Titec AL 7075 T6 Seatpost

Titec AL 7075 T6

Submitted by Chris from San Francisco

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2007

Strengths:    Good clamp design allows for a lot of seat positions that don't slip. Made in a lot of obscure sizes. And the price.

Weaknesses:    WEAK! The aluminum post cracked at the top where the clamp inserts.

Bottom Line:
This post cracked at the top where the clamp inserts into the aluminum post. About a 1 inch vertical crack straight down from the top. The clamp assembly hasn't started to loosen from the post yet, but I'm not waiting for this to happen. Straight to the trash.

The best part is that it did this under my wife's 120lb butt. Granted, her bike is a hardtail, but it hasn't seen a drop bigger than riding over the curb, and she only spends about a quarter of the time off road. For this thing to fail under these conditions is ridiculous. The $10 Tahoma post she originally had held up just fine for 2 years, too bad it was just too short. 120 lbs!!

I wouldn't put this post on a child's bike. Next time I'm just sacking up and buying a Thomson.

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Thomson, Syncros, Tahoma.

Submitted by Zachary a Cross Country Rider from Colorado

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2006

Strengths:    seat doesn't slip even a little and the one I have has held up well on my Single Speed. They make them in hard to find sizes.

Weaknesses:    Apparently the narrower versions have strength issues.

Bottom Line:
I would like to clarify that I am writing a review for two of them used on two different bikes. The one on the Single Speed Fisher is bomber! I have been happy with it in every way. I used to have a Thomson on that bike and have not noted the difference. This one was a silver shot peened 31.6 x 350mm

The second failed miserably. It was on my father's Caldera and was a 26.8 x 300mm. This one was not shot peened and had a black finish. The shaft snapped right below the clamp junction.

Judge for yourself on this one. I ride mine hard on a fully rigid SS. My father rides less intense stuff but weighs in at 200 and takes most of his bumps seated. Old roadie habit I guess.

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Thomson, Easton, Bontrager

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Single Speed.
Kona Caldera

Submitted by Hardtailforever a Racer from Roseville, MN. USA

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2004

Strengths:    Relibable, Strong, Stiff enough for only 26.8
Very micro adjustable (as opposed to splined head, which gives a few degrees per spline)
Keeps adjustment if saddle is changed (by leaving front bolt on)

Weaknesses:    Rear bolt is too long (poked my Aliante until I cut it down)
Hard to install saddle in the first place
Not real light

Bottom Line:
Came stock on my bike. It has served me well enough for the few years I've ridden it. Never slipped, tilted, loosened up or made a peep, despite numerous crashes and a hard year of racing last year. It just did its thing and I forgot about it until it came time to get a lighter one.
I can't give it a perfect score, since I had to cut the bolt to make room for the undercut in the middle of my Aliante saddle, and it's a bit of a pain in the rear to install the seat in the first place. Otherwise performed admirably, especially compared to ritchey and bontrager splined posts I've used.

I just upgraded to the Carbolite for weight savings and carbon feel. Otherwise the post has served me well enough.

Favorite Trail:   Lebanon hills

Purchased At:   Stock on bike

Similar Products Used:   Cheap stock stuff, Salsa CroMo, Answer Carbolite, Thomson Elite, Easton EC70, FSA carbon

Bike Setup:   '01 Homegrown, XTR shifters/derailleurs (02), LX crank, Thomson stem, Titec Flat-tracker bar, King/CX-ray/x517 wheels, Avid Ti brakes with Ultimate levers, Answer Carbolite with Aliante Ti

Submitted by Tino a Weekend Warrior from Manchvegas

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2002

Strengths:    does what its suppose to do, a seatpost for $10? come on? how could you pass that deal up?

Weaknesses:    creaks a bit, a little flexy, pain in the ass to adjust/install

Bottom Line:
Well if this thing cost anymore than $10 i'd say it wouldnt be so good but......it only cost $10

Purchased At:   titec.com

Similar Products Used:   race face prodigy, coda suspension

Bike Setup:   RM Pipeline - super t qr20, 26" front mommoth, 24" rear trailpimp, 2.35 in tires, race face dh cranks, hayes discs, monkey bar, cheap flat pedals, azonic shorty stem

Submitted by Bob a Weekend Warrior from Littleton, CO

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2002

Strengths:    Does what it's supposed to do: hold the seat.

Weaknesses:    I little hard to adjust, but not a big deal.

Bottom Line:
This post has worked fine for me. I weigh 195 lbs and I have never had a problem with this post. No bending, no squeeking, nothing.

Purchased At:   used

Bike Setup:   Serotta CST soft tail, XTR, Hayes, SID

Submitted by shaun from moss beach

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2002

Strengths:    they has a 26.6 for my old bonty frame. looks the part. light

Weaknesses:    the thumbscrew thing is not a good design, as it is hard to reach. i have the thumscrew down all the way and the nose of the saddle is still up a couple of degrees. that is bad for my nuts. the bolt in the back was only engaging a few threads so i changed that before something bad happend.

Bottom Line:
even at 10 bucks, a very marginal product. if it bends like everyone else's seems to i'll drop this to one turd.

Favorite Trail:   dirt ones

Purchased At:   titec on-line

Similar Products Used:   all sorts of posts.

Bike Setup:   brased bonty single speed.

Submitted by John O'Neill from Ireland

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2002

Strengths:    Are you kidding me?

Weaknesses:    Questional durability

Bottom Line:
I wouldn't reccomend this product to anyone, unless they weighed about 80 pounds. I'm about 180 pounds and I broke mine in three yes 3 days or around three and a half hours riding. First it bent then the bolt bent and then during my only race the whole thing fell apart. The front bolt snapped the rear one bent and the post itself bent about 30 degrees. Not good.

Bike Setup:   Planet-X Jack Flash with Z1's and so on and so forth

Submitted by Rob a Cross Country Rider from Toronto

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2001

Strengths:    None at all.

Weaknesses:    Really dumb bolt design. Flexy. Bends.

Bottom Line:
I somehow managed to get a little farther than other reviewers before the post bent, but once it went, it really went. After this thing ruined what had been a good day of riding, I went straight out and got a Thomson. I never realized just how much flex I was experiencing until I got a real post. I actually have a hardtail now. I am no longer wasting my energy on my rides. I swear, a good quarter of my power must have gone straight into lower back pain. Much happier now.

Similar Products Used:   I now ride a Thomson

Bike Setup:   '99 Homegrown

Submitted by SFA a Downhiller from NJ

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2001

Strengths:    It holds the seat on. It was cheap.

Weaknesses:    Sometimes it doesn't hold the seat on, the clamp is weak, the bolts are weak, it creaks.

Bottom Line:
It's a POS. It wasn't a bad deal for $12 used though. I usually drop the seat down as far as it goes so it doesn't really matter. The crappy aluminum nut for the rear bolt got ripped in half and pulled through the clamp. Both of the bolts got bent. The knob is a pain in the ass to turn because you can't get your fingers between the rails and the clamp. I wouldn't get one if it costs more than $15 new. The #1 weakness with it is that it's thicker at the top so if you drop it down in the frame, you also have to adjust the qr to get the right tension. It's a more time consuming process than adjusting a post with the right diameter that's not quick release. I would buy a thomson but I have no money.

Favorite Trail:   allamuchy

Purchased At:   mtbr

Similar Products Used:   kalloy crap, thomson, ritchey

Bike Setup:   Azonic ds-2, z3, azonic/titec, lx/xt.

Submitted by P from Finland

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2001

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Bends extremely easy

Bottom Line:
Installed one, and it could not take cruising along pavement to visit a friend. I had 6 inches of post visible, saddle was centrally located and did not receive any impacts.

Can't still believe how weak these Titec posts are. No words can describe how much these suck. I would not install one into my bike even if I got a truckload of Titec posts for free.

Similar Products Used:   Many, this is the ultimate bottom of them all

Submitted by Matt LOBO a Cross Country Rider from Rolla MO

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2001

Strengths:    Cheap

Weaknesses:    cheap

Bottom Line:
HOLY POS BATMAN!!! wow, nothing but problems from all these people, maybe titec will get the idea to drop this thing. I mean this was stock on teh frame when i bought ti and i know now that we are dealing with a 2500$ bike i should go up in quality, i am just holding out. After the first bolt bent at the head and they replaced it, it was all down hill. since then in the last 3 months i have managed to take it from true, to 15 degrees off. HOW THE HECK DOES THAT HAPPEN. i mean all of a sudden the damn thing just turned on me, i know i have been riding harder in the last 3 months, btu this is excessive. the most i have done is some dirt jumping and DH stuff, but it should hold up to that. Oh well time to buy something new. DO NOT BUY THIS UNLESS YOU ARE A WEEKEND WARRIOR LOOKING FOR A NICE, NAME BRAND POST. IT IS NOT A GOOD ABUSABLE POST.

Favorite Trail:   fast

Similar Products Used:   fast feather racing

Bike Setup:   Voodoo FS, Marzzochi Z2, stratos AR1, XT der.,raceface, rhynolite magura hs33, titec seatpost stem and hellbent bar.

Submitted by Tibor a Weekend Warrior from San Francisco CA

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2001

Strengths:    it's a seat post that works, stays in place once adjusted, light

Weaknesses:    difficult to adjust initally

Bottom Line:
As long as your fingers aren't as thick as bratwurst, you can adjust this, though it does work differently than most seatposts so can seem difficult at first. Once its adjusted it works fine- very stable. I think a few of these guys never set it up right.

Favorite Trail:   China Camp

Purchased At:   SuperGo

Similar Products Used:   crap

Bike Setup:   p.o.s.

Submitted by Mountain Man a Cross Country Rider from Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2000

Strengths:    Strong, pimpin' looks.

Weaknesses:    The head design sucks because the knob is too high in the saddle, but it is very strong. The anodization scratches easily.

Bottom Line:
The reviewers below must be the worst mechanics on the planet. Sure, it's hard to turn the adjuster knob by hand, which is why you use an ALLEN KEY on the other end. To keep the clamp from bending and creaking, tighten both bolts snugly once the saddle's at the right angle. Don't just leave them loose!
Also, if it still creaks, it's the seat rails. Apply a little spray lube onto the surface of the rails and reinstall it.
I admit the adjuster knob is high enough for the seat to bottom onto it. However, for 2001, Titec designed a new clamp to fix this.
I have no idea how people have bent the shaft itself. Maybe they used it above the limit line. I weigh 150lbs., use a Titec Berserkr saddle, and ride every bit as hard as the reviewers below. And Canadian trails can get rather rough.
Really, if you're not a good enough mechanic to know how to properly install a SEAT POST, then sell your bike and take up golf!

Favorite Trail:   Bird Sanctuary

Similar Products Used:   Everything

Bike Setup:   '00 Schwinn Moab 1, LX/XTR, Syncros, Titec, blah blah...

Submitted by ALEX LEBLANC a Weekend Warrior from CANADA

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2000

Strengths:    absolutely none

Weaknesses:    cheap piece of S**T
bends
bolts strip
horrible design
refuse to WARRANTY

Bottom Line:
the bottom line is that if i could give this piece of junk 0 pieces of s**T i would.
i went jumping for one day actually the first day and bent it i didnt even land hard on it i overshot a superman and took a little shot and i only weigh 125 lbs and then i rode it bent cause i didnt care and i was riding a street obstacle and i bumped it a bit and that piece of junk bolt stripped then i made the mistake of buying another titec post and it just broke i hate titec and i hope they know it
ps the only reason im putting stars is cause if i dont they wont let me put this review on

Favorite Trail:   STREET