Syncros Hardcore Seatpost Seatpost

3.97/5 (35 Reviews)
Weight : 220g

• The ultimate high performance hardcore post. Custom hard-drawn, heat-treated and stress-relieved 7075T78 aluminum. It delivers 5 times the shock absorbency of cromoly.
  • No need to stress. Our world-famous pivoting twin- bolt mechanism reduces stress and maximizes grip during even the most insane and precipitous descents.
  • True micro-adjustability. A simple twist of the Allan key is all it takes for the optimal saddle position.

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Peter Kumble a Cross Country Rider from Logan, Utah

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2007

Strengths:    Light weight, easy to adjust

Weaknesses:    none that I have encountered

Bottom Line:
    Unlike some of the horror stories on this seat post, I have not had one problem, no cracking or breakage. I don't know if those who did had items from a bad batch or what.

Purchased At:   Excel Sports

Bike Setup:   Used on my road bike, a Merlin

Submitted by Mike Schmidt a Weekend Warrior from Stirling, NJ

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2006

Strengths:    CNC Machined, looks nice and is low key, easy to adjust saddle

Weaknesses:    It broke. The item failed and I could have been seriously injured. The top of the tube cracked where the head is fastened to the tube cracked. I first noticed this during a ride on a flat trail. Cinder dirt with mild bumps and ruts. Mind you that I do not thrash this bike. No downhill riding, no technical riding. The seat started to swivel side to side. At first I thought that I did not have the seatpost clamped tight enough, but that checked out OK. When I got the bike home, I removed the seat post and found the crack. It appears that if I had not found the crack, the seat and head could have detached from the bike.

Bottom Line:
    If anyone is using this seatpost, please check the seatpost for cracks or signs of fatique. I am rating the product poor because the product failed with only light usage. Product safety is paramount, no matter how hot the part looks.

Favorite Trail:   D&R trail in NJ

Purchased At:   Don't remember

Bike Setup:   1998 Trek 9900 Carbon Hardtail with XTR, Judy SL Front fork, WTB saddle

Submitted by Tony a Cross Country Rider from Earth

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2004

Strengths:    Strong
    Micro-adjustable

Weaknesses:    Could come in a set-back position, but then again, that would nullify the micro-adjust in the first place.

Bottom Line:
    IMHO, Thomson makes the finest seatposts and stems on the market. They're all forged from a single piece of aluminum block. However, props have to go Syncros because they're the guys who actually invented the two-bolt microadjustable seatpost - Thomson simply copied the design. Anyhow, I got the Syncros at a killer discount, so no complaints. Post works as advertised and doesn't squeak.

Similar Products Used:   Thomson

Bike Setup:   Yeti A.R.C.
    Tommasini Sintesi

Submitted by Makilach a Weekend Warrior from Cumming, GA

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2003

Strengths:    Tough as nails.

Weaknesses:    Hard to set up. Bolts too short had to replace them.

Bottom Line:
    I am a huge guy (6'3 and 290) and I really ride my bike hard. This thing must be bullet proof. No flex no bend even after some serious crashes and some modest drops (6ft). The only complaint I have is that the stock bolts were too short for the way I like my seat so a trip to ACE hardware and $2 later I had some powder coated replacements with plenty of room for my seat angle. Also the instructions were pathetic to say the least. Great product when I manage to break this I hope they have more to replace it with.

Favorite Trail:   Flat ones

Purchased At:   PricePoint.com

Similar Products Used:   Kalloy crap that was too short.

Submitted by Brian a Weekend Warrior from Scotland

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2002

Strengths:    AT the time it was "Syncros! its as good as it gets"

Weaknesses:    Now its "Syncros! at less than half price"

Bottom Line:
    The reason I bought one is simple.They come in ALL sizes.I have a 29.4 job and I wanted a good post.BUT Like my mates(29.4 also)It creaks and moves(turning) where the assembly joins the actual post itself.Not good especially when you`re trying to take it out.

Favorite Trail:   Glentrool

Purchased At:   Armstrongs of Belfast

Similar Products Used:   Use,Kooka,Control Tech

Bike Setup:   Steel hardtail

Submitted by leather-cheerio a Cross Country Rider from Muttontown, NY

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2002

Strengths:    Strong, Light, Forgettable

Bottom Line:
    Being a true clydesdale (6'3" 270lbs) I run an 18" hardtail with 8" of post showing. After numerous post failures I tried the Syncros. Even though I check it after every ride I know now that I dont have too, no slippage, bending....nothing. Bombproof. I ride hard for a big bastaige too. Set it and forget it. Buy this or the Thompson.

Favorite Trail:   Catacombs at Bethpage

Purchased At:   Bike Planet

Similar Products Used:   Control Tech, Ritchey, GT, Answer

Bike Setup:   Full XTR Zaskar, 'Zokes Z3, Sun Rhynos, Raceface

Submitted by Todd a Weekend Warrior from Dallas, TX

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2002

Strengths:    Apparently it's very strong, light.

Weaknesses:    Apparently it's not very strong.

Bottom Line:
    I got this post on a used SC Tazmon frame, so I think it's about six years old. It was fine for a ride or two, then I noted it was swiveling on the post. At first, I thought the post wasn't tightened in the seat tube, so I cranked it down a bit more. Then I discovered it was the clamp/collar that was moving. Not good, but at least it didn't break off and cause me any injury. Maybe I got a really old post that had been damaged in a crash, I dunno. But I don't seem to be alone with this problem, and it sounds like Syncros had some issues with the bonding here. I had purchased another Syncros stem for cheap, but I've since sent that one back, just because of that old "fool me once, shame on you..." thing. Your experience may be different.

Purchased At:   with used bike

Similar Products Used:   OEM

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Tazmon

Submitted by Brian Russell a Racer from Tennessee

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2001

Strengths:    None know at this time.

Weaknesses:    It broke and almost killed me.

Bottom Line:
    I suffered the exact same failure as Dave below--a break where the saddle holder goes into the post. I was almost castrated. The thing is my post was at the earliest a 1999 so I think that was before Syncros was sold but I don't know. Anyway avoid this post if you want to have children.

Favorite Trail:   Tsali

Purchased At:   used

Similar Products Used:   Considering the potentially lethal nature of this post similar products which I have used include handguns, TNT, Ford Pintos, etc.

Bike Setup:   At this point it is a Colnago Technos with and broken seatpost and no saddle.

Submitted by Dave from Oak Bluffs MA.

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2001

Bottom Line:
    I rode Syncros seat posts for many years on my 8 year old Litespeed and my Alien before that. About 5 years ago I broke my post where one of the adjusting bolts went through the head. No big deal. 6 months ago I put Syncros seat posts on my Tandem. 3 months ago I snapped my Syncros post on my Litespeed where the head is pressed and bonded into the post it self. The seat came up and smacked me in the nuts and I crashed and just about passed out. When I went to replace it the shop I deal with tried to talk me out of a Syncros as they as he said has diminished in quality drastically . Last week the front seat post on my Tandem snapped in the same place. I can see how they have changed to cut costs. I am replacing all my seat posts with Thomson before another breaks.
    I have heard that Syncros has been bought by Pacific Bicycles, the same people who flood the chain store markets with bicycle like objects.
    Huffy is buying GT and Schwinn. Junk Begets Junk. Trash begets Trash.

Purchased At:   mail order

Bike Setup:   1993 E-stay Litespeed. King Head set and hubs with ceramic rims. Cook brothers cranks. Good Bike

Submitted by Paul a Cross Country Rider from Sydney, NSW, Australia

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2001

Strengths:    Weight, strength, looks good in black, setup.

Weaknesses:    None as yet. Although I've only been using it for a week.

Bottom Line:
    A great product that is easy to setup and looks good to boot.
    I gave up trying to get a Ritchey replacement and went with Syncros because they made them in every diameter known to man.

Favorite Trail:   Blue Mountains

Similar Products Used:   Ritchy, USE Suspension Post

Bike Setup:   98 Specialised M2 S-Works, chris king headset, time pedals, xtr brakes, shifters, etc, Marzochi forks.

Submitted by Derek a Cross Country Rider from Wilmington, DE

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2001

Strengths:    It works
    Won't break
    Pretty light
    Great clamp

Bottom Line:
    It works. Had this post for five years and my seat post is always where it's supposed to be. Changed the seat a few times and the bolts havn't frozen, or striped. It's pretty light. Can't say that I've had any problems with the Thomson either though, but the Syncros looks better, and shows less wear from being clamp in the frame. Not cheap.

Similar Products Used:   Thomson
    Answer
    Bontrager

Bike Setup:   Just the way I like it.

Submitted by Mike a Weekend Warrior from San Diego

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2001

Strengths:    Stiff, seat clamp is easy to fine tune the seat angle, nicely finished which doesn't change with age, great quality

Weaknesses:    Threaded brass nuts stripped out after 2 years use, but GT immediately sent me some aluminum replacements-great service! Doesn't have much setback if you need it.

Bottom Line:
    Excellent product. I've abused this post for over 2 years on a couple different bikes. It still looks brand new and works as good as day 1. The only problem I had was stripping out the brass nuts, which was probably my fault, as I've been experimenting with various seats. After all the tightening & untightening, they finally went. A phone call to GT & 3 days later replacements were at my door. Thanks Guys!!

I'm impressed with the quality & performance of this post. If you want a post that will last & do a great job for as long as you need it to, buy Syncros. It's definitely worth your money!

Similar Products Used:   Kore, Shimano XT, Ritchey, Kalloy Uno

Bike Setup:   Jamis Dakar Team

Submitted by Lou a Cross Country Rider from Staten Island,NY,USA

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2000

Strengths:    One of the few, high end seatpost to come in 29.4.

Weaknesses:    Hard to adjust. Syncros is not what they used to be. Almost gave me a second hole on my behind.

Bottom Line:
    At one time Syncros was known as a company that built their products to last through the hardest conditions. That has changed. I've had nothing but problems with their products lately, and this was the last staw.
    The seatpost shaft cracked and separated from the clamp, causing me to crash and leaving a huge scar on my behind! No product should be made so light that this should happen.
    In case it matters, I'm 5'11", 190lbs., had 8" of post showing and I'm semi-hardcore.

Favorite Trail:   anywhere technical