Thomson Elite Seatpost

4.77/5 (405 Reviews)
Weight : 228 grams MSRP : $99.95

Over 40% stronger on ultimate strength test than the strongest production seatposts on the market.

Submitted by akatim

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2014

Strengths:    Solid, stable, no slippage, light, strong.

Bottom Line:
The best. Have had this on this on my mountain bike since 2002 (or so). Rode in every condition, every type of trail. I've replaced crank, shifters, fork, handlebar, stem, etc. But the seat post holds strong.

Now 12 years later, still attached to the same Selle Italia Flyte seat, the same post is going on my new bike.

Submitted by flyboycj87 a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2012

Strengths:    tough, pretty, ages well, light, durable

Weaknesses:    pricey

Bottom Line:
they're classics for a reason. if you're willing to shell out the $$, you won't be disappointed. light, tough, good looking seat post. can't ask for more.

Bike Setup:   XC/AM hardtail

Submitted by Troy Fretwell

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2012

Strengths:    never creaks, awesome finish looks new for years

Weaknesses:    really spendy for a seatpost

Bottom Line:
Thomson rocks.
This is a spendy seatpost, but you will not be sorry.
Really light, easy to setup, and an amazing finish.
Looks like brand new for several years of riding. You can swap it from frame to frame as you upgrade.

Submitted by Swalbr

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2012

Strengths:    Light, well made, beautifully machined.

Weaknesses:    Pain in the ass to setup and keep from slipping

Bottom Line:
Want to love this post, it looks great on my black CAAD 8 roadie and the 250 mm is hard to find in any other brand. I find that my saddle will not keep from moving in the post, despite how much I tighten. I've far exceeded the toque limit and stripped bolts trying to set the saddle.. I don't know why, it's a simple design to setup. Just won't stay put, I have to keep adjusting.

Submitted by rimrider36 a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2012

Strengths:    Well designed and solid build. Adjustability.

Weaknesses:    Longevity. Difficult to clean and change saddles.

Bottom Line:
This seat post worked fine for a couple of years then started to creak. Lubed, changed saddle, friction assembly paste, new seat clamp. Still had creak. Changed seatpost and no creak. Given the price, I think that there are better options.

Similar Products Used:   Many

Bike Setup:   29er single speed, steel frame.

Submitted by willem3 a Cross Country Rider from Bend, Oregon USA

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2011

Strengths:    Beautiful design. Works well at first.

Weaknesses:    Adjustability. The bolts tend to bend even when using the perfect amount of torque as specified by Thomson. The post starts to creak and needs service on a frequent basis in our dusty environment here in Bend, Oregon. It is not set and forget.

Bottom Line:
I initially loved the Elite posts. I have owned a few. Overtime, I began to realize the amount of service they require. I am very careful with my equipment and never overtorque. I had to purchase two bolt kits from my local dealer and found that greased or ungreased the post began to creak within a few rides. This happened on both of my bikes. I finally decided to replace my seatpost collars thinking that was the issue. I replaced the Hope Quick Releases with the Salsa QR's on both bikes. The problem did not go away. Finally, as an experiment I decided to try a different saddle. Still no change. Each time, I completely cleaned, regreased and properly installed the Thomson post. My final step was to purchase a RaceFace Next SL post to see if that solved the problem. It did. Now two months later, not one creak or noise at all. Flawless.

These posts tend to get the automatic five chilis on both Value and Overall on MTBR. For me, after a long-term evaluation, this is not the case. They seemed that way at first, but quickly disapointed. The RaceFace posts have been great on both my bikes. I now run the Salsa QR with the Race Face NEXT SL and WTB Rocket V Race (Titanium rails) saddles on both of my bikes. Totally solid.

Favorite Trail:   Mrazek

Purchased At:   WebCyclery

Similar Products Used:   Synchros, Race Face Next SL, etc...

Bike Setup:   Ventana El Comandante Singlespeed and a Banshee Viento

Submitted by rod vargas a Cross Country Rider from Bolivia

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2011

Strengths:    strong, looks good and does the job

Weaknesses:    a little heavy compared to competitors , for weight freaks: get the masterpiece.

Bottom Line:
after using it for 10 years it's correct to finally submit a review on this product,
it's the best seatpost ever, the color is still on, the letters to considering i move it on every ride. i has never been re adjusted, no squeeks, absolutely stiff.
i use it on XC and downhill situtations.

Favorite Trail:   el cristo in cochabamba`

Purchased At:   online somewhere

Similar Products Used:   many that suck

Bike Setup:   cannondale f 3000 y2k xtr,crossmax,selle italia and off course thomson elite./iron horse yakuza.

Submitted by SLORider a Cross Country Rider from San Luis Obispo

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2011

Strengths:    Great seatpost, light and looks pretty

Weaknesses:    Its pretty expensive.

Bottom Line:
The thomson seatpost is a work of art and highly engineered. I dont know why people are complaining that their seatposts are bending, if its bending they most likely are putting to much force on the seatpost, perhaps do to crash, foot coming off of pedal, etc... I personally think its awesome that the seatpost is designed to bend at a given force so that it does not destroy the bike frame. Below is a segment taken directly off of thomsons website concerning their product. Its a great seatpost, I wouldn't put this seatpost on my junker unless I had cash to burn, which I don't unfortunately.

/* The Thomson seatpost design incorporates a bending fuse to prevent catastrophic failure. All competitive seatposts we tested failed catastrophically with the seat and clamp components, and sometimes pieces of the tube and head flying off in all directions.

The Thomson seatpost has a clamp, head, and upper tube strong enough to withstand 350 foot-lbs of torque. The tube will start to yield and bend at the seat tube clamp at about 250 foot-lbs of torque. Under severe impact the Thomson seatpost will bend slightly and allow the rider to come to a safe stop or finish the ride.

Favorite Trail:   Demonstration Forest, Santa Cruz

Purchased At:   Cambria Bikes

Similar Products Used:   There are no similar products like the thomson.

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Blur LT, the Blur LT is an awesome bike and the thomson rounds it out.

Submitted by malsta1 a Cross Country Rider from Australia

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2011

Strengths:    Strong, very good finish, long lasting.

Weaknesses:    None whatsoever.

Bottom Line:
I replaced the origional seatpost for a Thompson and what a difference it made.
This would have to be my best upgrade so far.
I would highly recommend this product.

Purchased At:   jensonusa

Bike Setup:   Specialized Stumpjumper. No longer origional.

Submitted by mikeebear a Cross Country Rider from Brick, NJ

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2011

Strengths:    Going strong for years

Weaknesses:    None that I have ever had

Bottom Line:
I have had the Thompson elite for twelve years on my KHS FXT no creaks no problems ever. I probably never have to get another for another ten years as long as I don't crack it.

Purchased At:   Mccormicks Bike shop

Bike Setup:   KHS FXT custom build 12 years old but works great.

Submitted by eshew a Weekend Warrior from Seattle

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2011

Strengths:    Plenty strong, beautiful, trouble free.

Weaknesses:    Not idiot proof
Don't grease your seat post! It may start slipping & moving.

If it creaks tighten the 2 bolts that hold the seat.

Bottom Line:
Great post. Have had 2 of these posts for 6 years and they are still going strong!

Just installed an old post into a new (to me) ebay frame. Previous owner of the frame decided to coat the seatpost tube interoir with grease. This is causing some seatpost slippage but I'll get some DAWN or grease cutter to clean it out, should stop the slippage. If not I will clean the post & toss a coat or 2 of paint on the lower part. It's been used so much the black anodizing is worn off.

Favorite Trail:   Galbraith

Purchased At:   Dropnzone.com

Similar Products Used:   Syncros, OEM stuff

Bike Setup:   Kona Dawg, Kona Stinky Primo

Submitted by Mountain Cycle Shawn a Cross Country Rider from So Cal!

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2010

Strengths:    It's on of a few parts that I never have to worry about.

Weaknesses:    It does what it is supposed to do, every ride.

Bottom Line:
I just doesn't get any better. All bike parts should be this good!

Favorite Trail:   all of them

Purchased At:   Ebay used

Similar Products Used:   many

Bike Setup:   I have used it on many Mountain Cycle bikes, now it's on my Carbon HT.

Submitted by onegymrat a Weekend Warrior from Southern California, USA

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2010

Strengths:    Sturdy and fairly light

Weaknesses:    Zero

Bottom Line:
Thomson products are simply dependable. The adjustments to this seatpost are precise and they never waver. The markings are easy to see on the head of the post. No creaks, no noise, perfect. You can always find lighter posts (carbon or Thomson Masterpiece) but you may sacrifice piece of mind. They are solid and unbreakable but still fairly light.

Favorite Trail:   Mon

Purchased At:   Some online site...