranty politics)their products realy bring you what they promisse!!! After I installed this seatpost my bike went 100 grams lighter and much more confortable to ride in iregular terrain and it also took an respectable amount of bumping without sliding down and/or showing any kind of cracking or damage. I strongly recomend them to any Cross Country Rider!!!

Favorite Trail:   Pico do Gavião Trail

Purchased At:   Kamikaze Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Kalloy Uno, Shimano Deore DX, Ritchey Comp

Bike Setup:   Alfameq Tirreno, Proshock HR 70 fork, XTR rear and front deraillleur, XT shifters, hubs, cassete and bottom bracket,Lx Crank, Ritchey WCS Stem and Handlebar, Chris King headset, Mavic 517 rims, Shimano 959 pedals, Selle San Marco Concor Light saddle,Maxxis Wormdrive Tires, Titec Micros bar ends

Submitted by just a mountain biker a Racer from London, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2002

Strengths:    Cool looks, light weight, ease of setup, very strong.

Weaknesses:    hard pressed to find any yet.

Bottom Line:
    Hey its a seat post. Titec has really improved its seat clamp mechanism. I have not had any trouble with this post. It is very quick and easy to install, new clamp is very nice, unlike the old micro-adjust style. The Carbon Fiber design is really strong. I have ridden for several consecutive hours on all types of terrain, no noise, no movement.
    This post replaced my ti (warranty) post also a titec, Mike King and the people at Titec should be commended for their quick and timely warranty replacment program.
    This post looks great and works great. It is very sound and solid. Install it and forget about it!!
    If you are a rider that is looking for comfort, light weight and ease of maintenance than this is the right post for you.

Favorite Trail:   all of 'em

Purchased At:   titec

Similar Products Used:   Thomson (Bent), Syncros, Titec ti, U.S.E. susupension, Easton Carbon...

Bike Setup:   KHS ALITE 4000, White Bros, XTR; Crank, Cassette, Sram 9.0sl, Cane Creek Wheels, lots of ti and carbon parts.

Submitted by Lit a Cross Country Rider from Ft. Walton Bch. FL.

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2002

Strengths:    None that I found

Weaknesses:    Seat Clamp. Cannot keep it tight.

Bottom Line:
    This seat post SUCKS!!! The seatpost will not stay in place. After about five minutes into a ride the seatpost will have already slide down about three inches. I hace tried different seat clamps and without lube. The thing just will not stay tight. I have had four other seatposts in my frame with no problems. I finally got in touch with Mike King at Titec and shipped it out to him. He said he checked it out and it meets the tolerances, so they are responsible to provide a replacement. Sounds to me like thier tolerances are a little to loose. He said he would give me a $20 credit torward the purchase of another product, after I had already spent $7 on shipping. I can't believe I wasted my time and money on this Titec crap.