Titec Knock 'Scoper Seatpost

• Material: 7075-T6 Heat Treated Aluminium
  • Offset: .75"

Submitted by Brett a Downhiller from Utah

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2007

Strengths:    Telescoping

Weaknesses:    Inner tube wont stay tight

Bottom Line:
This thing sucks saddle always moving around underneath me because the clamp doesn't get tight enough. Bent one replaced with a salsa one couldn't get that tight enough bent that one in a day and ordered my new non telescoping post yesterday. Bottom line if you don't ever put any weight side to side on your saddle it rules... but if you do look else where... Gimmick

Favorite Trail:   Shhh

Purchased At:   Ebay

Bike Setup:   Norco Shore,

Submitted by alan a Weekend Warrior from chico

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2007

Strengths:    god sent for small set tube frames , made by titec

Weaknesses:    top clamp is the suk

Bottom Line:
by this goose if you climp in the saddle , it works , i had to cut 2' off the bottum cause it was to long fully compressed, the top clamp lever bent cause its hard to get it tight and not move around , i replased the top lever with a salsa lever and was night and day , i can climb hills with my legs extended , and i can bobm down hill with the seat on the frame , i love it :) way to go titec
by it if you climb on your DH , just replace the top clamp with one stronger ( 10$ LBS)

Favorite Trail:   dirt

Purchased At:   bling bling on ebay

Similar Products Used:   titech nockpost ( rules)

Bike Setup:   bghit04 07sprT ,swinger3,X0,E3,BB7,haloSAS

Submitted by Kenyon a Downhiller from Capitola, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2006

Strengths:    I need the telescoping because the seat tube on my frame curves so it does not alow a seat post that is very long.

Weaknesses:    The top clamp is poorly machined and almost imposible to get the seat clamped in properly. The desing is also not very good and I don't expect it to last very long before I break it.

Bottom Line:
I like the inovation of the telescoping seatpost but in hindsight it is only a 27.5 (I think that is the size I measured) post inserted into the 30.9 post with a second seat clamp. You could make the thing yourself out of a generic post and use a better quality 27.5 post with a better seat clamp. I am thinking that is what I am going to do but now I am out the cost of a second post. Oh well.

I found it so hard to believe that the machining was so poor on the bolts to secure the seat. all four are at slightly different angles and the agles are so much that they are easily visible with the naked eye. I also had to enlarge the holes for the bolts with my drill as two of them where much smaller than the other two and did not alow the bolts to move enough to line them up with the holes in the upper housing. I only gave them 2 chilis because I needed the idea and titec is the only one that made one that I know of.

Favorite Trail:   Juggs

Purchased At:   Family cycling

Similar Products Used:   I have a race face diabolus seat post on my other bike and I like that one a lot.

Bike Setup:   Versus Weapon X, 888 fork, Fox DHX

Submitted by Mike a Weekend Warrior from Ontario

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2006

Strengths:    I can't say that I have found any yet.

Weaknesses:    This is a Gimmic, I see very little value in a telescoping seatpost that you couldn't otherwise recieve from a solid one piece seat post. Titec should work on perfecting its cheap quality seat clamp before it tacles a telescoper which I feel is redundant anyhow. Shinji Mizutani the owner of Titec does not have the best reputation for quality or even a very good human rights policy for his workers. I will never buy Titec components or even bike a bike containing a Titec component.

Bottom Line:
The Titec Scoper is of poor quality and should be used under careful supervision by a loved one, proper lubrication is also recommended for this product. In reference to the Titec Scoper's use on the bicycle, I wouldn't attempt it!

Purchased At:   Came stock on my Norco Fluid 2 2004

Similar Products Used:   A corkscrew may be the best comparison I can make...

Submitted by Erik Solymar a Downhiller from Carp Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2005

Strengths:    Sturdy, gr8 adjustability method, havent lost my place on descents

Weaknesses:    hard to close clamp on upper post, hard to take out and put back in, the top post moves around cuz i cant get it n e tighter.

Bottom Line:
i dont know what the last guy was smoking, beat fish with it? histerical! this post is gr8 if ur not constantly changing seat height.

Favorite Trail:   brians trail at fortune

Purchased At:   came with frame

Bike Setup:   05 Norco Six marzocchi MZ Comp fork and a bunch of other random parts off different bikes that im too laZ to read off

Submitted by Roland Lubiszewski a Weekend Warrior from Stockholm Sweden

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2005

Strengths:    I dunno? Maybe you could use it to clobber fish if you go fishing.

Weaknesses:    Poorly designed, Weak hard to tighen clamp,
Heavy.
Crrreakyy.

Bottom Line:
I dont get it, a seatpost is a piece of tube with a saddle mounting. How is it possible for Titec to make a bad one?

I must be really stupid because i dont get why anyone needs a telescopic seatpost or why they would be better than a regular one. My subjective little opinion is that scopers are generally heavier, less stiff and and The extra clamp doesent allow the seat to be set as low as a regular onepiecer.(if anyone for some reason would need that).

This one i got had a little white plastic spacer between the lever and the clamp wich broke off the first time i tried to tighten the clamp tihgt enough for the tubes not to move around inside eachother when i rode. The finishing of the tubes is not realy "grippy" and that forced me to tighten the clamp rrrrreally hard and now im´ really reluctant to untighten it because it´s a pain in the ass to re-tighten thight enough (i have to use a rubber mallet). So much for the eazy adjustability.

If anyone sill really really wants one you can have mine. Im going back to a cheap regular aluminium one piecer. I think they are stiffer and just as eazy to adjust.

Purchased At:   Came with my frame.

Similar Products Used:   Havent ever tried a component this crappy.

Bike Setup:   05 Banshee scream, 03Marzocchi JrT fork, WTB dualduty rims w DTswiss hubs, Avid juicy five discbrakes, Holzfeller crankset, Sram X9 shifters and derailleurs. Synchros headset and NS extreme handlebar/stem combo.

Submitted by Mark a Weekend Warrior from Perth, Western Australia

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2005

Strengths:    Strong (Knock rated), good seat clamp design, simple.

Weaknesses:    Post clamp quality lets it down a bit.

Bottom Line:
'The' post for the VT frame if you want to get your seat down. The rear shock position on the VT doesn’t allow much lowering of the seat before the post hits. I had trimmed the stock post as much as I could for my full height riding position (with req min insertion) but I still wanted it to be able to go lower than it could for some Freeride/DH stuff. Using the 'Scoper' I can drop the seat over two and a half inches more then any standard post would allow. Unlike one of the other reviewers here my post was not fixed together, its just a 27.2mm post inside a 30.9mm tube with a clamp. The post clamp is the only stinker with this product, the lever feels cheap and flimsy and every time you undo the clamp the tension changes (I guess loctite on the thread might help), I solved the problem by buying a non-QR clamp for the frame tube (my plan anyway) and used the lever, bolt and nut from the Giant clamp to 'upgrade' the Titec clamp, now its very strong and functions perfectly... What gives Titec? Get a new supplier of clamps, surely you can't make this one yourselves? ... it would be 5 stars with a decent clamp.

Purchased At:   www.fortheriders.com

Similar Products Used:   Standard seat posts

Bike Setup:   Giant VT3 04, Raceface bash ring, Titec blockhead stem, Raceface lock-ons, Primo Tenderiser pedals, Panaracer Fire XC tyres

Submitted by Dave from Vancouver, BC

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2004

Strengths:    Looks cool, the finish is remarkably durable. Works well for bikes with an interrupted seat tube.

Weaknesses:    Heavier than it has to be (it's really, really heavy). Clamp is a little cheap, needs frequent lubrication.

Bottom Line:
If you have an interrupted seat tube bike for free riding, then this product simply works. You will be able to get a better range of seat height with the Titec than with any standard post.

The second reviewer mentioned a bulge at the top of the "inner" post, just below the clamp. This is true but the bulge is only 1 inch long, as long as you clamp below this bulge, you will not have to adjust the clamp.

Submitted by Rob wotzanapollohimalaya a Weekend Warrior from sydney australia

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2004

Strengths:    can lower my post now for some DH bombin' and freeriding
light
strong

Weaknesses:    weird seat clamp... fiddly
clamp is a bit cheap

Bottom Line:
amazin!

it has transformed my bike

yes, the VT is a great climber and has a comfortable sorta XC geometry BUT it feels nervous descending because you just can't lower the seat enuff in standard form

with the soper, i feel so much better pullin' off crazy stuff and descending cause i can lower the seat alot more without hitting the shock

i love it!

it also looks cool... IMO

Favorite Trail:   oakes

Purchased At:   phantom cycles

Similar Products Used:   nil... first ever telescopic post

Bike Setup:   2004 Giant VT3 - mostly stock

Submitted by Joe a Downhiller from Vancouver

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2004

Strengths:    Heavier gauge than other telescoping posts. Nice appearance.

Weaknesses:    There is a bulge at the top of the post which creates a difference in clamping diameter between the down position and extended position. The top clamping portion of the post is fitted permantely into the sleeve of the seatpost at the time of manufacture, unfortunately this has been done poorly and the the post bulges out at this section. What this means is that in the extended position your seat post quick release will clamp, but in the down position it will not close. Each and every time you adjust your saddle height to it's lowest position you will also have to spend wasted time changing the quick release setting.

Very cheap quick release is included with the post, and only the top one.

Very expensive for what you get.

Bottom Line:
A faulty product.

Purchased At:   Banshee Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Praxys telescoping seatpost.

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider from Boise, ID

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2004

Strengths:    Moving the post way up and down with an FSR suspension. Not damaging my shock.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
This post makes it possible to raise and lower your saddle fully on an FSR, where normally the post would hit the shock. This is great for me because even though I'm not really doing "freeriding", I still like to climb normally and then lower the saddle quite a bit to descend. I couldn't do that before on my FSR. This post is super strong and has a warranty where they'll replace it if it ever breaks, no questions asked. Seems pretty cool.

Similar Products Used:   No similar designs.

Bike Setup:   Specialized FSR Enduro, Hayes discs, XTR.